Page 939 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 43983988992993793893994094194998910391439 ... LastLast
Results 9,381 to 9,390 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Kjersti & Batsy

KJERSTI TROLLSON (Daughter of The Trolls)
    Role:
    Gamer Girl, Internet Troll
    Played by: Unknown
    PL 0 (20), PL 2 (20) Saves
    STRENGTH
    -1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
    Expertise (Gaming) 10 (+10) -- Uses Dexterity

Advantages:
    Ultimate Gamer

Powers:
    Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:
    Motivation (Gaming)- Kjersti loves gaming, and is intensely-competitive about it.
    Responsibility (Not Athletic)- Kjersti is easily-bested at physical activities by her giant brothers, and so falls into gaming instead.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 3 (20)

-Kjersti, an internet-obsessed troll (hee) from Goreway (gawd) is tiny and talks with your standard Nordic Parody accent, wears glasses that look like an item from Minecraft, and moves to Monster High to engage in a gaming battle with Ghoulia Yelps, who beats her "High Score" in some game. Now, just WHY every bit of media out there seems to think that High Scores are still totally a thing is beyond me, because that hasn't been a major source of competition since the mid '90s at the latest- now it's all about "Who beats whom" and tournaments and the like, not who can earn the most points. Kjersti's whole thing so far as been "Video Games", though her competitive streak waned enough to allow her to befriend Ghoulia instead of simply rage against her rival.

BATSY CLARO (Daughter of The White Vampire Bat)
    Role:
    Eco Warrior
    PL 8 (93)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Expertise (Tour Guide) 4 (+6)
    Expertise (Environmentalist) 6 (+8)
    Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
    Perception 8 (+10)

Advantages:
    None

Powers:
    Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [4]

"Spookersonic Hearing" Senses 7 (Ultra, Acute & Accurate Hearing, Extended Hearing 3) [7]
    Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
    Comprehend 2 (Speak to & Understand Animals) [4]
    "Spookersonic Shriek" Blast 8 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (24) -- [25]
    • AE: "Voice Throwing" Illusion (Hearing) 5 (Flaws: Limited to What She Can Actually Say) (2.5)

Offense:
    Unarmed +2 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Spookersonic Shriek -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 23)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
    Motivation (Saving the Environment)

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 7 (93)

-Good LORD that's a weird-looking character- she's basically all-white, wears bright green clothing, and packs a set of Bat Wings that look absolutely nothing like bat wings... or anything that could ever fly. Somehow, though, the design still works- she represents the modern, more-detailed type of Monsters in the series. Batsy (based off of a legendary Vampire the Hupia, which was said to kidnap children... but looking more like the White Honduran Bat, which is surprisingly-adorbz) is an environmental warrior from Costa Shrieka (really? "Ghosta Rica" was RIGHT THERE), and in her debut she manages to blow up a freakin' bulldozer from hundreds of feet away! This makes her one of the most-powerful Monster High characters, and in her debut Webisode (shared with Kjersti & Isi), she pretty much travels to Monster High and meets up with the similarly-environmentalist Venus McFlytrap, forming a partnership.

-But yeah, she's CRAZY powerful. Blowing up a large vehicle from a long distance away (well, technically the machine destroys ITSELF, but I'm calling it Damage) puts her in an ultra-high-tier in terms of Monster High characters- she's one of the few (alongside Abbey) who could easily fit in on a Teenage Superhero Team. Try finding an artist who wants to draw THOSE wings, though...
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-23-2017 at 04:33 AM.

OPA Belta

Re: Jab's Builds!

Most winged humanoid characters out there don't have wings nearly large enough to provide the necessary lift and address all those other problems caused by real-world physics.

Marvel writers have quite often forgotten just how elaborate Warren Worthington's mutation actual is in order for him to get airborne. Marvel artists also frequently draw his wings far smaller than they should be.

DC Comics did a great end-run around this with Hawkman/woman/girl. The wings provide propulsion and act as aerofoils, but the lift is provided by the super-sciencey "unobtanium" of Nth Metal. This seems to be the same end-run around winged physics you see in most media... Tinker Bell and her faerie friends rely on magic pixie dust more than wings. Our Costa Shreikian friend must use some sort of magic...

MCRN Admiral

Isi Dawndancer

Dear: Anyone else who's ever designed a Native-themed character before: Suck it.

-- Sincerely, the Mattel Character Design Team.

ISI DAWNDANCER (Daughter of The Deer Spirit)
    Role:
    Ethnic Stereotype
    PL 2 (44), PL 4 (44) Saves
    STRENGTH
    0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Expertise (Stereotypical Native American) 4 (+5)
    Expertise (Dancing) 4 (+7)

Advantages:
    None

Powers:
    "Native Stereotype Physiology"
    Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Limited to Ultra-Vague Images) [2]
    Features 1: Native American Music Plays Whenever She Speaks [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
    Initiative +2

Defenses:
    Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +5

Complications:
    Motivation (Following Visions & Junk)

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 3 (44)

-Oh my god this design is EPIC!! Just this crazy-awesome combination of styles and colours- a lot of people (especially in comics) struggle with Native American designs, defaulting to the whole "Beads & Buckskins" thing, with big ol' ponytails and stuff, but this one knocks it out of park, and that's COMBINED with a friggin' Deer Person, which is one of the most-unusual Anthro-type designs you'll find out there. Isi Dawndancer is super-rad.

-Well, as a CHARACTER she's a bit forgettable. She of course does special Native-centric spiritual stuff, has great visions (she has a dream about Monster High, and her stereotypical Wise Old Grandmother tells her "you must GO to this place!"), and they even play Native-style drums & whistles whenever she speaks (Jinafire Long gets the same treatment with "Asian Music" playing whenever she says something). In fact, her big "character moment" is helping the Fearleading Squad by helping them learn one of the dances of their people after they get whatever the dancing equivalent of "Writer's Block" is. And apparently her clothing is a mish-mash of cultures and her "Monster" Basis is a generic "Deer Spirit" instead of anything specific (not that MH has EVER been particularly careful about getting things absolutely dead-on to anything). But really, that design rocks.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-23-2017 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    Most winged humanoid characters out there don't have wings nearly large enough to provide the necessary lift and address all those other problems caused by real-world physics.

Marvel writers have quite often forgotten just how elaborate Warren Worthington's mutation actual is in order for him to get airborne. Marvel artists also frequently draw his wings far smaller than they should be.

DC Comics did a great end-run around this with Hawkman/woman/girl. The wings provide propulsion and act as aerofoils, but the lift is provided by the super-sciencey "unobtanium" of Nth Metal. This seems to be the same end-run around winged physics you see in most media... Tinker Bell and her faerie friends rely on magic pixie dust more than wings. Our Costa Shreikian friend must use some sort of magic...
    Right, in addition to having large wings, Warren was also suppose to have hollow bones, a degree of superhuman strength, and some weird kind of air-sacs in some parts of his body to provide extra lift. It's one reason why giant flying monsters are extra implausible, given the amount of air they'd need to displace and their bone density. Rule of cool there.

One idea I always liked was that for magical/supernatural/mythological creatures, winged flight was more of a symbolic thing. The wings represent flight, so they're magically able to to fly. The wings have to flap in order to gain altitude or maneuver, but the actual propulsion is more of a metaphysical thing where the speed depends on the power of the individual rather than the span of the wings.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    DC Comics did a great end-run around this with Hawkman/woman/girl. The wings provide propulsion and act as aerofoils, but the lift is provided by the super-sciencey "unobtanium" of Nth Metal.
    So suck it, Brad Meltzer.

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-Two_Kenn View Post
    That's more his Editor's fault, not his (Editors are supposed to keep continuity straight). And really, it's the HAWKS. Even with all the research I did for their builds, I couldn't keep their crap straight.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 11-28-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-Two_Kenn View Post
    If you mean that scene in Identity Crisis where Deathstroke cuts off Carter's harness and Carter falls to the ground, I believe that post-Johns the Nth metal had been moved to the red disc/clasp on the chest portion of Carter's harness, rather than the belt where it had been traditionally. So Slade slicing the harness like that would technically cause Carter to fall at that point.

What was stupid was Slade being able to pull that off at all. The whole scene was to Deathstroke what your average Loeb/Morrison written Superman issue is for Clark. Almost any one of the heroes present should have been a decent match for Slade, and some like Kyle should have been able to take him out rather casually.

Speaking of Loeb and regarding power geeking, it is interesting which heroes tend to get it more than others. I find of all the heroes who get hit with it, Superman is probably the #1 contender. Sure, Thor, the Hulk and the Silver Surfer have it happen to them as well, and you could argue that World War Hulk was nothing but "The Hulk beats up your favorite characters", at least there a lot of the guys who could have fought the Hulk (Thor, for example) were not around, and Hulk had a whole team of high powered goons helping him out, not to mention some of his opponents were Skrulls in disguise.

Superman tho? It seems like way more writers are interested in celebrating his power, or making him more powerful, than his actual character. Some writers and fans cannot even entertain the idea that some characters might be as good as or better than Superman in certain respects. There are literally some fans that feel, at absolute worse, that Superman is several magnitudes stronger than guys like Thor, Capt. Marvel and the Hulk, is smarter than Reed Richards or Tony Stark, has more willpower than any Green Lantern, and is only slower than the Flash by less than 0.001%. Guys like Loeb, Morrison and even Dan Jurgens will point to magic as the reason Capt. Marvel or Thor would have any chance against Superman, rather than through comparable power, strength and skill.

It actually got to the point where some writers go with the idea that Superman's power levels are fueled by his willpower, whether by forcing his body to process more solar energy or his powers having a literal psychic component to them. The end result is Superman supposedly having a Hulk-like dynamic factor due to "holding back" so that his defeats are due solely to how much he was holding back at any one time, and that if he ever cut loose he could defeat someone like Doomsday in one or two punches, and could kill guys like Cap or Thor in a single punch.

You even see shades of it in the DCAU. Jab chides me for it, but if you watch the relationship between Superman and Darkseid, the kind of threat Darkseid poses changes drastically from Superman:TAS to Justice League Unlimited. In Superman:TAS, Darkseid was someone Superman could not defeat through physical means. Period. When Superman was madder than he had ever been, when Darkseid had turned him into a weapon of evil and possibly killed Supergirl, Superman attacked Darkseid with everything he had, and Darkseid basically manhandled him like he was a child. The only reason Superman won that fight was when he clapped his hands over Darkseid's eyes in desperation and caused Darkseid's Omega Beams to blow back into his own brain. Superman almost lost his hands, was beaten within an inch of his life, and had to use his brain to pull out a last minute win that still wound up being pyrrhic because Darkseid's subjects immediately came to his aid.

Then in Justice League, Superman and Darkseid have another fight that Superman flat out wins, because he stopped holding back. And then when Darkseid comes back, more powerful than ever, he starts wiping the floor with Superman again . . . until Superman stops holding back and smacks Darkseid through a building, and then across a city, requiring Darkseid to literally pull a new power out of his ass in order save himself. And then need a Kryptonite knife to kill Superman.

Darkseid went from a guy who slapped Superman around like he was any annoying little dog, to someone Superman was consistently outmuscling and defeating, with the only reason being that Superman apparently "stopped holding back". I could buy reasoning if things were done to deliberately weaken Darkseid, have him run some kind of gauntlet of heroes, use machines to weaken him, or to enhance Superman. It would have been preferable for the actual League to take on Darkseid as a team and each contribute to his defeat. Instead it's just "Superman can flat out beat him now because he's trying harder", despite his worst showing coming when Clark would have logically been holding back the least. I wonder how much of it has to do with Paul Dini's departure.

Despite all of that, I don't hate Superman. I love the character, I love a lot of his stories, I love that he started the whole comic book superhero craze, and he's definitely one of my 'measuring stick' heroes. I just hate how a lot of his fans and writers treat the character and other characters in relation to him, making it more about how he could beat up anyone than his actual character. Worse when some writers literally make the entire universe revolve around Superman. I acknowledge how important Superman is to the superhero genre, but you should not literally have an in-universe story that states that Superman is the most important character in existence, the literal greatest being in existence that will save 'God' from the forces that would seek to corrupt it. Yes, this actually happened in a story that saw print less than 10 years ago.

MCRN Admiral

Problem with Superman is that a huge part of his ENTIRE CONCEPT revolves around him being not just super-powerful, but basically the MOST POWERFUL. Even the general public image of the guy involves moving planets around, being stronger and more invincible than everybody else, etc. He's so iconic for it that "Kryptonite" has officially replaced "Achilles Heel" as the most-common phrase for a thing's one weakness.

This, by its very nature, draws the people who are fans of guys because of power. And despite my frequent mocking of Power Geeking, I can get the appeal of people doing awesome stuff at high levels of power. Because Supes is so iconic for his sheer might, you have people who will start frothing at the mouth because he is drawn losing a fight. I've met completely-rational people who lose all of their common sense and get mad if Superman even has trouble against certain guys.

This is why the backlash for "Superwussy" in the original JL seasons was so strong (and the creators admitted it). It's why Superman fans had no apparent problem with Our Worlds At War, aka Dragon Ball Z with a Galactus Knock-off and Superman in place of Goku[/i], while fans of ANY OTHER CHARACTERS were mad.

And yeah... I can admit that Superman suddenly being able to tangle with Darkseid in JLU doesn't make a whole lot of sense if Darkseid was SO far above Superman in Superman: TAS. Yes, Ares, I admit it . But Superman never said he was holding back before; he just said "this is a rare opportunity for me to lash out" or something like that- he could have been including the previous times in that.

Only way I can justify it is that Darkseid had New Villain Stink on him... for the duration of his STAS appearances. Or that Superman just Leveled Up. Maybe he still had Hero Points from all the times the GM had him get electrocuted during Justice League's first season .

I've found fans of Hulk & Thor to be just as bad as Superfans for Power Geeking/anger at jobbing, at least. Some Thor fans freak out EVERY TIME HE LOSES, even during the "Thor loses a fight, then comes back and wins in the next issue" phase, and most Hulk fans I know won't even brook the idea of someone being stronger, ever.

Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of any of the three- Thor annoys me because he seems to take too much attention in every major Avengers fight. The Hulk & Thor are both uninteresting characters to me, as well. I love the IDEA of Superman, and what he represents, and his iconic stature makes him perfect for "Big Stories" (Kingdom Come would have never worked with any other comic book character in that role), but generally I care so little about him that I've never considered watching any more of the Dini/Timm series, and I LOVED their Batman.

That's kind of why the endless Power-Geeking and focus on them is rather annoying to me. If they just did their own stuff, I wouldn't CARE. But instead, we've got to have them at the forefront of everything these days, Goku-ing their way across the galaxy.

MCRN Admiral

Finnegan Wake

FINNEGAN WAKE (aka Rider)
    Role:
    Differently-Abled Extreme Sports Star
    PL 4 (54)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
    FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Athletics 6 (+8)
    Expertise (Extreme Sports) 4 (+8) -- Uses Agility

Advantages:
    Improved Initiative, Move-By Action

Powers:
    "Merman Physiology"
    Immunity 2 (Drowning, Pressure) [2]
    Swimming 4 (4 mph) [4]
    Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]

Offense:
    Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Initiative +4

Defenses:
    Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
    Addiction (Excitement)- Finnegan is an extreme athlete, and grows bored very quickly.
    Prejudice (Helpless)- Finnegan's wheelchair can make others think he's helpless and needs tp be protected from danger. This really irks him.
    Disabled (Muscular Problems With Fin)- Finnegan can not move about on his fin (nor actually swim), and requires a Wheelchair. Without his chair, his Agility drops to -1.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 3 (54)

-It's easy to laugh at these kind of "Inspirationally-Disabled" characters (a friend of mine says he always felt that Chip from Transformers was silly, even as a kid, because it felt condescending), but then I remember that these shows are targeted at CHILDREN and not cynical 30-something nerds, so the message is actually kind of important. Especially because the Monster High episode featuring this guy (in his early name as "Rider") isn't all about how inspirational he is- it's about how Frankie Stein was being dumb by thinking he was helpless and needed "protection". Turns out that Rider is an Extreme Sports Athlete, and loves crazy risks and killer tats. Frankie learns a lesson, and Rider seems to fit in with the rest of the gang. Essentially, it was more of a "don't condescend to crippled people" thing.

-However, this episode was basically a one-off a few years ago, and the character never did anything else. It wasn't until 2015, when the website was doing a poll to create a new character's doll, that Rider made a comeback- this time as the copywritten "Finnegan Wake". Winning the poll, Finnegan debuted as a Merman Doll in a wheelchair and everything. He's only seen in his Wheelchair, motoring around. The Doll Diary says that he has a muscular problem, and that his fin "just never worked."
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-23-2017 at 04:04 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Rock the dragon!!

DRAGON BALL Z:

Yes, I'm finally going to stat up Dragon Ball Z characters. I get that the show has a ton of haters, but the haters should DEFINITELY keep watching, because guess what? I don't think it's a good show, EITHER! And these builds will further establish WHY.

---

Easily one of the biggest parts of the big anime boom in North America was a show called Dragon Ball Z. Akira Toriyama, a minor-league mangaka who'd created a semi-success in Doctor Slump, struck gold when his Dragon Ball series, about a silly little boy with super-strength and a bossy Miss Fanservice techno-genius, came out in Shonen Jump (literally Boy's/Young Man's Jump) in the 1980s. Based on The Journey to the West it became one of the longest-running mangas ever (most last only a couple years, and even the BIG hits are often done in only a few- finite storytelling is one of many things manga typically does differently than Western comics), and eventually, after numerous stories and a lot of goofy stuff, the characters pulled a "Time Skip", moving up in age.

Dragon Ball:
    The strip, which was once almost entirely humor-based with a tiny bit of drama (the first enemy was Emperor Pilaf, a pint-sized blue idiot whiner; the allies included a perverted pig, a flying cat and a guy with a pathological fear of talking to women), slowly shifted to more and more drama with the introduction of serious foes like Piccolo Daimon. Initially a minor focus, the martial arts became a big deal, with the first season's Wolf Fang Fist and Kamehameha Wave attacks being joined by various odd, eccentric abilities, many of which were just as silly as the show (example: One fight involves a guy who weaponizes his incredibly-bad B.O. Krillin defeats him when Goku points out that "you don't have a nose!"- Krillin never having been drawn with one in the art style. Another battle- Yamcha against the Invisible Man- ends when Krillin flashes Bulma's bare breasts at Master Roshi, causing the old pervert to get a nosebleed that covers the Invisible Man in blood). It adopted the "Shonen Manga" cliche of "two guys fighting while everybody around them comments on the abilities, making every fight take super-long" (something that I thought DBZ originated, but watching some '80s episodes of Saint Seiya showed literally the exact same storytelling technique there, and it's older than THAT, too!).

The initial point of the story was to gather the "Seven Dragon Balls", large orbs that, when combined, would summon a Magical Dragon who would grant one wish. Villains typically wanted immortality or tons of power, while the heroes usually only used it altruistically (the finale of the First Season had Oolong the Pig ask for a pair of girl's panties to prevent Pilaf from getting his wish). Later on, they'd often ask for Resurrection, as somebody important would typically die (at one time, the father of a friend was killed, necessitating a new quest). However, this got dropped to a minor point later on, with people casually wishing for Resurrections to bring back the numerous dead, while the Balls were merely a Macguffin that the villains wanted- the reason why they were there, to justify the endless fights.

Dragon Ball Z:
    The Vegeta Saga-

Dragon Ball Z was the title for the updated show with adult characters (the manga continued with the old title), and struck a bit of a major shift change- in the first storyline, a mysterious warrior with powers so godlike that he could take Goku and Piccolo AT ONCE arrives on Earth, and reveals that he is Raditz- the BROTHER of Goku! And also that they're aliens meant to conquer worlds! But then some stuff happens, Raditz dies, and he summons two MORE of their race to Earth, so that they can get the Dragon Balls! And so we get a YEAR-LONG ARC featuring the cast slowly "Training To Get Stronger" (the ultimate Shonen Manga Trope), with Goku (who sacrificed himself to stop Raditz) training with some super-elite trainer in Heaven until the heroes can Resurrect him with the Dragon Balls. Eventually, Nappa and Vegeta arrive, beat most the Z-Fighters to death, and then Nappa gets wiped out by Goku. Vegeta takes matters into his own hands, but is defeated after numerous travails and comebacks.

The Frieza Saga-
    With Vegeta beaten, it's revealed that he's actually just a low-end guy in the Space Army of Frieza, who now discovers that there's Dragon Balls on Namek, the planet that spawned Kami-Sama & Piccolo. Vegeta wants power for himself, and so opposes his boss, going up against various D-bags in his army (Dodoria, Zarbon, The Ginyu Force), even allying with Gohan & Krillin to those ends. But then Goku (who has recovered from the last Saga) arrives, and quickly curbstomps all the bad guys. Frieza shows up, and goes through four different forms in a massive battle (in which he kills Krillin and easily beats Vegeta, Piccolo & Gohan), until Goku reveals that he is apparently the Ultimate Super-Saiyan of Legend, gaining yellow hair and a superior power level- he handily defeats Frieza.

The Cell Saga-
    Vegeta is now a sort-of-ally, living on Earth, and then his SON FROM THE FUTURE shows up, in the uber-'90s Sword-Wielding hero, Trunks. He reveals that two powerful Androids will show up and kill everyone soon. So the heroes go through lots of training (AGAIN), until they find two DIFFERENT Androids, and then someone named Cell shows up, wipes out the two Androids we're supposed to be afraid of, and becomes Perfect Cell- our actual Final Boss. Stuff happens (most of the non-Saiyans become irrelevant here), Goku dies saving the heroes, and Gohan levels up to Super-Saiyan Level 2 (called "Super-Saiya-Jin" in Japan, so fans often shorten it to "SSJ"- particuarly-elitist Western fans are known to use "Super Saiya-jin" anyways) and saves the day.

The Buu Saga-
    Goku returns from Heaven in a huge battle that involves a lot of goofy stuff and more (a big time-skip reveals his second son, Goten; as well as a modern-day-born Trunks). I'm the least-familiar with this one, having stopped watching before it came out here.

The Movies-
    A ton of these were made, and typically don't fit properly into continuity, similar to the Sailor Moon movies. You'll have characters like Future Trunks around where they don't fit in, somebody alive who should be dead, etc. They're just kinda there for fun. And typically it's all just a giant brawl. Less stalling than you normally see in the show, of course.

Dragon Ball GT-
    -GT is a bit notorious, as it was made without Toriyama's involvement, and is considered non-canon. It features "Goku as a Kid" after he's been de-aged by old enemy Emperor Pilaf thanks to the Dragon Balls. Things go way off the rails when Goku & Vegeta unlock a FOURTH level of Super-Saiyan that turns them fuzzy and red, there's Golden Apes, and then they have to fight a bunch of Dragons. I'm not really doing much from this version of the setting.

The Legacy:
    The show was a HUGE smash hit- even now, coming back to Japan in 2015, I was amazed to see that literally every store that sold manga/anime Otaku stuff sold Dragon Ball Z as much as anything. The only thing bigger was the current smash, One Piece (itself inspired by DBZ). It was a BIG hit for an anime in the U.S., though it was stymied by the "65-episode cartoon" thing, as it ended halfway through the Frieza Saga. It came on the tail of the popular Sailor Moon, and helped inspire a new legion of American Otaku (among other nations)- both are credited with codifying a lot of what even the mainstream media identifies as "Anime Tropes" (Sailor Moon made sweat drops, blue hair and sexy costumed schoolgirls known, while DBZ's biggest icon seems to be the crazy-ass hair).

The influence over comics doesn't seem that great (people see a lot of DBZ in Invincible, with the accelerating power levels, Flying Bricks, and Race of Warriors, but Robert Kirkman insists he's never watched it), unless you blame it for the Power Creep that's afflicted the setting (which really isn't as bad as it was in the Silver Age anyways). However, it was HUGE on the internet, to the point where a major backlash happened, particularly among comic book fans. See, the show was popular for a good while- it was Power Geeking personified, so fans of Superman and his ilk loved it. I knew a ton of people obsessed with it the way I like Frozen and Idina Menzel!

The problem came because BattleBoards were a kind of new thing at the time- WizardWorld.com was then a thing, and featured a SuperHero ShowDown- a board themed around a Tournament the website was running, featuring (what else?) comic book characters fighting each other. Eventually, the board shifted to a generic "____ (vs) _____" theme, where people'd throw out names and everyone would debate (ie. argue and flame each other) over who would win. Geeks would usually end up going for "Batman (w/ Prep Time)" or "Silver Age Superman", but then DRAGON BALL Z showed up. With characters who could shatter moons in the EARLY seasons, and blow up GALAXIES in the later ones, they enacted a whole change in the boards, and became notorious for "Goku (vs) ______" fights now dominating. And, as comic fans typically get a bug up their ass over who would win in a fictional brawl, this led to a LOT of hate coming DBZ's way. I can't say for certain if this is why so many people seem to publicly-hate the series on nerd forums now (I do see a lot of it on various sites- I know several people who won't even watch ANIME because of the show, much less the show itself!), but it's part of it in some of the places *I* visit. An omnipresence and over-use of Goku in Fight Debates seems to have burned a lot of people on the series.

The show's influence is great (though it was hardly original itself- Saint Seiya is an obvious forebear)- The Big Three of Shonen Manga that hit big in Japan and in the States: Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, all point to DBZ as a major influence. It's plainly-obvious in the narrative, the tropes, and the styles of fighting, as well as the target audience (typically barely-pubescent young males): The shows all feature a Main Hero and his Close Male Buddies. As a bunch of shows targetted at young males, women are seen through the spectrum of how little boys see them: either Puerile Fanservice or Whining Nags (sometimes both). Rarely are they effective fighters. Villainous characters often turn into friends once they're defeated. The heroes' powers start small, but they get more and more powerful (usually described as "Getting Stronger") over time, culminating in new Godlike powers as time goes on. The Power Creep is huge- each new villain is exponentially stronger than the last. Heroes frequently take mysterious "New Forms" as time goes on, in a way to get stronger. Everyone spends all their time fighting (the shows are often just called Fighting Manga/Shows), usually one-on-one, with the rest of the cast sitting around commentating, describing the techniques used, and looking shocked at various instances.

Fun Fact: A lot of what we recognize as Shonen Manga tropes come straight from Pro Wrestling. Japanese "Puroresu" features a ton of the "training to get stronger" stuff (Japanese culture puts a HUGE, monolithic focus on "Practice Makes Perfect" and that "With Hard Work Comes Success"), guys training to undo their opponent's specific technique, and more. One of the first, super-iconic Shonen Mangas was Kinnikuman (called MUSCLE over here- it's the one that inspired all those little plastic rubber figures), which was a goofy Comedy Manga about Kaiju that slowly shifted into an All-Pro Wrestling Manga, and a lot of those tropes crossed-over, and inspired what later became common in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, YuYu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z, among others.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 11-29-2015 at 06:32 AM.