Page 1257 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 25775711571207124712551256125712581259126713071357 ... LastLast
Results 12,561 to 12,570 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

Re: Jab's Builds!

Quote Originally Posted by luketheduke86 View Post
    Since Captain Marvel isn't available, my personal vote would be for Captain Thunder.
    Well, the name situation hasn't changed since the 60s. All Marvel's trademark means is that the words 'Captain Marvel' can't appear on the packaging of toys, the covers of books, and so on. He's been called Capt. Marvel since 1940 up til 2011, it was just that the Franchise is 'Shazam'. I explain it to people that its like how The Legend of Zelda and Metroid franchises are about Link and Samus respectively. Cap can and has been called Captain Marvel inside the books, on TV shows and in video games.

Captain Thunder, I believe, is a trademark held by someone else.

I would just think there's a simple way to handle this. Since the Shazam franchise is about a lot of heroes joined by that word, it makes sense to call thr whole thing Shazam. Just talk with Marvel, and work some deal out that any toys or books with Cap have to refer to him as 'Capt. Marvel', and has to include the word Shazam in a font larger than 'Capt. Marvel' by at least 2 to 4 points. Done deal. Marvel can call whomever they give the name to Captain Marvel, and DC can have Capt. Marvel on products so long as Shazam is still the most prominent word on the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Well, the name situation hasn't changed since the 60s. All Marvel's trademark means is that the words 'Captain Marvel' can't appear on the packaging of toys, the covers of books, and so on. He's been called Capt. Marvel since 1940 up til 2011, it was just that the Franchise is 'Shazam'. I explain it to people that its like how The Legend of Zelda and Metroid franchises are about Link and Samus respectively. Cap can and has been called Captain Marvel inside the books, on TV shows and in video games.

I would just think there's a simple way to handle this. Since the Shazam franchise is about a lot of heroes joined by that word, it makes sense to call thr whole thing Shazam. Just talk with Marvel, and work some deal out that any toys or books with Cap have to refer to him as 'Capt. Marvel', and has to include the word Shazam in a font larger than 'Capt. Marvel' by at least 2 to 4 points. Done deal. Marvel can call whomever they give the name to Captain Marvel, and DC can have Capt. Marvel on products so long as Shazam is still the most prominent word on the product.
    Hell, just reach some kind of co-ownership deal like with the trademark for 'super hero' and have it so that DC's version of the title is 'Captain Marvel and the Power of Shazam' and Marvel should just say 'Carol Danvers: Captain Marvel'.

Y'know, this wouldn't be a problem if the House of Ideas were still called Atlas Comics or Timely Comics.
    Formerly Narsil.

MCRN Admiral

Piranacon

PIRANACON
    Alternate Mode:
    None
    Role: Elite Monster
    Group Affiliations: The Decepticons, The Seacons
    PL 15 (180)- Summon Rank 12
    STRENGTH
    15 STAMINA -- AGILITY -1
    FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
    Intimidation 10 (+9, +15 Size)
    Perception 2 (+1)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Takedown 2, Ultimate Toughness Save, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
    "Killer Robot"
    Senses 2 (Extended & Low-Light Vision) [2]
    Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
    Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
    "Robot Legs" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"100% Sensical and Consistent Transformer Size"
    Growth 13 (Str & Toughness +13, +13 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -13 Stealth) -- (75 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [27]
    Protection 5 [5]
    Strength-Damage +3 [3]

"Targetmaster- One Forms The Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [41]
    "Skalor- Corrosive Slime-Shooter" Blast 12 Linked to Weaken Toughness 14 (Extras: Affects Objects, Ranged)
    • (66) -- (68 points)
    • AE: "Tentakil- 50,000 Volt Lightning Rifle/Seawing- Dual Proton Blaster/Whatever Overbite's Is" Blast 16 (Feats: Variable) (Extras: Multiattack) (49)
    • AE: "Nautilator- Heat-Seeking Torpedo Cannon" Blast 15 (Feats: Ricochet 3, Extended Range 2) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (50)

Offense:
    Unarmed +11 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
    Blaster +10 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
    Torpedo Cannon +15 Area (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
    Initiative -1

Defenses:
    Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +18, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
    Enemy (The Autobots)
    Disabled (Lack of Energon)- Transformers require lots of energy to function.
    Involuntary Transformation (Separate Components)- Some odd things can break apart a Gestalt- being shot in a specific area, or simply being subjected to an earthquake. In these cases, the Gestalt breaks down and the separate Combiners fall to the ground. They seem to be unable or unwilling to just pop back together once this happens.
    Obsession (Hunting & Killing)- Piranacon will not stop attacking until he is either dead or out of energy. This is so extreme that Snaptrap has had to install a timer to prevent Piranacon from staying formed for too long.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 48 + 76 / Defenses: 27 (180)

-Piranacon is the sum total of the six Seacons- notable on the surface because like Devastator and Predaking, he has a color scheme. But unlike them, his is the most feminine, '80s-style color scheme imaginable, which is why he is SO RAD. Also in part because he's also among the most-implacable Decepticons- a ravenous killer who will never stop until he physically cannot move any longer. Naturally, Megatron is a big fan of his soldier.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 05-26-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Something touched on earlier, the War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron games are a really solid streamlined Transformers retelling. They do a solid job of making the lore work and explain things. There, Grimlock is kind of like the Hulk from Avengers:EMH, he has normal intelligence, but he's really pissed off, making it hard to think, and the madder he gets, the more Hulk-speak he gets.
    I'm rather partial to the delightfully simple "Grimlock talks that way because he has a speech impediment."

Ah ok. I thought that DC had given up the rights to the Captain Marvel name and that's why Marvel could actually start calling their character Captain Marvel, instead of going with Mar-Vell and the like.

MCRN Admiral

The Predacons

THE PREDACONS
    Alternate Mode:
    Assorted Animals
    Role: Combiners, Goon Squad
    Group Affiliations: The Decepticons, The Predacons
    PL 10 (145)
    STRENGTH
    9 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
    Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+2)
    Intimidation 7 (+6, +9 Size)
    Perception 6 (+5)
    Stealth 4 (+7, +1 Size)
    Technology 1 (+1)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Equipment 6 (Blasters +10- Multiattack), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Seize Initiative, Startle

Powers:
    "Robots In Disguise"
    Senses 2 (Extended & Low-Light Vision) [2]
    Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
    "Robot Legs" Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
    "More Than Meets The Eye" Morph 1 (Robot Modes) (Feats: Metamorph) [6]
    ** (Robot Mode Notes: Loses Natural Weapons, -3 Speed & -2 Strength, but gains Ranged Attack +2 and a +2 Sword, plus Flight 7)

"100% Sensical and Consistent Transformer Size"
    Growth 6 (Str & Toughness +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
    Protection 4 [4]
    Senses 2 (Extended & Acute Scent) [2]
    "Natural Weapons" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Penetrating 6) [7]

"Form PREDAKING!!" Summon 3 (1/5th of a Summon 12) (Extras: Heroic +2, Controlled) (Flaws: Requires Other Constructicons, Replaces Individual) [9]

Offense:
    Unarmed +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
    Natural Weapons +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
    Blaster +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
    Robot Mode Blaster +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
    Enemy (The Autobots)
    Disabled (Lack of Energon)- Transformers require lots of energy to function.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 43 + 26 + 9 / Defenses: 17 (145)

-I recall seeing a LOT of these guys, as they were a somewhat-late release, and thus I was the right age to find 'em. The cartoon featured them a fair bit in its final days, and their distinctive appearances would make them pretty popular as a visual thing. They stand as one of the more eye-popping sets of toys nowadays- they stand out by being VERY brightly-colored, with a rather uniform color scheme- they're orange, red, black & have a bit of yellow. This lets them "meld" together in their Gestalt Form (Predaking). It also helps that they're FRIGGIN' HUGE. Seriously, Predacons are physically some of the larger standard-issue Transformers, and when you add in the fact that they're COMBINERS, you've got a heck of a toy on your hands.

-Sadly, they don't seem to have been popular toys- TF Wiki alleges that they were among the "Shelfwarmers" of their generation, and also added that animal-themed Transformers rarely sold well. This always surprised me, because A) I thought the idea was rad- animal-changing transformations are always cool, and B) they would base an ENTIRE SHOW around this concept a decade later. I think they manage to hold up better than a lot of TF toys, myself, though they still have their issues. A big one is that their Robot Forms tend to be pretty poor- very tall, skinny, stiff-looking robots which are just the "bellies" of their Animal Modes, now standing upright. Their Animal Modes also lack articulation, this being the late '80s and they hadn't really perfected such things yet. But man... that rockin' color scheme, combined with being a bunch of robotic bulls, rhinos & big cats? How can you NOT love these guys?

-Predacons are sort of like Terrorcons & Seacons- deadly physical adversaries that feature an "Animal Mode" as the baseline. They maintain guns in both Modes, but the Robot Mode gains a Sword of a unique energy type. Going by the toys, they should be ENORMOUS, and high-powered, but in the cartoon, they're just standard-issue height, and Predaking is certainly no tougher than other Gestalts. As a rule, they're also pretty thick-headed, aggressive and brutal.

THE PREDACONS:
    RAZORCLAW (Lion/Predaking's Torso)- PL 10 (168):
    INT 2, AWA 2, PRE 1, Intimidation +2, Perception +6, Stealth +8 [23]
    -The leader of the Predacons, he's unlike the others in that he is actually a well-maintained individual. Rather than being an ultra-violent psychopath, he's a calm, dedicated, patient hunter, perfectly willing to stalk his prey for hours before striking. "All Business" on missions, he's favored by Megatron/Galvatron, and even prefers to face his foes with honor (a DECEPTICON with HONOR?!?)... but make no mistake- Razorclaw loves the hunt. Nothing brings him more joy than killing others. He got some focus in the cartoon with an episode featuring himself and Springer of the Autobots going all Enemy Mine on an alien world made up like Medieval Fantasy- he allowed himself to be used as a ridden mount so that Springer could slay a dragon and save a fair maiden... but only because the maiden convinced him that it was in his best interests. He tried to attack as soon as he could.

-His toy features a "Sonic Sword", and a slightly-different color scheme- the black body and yellow head "pop" a bit, and center the other red & orange Predacons a fair bit, making Predaking look quite cool.

Indeed, it is held by Heroic Publishing & it's book "Captain Thunder & Blue Bolt." It's the same reason Marvel had to call a team "The Order" rather than "Champions", since they also hold the trademark for Champions.

Frankly I say they could fight it, since trademark law is only concerned with the chance that your product may be confused for another of the same sort & lets be honest, no one is going to confuse a DC or Marvel comic, which is sold in comic book shops, with a comic book that isn't sold at all, because lets be honest, no one is really purchasing Heroic comics. I personally have a whole heap of them & haven't paid for a single one: Simply by having an account with them you get free points to get digital comics & they release stuff so slowly, if you are only collecting one title, you could live a life time without giving them a cent of actual money. That and they keep on releasing their books as web comics.

Also Marvel & DC books are actually readable: Sure quite often they are crap, but they are still crap that is possible to read. Not so much the Heroic stuff.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

MCRN Admiral

I'm fairly certain that the release of a MOVIE with the TITLE Captain Marvel has pretty much killed any chance of there ever being a "deal" with DC over the name. Especially now that their bosses are Warner and Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by luketheduke86 View Post
    Ah ok. I thought that DC had given up the rights to the Captain Marvel name and that's why Marvel could actually start calling their character Captain Marvel, instead of going with Mar-Vell and the like.
    It has to do with trademarks; both companies have been using the name Captain Marvel in the books since the 1970s. The major difference is the trademark, which affects how a property can be marketed and sold. The trademark, since the 1970s, has belonged to Marvel and thus they have published a whole bunch of comics since then with the title 'Captain Marvel'. None of them have been especially successful save for a brief Peter David run, but you'll notice that Marvel publishes new ones every few years regardless because if they were to stop doing so, their trademark would run out on the name and it would be open season for DC to snatch it up.

By the way, DC Comics has never once produced a comic called 'Captain Marvel'. They're forced to use the title Power of Shazam.

For what it's worth, though I actually really like Carol in the identity... I think the trademark should revert back to DC Comics and they should start using the proper name again.
    Formerly Narsil.

As for the Predacons, one of the signifiers of how badass they were, in the Marvel comic, Shockwave hired them to kill Megatron while posing as autobots

Didn't work, but not for lack of trying, and Megatron looked like crap when he dragged their carcasses behind his shambling own back to base, shortly before Shockwave went for Plan B: Space Bridge malfunction

and on a tangent, the Predacon character in Transformers Prime? eventually voiced by the guy who played the Persian Messenger in 300 (aka the guy kicked after 'This is Sparta!')