Page 40 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250901405401040 ... LastLast

Thread: Jab's Builds!

UN Basic Recipient mageofthesands's Avatar

Re: Jab's Builds!

Heroes Reborn is the closest Marvel came to a Crisis level reboot, and it worked out for the most part. Spider-Man had to wait until Brand New Day era to wipe out some of the "mistakes" of the last decade. (Some needed, some not, same end result: Brand New Day Spider-Man books are better than pre-Brand New Day, imo) And that's all to say about that part. The rest though, well, besides Teen Tony and the entirety of The Crossing being undone, we got a Thor book without the 90s costume, Thunderstrike, Red Norvell, and several other Thors. As much as I liked elements of the Thor/Enchantress living together in a NYC apartment, and the Blood & Thunder storyline, I think there was a lot of stuff needing scrubbing.

And Heroes Reborn happened while Marvel was bankrupt, right? It's brilliant. "We're going to restructure, retool our major titles to avoid what made us bankrupt in the first place. Let's just license out the books to Liefeld & Lee for a year to bring in some money. We'll ignore everything that happens there."

It's also both brilliant and weird that most major heroes today are actually recreations of Franklin Richards. They're essentially all clones, brought back to basics because that's how their creator remembers them. At least, I think that's how it goes from reading Avengers and Thunderbolts.

I also like how Loki is aware he is not actually Loki, and goes about trying to become a real person.
    Last edited by mageofthesands; 06-19-2014 at 04:27 PM.

MCRN Admiral

The Trouble With SNK

SNK BUILDS (Art of Fighting & Fatal Fury):

The Trouble With SNK:

See, when people request SNK, or say they're fans of SNK characters, I always take it to mean what it does when people say they're fans of Alpha Flight- it means they ACTUALLY only like a few characters, and they never have any idea how many OTHER ones there are. I mean, every time I get requests for them, it's always "I really want to see Terry, Geese & Rugal!" (The way fans who like Alpha Flight only like Sasquatch & Snowbird). They don't know there's 21 Art of Fighting characters and FORTY-FOUR Fatal Fury characters . And many of those characters are utterly plain.

SNK in general suffers from this greatly- while the Street Fighter series took great efforts to make every single character well-designed and playable (up until SF III, when bad designs started getting pumped out- it'd only get worse in SF IV, though even THEN there's still a TON of work being put into these guys- even losers like Necro & Q still had a lot of detail), SNK was happy to simply churn out Generic Army Guy as a Guile knock-off and call it a day. The first AoF game had some PATHETIC fighters in it, many of whom are legendary for being short-sightedly weak. Fatal Fury has its share of forgettable characters, too. By King of Fighters, they had mostly gotten it out of their system, but fell into another trap- absolutely every single character had to be dressing in modern fashion, wearing some kind of shirt with slacks. One or two is fine, but they eventually COULD NOT BREAK OUT OF THAT.

Most SNK games have balance issues, with some characters being much too dominant over others, and the Final Bosses being completely unfair and over-the-top, though it IS great fun being one of the people who say they FINALLY managed to beat one of this supreme arseholes. But overall, Character Quality is an issue- every single character in Street Fighter II was a good one. Even ones that *I* don't like, like Dhalsim, are at least unique and original- you can absolutely tell that a lot of thought went into each and every character (the only "plain" Street Fighters are Ken, Ryu, Balrog & Fei Long, and the former two get a pass because they're so early to gaming, and are the main characters; Fei Long is naturally a Bruce Lee Clone, so there's less of an excuse). But even the best SNK games tend to just throw around some crap to fill numbers- you get "Guy With Gi", "Guy in Traditional Outfit", "Biker", etc.

-Next up: The first two big SNK Fighting Games series: The Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury! And no- I will NOT be doing The King of Fighters immediately thereafter- that would take like three months altogether, and I'm not torturing the non-Fighting Game fans for that long . I'll do it eventually, but later.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 06-20-2015 at 06:30 AM.

MCRN Admiral

The Art of Fighting

THE ART OF FIGHTING:

Fighter's Generation link

-An explanation of The Art of Fighting (The Fist of the Dragon and the Tiger in Japan): The series was created in 1992 by two former members of Capcom, who left the company during the formation of Street Fighter II, and they devoted themselves to making their own brand of fighting games. The first of which is fairly notorious for being the weakest of SNK's Big Four (AoF, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury & King of Fighters), but ahead of it's REALLY crappy sub-set of fighting games (World Heroes & Aggressors of Dark Kombat). So why am I doing Art of Fighting (aka "The Fist of the Dragon and the Tiger" in Japan)? Well, I kinda wanted to finish up more SNK characters, and where better to start than their debut game?

I have some very specific memories of this game, owing to the fact that in Elementary School, we would go on these large trips to a nearby Ski Hill, and I, being generally unathletic and a huge video game fan, would attach myself to the Arcade machines there- a simple collection of generic Neo-Geo stuff, but mainly Art of Fighting (I don't think they had Fatal Fury just yet. I made a few rudimentary attempts to play it, but I wasn't any GOOD at Fighters at the time, and so probably lost my first bout, or any time I played another kid. Also I was like ten, so I probably didn't have much money to play in the first place. But that's largely all I remember about going to the Ski Hill- seeing a Neo-Geo system for the first time. In general, the kids all thought it sucked compared to SFII (though being able to knock someone's sunglasses off was cool), but it was the only thing there.

Now, the game had serious flaws- it was OBVIOUSLY derivative of SF II (basically the two guys wanted to make their own game), it had only a couple playable characters in story mode, Ryo was EMBARASSINGLY and blatantly a rip-off of both Ryu (the name & powers) & Ken (the hair & attitude), enough that I'm amazed SNK didn't get sued. The game also has some balance issues in terms of some characters being ridiculously elite compared to others. The gameplay is also extremely "stiff", with large, relatively-immobile characters.

It wasn't all bad, though- the series debuted Super Moves to fighting games, as well as Power Meters, and introduced a handful of people that've gone on to video game history. And arguably the biggest thing was that in actually CHANGED THE CHARACTER SPRITES as they took damage, with sunglasses being broken and people bleeding- alas, this didn't last and later Fighting Games did not include it. The series was popular enough to earn a sequel a couple years later, featuring Mr. Big & Geese Howard as the Final Bosss (if you pass certain challenges)- it's known for having some of the toughest computer A.I. in Fighter history. A third game was released much later, only re-using Ryo & Robert (Fatal Fury did the same thing with its last sequel[/i]).

The eternal legacy of the game series is basically that a few of its fighters (but not many) ended up in The King of Fighters games- Ryo & Robert were central to the Art of Fighting Team, along with Ryo's father Takuma and sister Yuri. King would also become a popular recurring character, and Eiji would appear sometimes, while Mr. Big mostly disappeared. Kasumi Todoh (from the third game) would show up a couple times, and her father Ryuhaku (from the first) showed up as a surprise in Capcom (vs) SNK (along with Street Fighter I's Eagle). Capcom, annoyed at SNK's ripping off of its characters and design, designed Dan Hibiki, the ultimate Joke Character, as a knock-off of Ryo and Robert, making a PINK gi for a guy who had Robert's hair and used Art of Fighting taunts.

The Plot: Ryo Sakazaki and his caucasian buddy Robert are victims of a kidnapping plot when Ryo's father and sister disappear, thanks to the machinations of Mr. Big, a Crimelord Pimp of their native Southtown. Mr. Big sets up an array of goons and martial artists in the friends' path, and they have to fight their way through all of them to get to Mr. Big. Beating him down, they are prevented from killing his minion Mr. Karate when it turns out that he's Ryo's dad, having been forced to do Mr. Big's bidding because of his kidnapped daughter. Originally taking place as a prequel to Fatal Fury several years in the past (hence the appearance of a young Geese Howard in AoF 2, they quickly ignored this come King of Fighters, and now all the fighters are contemporaries.

The Roster:
    THE ART OF FIGHTING:
    Ryo Sakazaki- A Ryu rip-off and the main character.
    Robert Garcia- The Ken and Ryo's Italian buddy.
    Ryuhaku Todoh- Mr. Big's yes-man.
    Jack Turner- A big fat biker.
    Lee Pai Long- An evil doctor.
    King- A woman cross-dressing as a man in order to get money for her sick brother. Turns into a hottie later, surprisingly.
    Micky Rogers- A forgettable Boxer.
    John Crawley- A Guile rip-off. No relationship to anyone on Downton Abbey.
    Mr. Big- A nasty pimp and Crime Boss in Southtown. The Final Boss.
    Mr. Karate (Takuma Sakazaki)- A masked henchman and Secret Boss.

THE ART OF FIGHTING 2:
    Yrui Sakazaki- Ryo's little sister and annoyance, though a funny and popular character.
    Eiji Kisaragi- A nasty ninja.
    Temjin- Chubby Mongolian.
    Geese Howard- A younger crimeboss.

THE ART OF FIGHTING 3:
    Jin Fu-Ha- Giant ninja.
    Karman Cole- Rugal wannabe with an overly-stiff stance.
    Lenny Creston- Whip chick.
    Rody Birts- Bounty-hunting punker (I hate punkers).
    Wang Koh-San- Fat Joke Character.
    Sinclair- Persian-styled Sub-Boss with a Scimitar.
    Wyler- Steroid-addled Boss.

POWER LEVELS IN SNK GAMES:

The standard PL set-up in other Fighting Games is as such:
    PL 6: Basically a nothing (example: Art Lean from the Mortal Kombat movie)
    PL 7: Jobbers and Joke Characters. Note that even a Joke Character is way tougher than an ordinary person (examples: Dan Hibiki, the forgotten Street Fighter I guys, Generic Mortal Kombatants)
    PL 8: Generic Fighting Game Characters- the baseline in World Heroes, Eternal Champions and Toshinden, and sub-par but still-good fighters in more advanced Fighting Game series. (examples: Sakura, Ermac, Rain, Stryker)
    PL 9: Elites in lower-end games, and Generic Fighting Game Characters in elite franchises. (examples: Balrog, Fei Long, E. Honda, Zangief, Mike Haggar, Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade, Kitana, standard Killer Instinct guys)
    PL 10: Elite fighters and Tournament Champions. Equivalent to a standard Marvel Comics or DC Comics experience hero. (examples: Ken, Ryu, Chun-Li, Guile, Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Goro, Shang Tsung, The Eternal Champion, Vermilion)
    PL 11: Super-Elites and Bosses in elite fighting games. (examples: Sagat, M. Bison, Kintaro, Motaro, Neo-Dio, The Dark Champion)
    PL 12: Super-Bosses in elite fighters. (examples: Gill, Seth, Gouken, Akuma, Shao Kahn, other MK Bosses)
    PL 13: None (yet)

To a large extent, I see the elites of SNK matches up with the elites of Capcom and Midway. There is a certain issue as to where each character goes, however... For this, I use a set of criteria:

1) Bosses- Bosses are naturally more high-end because you have to fight through everybody to get to them, and they're the top dogs. As the game series goes on, Bosses tend to become "regular guys", and this is reflected by guys like M. Bison & Sagat being PL 11 (only a notch above the Elites), and Goro & Shang Tsung being PL 10 (equivalent to Liu Kang & Scorpion).

2) Canonical Winners- However, some Bosses aren't QUITE as high up as you'd think- while SNK Bosses are notoriously-tough, they're ALSO specifically described in the canon as losing in each tournament- it's a matter of fact that Ryu defeated Sagat by breaking his limits in Street Fighter I, for example, and no matter how tough all the King of Fighters bosses are, each and every one of them lost to the main characters of each game. This category also becomes important on fighters who moved on to KoF- however good we think Terry Bogard is, his ass never won a trophy in the KoF leagues- it's a matter of record that the Fatal Fury Team always came up short while The Hero Team (Kyo's squad, then K's, then Ash's) moved on. This means that most of the Series Aces (Ryo, Terry, Kyo) are more elite fighters than their contemporaries, as they're explicitly stated as having won various tournaments.

3) More Games = A Better Fighter- This isn't ALWAYS true (many SNK Bosses die in their games and are thus one-shots), but it usually is. It just makes SENSE to me- a better fighter would be invited back for more tournaments. Some generic Boxer Guy in an SNK game that gets replaced and never shows up again was CLEARLY never that great a fighter in the first place. Art of Fighting has a solid handful of fighters that moved on to later games (Ryo, Robert, King, Yuri, Eiji), but several more were left behind and never seen again (Jack, John, etc.). This can sometimes go against the concept of balance (in that most fighting games should have everyone at the same level), but then most of these guys are only separated by a PL or two.

4) Fatal Fury > Art of Fighting- Just because. Also, they have more KoF guys.

-Doing a check to see where I think all the initial PLs should be, I noticed something between the various Fighting Games- Capcom has only a handful of PL 7s (six overall), while SNK has a staggering THIRTY, owing to all of the forgettable Jobbers and one-shot guys. SNK still has twice as many PL 8s as Capcom (the numbers are closer here: 24-42), but they're about equal in PL 9s- SNKs much, MUCH larger overall roster adds up to create a lot of long-running stars that deserve to be on the level with Capcom's elites. Here they outnumber Capcom 32-28. In PL 10s they take another advantage owing to more games, and also have more PL 11s. Some of this may change later based upon doing more research, but overall, SNK just has the numbers to at least equal Capcom's highest-end fighters in Power Level, even if their overall average is MUCH, MUCH lower.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 06-19-2014 at 11:55 PM.

MCRN Admiral

Jack Turner

JACK TURNER
    Game Appearances:
    Art of Fighting 1 & 2
    Role: Big Fat Powerhouse, Generic Biker
    PL 7 (98)
    STRENGTH
    4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Acrobatics 2 (+3)
    Athletics 2 (+6)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
    Deception 3 (+5)
    Investigation 2 (+2)
    Intimidation 5 (+7)
    Expertise (Biker) 8 (+8)
    Insight 2 (+2)
    Perception 4 (+4)
    Vehicles 5 (+7)

Advantages:
    Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Motorcycle, Gang Paraphernalia), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Taunt

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
    "Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
    "Screwdriver Headbutt" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Multiattack 6) (Flaws: Distracting) (Drawbacks: Inaccurate) [5]

Offense:
    Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
    Screwdriver Headbutt +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
    Motivation (Greed)- Jack leads the Black Cats motorcycle gang, and is a subordinate lieutenant of Mr. Big.
    Secret ("I Wanna DANCE!")- Jack wants to turn the Black Cats into a dance troupe in his AoF 2 Ending.
    Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 11 + 11 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 13 (98)

-Wow, a TOTALLY generic concept for the Art of Fighting series. But I kinda like Jack, though . He's got some edge as a Big Fat Jobber for the main heroes, and at the time, he was far and away the hugest fighting game sprite ever. A big, burly gangster, he only lasted for the two AoF games and never moved on (like most of the cast), but there's something about how generic he is that I just like.

-A pretty simple Powerhouse archetype, done up as a human-level guy with some hitting power and good grappling skills, Jack is pretty limited, but is still hard to hurt for the lower-level protagonists of the AoF series. His Screwdriver Headbutt spin attack is pretty lethal, doing tons of damage, but it's inaccurate & Distracting so it rarely hits. His other moves are basic easy-to-explain-in-regular-fights stuff like Butt Slams & Power Punches, both handled by Power Attack and the like. Again, a PL 6.5 guy isn't much, but it's good enough to challenge a PL 8 or 9 for a bit (especially if you assume that Ryo & Robert were less-talented in their first couple games), and it's accurate, given that none of these supporting AoF guys ever got reinvited to a major tournament or anything, while guys like Eiji, King & Yuri did.

MCRN Admiral

Lee Pai Long

LEE PAI LONG
    Game Appearances:
    Art of Fighting 1 & 2, Neo-Geo Battle Coloseum
    Role: The Fast Guy, The Poker
    PL 8 (123)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
    FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
    INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
    Acrobatics 7 (+13)
    Athletics 6 (+8)
    Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+7)
    Expertise (Prison Director) 6 (+9)
    Expertise (Martial Arts) 4 (+7)
    Insight 5 (+8)
    Intimidation 4 (+5)
    Perception 4 (+7)
    Treatment 8 (+11)

Advantages:
    Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Equipment 1 (Claws- +0 Damage, Split, Slashing/Piercing), Evasion, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Claws), Improved Defense, Takedown

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
    "Iron Nails" Deflect Energy Attacks 10 (Flaws: Distracting) (5) -- [6]
    • AE: "Spinning Attack/Lightning Fist" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Multiattack 5) (Flaws: Distracting) (3.5)

Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Lightning Fist/Spin Attack +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Initiative +6

Defenses:
    Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
    Responsibility (Southtown Prison, Herbal Medicine Shop)
    Rivalry (Kyokugenryo School)- Lee's father was a rival of Takuma Sakazaki, and has a friendly relationship with Takuma himself.
    Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 8 + 11 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 10 (123)

-Lee Pai Long is another fairly boring background character in Art of Fighting 1 & 2, being a kooky-looking masked guy with mini-versions of Wolverine & Vega's Claws, who focuses on leaping around, using spin attacks & Lightning Fist strikes to wear down the bigger, meatier characters. He's a weird sort who runs an herbal shop with Chinese Medicinal stuff (so... rhino & tiger penis?), but also runs Southtown's prison, and ends up mixed in with Mr. Big's crew. A classic "Poker" character, he wasn't popular enough to outlast his series, but actually got an update in Neo-Geo Battle Coloseum, essentially a collection of forgotten & lesser characters like Lee, which poor Jack & John can't boast.

-Lee Pai Long is quite fast, and very skilled, able to modify most of his caps as necessary. Despite having Bladed Gloves, they don't modify his damage any (He's a low-strength Poker in the game, so I don't see him hitting +3 damage, and I don't see him hitting only +1 unarmed, so I think +2 for everything is okay). His Lightning Strike has extra ranks of Multiattack paid for, in case he wants to use Power Attack (which he likely will). He's among the easiest fighters to injure, however, and isn't likely to hold his own once he gets caught by any of the power-fighters. And he's still PL 7 on offense (PL 7.5 on defense), able to challenge the PL 9 heroes a bit, but ultimately will always fall short.

Quote Originally Posted by mageofthesands View Post
    Brand New Day Spider-Man books are better than pre-Brand New Day, imo
    believe it or not, I agree with you: The post BND stuff was better, but it didn't get to the point of being legitimately good until the Big Time story line when Slott took over.... Though all the credit can't go to Slott, the consistently good artwork of Humberto Ramos also really leant its self well to that kind of narrative.... Almost a back to basics Superhero look, rather than marvels usual fare of over rendered, painted interiors with to much shadow, dark & sombreness.

Not saying it wasn't decent before that, there were some really interesting stories, but it wasn't until Peter started getting his life in order with the Horizon Labs job & there was an over arching plot with a singular artistic vision did it become trade-waiting worthy.

Heck even Spider Island, which I HATED when it was coming out as it felt like it was going to slowly, is actually a pretty good read in trade format. Isn't strange how something that works in single issues sometimes doesn't work in trade & vice versa.... Much of Invincible for instance doesn't work in trade, but does work as single issues.

And that's all to say about that part. The rest though, well, besides Teen Tony and the entirety of The Crossing being undone
    Don't forget undoing the Wasp turning into some weird mutant bug creature.

Thunderstrike
    LOL, believe it or not, I own the complete run of Thunderstrike. When I get back to full time work I'm going to send it off to be turned into a full length trade, possibly with a leather cover.

The only question is, do I want to keep the Code Blue sections or not.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Re: The Trouble With SNK

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    See, when people request SNK, or say they're fans of SNK characters, I always take it to mean what it does when people say they're fans of Alpha Flight- it means they ACTUALLY only like a few characters, and they never have any idea how many OTHER ones there are. I mean, every time I get requests for them, it's always "I really want to see Terry, Geese & Rugal!"
    Heh, not me. Back in the day I could probably sing (well, say the lyrics, since I suck at singing) Blue Mary's Blues, and I know the backstories and trivia of most characters (including a bit on guys that don't even appear on the fighting games, such a some of the characters that are only on the RPG King of Fighters: Kyo).

But yeah, even as a SNK fan, I freely admit they had a lot of terrible characters, especially in the early games (though some of them were at least funny in their terribleness. Besides it became fun to see them playing around with the ridiculousness sometimes, like keeping Richard Meyer's fucked up "capoeira ginga" from his original terrible animation in the Maximum Impact version).

Art of Fighting in particular was terrible. No wonder the Sakazaki family beat up everyone, since most of the opposition was pathetic XD
    Last edited by danelsan; 06-20-2014 at 01:38 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Ryo Sakazaki

RYO SAKAZAKI
    Game Appearances:
    Art of Fighting 1-3, Fatal Fury Special, All King of Fighters Games, Capcom (vs) SNK, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, Buriki-One
    Role: The Hero, The Ryu, Ryu's Biggest Rip-Off Ever
    PL 9 (135)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
    FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 1
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Acrobatics 4 (+9)
    Athletics 6 (+9)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+14)
    Expertise (Art) 4 (+5)
    Expertise (Theology & Philosophy) 6 (+7)
    Expertise (Martial Arts) 10 (+11)
    Insight 4 (+6)
    Intimidation 4 (+6)
    Perception 4 (+6)
    Ranged Combat (Fireball) 8 (+11)
    Vehicles 3 (+4)

Advantages:
    Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Equipment 2 (Motorcycle), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Special Moves) 2, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown, Taunt

Powers:
    "Tiger Blast" Blast 5 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Drawbacks: Distracting) (6) -- [8]
    • AE: "Megaton Punch" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (Drawbacks: Inaccurate) (2)
      AE: "Lightning Fist Attack" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (Flaws: Distracting) (1.5)

Offense:
    Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
    Megaton Punch +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
    Tiger Blast +11 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
    Initiative +5

Defenses:
    Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
    Obsession (Furthering Kyokugenryo-School Karate & Perfecting Himself)- He's basically a Ryu knock-off down to his core.
    Relationship (King)- Ryo kind of has this thing with King, but they haven't moved the relationship forward in like 20 years. It's clear he likes her, and they go on dates and stuff, but it's probably not even physical yet.
    Relationship (Robert)- The two are best friends.
    Relationship (Takuma & Yuri)- Ryo is close with his father and sister, but is frequently exasperated by them.
    Enemy (Mr. Big, Geese Howard, Eiji Kisaragi, Ryuhaku Todoh)- Ryo's attempt to clean up Southtown has led many people to view him as a threat.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 14 + 11 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 17 (135)

-Ryo, as stated, is just embarassing. There's a reason Terry Bogard immediately eclipsed him as the primary fighting game guy of the SNK Universe. Just a generic Shotoclone in a gi, he looks so much like Ken & plays so much like Ken & Ryu that it's among the most flagrant rip-offs in video game history. Despite this, he is the game's main hero; a sometimes sarcastic & flippant master of Kyokugenryo Karate, devoted to rescuing his sister Yuri in the first game from evil karate-pimp Mr. Big. By the next game, Yuri was his annoying sister, and a subplot was added between him & King (more on her later). Altogether though, he's pretty uninteresting as just a cheap xerox fighter.

-As the baseline Hero of the Art of Fighting series, Ryo earns PL 9 status, making him equivalent to the non-Elite Street Fighter II characters- since he's just a cheap copy but still a very good fighter in his own right, I think it fits. He's got some Shotoclone tricks and a Chi Blast attack, mostly fairly-light stuff so he can focus more on great accuracy. He's still a great fighter, however. For his moves, I did pretty basic fighting game stuff, but left the Dragon Punch knock-off and overhead smash up to "regular" basic M&M attacks, rather than Powers. Instead, he's got a basic, smaller Fireball (he could fire them, though in KoF they were oddly nerfed to a power punch) and can Extra Effort it into a bigger version- the accuracy is actually pretty decent on it since SNK Fireballs are actually quite big sometimes. He has a super Power Punch and a combo-type move that hits multiple times, like many AoF guys. I translate those moves into an Multiattack, and leave their Super versions up to Extra Effort.

I've got a soft spot for Ryo courtesy of the guys behind the Ultimate Video Rumble chain fics. dude got eliminated in the early rounds for pretty much the reasons you've outlined, but as the fic goes on he goes from a dateless loser who gets wiped out in round 3 to the hero of the piece, rallying the other fighters to stop demitri's plot for godhood

as for art of fighting, I'd heard they actually put some thought into the taunt system, so by using it you could affect the other guy's super bar

Ah SNK, the Pepsi of fighting games. It seems like they saved a lot of their creativity for Samurai Showdown when it came to the really, really weird character designs, though I did always have a soft spot for the Fatal Fury games. If nothing else I dug the animes they released in the 90's, and even if today I realize they're fairly mediocre, I've still got a soft spot for them. Less so for the Art of Fighting anime, which may be the worst video game adaptation ever. Yes, it's that bad.

Ryo's orange outfit, the wristbands and the shirt underneath the gi also make him look like he's cosplaying Goku, just for additional ripped-offness.