Page 937 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 43783788792793593693793893994798710371437 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,370 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

Re: Jab's Builds!

Oh I love me some Clandestine, but I also loved me some Noble Causes.

Nice builds all round Jab.
    Last edited by saint_matthew; 11-27-2015 at 08:23 AM.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

MCRN Admiral

Monster High: Boo York, Boo York

And that's it for this "set"- I finally updated the front page with the new builds! Now, it's a mini-set of the newest Monster High characters. Then, after that, it's Dragon Ball Z! I wanted to wait like a year after Kreuzritter statted the main cast (even if they are the Abridged versions).

Dislike Dragon Ball Z? Think it's emphasis on Power Geeking is stupid and may have ruined internet BattleBoards forever? Think it focuses way too much on one stupid character at the expense of everyone else?

GOOD! I AGREE! In fact, people who hate the show might get more mileage out of these builds' commentaries than people who DON'T !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"All I wanted was a LITTLE help manipulating my little sister into MARRYING a Prince to make me fabulously wealthy and powerful! Is that too much to ask!?!"
    -Nefera DeNile, getting the best line of the boo-vie

MONSTER HIGH- BOO YORK, BOO YORK:

The latest movie in the franchise is only a few minutes shorter than the typical ones, and ALSO comes with the 46-minute Ever After High: Spring Unsprung movie. That makes it overall one of the best deals in the franchise!

This one's based around Catty Noir, the big "Idol Singer" of the series, and is actually a MUSICAL. One one hand, the songs are relatively well-produced and sound like modern pop. On the OTHER hand, the songs... sound like modern pop. Complete with over-use of Autotune like a motherf**ker. Catty angsts over trying to write a love song, as she's never BEEN in love. Meanwhile, Cleo's father (The Mummy) recognizes the importance of a date with a Macguffin Comet, and pulls his two daughters (Cleo & Nefera the Alpha Bitch) to "Boo York" with him, and Cleo decides to invite a ton of her friends (Frankie, Clawdeen, Draculaura, Operetta & Catty, who's searching for her "New Song").

It's 7:46 in before they put on their outfits to advertise the new doll line- I think that's a new speed record (if you don't count the one where they STARTED in those outfits and then switched back to normal for the rest of the thing). Given that Deuce normally dresses like a "Bad Boy", and acts like a Bored Surfer Dude, his "Neon Green Eurotrash" look is kind of a clash. Cleo and Nefera though are in their best costumes EVER- the whole "Egyptian" thing really comes of well in this series' designs. We meet Luna Mothews & Elle Eedee within ten minutes for cameos. A DJ party in the most sparsely-crowded Times Square EVER (seriously- I've seen it busier at 3 in the morning).

There's parodies of many Broadway productions- you can see a poster that looks like the distinctive, iconic one for Wicked, though I particularly loved Bats. The horrifyingly-bad puns are in full force here, which is amazing- they're on Hexington Avenue, Times Scare, Spectral Park West, and the Upper Beast Side- I LOVE IT! Nefera schemes to break up Cleo & Deuce so that Cleo is free to marry Seth Ptolemy, the heir to Boo York City, and they do so in a hilariously-over-the-top Autotune Sad Song that only lasts all of two minutes (a routine for this show, actually). Cleo is supposed to marry Seth Ptolemy, but Seth (in disguise as the rapper "Pharaoh") falls in love with Catty instead (in the classic "they hang out for two seconds and are now in love" thing), rejecting their parents' plan to unite their two dynasties over the light of the mysterious Comet.

Curiously, meeting the "Four New Ghouls" set up is slightly-different this time around. Instead of meeting a new character every few minutes, then gathering them into the party, the ghouls just kind of bump into each other here and there, often coincidentally being in the same places. This keeps the "Wandering Cast" down to reasonable numbers, but still doesn't give many of them stuff to do (Operetta seemed like a natural for this, given that she's a singer... but she doesn't speak for the first FIFTY MINUTES- she's just background dressing until then, and she STILL doesn't play a major role!).

Nefera gets involved AGAIN when Seth rebels against his mother, taking away their singing talent and spirits, but after a big Sing-Off (between Luna & Toralei- using Catty's voice in a Bloodway show... wow, they went through workshops, previews and an opening in less than an hour? Impressive...), Catty has her voice back. Everything wraps up in a big hurry (Deuce goes back to Cleo, Seth gets his voice back and even his mother now accepts it, etc.), and then the COMET finally arrives with less than seven minutes to go, which is easily the longest they've waited to introduce a big new character- it's Astranova the Alien! And she doesn't really add anything beyond everyone talking about how the Comet "gave them their voice" and stuff. Which... she didn't really DO.

The End Credits feature an interesting moment, as Astranova talks into her phone... and reveals that "The rumors of a High School for Monsters are true!" to... APPLE WHITE AND RAVEN QUEEN. Who... really should have heard this from their friend C.A. Cupid (who transfered from MH to Ever After High) when you think about it. But hey- Crossover!!

MCRN Admiral

Re: Jab's Builds!

In case you doubt me about the overdoing of the Autotune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAM_X64SrVg

I mean, it DOESN'T EVEN SOUND LIKE THEM.

Toralei & Luna do better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cldDQbwl2dw

But... how did she get a Broadway (sorry, "Bloodway") show in ONE FRIGGIN' DAY? Those things take YEARS to make!
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 11-27-2015 at 02:46 PM.

OPA Belta

Re: Monster High: Boo York, Boo York

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Dislike Dragon Ball Z? Think it's emphasis on Power Geeking is stupid and may have ruined internet BattleBoards forever? Think it focuses way too much on one stupid character at the expense of everyone else?

GOOD! I AGREE! In fact, people who hate the show might get more mileage out of these builds' commentaries than people who DON'T!
    Builds of the BSDQ Multiverse

Settings:
    Heroic Renaissance
    Thunder Woman (Coming Soon!)
    Vigilant Alliance (Coming Soon!)
    Capital City Adventures (Coming Soon!)

MCRN Admiral

Mouscedes & Elle Eedee

MOUSCEDES KING (Daughter of The Rat King)
    Role:
    Upper-Crust Rich Girl
    Played by: Rachel Staman
    PL 1 (14)
    STRENGTH
    -1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Expertise (Boo York Upper-Crust) 4 (+4)
    Expertise (Dancing) 4 (+4)

Advantages:
    Benefit (Boo York Royalty)

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +2, Will +2

Complications:
    Disabled (Lactose-Intolerant)- "A rat who's allergic to cheese! Can you believe it?" Though actually, this is totally a thing in real life.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (14)

-Mouscedes seemed like the lowest-end of the Boo York, Boo York line of dolls, but I swear she became the most-popular once the movie came out, as her dolls suddenly sold like nuts in comparison to the others. I guess kids liked how she came across in the movie- helpful and good-natured, with cute little "Eek!" mouse-squeaks puncuating her speech. Which runs a bit contrast to the personality-type given in her Bio, which says she's a "Spoiled Brat With a Heart of Gold"- here, she's rich and treated like her family is a Rockefeller-like part of the royalty of the city. She hails from the "Upper Beast Side" (JESUS CHRIST) and uses her connections to throw claw-some parties and helps the ghouls out.

-A pretty generic character in terms of stats. They make a big deal out of the irony of the daughter of the Rat King being lactose intolerant- it's on the bios AND the movie- apparently not realizing that RATS ARE ACTUALLY LACTOSE INTOLERANT.

THE ROBOT! It's literally the only dance I can do!"

ELLE EEDEE (Daughter of The Robots)
    Role:
    Helpful DJ
    Played by: Laura Bailey
    PL 3 (50)
    STRENGTH
    1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Expertise (DJing) 4 (+7)
    Technology 4 (+8)

Advantages:
    None

Powers:
    "Robot"
    Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
    Protection 4 [4]
    "Holographic Display" Features 1: Creates a Holographic DJ Turntable [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +4, Fortitude --, Will +2

Complications:
    Vulnerable (Electrical & Magnetic Attacks)- As a metallic robot, Elle Eedee is vulnerable to these types of things. Also, signals from space can totally mess her up.
    Disabled (Dancing)- Elle can only perform "The Robot".

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 1 (50)

-Loved the New York accents in this movie- Elle sounds so funny in it. She keeps showing up in various places the main characters visit (as opposed to just following them around, like most of the other movies in the series do), thanks to her DJing career- she gets hired to the parties the Ptolemies throw, and she's DJing for money in Times Scare (OH GOD). Unlike fellow robot Robecca Steam, she isn't some old-school Steampunk Design- she looks like a fully-modern creation; basically a walking iPod in a skirt and heels. One of the better Robot Girl designs I've seen, for sure. She lacks Robecca's powers, however, and appears to "glitch" out sometimes, thanks to the otherworldly signals Astra Nova's Comet-Pod sends off. Also, I was like "why didn't they just call her Elsie-Dee, like Marvel did? Copywrite issues?" until I remembered that LED is kind of screen and THAT's what they were naming her after. Because I am old and I forget things.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-23-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Isn't it also kinda weird that a monster high school is a rumor, when apparently every single location/thing in the entire world is monsterized pun-version of real world things?

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    Isn't it also kinda weird that a monster high school is a rumor, when apparently every single location/thing in the entire world is monsterized pun-version of real world things?
    Different dimensions- Ever After tak place in the storybook realm. Cupid had to actually p through a portal to get fro one to the other.

MCRN Admiral

Luna Mothews & Astranova

Aaaaaaaaaand they just shamed anyone who's ever tried to design a Bug Girl before.

LUNA MOTHEWS (Daughter of The Mothman)
    Role:
    Stardom-Seeker
    Played by: Lauren Weisman
    PL 1 (24), PL 2 (24) Saves
    STRENGTH
    0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Expertise (Singing) 5 (+8)
    Expertise (Odd Jobs) 1 (+1)

Advantages:
    None

Powers:
    "Moth Physiology"
    Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [4]
    Features 1: Quick Change [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
    Initiative +2

Defenses:
    Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +2

Complications:
    Responsibility (Bright Lights)- Luna is easily-distracted by bright lights. Good thing she's taking a job in MUSICAL THEATRE then.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 4 (24)

-OH MY GOD THAT DESIGN IS SO AMAZEBALLS!!! This franchise has gotten UNBELIEVABLY good at creating some superstar designs- to the point where the newer characters almost look like they're from a different series than the original characters, who look downright plain by comparison. And considering some of those characters include "Diva/Nefertiti Lookalike/Mummy", "Pink & Black Vampire", "Purple-Haired Leather-Clad Werewolf", and "White & Black Streak-Haired Green Frankenstein Girl In Patchwork Clothing", that's friggin' saying something.

-Luna Mothews is from Boo Jersey, but dreams of making it big on Bloodway- she ends up taking a series of odd jobs in her first day in Boo York City, all of which COINCIDENTALLY mean she meets up with our traveling ghouls on their quest to bring back Catty's voice and stop Nefera's scheme. With a thick Joisey accent, giant eyes (with HONEYCOMBS in them), huge butterfly wings, and a Boo York Cityscape drawn across her skirt, she's the most striking of the new characters. And in the end, she gets into a Singing Duel (easily the most bad-ass solution to any problem- it's no The Confrontation from Les Miz, but what is?) with Toralei (who's stolen Catty's voice), and saves the day. And she's also the daughter of The Mothman, a peculiar Cryptid believed to have warned people about a bridge-collapse tragedy several years ago (the most-likely cause for the sightings of the "headless", man-sized creature with huge butterfly (not moth) wings and eyes in its chest is likely a barn owl, as those can be pretty freaky at night).

-Alas, her Official Doll has a much different-looking outfit than the one shown in the early art- it looks more futuristic and "official", but there's a Wal-Mart Special Set that includes Mouscedes & Elle Eedee, and features the Early Release art much better, including the "BYC Skirt" look. She does a better job of being a Moth (well, Butterfly, really) than the pink Bonita Femur, whose half-Skeleton physiology may be why her doll ended up being kind of a Shelfwarmer.

SO MUCH GLITTER

ASTRANOVA (Daughter of The Comet Aliens)
    Role:
    Mysterious Visitor
    Played by: Erin Fitzgerald (speaking), Firoozeh Scott (singing)
    PL 1 (41), PL 3 (41) Saves
    STRENGTH
    1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Expertise (Singing) 4 (+7)
    Expertise (Science) 3 (+6)
    Technology 3 (+6)

Advantages:
    None

Powers:
    Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
    Initiative +2

Defenses:
    Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
    Responsibility (Out of Control Comet)- Her Comet Spaceship can go out of control sometimes. As she goes into suspended animation during its flight, this can be problematic.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 4 (41)

-Looking like someone bejeweled the f*ck out of a Disney Princess, here's Astranova, who... REALLY doesn't show up in the movie for that long. Like... the whole POINT of the movie is her arrival, sort of, but she as a CHARACTER doesn't do anything! The comet containing her body is sending odd signals to Earth (that mess up Elle Eedee's computer mind), and a malfunction means it's heading for a COLLISION COURSE with the planet, but thankfully Ghoulia Yelps, the resident genius at Monster High, is made aware of it, and comes up with a solution. In the end, Astra Nova splits out of the comet and every just kinda parties down in Boo York City for the finale. She gets like two or three lines- that's all.

-Curiously, her toy comes in two distinct colour schemes- a dark blue version that matches the film's Astranova, and a much lighter lilac-coloured one. And it's not different outfits- it's just a completely different colour. Since it's a $60-70 set (it comes with a giant magnetic accessory that can lift her doll into the air and make it "hover"), I have a sneaky suspicion that Mattel is taking advantage of the collectors who want one of EVERYTHING.

-I have no idea if she possesses any kind of special powers, as she only shows up on-screen and awake for like a minute.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-23-2017 at 04:08 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Red face Re: Monster High: Boo York, Boo York

Quote Originally Posted by BS Digital Q View Post
    It's funny- I've got a "List of Flaws in DBZ" that might actually be longer than my list of praise for Frozen .

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post

GOOD! I AGREE! In fact, people who hate the show might get more mileage out of these builds' commentaries than people who DON'T !
    Ugggg, hate Dragon Ball Z: Folks you need to understand that there is a difference between power level & being an interesting character. Yes you are right that Goku probably can beat Superman in a fight, that's not the same thing as Goku actually being interesting as a character.

At the end of the Day people will still be talking about Superman stories 200 years from now, where as Goku & the entire intellectual property of DBZ is already considered a niche nostalgia property. If anyone is still talking about DBZ a decade from now it'll only be in conversations that go like this

Hipsters 1: Hey what was the name of that DBZ story where Goku beats an unbeatable bad guy, by unveiling an over powered special attack.... and the attack like, took time to charge.
    Hipster 2: All of them.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who