Page 45 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755951455451045 ... LastLast

Thread: Jab's Builds!

OPA Belta

Re: Jab's Builds!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    AS SUCH, nowadays I'd more likely just say that all of those "Throws" are just Inaccurate Damage effects (because a grab is harder to hit than a punch in any Fighting Game).
    Depends on what level of emulation you want. You have to be closer to land a Throw, but in most old-school fighters, Throws are unblockable, thus easier to hit with.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger View Post
    My problem with King of Fighters is I tended to like all the characters except the ones who actually drove the plot. I can't stand Iori, Kyo, K', or Ash. The series always seemed to suffer from what comic books do and introduce a dazzlingly powerful character and then nerf them in their next appearance (see: Kula, who can survive entering Earth's atmosphere without any protective gear but then matters as much to the story as a background trash can).
    Same here, basically*. Actually, the same goes for all my fighting-game-playing friends.

* There are others I find very uninteresting or just dislike. Also, King of Fighters: Kyo makes him a bit more interesting by adding some depth, but not enough for me to actually like the character.

MCRN Admiral

Wang Koh-San

And I thought RUFUS was bad!

WANG KOH-SAN
    Game Appearances:
    Art of Fighting 3
    Role: Joke Character, Comic Relief
    PL 7 (103)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
    FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
    Acrobatics 5 (+9)
    Athletics 8 (+10)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
    Deception 6 (+10)
    Expertise (Criminal) 10 (+12)
    Insight 5 (+7)
    Intimidation 4 (+8)
    Perception 6 (+8)
    Persuasion 3 (+7)
    Ranged Combat (Lightning) 2 (+12)
    Vehicles 3 (+8)

Advantages:
    Improved Critical (Unarmed), Taunt

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
    "Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
    "Thunder Butt" Damage 2 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Opponents) Linked to Affliction 5 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to 2 Rounds, Limited to Grounded Opponents, Limited Degree) [4]
    "Special Moves" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Special Moves +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
    Thunder Butt +2-5 Area (+2 Damage & +5 Affliction, DC 17 & 15)
    Initiative +4

Defenses:
    Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
    Motivation (Art)- Wang comes to Glasshill for some inspiration for his artwork.
    Relationship (Lee Pai Long)- Wang & Lee are friends.
    Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 2 + 11 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 11 (103)

-... I kinda liked the days when Fighting Games didn't have stupid Joke Characters. Part of the problem is the Japanese developers have gotten a weird sense of humor in the past decades, and think that fans want some kind of insane fat dude or something. I mean, at least Dan was FUNNY- characters like this guy are just stupid. Wang is an artist in search of inspiration, and thinks Wyler's special serum may interest his friend (and fellow fighter, but not in this game) Lee. He's basically your everyday Joke Character, with PL 6.5 capabilities and nothing much special, besides an Area Attack that can knock guys on their butt.

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by drkrash View Post
    Depends on what level of emulation you want. You have to be closer to land a Throw, but in most old-school fighters, Throws are unblockable, thus easier to hit with.
    Depends- you have to be closer, which means the enemy is also more likely to HIT you- thus you're often going to be taking damage- maybe it's more akin to All-Out Attack, which lowers your Defenses?

Here's an old bit of mine in the section about the merits of various Fighting Game franchises: http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic...870693#p870693

Looking over my Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat builds, I think my opinions on their PLs is mostly the same (though God knows everyone wanted their favourite MK guys to be much more powerful, even though most of them are canonical LOSERS to Liu Kang- Shao Khan lost to him TWICE!), though I think I might drop some of the newbie SFIV guys past PL 9 (the standard World Warrior Power Level), since they're still unproven. We'll see what happens with an update to the series- Capcom is generally better about keeping new faces around and repeatedly pushing them, making it easier to justify guys at higher levels.

MCRN Admiral

Ryuhaku Todoh

More Fighting Game characters need 'staches.

RYUHAKU TODOH
    Game Appearances:
    Art of Fighting 1, Capcom (vs) SNK 2
    Role: Rival Teacher
    PL 8 (110)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
    FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Acrobatics 4 (+7)
    Athletics 4 (+7)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
    Expertise (History) 4 (+5)
    Expertise (Martial Arts) 6 (+7)
    Insight 3 (+5)
    Intimidation 2 (+4)
    Perception 4 (+6)
    Ranged Combat (Blast) 4 (+9)

Advantages:
    Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 3, Takedown

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
    "Overhead Energy Blast" Damage 5 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Extended Reach) (Inaccurate -1) (7) -- [8]
    AE: "Sliding Floor Blast" Blast 5 (Flaws: Distracting) (5)

Offense:
    Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Overhead Blast +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
    Sliding Floor Blast +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
    Enemy (Kyokugenryu School of Karate)
    Relationship (Wife & Daughter)- Ryuhaku's daughter Kasumi is a proud student of her father's, and Ryuhaku is known to embarassingly-cry every time she accomplishes something.
    Guilt (Shame)- When Ryuhaku was easily eaten by Ryo in the first game, he was humiliated, and went on a quest to perfect himself.
    Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 6 + 11 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 13 (110)

-Todoh is the only character from the first Art of Fighting game to not make the sequels. The reasoning is kinda not there, since, while generic, he's hardly worse than Jack or Mickey Rogers. Though his story is definitely ridiculously by-the-book: he's the teacher of a rival school, out to defeat Ryo & Robert for his own Todoh-style martial arts (kind of a Kendo/Aikido mixture). Official storytelling is that he got his ass kicked BAD, and disappeared on everyone (including his family) to go train. He got a Replacement Character with his daughter Kasumi Todoh in AoF3, being the only good part of the new characters in that game, and she went on to appear in a handful of the King of Fighters games. Ryuhaku, though, was done, except for a bizarre inclusion (alongside fellow nobody Eagle, from Street Fighter- ie. the original) in Capcom (vs) SNK 2, now looking and fighting pretty cool.

-Ryuhaku has the standard "SNK Sliding Floor Blast" which couldn't hit anyone if they were jumping even a little bit, and his overhead Blast, which is more of a standard Damage effect that has good reach (ie. his Strength doesn't matter). Otherwise, he's pretty decent, but only a PL 7.5 compared to Ryo & Robert- I was gonna make him PL 7, but when I realized I'd buffed up SFI's Eagle because HE made the jump to Capcom (vs) SNK, I knew that it was only fair to give the same benefit for Todoh. I'd theorize that most of the supporting goons in the AoF games (especially losers like Todoh) would only match that, being not good enough to EVER get selected for a King of Fighters tournament. Even his Chest Plate doesn't give him any kind of a boost.

MCRN Admiral

Kasumi Todoh

KASUMI TODOH
    Game Appearances:
    Art of Fighting 3, King of Fighters '96, '98-2000, '02 & XI, SNK (vs) Capcom SVC Chaos
    Role: Rival School
    PL 8 (105)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
    FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Acrobatics 4 (+9)
    Athletics 4 (+6)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+14)
    Expertise (History) 2 (+3)
    Expertise (Martial Arts) 5 (+6)
    Perception 4 (+6)
    Ranged Combat (Blast) 5 (+10)

Advantages:
    Benefit (Gets at Automatic Trip Attempt With a Successful Parry While Taking the Defend Action), Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Special Moves), Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 3, Takedown

Powers:
    "Overhead Energy Blast" Damage 4 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Extended Reach) (Inaccurate -1) (6) -- [7]
    • AE: "Sliding Floor Blast" Blast 5 (Flaws: Distracting) (5)

Offense:
    Unarmed +14 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Overhead Blast +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
    Sliding Floor Blast +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
    Initiative +9

Defenses:
    Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
    Enemy (Kyokugenryu School of Karate)
    Relationship (Mother & Father)- Kasumi is respectful of her mother, but worships her father and strives to see insults against him avenged.
    Responsibility (Sheltered)- Kasumi had a sheltered upbringing, and thus doesn't always know what to do in certain social situations.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 9 + 11 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 10 (105)

-See, if you replace 99% of the cast of a Fighting Game, but at least make the successors the CHILDREN or students of past fighters, it's not so bad. I mean, people crapped all over some of the Street Fighter III characters (and with good reason), and most of the AoF3 crowd is awful, but Kasumi actually MAKES SENSE. Since her father Ryuhaku disappeared during after the first game in the series, she's come out of the woodwork to gain some revenge on the Kyokugenryo School, and earn back some prestige for her father. She was popular enough that SNK eventually brought her into the King of Fighters series, first joining King's updated Womens Team (with Mai Shiranui), but disappears from the next tourney, and has been gone since 2002's. Legacy Characters are still great, though- I even like the design. While a BIT plain, it's distinctive and reflects a real fighter.

-Generally, she's always in some variation of that squad. She fights much like her father, but in a faster, lighter style, and she's BETTER too (her combos and Punch-Counters are notorious), owing to successful appearances in multiple King of Fighters tournaments, something afforded to no other Art of Fighting 3 character. Some of her moves allow her to hold her hands out, and if she catches an attack of the right type, she'll toss the opponent automatically. Sort of like how Mecha & Manga's Follow-Up Strike worked.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-06-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Kasumi was a monster (well, in terms of gameplay, not story) on Art of Fighting 3. Or at least I found that game easier with her than any other character.

As for her counters in terms of M&M 3E, may I suggest not having it work every time she successfully parries an attack and instead model it after the Weapon Bind and Weapon Break advantages, taking effect when using the Defend action?

OPA Belta

I'm rather looking forward to the K' build. My friends were big SNK fans (me, not so much), and given my real name also begins with a "K", I was stuck with the nick-name "K-Dash" for the longest time...

MCRN Admiral

Takuma Sakazaki

TAKUMA SAKAZAKI
    Game Appearances:
    Art of Fighting 1 & 2, King of Fighters '94, '95 & '98-2002, KoF XIII & EX2, SNK (vs) Capcom SVC Chaos
    Role: The Mentor, The Secret Boss
    PL 9 (136)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
    FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 1
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
    Acrobatics 5 (+9)
    Athletics 6 (+9)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+14)
    Deception 2 (+3)
    Expertise (Art) 4 (+5)
    Expertise (Martial Arts) 12 (+13)
    Insight 5 (+7)
    Intimidation 7 (+8)
    Perception 7 (+9)
    Ranged Combat (Chi) 6 (+11)

Advantages:
    Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Critical (Special Moves) 2, Improved Grab, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown, Taunt

Powers:
    "Tiger Blast & Invisible Version" Blast 5 (Feats: Improved Critical, Subtle 2) (Drawbacks: Distracting) (8) -- [10]
    • AE: "Megaton Punch" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
      AE: "Lightning Fist Attack" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Multiattack 4) (Flaws: Distracting) (3)

Offense:
    Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
    Special Moves +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
    Fireball +11 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
    Initiative +4

Defenses:
    Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
    Obsession (Furthering Kyokugenryo-School Karate & Perfecting Himself)
    Secret (Is Totally Not Mr. Karate At All)
    Relationship (Ryo & Yuri)- Takuma is a protective father, and wishes to take care of his children (especially since he was once forced to fight Ryo by Mr. Big). He desperately wishes for grandchildren, and thus pushes King at Ryo.
    Enemy (Mr. Big, Geese Howard, Eiji Kisaragi, Ryuhaku Todoh)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 16 + 11 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 20 (136)

-Takuma's an interesting AoF character, and a big rarity in brawlers: a father figure who's ACTUALLY ALIVE. Seriously, which other famous fighting game characters can you think of that actually have a father mentioned in the canon who WASN'T killed by some other crazy rival? Appearing as a mid-boss in the first AoF game, Takuma was under a Tengu Mask (something totally lost on our culture, and instead looks 100% lame and goofy, resembling a silly face with a penis for a nose), being called "Mister Karate", and you had to defeat him. Before the finishing blow was struck, younger sister Yuri burst out, begging you to stop, since it was YOUR DAD and all. Subsequent games would feature him as a stern, domineering dad, repeatedly bugging his children to focus, train harder, train more, and breed like bunny rabbits to keep the Kyokugenryo School going. All the while disguising himself as Mister Karate when the need was there, and denying it was actually him (despite it consisting of a mask over his usual outfit, and the fact that everyone knew it was him anyways).

-Takuma isn't too much different from Ryo, just shifting his points around here and there. He's a bit slower, but equal in accuracy & defense, and has all the same Powers (but apparently has an Invisible Fireball in there). He's also much, much more intimidating, and once deflected a KILLER SATELLITE'S LASER BEAM with a Hadoken rip-off! Hey, when the potential future of your bloodline is threatened (King was in danger), you play those damn Hero Points. Takuma also has very high Deception, even though he is DEFINITELY not Mr. Karate, oh no sir.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 06-23-2014 at 03:54 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    Kasumi was a monster (well, in terms of gameplay, not story) on Art of Fighting 3. Or at least I found that game easier with her than any other character.

As for her counters in terms of M&M 3E, may I suggest not having it work every time she successfully parries an attack and instead model it after the Weapon Bind and Weapon Break advantages, taking effect when using the Defend action?
    Good idea- I forgot a Defend Action was a thing. I was thinking there was an old Mecha & Manga thing for that, but couldn't find it, so just copied Follow-Up Strike (which was VERY unbalanced).