Page 853 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 3537538038438518528538548558639039531353 ... LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,530 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Re: Jab's Builds!

MAN, reading the later years of the Hama series can be painful... it's like- there's this great line here or there, and some fun moments! But then....

* The early '90s rear their ugly heads and hit this book HARD. Everyone's doing bad imitations of what was cool in the '90s, but the artists can't draw faces worth anything.

* The ludicrous complexity of the backstory gets a little hard to take. I think my breaking point is the "Firefly reveals that HE trained with the Arashikage, TOO, and that HE was the original agent supposed to kill Snake Eyes... and it's because Snake Eyes' family died in a car crash with Cobra Commander's brother! It's like Hama was trying to match the stupid of Ed Brubaker's "Charles Xavier formed a new X-Men team to take on Krakoa, they died, and THEN he formed the REAL team we all know! Then wiped everyone's minds of the middle team!", but years before that happened.

* A Transformers crossover that feels so out of nowhere it's practically mind-blowing. The Joe-verse was KIND OF unrealistic, what with all the clones and ninja mysticism stuff, but it was almost semi-grounded. Then the ALIEN TRANSFORMING ROBOTS come in.

* Things form up with the Ninja Force, except it's really just a bunch of nobodies being led by the elite characters.

* The fate of The White Clown and his Magda is horribly-depressing, and done so casually that it felt like a slap in the face given how important their backstory was in another arc. Though it DOES make Cobra Commander out to be an even MORE horrible dick (and this is a guy who once walked onto a splash page literally kicking a dog in the ass).

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    For a while they changed the GI Joe book to "GI Joe: Starring Snake-Eyes".

I also like the logic Hama used when having Snake-Eyes be so badass. There's that old trope of "The mighty whitey" where a white guy goes to some other nation and becomes as good or better than the natives at their own skills. But Haka points out rightly that ethnicity doesn't decide your capabilities. Your talent and your willingness to work had to improve your talent decides how capable you are. So there's no reason why Snake-Eyes lack of Japanese heritage should hold him back from being a badass ninja.

I also liked that Snake-Eyes and Stormshadow were equals in most respects, with SE being a better swordsman and SS being a better archer. And I loved when the two of them basically steamrolled Cobra Island just the two of them.

I also need to find those Snake Eyes notes you mention. Sounds pretty funny.
    Found 'em. Issue #4 (first TPB). Hawk & Grunt infiltrate a crackpot militia group in Montana, with Snake-Eyes observing from afar, making notes.

Hawk: "These other guys are really out of shape!"
    Grunt: "Yeah! We're holding back as much as we can without being obvious, and we're still leading the pack!"

Snake-Eyes Notes:
    "Observed Hawk & Grunt pretending to be clumsy and slow in most-unconvincing manner..."

Actually, that's about it for the quips. It stood out to me enough to recall it years later, but the rest is just matter-of-fact notes about his plans for infiltration, and the capabilities of the militia HQ. His personal notes have a very terse "Rorschach"-like quality to them, but I'd imagine military notes are rather succinct ("One B-29 Super-Fortress Heavy Bomber. Primitive, but is well within nuclear delivery capacity! Must infiltrate and confirm nuclear capability. Will penetrate tonight at..."). Some of the notes are fun, as Snake-Eyes coldly explains his tactics ("will coordinate wire cutting with highest levels of nocturnal insect noise"

MCRN Admiral

Roadblock

(Roadblock & co. are in the American Embassy of a rioting foreign country, and actively watching rioters loot & pillage the Embassy. Their mission is to rescue the Ambassador, nothing more)
    Roadblock: (spotting an arsonist about to set fire to the American flag) "Gotta stop the guy with the lighter..."
    Psyche-Out: "Let him slide, Roadblock--"
    Roadblock: "No way." (looks to guy) "Sir, would you kindly desist in your actions and leave the premises?"
    Guy: (spits on Roadblock's head- the gob drizzling down the side. Then he moves his lighter inches from the flag. Roadblock loads up his .50 calibre machine gun)
    Roadblock: "I am obliged to be courteous... and persistent. Sir, you are wilfully attempting to destroy United States property. If you persist in doing so, I SHALL reduce your head to a fine mist."
    Guy: "You're crazy! There are people walking out of here with IBM typewriters! Why don't you shoot some of them?
    Roadblock: "Nobody ever died for a typewriter."

ROADBLOCK (Marvin F. Hinton)
    Military Specialty:
    Heavy Machine Gunner, Cook
    Role: Scary Black Man, Team Powerhouse, Big Blaster, Black Best Friend
    Group Affiliations: G.I. Joe
    PL 8 (126)
    STRENGTH
    4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
    FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 1 (+3)
    Athletics 5 (+9)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+10)
    Deception 1 (+4)
    Expertise (Soldier) 9 (+11)
    Expertise (Chef) 8 (+10) -- Half-Cost
    Expertise (Heavy Weapon Operator) 4 (+6)
    Insight 3 (+6)
    Intimidation 7 (+10)
    Investigation 2 (+5)
    Perception 5 (+8)
    Persuasion 2 (+5)
    Ranged Combat (Firearms) 2 (+10)
    Ranged Combat (Machine Gun) 1 (+11)
    Stealth 2 (+4)
    Technology 2 (+4)
    Treatment 1 (+3)
    Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
    Benefit (G.I. Joe Team), Equipment 6, Fast Grab, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Browing .50 cal) 2, Improved Hold, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Skill Mastery (Soldier), Teamwork, Ultimate Soldier, Withstand Damage

Equipment:
    25 points' worth of Arsenal Equipment
    "Browning .50 calibre Machine Gun" Blast 9 (Feats: Restricted to Freaky-Strong People) (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -2) (26)

Powers:
    "Sheer Size & Strength" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
    Weapons +10 (+5-6 Ranged Damage, DC 20-21)
    Machine Gun +7 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
    Initiative +2

Defenses:
    Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+5 Kevlar), Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
    Responsibilty (G.I. Joe/The U.S. Government)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 26 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 17 (126)

-Roadblock got a TON of play in both cartoon and comic, what with all the inventive things they gave the Team Strongman. The comics made him a bit of an intellectual snobbish-type, prone to egotism regarding cooking (having fallen in love with Anthony Bourdain's work, I now see this in a whole new light), but showcased him more than almost any non-ninja Joe (like when he broke free single-handedly when he, Hawk & their boss were all arrested under false suspicion, then used a CAR DOOR as a Captain America-style shield and melee weapon, then led the "resistance" when the other Joes were also rounded up). In the cartoon, he was a goofy, stereotypical "rhyming" character, but was still a heavy feature in many episodes. He was still a chef here, oddly enough, but less of a snob about it.

-Roadblock is even scarier than Gung-Ho (a fellow Powerhouse), but packs a slightly different skill-set, namely packing a HUGE Machine Gun (so large that it usually requires two other Joes just to hand it to him- it's normally a gun for a VEHICLE, and operated by TEAMS of men) with which to do grievous damage to anything he encounters. Note the unusually-low Parry. Roadblock doesn't dodge punches. He eats them. This guy took down STORM SHADOW in hand-to-hand (OK, so Arashikage sliced up Gung-Ho earlier and was unprepared for a dive-bomb... he still did it, and this series perscribed legendary magic powers to the Arashikage Clan). He's so tough he has a full-blown "Strike" Power built into him. And that GUN... a huge +9 damage (and remember, he has Power Attack), made slightly-less-inaccurate due to his capabilities with firearms (especially big ones- I just added 1 point to basic "Ranged Combat- Firearms" for it), and it'll take down nearly any man, animal or vehicle. Hell, in his first appearance, he & Duke gun down A FIGHTER JET using hand-held weapons!
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-20-2017 at 04:06 AM.

that's a great roadblock

if I were to nitpick it at all its that it isn't strong enough. guy basically hip fires a BROWNING 50 CAL. and does it accuractely these thing are desgiend for bomber turrets and vehicle mounts. theres also a great scene of him hefting an armored deck plate from the whale hovercraft to be welded and repaired with 3 local morons hanging off it as a joke. guy carries it like it was a sheet of cardboard.

Honestly Marvins got to be as strong as Quinn at least. and all Quinn used regularly was a browning 30 cal machine gun sheesh!

And the only reason I grant you I even make the argument is that he shown doing all this with ease. I mean literally no effort and no fracks given.
    Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

MCRN Admiral

Strength 4 allows him to lift 800 lbs., which is well beyond what almost any human being is capable of- given that he still does +5 damage unarmed (equaling Kwinn), I think that's enough.

MCRN Admiral

The Fridge

THE FRIDGE (William "The Refridgerator" Perry)
    Military Specialty:
    Physical Training Instructor
    Role: Scary Black Man, Team Powerhouse, Celebrity Cameo
    Group Affiliations: G.I. Joe
    PL 8 (107)
    STRENGTH
    4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 1 (+2)
    Athletics 4 (+8)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+9)
    Close Combat (Football on a Chain) 3 (+9)
    Deception 1 (+4)
    Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+4)
    Expertise (PT Instructor) 8 (+8)
    Expertise (Defensive Lineman) 8 (+12) -- Uses Strength
    Insight 2 (+4)
    Intimidation 7 (+10)
    Perception 3 (+5)
    Treatment 1 (+1)
    Vehicles 3 (+3)

Advantages:
    Benefit (G.I. Joe Team), Equipment 2, Fast Grab, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Football on a Chain), Improved Hold, Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Skill Mastery (Defensive Lineman), Teamwork, Ultimate Defensive Lineman, Withstand Damage

Equipment:
    25 points' worth of Arsenal Equipment (Football on a Chain- Strength-Damage +3, Reach)

Powers:
    "382-pound Defensive Lineman"
    Enhanced Strength 3 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) [3]
    Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 5) [6]

Offense:
    Unarmed +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
    Weapons +5 (+5-6 Ranged Damage, DC 20-21)
    Football on a Chain +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5 (+6 Kevlar), Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
    Responsibilty (G.I. Joe/The U.S. Government)
    Responsibility (The National Football League, The Chicago Bears, His Quarterback)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 17 (107)

-Everyone loved The Fridge in the 1980s. As the biggest and baddest defensive lineman in the NFL (I think- I don't watch Football), he was all over the place. He showed up on A-Team, he was in the 20-Man Battle Royal at WrestleMania 2 (he did the Hulk Hogan Bitch Elimination on Big John Studd after he'd already been eliminated, dragging the taller guy out), and here he was in the G.I. Joe line, after a deal to get Rocky Balboa (yes, THAT Rocky) on the team fell through (humorously, Balboa appears on the team's "Bio Book", but the next issues all feature disclaimers that "Rocky Balboa has never been a member of G.I. Joe"). His toy was some mail-away thing, and it was OK, if a bit goofy. But it's just SO "80s" to put a real-life figure into an action figure line, with a silly weapon based off of his job (A Football on a Chain). Ya gotta love it.

-The Fridge is a PL 8 powerhouse, but a bit less of a soldier than the other Joes. He's really at his best when he's standing there, eating damage and Interposing, then overrunning people. And can he EVER overrun -- he's got the equivalent of the old Immovable power, in addition to Impervious Toughness. And he's PL 8 with his Football on a Chain, PL 7 defensively. And his Dodge is pretty low for a Joe-type because, let's face it, a 382-lb. main ain't gonna be doing a lot of dodging.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-20-2017 at 04:09 AM.

In honor of the GI Joe builds, I give you, Rap Viper by Wordburgler. Check out the entire Welcome to Cobra Island album, it is amazing.

If you like GI Joe, the album is an amazing love letter.
    Last edited by proditor; 10-01-2015 at 01:21 PM.

MCRN Admiral

Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow: "Punishment and revenge simply continue the cycle of of ignorance and violence that created the problem in the first place. We, of all people, must abhor violence in all it's forms..."
    Billy: "How can you say that? We're martial artists and warriors!"
    Storm Shadow: "The only logical and rational purpose for mastering a martial art is to become non-violent. If we deny that violence is inherent to the universe, we surrender to it... we must instead strive to master it, and put it aside. We take no joy in it. We must love the goal, not the means.
    Doesn't the warrior face the same paradox? Does the Doctor love the disease? Does the pious man love the sin? Nobody hates war as much as the warrior, for he has seen the ugly face of it. But in the end... he fights."
    Billy: "Then no matter what we do, we're wrong?"
    Storm Shadow: "Absolutely. We are always in the wrong. Politicians and lawyers spend all their time apportioning out the blame, being careful to avoid any themselves... We are guilty. We are guilty in believing in something as obsolete, forgotten and despised as... honor."

STORM SHADOW (Thomas S. Arashikage)
    Military Specialty:
    Ninja
    Role: Mirror Image Villain (to Snake-Eyes), Spotlight Stealer, The Ninja
    Group Affiliations: Cobra, G.I. Joe, The Ninjas
    PL 9 (171)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
    FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
    Acrobatics 8 (+14)
    Athletics 7 (+10)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
    Deception 7 (+8)
    Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+9)
    Expertise (Ninja) 10 (+13)
    Insight 5 (+9)
    Intimidation 7 (+8)
    Investigation 4 (+8)
    Perception 10 (+14)
    Ranged Combat (Bow) 2 (+14)
    Stealth 7 (+13)
    Technology 2 (+5)
    Treatment 2 (+5)
    Vehicles 5 (+7)

Advantages:
    Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 6, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 3 (Unarmed, Sword, Bow & Arrow), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Languages (Many Southeast Asian Languages), Luck, Precise Attack 2 (Close/Concealment, Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 10, Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery 2 (Ninja, Stealth), Tracking, Ultimate Ninja

Equipment:
    25 points' worth of Arsenal Equipment (Usually Sword +3- Improved Critical, Bow & Arrow- Blast 4, Shuriken- Blast 3- Multiattack)

Offense:
    Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Sword +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
    Weapons +12 (+5-6 Ranged Damage, DC 20-21)
    Bow & Arrow +14 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
    Initiative +10

Defenses:
    Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4 (+5 Kevlar), Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
    Responsibility (G.I. Joe/Cobra)
    Responsibility (Honor)- Storm Shadow values honor above all else, and hates it when he feels compromised.
    Motivation (Discovering The Cause of the Hard Master's Death)- This caused Tommy to follow Cobra Commander, sacrificing his personal honor for the answer.
    Enemy/Rival/Relationship (Snake-Eyes)- The two were Sword Brothers in Vietnam, and the best of friends. When Snake-Eyes thought Storm Shadow eliminated their master out of jealousy for Snake-Eyes' achievements, they became enemies. Later, they made up when the truth was revealed (it was Zartan).
    Rivalry (Spirit, Quick Kick)- Storm Shadow had an issue with the former, then the latter, in the cartoon series.
    Enemy (Zartan)- In the comics, Zartan is responsible for the death of the Hard Master, Storm Shadow's uncle. The two men are now blood enemies.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 82--41 / Advantages: 43 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (171)

-Storm Shadow is Snake-Eyes' eternal rival, and nearly everything to come after the comic has reverted them to adversaries (they eventually made nice in Hama's book, but became enemies in the IDW continuity again). A Japanese-American, he allied with Snake in Vietnam, and brought him into his Ninja Clan, where the American soon outpaced him. Eventually, he saw his master die, and became devoted to hunting down the killer- Cobra Commander offered him a deal: be Cobra's own personal assassin (and thus sacrifice his honor), and Cobra would tell him the killer's name. Eventually, he'd find out that Cobra Commander ORDERED the death in the first place (but Snake was the intended target- not the ninjas' mentor).

-After he turns good, Storm Shadow becomes one of the most-philosophical characters in the canon, taking Cobra Commander's son Billy under his wing to teach him the philosophy of warriors, giving us some of the series' best quotes. He & Stalker ally frequently (as Snake-Eyes is prone to wandering off by himself), and though many Joes don't trust him overly-much (he DID try to kill them), he's pretty hardcore.

-Storm Shadow was equally as cool as Snake-Eyes in the minds of many kids- the White Ninja to Snake-Eyes' Black, he was all dressed-up like the video game character Shinobi, and he looked bad-ass as all hell (seriously- that outfit is SHARP). His cartoon self was similarly-awesome (he once slashed up a tank with his sword, then casually tapped it to make the ENTIRE THING crumble to pieces!), but was a rival of the more-talkative Quick Kick instead. His voice acting was pretty bad, though, as he talked in this weird Japanese accent that would slowly raise in volume with each word he said.

-Storm Shadow is worse than Snake-Eyes at most things (it's part of their backstory, after all), but is superior at archery. He's still more elite than almost any other character, though. Hell, in one issue, he sneaks into The Pit, casually KO's both Stalker AND Barbeque simultaneously with a double-kick, grabs a pair of Crossbow Bolts out of mid-air, then uses them to duel Quick Kick, a "Martial Arts"-focused Joe... and wins. EASILY. He straight-up embarrasses QK and wipes him out! Storm Shadow is a pretty clear #2 Bad-Ass in the universe of G.I. Joe.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-20-2017 at 04:09 AM.

OPA Belta

Re: Kwinn

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    we never got the huge Eskimo/Inuit or the Mad Doctor in the cartoon, or at least cool action figures.
    Hope this is a good disagreement.

Two Kwinns (2004 and 2013), though 'cool is a questionable word.

Doctor Venom (2010)

Doctor Venom

That bit with the tank was actually even more impressive than that.

The Dreadnoks and Storm Shadow were basically showing Cobra newbies the ropes (why anyone would let the DREADNOKS teach a class is beyond me), and during Storm Shadow's training on balance and meditation, one of the students falls and complains that it's impossible. The Dreadnoks come in and say they'll show the students what real power is, and demonstrate that their weapons are capable of destroying a tank.

The students clap, but then Storm Shadow simply says, "Anyone can wield a weapon. A ninja IS a weapon". He then proceeds to jump at the tank, flipping around it, punching and kicking it, before flipping away, landing and bowing before walking away. Ripper snorts and says "That wasn't so hot" and taps the tank. The tank promptly falls to pieces. The students all bow to Storm Shadow and follow him to resume their training.

Storm Shadow destroyed a tank . . . with his bare hands and feet.