Page 1096 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 965969961046108610941095109610971098110611461196 ... LastLast
Results 10,951 to 10,960 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

Re: Jab's Builds!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    And Ares: All THAT and you STILL can't write out that massive Spider-Man-themed essay I've been begging you for? I AM HURT, ARES .
    Taking 20 minutes to write a rant on how much I hate a movie is slightly less time consuming than going through every single Spider-Man build you did and giving my thoughts on said characters, commenting on your own takes, and the build themselves. I promise once the current writing project I'm on is done, that'll take priority, if only to get the tab with the start of the Spider-Builds in my web browser closed.

MCRN Admiral

General Wong-Chu

WONG-CHU
    Created By:
    Larry Lieber, Jack Kirby & Don Heck
    First Appearance: Tales of Suspense #39 (March 1963)
    Role: Original Villain
    Group Affiliations: The Vietnamese Army
    PL 6 (84)
    STRENGTH
    4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
    FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Athletics 4 (+8)
    Deception 2 (+5)
    Expertise (Military) 6 (+8)
    Intimidation 3 (+6)
    Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages:
    Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
    Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
    Initiative +4

Defenses:
    Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
    Motivation (Power)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (84)

-Wong-Chu goes all the way back to where it started- Iron Man's first appearance, where he was the evil general forcing the weapons designer Tony Stark to build him some new gear before Stark succumbed to the shrapnel in his heart. Instead, Tony teams up with Yinsen, a fellow prisoner, builds the Iron Man armor, escapes, and then defeats the General in hand-to-hand combat. Wong-Chu is thought-dead, but returns decades later, carrying the brain of Yinsen in a jar. However, he is slain by a member of the "Sons of Yinsen", a group that worships Stark's dead assistant. It is later revealed that he'd been working for the Mandarin the whole time, linking Stark's origin to his arch-nemesis.

-Wong-Chu is a pretty typical "General" build, but is apparently a highly-skilled wrestler. Just no match for a man in an iron suit.

Protomolecule Host

I know you don't like requests, but I was wondering with you rewatching A:EMH do you have any plans to do the HYDRA Dreadnaughts or the Hydra-Bots (the walking Hydra symbol) as part of your normal builds when you reach HYDRA (again)

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by brothersale View Post
    I know you don't like requests, but I was wondering with you rewatching A:EMH do you have any plans to do the HYDRA Dreadnaughts or the Hydra-Bots (the walking Hydra symbol) as part of your normal builds when you reach HYDRA (again)
    Probably not- every Mook in that series is basically the same, whether or not it's a Doom thing, Kang thing, HYDRA thing, Frost Giant or Icicle Beast- they look tough, but they go down in one single hit.

MCRN Admiral

Firebrand (Gary Gilbert)

FIREBRAND I (Gary Gilbert)
    Created By:
    Archie Goodwin & Don Heck
    First Appearance: Iron Man #27 (July 1970)
    Role: Jobber Villain
    Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, The Corporation, S.H.I.E.L.D., The Initiative, The Shadow Initiative, The Frightful Four, The Six-Pack, The Sinister Syndicate
    PL 9 (125)
    STRENGTH
    2/8 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Acrobatics 1 (+4)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
    Deception 5 (+7)
    Expertise (Activist) 4 (+5)
    Insight 2 (+4)
    Intimidation 4 (+6)
    Investigation 5 (+7)
    Perception 3 (+5)
    Persuasion 4 (+6)
    Ranged Combat (Thermal Blasts) 4 (+8)
    Search 2 (+4)
    Technology 4 (+5)
    Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Thermal Blast), Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
    "Firebrand Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [44]
    Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
    Power Lifting 1 (12 tons) (1)
    Protection 6 (6)
    Immunity 10 (Heat Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (5)
    "Air Supply" Immunity 2 (Drowning & Suffocation) (Flaws: Limited to 30 Minutes) (1)

Flight 6 (120 mph) (10)
    Thermal Blast 9 (Feats: Split Attack) (19) -- (20)
    • AE: "Flamethrowers" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (16)

-- (55 points)

Offense:
    Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Costume Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
    Thermal Blast +8 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
    Flamethrowers +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+9 Costume), Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
    Motivation (Activism)- Gary was an activist who turned to crime after realizing that peaceful protests accomplished nothing. Eventually, he "needs work" so he shifts mostly towards Greed.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 10 (125)

-Firebrand is a little-used Iron Man villain, a former radical activist turned violent supervillain because peaceful protests against big business weren't effective. Of course, teaming up with evil industrialist Justin Hammer seems to be counter-productive to that, but that's probably why this guy is a jobber. I just had to stat him based off of that costume... look at that fist! It's the most generic supervillain suit I've seen in a while, but I almost like it just for that. Nothing too fancy about this guy. Like most every Iron Man foe, he's a guy in Power Armor, though it wasn't advanced enough to protect him against the Scourge of the Underworld- he set up the infamous meeting amongst all the lame super-villains at "The Bar With No Name", and got himself and seventeen other guys killed for it. He reappeared in modern times with the same resurrection spell that brought the others back, but he got his head shot through by The Punisher anyways.

-Like I said, nothing fancy- just a standard Powersuit, but a little weaker than your Iron Man types, or even your Unicorn types. He's got +8 or +9 to his Strength & Toughness stats, hits harder with Thermal Blasts (but is actually well-balanced at both melee & range), and has a smattering of skills because of his activist past. He's actually not that bad, but still, he's a jobber, PL 8.5 on defense, and not exactly ultra-skilled.

-A second Firebrand appeared a bit later, and was totally forgettable. Same type of suit, same powers, and he fought random super-heroes, being more of a 'catch all' fire-themed villain than anything else. This Russ Broxtel character joined the Force of Nature when Firewall left, and has the same stats as Gilbert, but with less Intelligence & Skills, being just some common thug. A THIRD Firebrand was a super-powerful Fire Guy (as in made of energy) with a weird morphing harness.

MCRN Admiral

Firebrand I & II

FIREBRAND II (Russ Broxtel)
    Created By:
    Archie Goodwin & Don Heck
    First Appearance: Web of Spider-Man #77 (June 1991)
    Role: Jobber Villain
    Group Affiliations: Force of Nature
    PL 8 (108)
    STRENGTH
    2/8 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Acrobatics 1 (+4)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
    Deception 3 (+5)
    Expertise (Eco-Terrorist) 4 (+5)
    Intimidation 2 (+4)
    Perception 2 (+4)
    Persuasion 3 (+5)
    Ranged Combat (Thermal Blasts) 2 (+6)
    Search 2 (+4)
    Technology 2 (+3)
    Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
    Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
    "Firebrand Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [44]
    Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
    Power Lifting 1 (12 tons) (1)
    Protection 6 (6)
    Immunity 10 (Heat Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (5)
    "Air Supply" Immunity 2 (Drowning & Suffocation) (Flaws: Limited to 30 Minutes) (1)

Flight 6 (120 mph) (10)
    Thermal Blast 9 (Feats: Split Attack) (19) -- (20)
    • AE: "Flamethrowers" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (16)

-- (55 points)

Offense:
    Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Costume Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
    Thermal Blast +6 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
    Flamethrowers +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+9 Costume), Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
    Motivation (Activism)- Russ is an eco-terrorist.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 8 (108)

-Russ Broxtel replaced Gilbert as Firebrand after The Scourge of the Underworld, and kept up with a similar theme- he was an eco-terrorist, and joined up with the New Warriors foes The Force of Nature. Though he debuted in one of Spider-Man's books, he also fought Cloak & Dagger and the Warriors with his team. Later, he was seen off on his own doing generic crimes- like many Jobbers, he missed most of the '90s and then just became a "Face in the crowd" kind of guy. A fourth, female Firebrand named Amanda was seen as a Backgrounder in an Iron Man issue as well.

-Broxtel is a classic Jobber- worse than the original, he was basically just a "Team Guy" who later became the sort that total amateurs like the Young Avengers could easily defeat with only one or two members.

Jesus, can you imagine being asked to draw that? Even once?

FIREBRAND III (Rick Dennison)
    Created By:
    Kurt Busiek & Sean Chen
    First Appearance: Iron Man #4 (May 1998)
    Role: Forgotten Villain
    Group Affiliations: The Flaming Sword, Terra Tactics, The Masters of Evil
    PL 10 (165)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
    FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
    Ranged Combat (Blasts) 4 (+8)

Advantages:
    Improved Critical (Heat), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
    Immunity 10 (Heat Effects) [10]
    Heat Aura 11 [44]
    Heat Blast 12 (Extras: Penetrating 8) [32]

"Flight Harness" (Flaws: Removable) (Feats: Restricted to Heat-Powered People) [17]
    Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
    Protection 6 (6)
    -- (20 points)

Offense:
    Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Heat Aura +6 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
    Heat Blast +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
    Initiative +2

Defenses:
    Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5 (+11 Harness), Fortitude +5, Will +2

Complications:
    Motivation (Activism)- Rick has been convinced by the Flaming Sword that their goals are also his.
    Responsibility (Insane)- Rick is easily-influenced thanks to the mutations that have warped his mind.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 103 / Defenses: 10 (165)

-Rick Dennison became the third Firebrand while the second was still technically-active (though un-used)- he became an Iron Man foe who also faced The Avengers (Kurt Busiek wrote both titles), and kept the "Eco-Terrorist" label. However, he mostly went under-utilized, last being seen as one of the Shadow Council's Masters of Evil. Unlike the others, he's not a Powersuit character- he's a mutated human with a Burning Aura, and a Harness that gives him a side power and makes him more durable.

MCRN Admiral

Rumiko Fujikawa

RUMIKO FUJIKAWA
    Created By:
    Kurt Busiek & Sean Chen
    First Appearance: Iron Man #4 (May 1998)
    Role: Hero's Girlfriend
    Group Affiliations: Stark/Fujikawa
    PL 1 (19), PL 2 (19) Saves
    STRENGTH
    0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Expertise (Business) 4 (+6)

Advantages:
    Benefit 1 (Wealth)

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Complications:
    Relationship (Tony Stark)- Rumiko dates Tony largely to rebel against her traditionalist parents, who disapprove of him.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (19)

-Rumiko and her father, a Japanese businessman who bought Tony Stark's company while he was in the "Heroes Reborn Universe", kind of came in a little late to capitalize on the whole Western fears of "The Japanese Will Rule Us All", regarding the power of Japanese companies (which reached a peak between the 1960s & '80s). In fact, the bubble burst on their economy by the time she'd appeared, and the country actually experienced DEFLATION, and numerous corporations lost a ton of money. Nonetheless, the time when I got back into reading comics (I kind of lost the thread in the mid-90s) actually resulted in me coming into the Iron Man book with Stark/Fujikawa being a thing, Tony's armor gaining sentience, and Rumiko being his new girlfriend.

-Eventually, Rumiko cheats on Tony with a business rival after getting annoyed by him never paying attention to her (this is, naturally, during the "Secret Identity" years). They get back together, but soon split up when he becomes Secretary of Defense (!!). She is stuffed into the refrigerator in 2004, after being attacked by an Iron Man impersonator... you'd think the writer would have just written her out if he wasn't gonna use her, but no- comics gotta comic.

-I actually don't remember too much about Rumiko, and online bios don't say much beyond her enjoying a jet-setting lifestyle. For some reason, I recall her having some business acumen and being an important part of Stark/Fujikawa.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 03-01-2016 at 10:45 PM.

MCRN Admiral

A: Emh 6-7

Episode Six & Seven: HELLZ YEAH, BREAKOUT!! Griffin! Blizzard (dressed like Captain Cold/Ice Man from "Mega Man")! Zzax! Vector! Whiplash (a chick one?)! The Crimson Dynamo! It's goddamn midcarder villain city! *I love it! I'm wondering how guys like Ant-Man survive being driven through brick walls, and how Hawkeye can toss a huge explosive arrow into a melee and not kill any of the human-level dudes inside of it, though. And didn't Tony Stark just doom everyone in The Vault to death by Self-Destructing it? The Hulk fights his way out of The Cube, while Ant-Man & Wasp try to stop the villains in the Big House (which has grown to full-size, breaking the Helicarrier upon which is sat). Meanwhile, Graviton is unleashed from the FOURTH prison- The Raft.

OK, Graviton has an awesome power concept, but he's really about as generic as a villain gets, re: motivation and personality. He's basically a "Mad Scientist" merged with "Megalomaniac Conqueror" and that's it for him. But still, dragging Manhattan into the air = cool. And yeah, that was one HELL of a fight scene at the end- absolutely matches anything on JLU, and a perfect representation of how Team (vs) Mega-Villain should go. It's a huge pile-on at the end, with Hulk punching him, Iron Man throwing down a Uni-Beam, Hank Pym throwing an OCEAN LINER at him, and Thor doing another Limit Break to finish him.

Big Savior Moments:
    I'll give one to everyone but Wasp (who didn't really factor in to the final fight as anything but a distraction)

(First Appearance: A.I.M., Lucretia Von Bardos, Griffin, Blizzard, Vector, Whiplash, The Constrictor, The Living Laser, Chemistro, King Cobra, The Red Ghost, The Super-Apes, The Purple Man, Baron Zemo, Graviton, Wendigo)

Big Savior Moments (Whole Series): Stark II, Thor II, Hulk II, Fury I, Cap I, Bucky I, Wasp I, Pym I

* Everyone's pretty close, all getting one moment or two to themselves.

OPA Belta

Gravity Control seems like it could be the most awesome superpower of them all; therefore any comic book character with the power should be amazing, right?

Yet the only three that come to mind are all... Well... Kinda lame. Writers can't seem to decide if Gravitation is just a lame Magneto ripoff or just a lame generic villain with no personality at all. Light Lass of the Legion of Superheroes had an interesting personality, but the writers barely ever used her as anything other than filler in crowd scenes and as a third person in those scenes that needed three people to talk to each other in order to deliver exposition to the audience. Her teammate, Star Boy, has seemingly nothing going on in terms of character motivation than in being Dream Girl's beau.

Although that's an interesting switch in and of itself (it's usually the girlfriend character that has nothing to do but be the love interest) it still makes him kinda boring... Except for the time he went crazy and joined the JSA. But, even then, his main motivation was getting back to his girlfriend.

We've got a whole thread over in General Discussion about "Making Aquamans Useful," but I honestly have a harder time thinking of interesting gravity controllers than I do interesting aquatic heroes. Aquaman and Namor are dynamic personalities with complex histories and interesting stories to be told... Graviton, Light Lass, and Star Boy? Um... They exist.

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    Gravity Control seems like it could be the most awesome superpower of them all; therefore any comic book character with the power should be amazing, right?

Yet the only three that come to mind are all... Well... Kinda lame. Writers can't seem to decide if Gravitation is just a lame Magneto ripoff or just a lame generic villain with no personality at all. Light Lass of the Legion of Superheroes had an interesting personality, but the writers barely ever used her as anything other than filler in crowd scenes and as a third person in those scenes that needed three people to talk to each other in order to deliver exposition to the audience. Her teammate, Star Boy, has seemingly nothing going on in terms of character motivation than in being Dream Girl's beau.

Although that's an interesting switch in and of itself (it's usually the girlfriend character that has nothing to do but be the love interest) it still makes him kinda boring... Except for the time he went crazy and joined the JSA. But, even then, his main motivation was getting back to his girlfriend.

We've got a whole thread over in General Discussion about "Making Aquamans Useful," but I honestly have a harder time thinking of interesting gravity controllers than I do interesting aquatic heroes. Aquaman and Namor are dynamic personalities with complex histories and interesting stories to be told... Graviton, Light Lass, and Star Boy? Um... They exist.
    Hah- your bit on Star Boy made me immediately go "Oh hey, I never noticed- Star Boy is just "The Boyfriend" the same way that Phantom Girl & Shadow Lass are stuck being "The Girlfriend" to their beaus", then I read your bit mentioning almost that exact thing.

Regarding Gravity-Based Characters, the only others I can think of are Geo-Force (who has a weird Grab-Bag O' Powers) and Gravity (Spider-Man-Like Kid Hero), but I've never read much of either character. There's a handful of minor names, but they're so forgettable I can't remember their names, despite HAVING BUILT THEM ALREADY.

Doing a "Search Term" on my builds, and I find:
    Nova Corps:- Use "Gravimetric Force", and some of them later use "high gravity" as an attack.
    The Wingless Wizard- Some Gravity Control mixed in with his gadgets- specifically, his "Gravity Discs".
    Lifter- From Mutant Force/The Resistants.
    Peotor the Orangutan- One of the Super-Apes includes it in an array of Magnetism & other "lifting"-themed powers.
    Alex Power- One of Power Pack- uses a few Gravity-themed things.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 03-02-2016 at 12:04 AM.