Page 791 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 2916917417817897907917927938018418911291 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,910 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Jar Jar Binks

JAR JAR BINKS
    Role:
    The Most-Hated Character in History, Comic Relief, Bumbling Sidekick
    Group Affiliations: The Gungans, The Galactic Senate
    PL 5 (45)
    STRENGTH
    1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
    FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
    Acrobatics 3 (+5)
    Athletics 4 (+5)
    Expertise (Politics) 6 (+6)
    Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
    Perception 4 (+4)
    Stealth 3 (+5)

Advantages:
    Evasion

Powers:
    "Gungan Physiology"
    Swimming 4 (8 mph) [4]
    Immunity 2 (Drowning, Pressure) [2]

"Clumsy Field of Destruction" Damage 5 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Descriptor) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [7]

Offense:
    Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
    Clumsy Field +5 Area (+5 Damage, DC 20)
    Initiative +2

Defenses:
    Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
    Reputation (Buffoon)- Jar Jar tends to screw up, break things, trip over himself, and make fun of others in an obvious way. Few can tolerate him for very long.
    Responsibility (Peace on Naboo)- Jar Jar, for all his faults, is focused on peace between the peoples of Naboo.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 4 (45)

-I think it's pretty safe to say that Jar Jar Binks is the most universally-despised character in the history of Pop Culture- imagine if the hate for Spider-Man's Clone Saga was extended to absolutely every person on Earth, and focused towards THIS guy. THAT's how hated this guy is- he's the Clone Saga of movie characters. While fandoms will always hate certain particular characters (Scrappy-Doo is a good example), none of that extends to the mainstream quite like this weird, quasi-ethnic Gungan. People got their swords out for him pretty much immediately- he had a silly name and was obviously meant to be the Pratfalling Comic Relief, which adults tend to find more tiresome than do children (who were Jar Jar's target audience). And it's too bad- the Star Wars movies got as big as they did in PART because of the young fans that loved them, and it's not like the films haven't always had comic relief in the forms of C-3PO, Chewbacca & Ewoks (who, like Jar Jar, were there for the kids). But Jar Jar? Jar Jar is the perfect example of how NOT to do it.

-Jar Jar, also created to showcase the power of CGI as the only 100% CGI major character in a Hollywood production, made a nuisance of himself immediately, and exists as living proof that George Lucas had lost touch with people. See, he wasn't just Comic Relief- a guy who occasionally gets a pratfall or says something funny- he is literally 100% JOKE, and every time he's on-screen, he's doing something buffoonish. He breaks stuff, sticks his head into electrical fields, trips and falls, and speaks in a ludicrous accent that sounds like a racial caricature of Caribbean black people, and acts like something out of a minstrel show from the '20s (something that would have been easier to blow off if the SAME MOVIE hadn't also given us a Space Jew and two Space Asians). And you CAN'T GET AWAY FROM HIM in the movie! He's just all over the place, screwing up, sticking his tongue out at characters, and being an idiot. Even the people who hated the Ewoks only have to put up with them for like twenty minutes.

-Jar Jar bombed HARD, and was easily the most-hated part of Episode I- maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if this hadn't been the first real Star Wars movie since ROTJ came out in the early '80s. But to have ALL that hype, ALL that importance, and ALL that attention... and then to reveal THIS dipshit? Fans freaked the hell out, and "Jar Jar Sucks!" became a worldwide cry- he became the most-hated part of a movie that also featured Young Anakin "YIPPIEEEEE!" Skywalker as a major character. Lucas himself just completely couldn't figure out what was going on, acting like people wanted everyone to be The Terminator and that they hated childlike things (even saying that the movies were always MEANT for children), but South Park made a pretty good argument- nobody likes something that is 100% pratfalls & goofy speech patterns. It's irritating, especially when important stuff is going on- Shakespeare knew to shuffle these guys out of scene before things got too serious (it's why in Frozen both Sven & Olaf disappear right when Anna's about to freeze solid). This was something that only a 3-year old could enjoy, and here he was mucking up this movie that everyone had been waiting for for YEARS.

-Lucas, to his credit, didn't make TOO much of a stink, and instead buried the character (lesser creators have responded by pushing hated characters HARDER, often having other characters voice these characters' qualities). He's only in a tiny bit of the remaining two Prequels, and he's also responsible for some of the rise of the Empire, so he "gets his" in a metafictional sense.

-Jar Jar Binks is pretty useless (he only beats some Combat Droids by accident), and is a giant coward, but has a sturdy-ish Gungan physiology.

Re: Jab's Builds!

Quote Originally Posted by catsi563 View Post
    I'm sorry I completely disagree with the whole abducted from their parents, that's a nonsensical and extremist statement that keeps getting flung about as if the jedi were some waffen SS secret police that kicked doors down in the middle of the night and yanked squalling infants from their mothers arms at lightsaber point.

The jedi would be well aware of the dangers both to their selves and to their community, of an untrained force user and like Professor Xavier would take steps as soon as one was located to reach out to the parents if any of such a child, and or to the child themselves if guardians didn't exist. they would then explain themselves and what they were there, giving the parents or guardians the choice, a choice that was usualy very easy as the Jedi were considered the guardians of the galaxy and thusly highly trustworthy.

If youw ant SS style child abductions youre talking about the empire post Palpatine and order 66 where any force user that was found was given 2 basic choices, serve the empire or die period end of statement.

The absolutely ridiculous notion of the jedi stealing children is something I expect to hear from the Sith Empire of the Star Wars the Old republic game, where the Jedi are used as boogeymen to scare naughty imperial children into behaving.
    I dont think it got sinister every time. They did offer incentives to everyone involved, and when a child was chosen for the order, the families were generally well looked after in the Agricorps. Anakins case was a standout, since slavery wasnt illegal in the outer rim worlds. Should have also meant the Jedi could do whatever they wanted since that would also fall into the category of also not illegal. But they are the good guys.
    Character List
    Armstrong - What If? Spider Corps.

Vista - Wild, Wild Delta Quadrant Transformers Game set near the beginning of the Third Cybertronian War.

I loved Man of Steel! Recently watched Age of Ultron, kinda better than The Avengers. I think Vision made that movie.

MCRN Admiral

Also, this needs to be brought up, though I know I've linked to it before: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpRE

I actually have to give Lucas credit, when he realized how disliked Jar Jar was, he dialed down his appearance in Attack of the Clones and gave him only a bit part in Revenge of the Sith. In fact, if what he did later with Jar Jar had been intentional, it would have been brilliant: "I'll make a character everyone despises, and then make HIM responsible for Palpatine's rise to power! That way no one will complain about how it was done."

I may be a minority, but I actually felt sorry for Jar Jar in Attack of the Clones. He got played, plain and simple.

I'm gonna say it. I almost don't hate Jar Jar or Episode 1.

Episode one is at least competent stacked against other movies made for kids. it's not GOOD, but many of those are FAAAAR worse, with characters more annoying than Jar Jar.

In fact, the racial charactures are the only thing I can't stand for in it or him.

They only get the hate they do because everyone had been waiting for them, and the original trilogy had been much better movies aimed at a family audience, something for everyone to enjoy, and people expected the same. heck, you could argue that the original was flat out a kids movie, that took off outside that audience due to no one having seen anything like it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post

Star Wars- Rebels (cartoon series):
    * The Inquisitor starts off better than either Kanan or Ezra.
    Worth noting Kanan isn't a full Jedi. He was a Padawan during Order 66, it's implied in the show, but, I think, only stated in his origin mini. There's implication that training Ezra is forcing him to develop skills and learn things he knows can be done, just to teach the kid.

* DARTH VADER faces off against The Rebels, absolutely handing them their asses. Casually tosses off huge chunks of scenery, Force Tosses the Jedi around, and deflects Mandalorian Chick's lasers right back at her. Essentially treated like Godzilla attacking Tokyo.
    They barely slowed him down by dropping an AT-ST on him at that. Dude pulls the kind of space battles you usually don't see outside of video games, literally soloing cruisers in a TIE Advanced.

I give the show that if nothing else, it portrays Vader as the beast he should be, but the movies really couldn't due to limitations of the time and focus of the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuzritter View Post
    to be fair, it was written by Peter David, and was probably meant to come across as a tongue in cheeks spoof of the EU's habit of "Oh this background character in the movies has such a long and important backstory and the one thing they did in their three seconds of screentime shaped the entire saga", with references to leia's hairstyle and crappy cgi dewback mounts
    His name is "Skippy the Jedi droid" so odds are good.

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    And I thought I already knew about the most stupid things in the EU...
    Read about Tag and Bink some time. They are AMAZING.
    Last edited by Yeoman; 09-06-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Yeah, I saw Vader's appear on Rebels as well, and if I ever run a Star Wars game set in that area, I'm going to show that clip to my PCs and say, "That is what fighting Vader looks like if you aren't Luke Skywalker. Any questions?"

MCRN Admiral

Chewbacca

WHAT A WOOKIEE!!!

CHEWBACCA
    Role:
    Comic Relief, Co-Pilot
    Group Affiliations: The Rebel Alliance, The Wookiee Race
    PL 9 (136)
    STRENGTH
    6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:*
    Athletics 4 (+10)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+12)
    Expertise (Galactic Mercenary) 8 (+11)
    Insight 2 (+4)
    Intimidation 8 (+8)
    Perception 5 (+7)
    Technology 6 (+9)
    Vehicles 12 (+12)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment 3 (Crossbow Blaster +6), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Blasters), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 12, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
    "Wookiee Physiology"
    Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Jungle Worlds) [2]

Offense:
    Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
    Crossbow Thingie +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
    Initiative +7

Defenses:
    Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +11 (DC 11), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
    Relationship (Han Solo)- Chewbacca owes his life to the scruffy scoundrel, though is known to voice his displeasure to Han quite often.
    Disabled (Semi-Mute)- Only people who understand his growls can comprehend what Chewbacca is saying.
    Temper- Wookiees are famously-temperamental, and Chewie is no exception- he'll even freak out of he loses "Space Chess".
    Relationship (Family)- Chewie's wife Mallatobuk and son Lumpawarrump are important to him. And actually in-continuity, despite being introduced in the odious Holiday Special.
    Responsibility (Honor)- Wookiees are forbidden from using their claws in combat.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 36 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 20 (140)

-Chewbacca is one of the weirder parts of the Original Trilogy, when you think about it- how many movies in that era had a Sidekick Character that incoherently-growled every bit of dialogue? Especially one that was in so MUCH of the film? Here was this giant fuzzy monster sitting besides the movie's main heroes, roaring all the time, but also doing TECHNICAL WORK. Then he starts firing lasers with his Energy Crossbow- no wonder the actors were always going "WTF?" during the entire production. But really, he's ideal- a big ship like the Millennium Falcon would need more than one guy to operate it, but they already HAD a bunch of characters. So how about one who COULDN'T TALK, thus giving us a totally-unique character who's also a study in contrasts (looks like a monster/good with mechanics), but wouldn't crowd up things with too much dialogue or exposition. His "ARRARGGWGERARWWERWEWRERW!!!" growls are now an iconic, irreplaceable part of Pop Culture, and part of what makes the Star Wars franchise so fun. He was a bit silly and goofy without going "Full Jar Jar".

-Lucas based Chewie off of the image of his dog Indiana (who inspired another Lucas character) sitting in the driver's seat of his car- getting the idea of this silent, hairy co-pilot. Peter Mayhew, a 7'3" actor, was chosen for the big fuzzy costume, which allowed the silly character a measure of dignity- if he was small, he'd be intolerable. But at more than seven feet tall, now he was a MONSTER- you HAD to take him seriously. He's basically just a "Sidekick" in the films, rarely mattering much to the plot besides being another warm body- his backstory is that he allied with Han Solo when Solo, then an Imperial trooper, refused an order to kill him. Some of the funnier moments involve Chewie making some vocalization, and Han responding like he'd just spoken perfect Basic ("Quit complaining!"). He's even popular enough that his death in some random EU novel became BIG NEWS, leading to upset fans who've never read one of the novels in their lives.

-Being fast and overwhelmingly-strong, Chewbacca is one of the most-dangerous members of the Main Party in melee- he will easily take out a whole group of Stormtroopers, faster than anyone but Luke. His Advantages are completely-different from everyone else, being keyed towards startling bad guys, grappling them and tearing them to pieces... AND he's a great shot!
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 09-07-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Re: Chewbacca

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Responsibility (Honor)- Wookiees are forbidden from using their claws in combat.
    Star Wars has few little bits of Lore I absolute love, and this is one of my favorites. Wookies are this huge monstrous looking race, they have claws, and they refuse to use them for purely cultural reasons. It's like biting someone in a fight, at best it's seen as desperation, and more likely a sign of being mentally unbalanced.

He's even popular enough that his death in some random EU novel became BIG NEWS, leading to upset fans who've never read one of the novels in their lives.
    I admit, I didn't read that one, as I'm real picky about the novels I read, I love Star Wars and I've read less than a dozen of the novels. And Zahn accounts of the vast majority of those. And while I'm not a huge fan of killing Chewie... dude went out on top of a mountain of corpses screaming defiance as a moon fell on him. That is hard core.