Page 761 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 2616617117517597607617627637718118611261 ... LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,610 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

Re: Jab's Builds!

Sounds really left field considering all the nonsense in the first season.

To be fair this could have been a really interesting thing, but in reading about it and what I remember of the first season... It sounds an awful lot like the writers just never knew what to do with her, thought it was cool to have Korra have a friend who happened to be a girl and then somebody made the girlfriend joke and... bam.
    Having her, or Korra, being lesbian isn't my problem. It's just that if they wanted to go that way they should have been doing that from day one, and it should have been an important part of the story all the way through. It seems like a giant missed opportunity for some great build up and story telling.

Which seems to be the reoccurring problem with the series. If they had built up the story, the main characters, their relationships and their villains I think this show could have been amazing.
    Imagine an Amon as reoccurring nightmare fuel over four seasons... and well, hopefully a better reveal. Maybe as being that darkness spirit thingy trying to remove bending from the world.

Of course I was kind of rooting for Bolin and "Mrs. Jabroniville" hooking up, so I'm a dirty filthy shipper who should be burned and otherwise ignored ;~)

OPA Belta

Well, technically speaking, Korra and Asami aren't lesbians, they're Bisexual.

Anyways, as far as the build up goes I wonder how much they were actually allowed to show on TV. How much would the censors let them show or imply. Honestly, the snippets of what could be a relationship we got between Korra and Asami were way better than the meandering quagmire that was the whole Mako debacle.

And whether it was out of left field or not, Legend of Korra's ending blew open some doors for Western Animation. Just ask Steven Universe. I don't think they would have let SU go as far as it goes on a regular basis, if Korra hadn't ended the way it did.
    Urge to Stat Rising: My blog where I post write ups for monsters for the Pathfinder system.

OPA Belta

Early in the series, back when I still cared for it - late Book One, I think - someone asked me what I thought of the pairing options for Korra. I replied that none of the current male characters seemed to work well with her, and that the only character I saw any potential for long-term chemistry with was Asami.

Somewhere out there, in this wide and verdant Internet, there is documented proof that I called the end pairing for Legend of Korra years in advance.

Asami is amazing, though. One of my top Fictional Character Crushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Early in the series, back when I still cared for it - late Book One, I think - someone asked me what I thought of the pairing options for Korra. I replied that none of the current male characters seemed to work well with her, and that the only character I saw any potential for long-term chemistry with was Asami.

Somewhere out there, in this wide and verdant Internet, there is documented proof that I called the end pairing for Legend of Korra years in advance.

Asami is amazing, though. One of my top Fictional Character Crushes.
    I thought everyone thought she was the only character Korra had chemistry with, Just everyone assumed it would never happen.

Anyhow, there is lead up. They outright said it wasn't intentional until season 3, and that mostly because, well, she was the only person Korra had chemistry with. But that lead up is subtle and could merely represent two characters that are very good friends and only shippers would assume they were together. On the other hand, if Asami had been a man? Everyone would assume they were being set up together.

Anyhow, I don't think it's a good ending. Because as the final shot of the series, their relationship was never a big thing, like Aang and Katara's was. And, well, Korra didn't have enough of a personal journey for the final moment to focus on her love life. I'm glad it exists, it's important, but it's not a good ending for that series in particular.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    I thought everyone thought she was the only character Korra had chemistry with, Just everyone assumed it would never happen.

Anyhow, there is lead up. They outright said it wasn't intentional until season 3, and that mostly because, well, she was the only person Korra had chemistry with. But that lead up is subtle and could merely represent two characters that are very good friends and only shippers would assume they were together. On the other hand, if Asami had been a man? Everyone would assume they were being set up together.

Anyhow, I don't think it's a good ending. Because as the final shot of the series, their relationship was never a big thing, like Aang and Katara's was. And, well, Korra didn't have enough of a personal journey for the final moment to focus on her love life. I'm glad it exists, it's important, but it's not a good ending for that series in particular.
    Totally agree with you on the hints and subtext. They were there, intentional or not, so for me it was more surprising than anything that they actually went for it rather than just leave it entirely unspoken.

I was okay with the ending being what it was because it's about the first time that they added something to Korra that didn't have anything to do with her being the Avatar. That was sort of the ongoing issue through the entire series for her. From being a child the main and ONLY thing that she ever built her identity around was being the Avatar. Time and again the worst thing that the writers can think to do to her is to take being the Avatar away from her.

-End of season 1 she loses most of her powers to Amon and can't be the Avatar anymore (apparently.)
    -End of season 2 she loses her Avatar-ness again and her access to the Avatars of the past, severely weakening her and all other Avatars after her.
    -End of season 3 she gets cripplingly poisoned and can't be the Avatar anymore till she recovers.
    -Most of season 4 she's severely weakened, is apparently not recovering, is not taken seriously as the Avatar anymore.

Over and over again Korra's confronted with the question of "what are you if you aren't the Avatar?" and she has no answer.

MCRN Admiral

General Iroh

GENERAL IROH
    Role:
    Legacy Character (to Zuko & Iroh), The Cavalry, Useless Military Figure (later)
    Voice Actor: Dante Basco
    Finest Moment: Became a "Flying Ace" (a pilot who shoots down five enemy planes) on his very first day flying one.
    PL 9 (149)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
    FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 4 (+10)
    Athletics 10 (+12)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
    Deception 2 (+5)
    Expertise (Military) 7 (+9)
    Insight 2 (+5)
    Intimidation 2 (+5)
    Perception 4 (+7)
    Vehicles 5 (+9)

Advantages:
    Accurate Attack, Benefit 2 (General), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Firebending), Improved Defense, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Ultimate Vehicles Skill

Powers:
    "Firebending Master"
    "Lightning" Blast 10 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Inaccurate -1, Activation) (24) -- [32]
    • AE: "Bending Blast" Blast 8 (Feats: Penetrating 4, Split) (21)
    • AE: "Repeating Blast" Blast 6 (Feats: Accurate) (Extras: Multiattack) (19)
    • AE: "Firebending" Move Object 8 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Fire- Use Volume instead of Mass) (17)
    • AE: "Redirect Lightning" Deflect 10 (Extras: Reflect) (Flaws: Limited to Lightning) (10)
    • AE: "Fire Wave" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) (13.5)
    • AE: "Fire Bolt" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (18)
    • AE: "Fire Burst" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (18)
    • AE: "Fire Leap" Leaping 2 (30 feet) & Flight 4 (60 mph) (Flaws: Gliding) (6)

Offense:
    Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Fire Blast +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
    Multiattack +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
    Area Fire +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
    Lightning +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
    Initiative +6

Defenses:
    Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
    Responsibility (Republic City)- As General of the United Forces, Iroh is devoted to the defense of Republic City.
    Relationship (Fire Lord Izumi, Lord Zuko)- Presumably he's close with both of them, even though WE NEVER SEE THEM INTERACT.
    Power Loss (Bending)- All Bending requires the use of bodily-movements and forms. If a Bender's body is restrained in any manner, their Bending will be badly-hampered. Full entrapment will neutralize all Bending.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 15 (149)

-Few Avatar characters drew as much exictement in their debut as much as General Iroh did. Hell, he had the Perfect Storm of stuff going for him to excite the fans- he was a Legacy Character (the grandson of Prince Zuko himself), named after the beloved Uncle Iroh character, and was voiced by Dante Basco, the VA for Zuko! Never mind that his first appearance was proudly accepting the plea for assistance, leading an ENTIRE FLEET of ships towards Republic City, to face down the Equalist Crisis. Fans went nuts IMMEDIATELY- one of the best debuts ever.

-Which makes it all the more sad that he never ended up being that important. In fact, three different Seasons have gone out of their way to make his entire Fleet a failure that can't get anything accomplished- in Book One, his entire fleet is decimated by the Equalists, in Book Two he has his nuts cut off by President Raiko when he suggests coming to the Southern Water Tribe's aid under the false pretense of being on a "training mission" (Raiko hears about the plan and forces the fleet to stay in Republic City rather than get involved in a Civil War), and in Book Four his fleet is wiped out AGAIN, this time by Kuvira's super-weapon. So TWICE he loses his whole fleet- sure it's by circumstances beyond his control (in both cases, the enemy has brand-new unexpected firepower against which Battleships have no chance), but still.

-That said, he does AWESOME in Book One- when the enemy reveals BIPLANES as their method of attack, he stands on the top of his ship and starts SHOOTING THEM DOWN with Firebending, and later on, engages in a pitched DOGFIGHT with dozens of enemy fighters, shooting down several with Bending, and then commandeering two aircraft of his own and FLYING BETWEEN THEM with his own Bending power. He even gets a cool moment, smashing the "Amon" mask placed over the statue of Aang in Republic City.

-Iroh had a pretty stoic, non-dynamic personality, but came off well enough. He was honorable, competent, and humble despite his status as a member of the Royal Family of the Fire Nation. But unfortunately, he never really mattered to the plot after the end of the Amon Story, so we never saw anything from him. He never even interacts with his mother, NOR Zuko himself! Just unacceptably wasting a perfectly good story.

-Determining General Iroh's PL is a bit tricky, as he never fights any named characters- he's basically a Goonsweeper who takes down tons of enemy soldiers, but not even someone on the Lieutenant's level. His feats and battle tactics are amazing, though- shooting Lightning at enemy biplanes, flying through the air using Firebending, and becoming a Flying Ace on his VERY FIRST DAY. I figure PL 9 will do for him. Just a pity he never got to prove his military acumen (losing his entire fleet on TWO SEPARATE OCCASIONS will do that to a guy).
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 08-16-2017 at 03:52 AM.

OPA Belta

Well, being pretty much an anti-fan of anime'/manga, I can't really say I've got anything more than a passing familiarity with any of the Avatar stuff, but the concept of being defined by your job is a near universal struggle that bridges cultures and history. That being said, even a good idea can be beaten to death*.

*Learn this lesson Grant Morrison!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    I liked the LoK ending more than 'Last Airbender', because there it seemed almost like Katara was a prize that Aang had finally won. Maybe it's just because the 'Last Airbender' characters are relatively young, but I always had the impression that their relationship was very one-sided; Aang very obviously had a crush on Katara, but she didn't return those feelings, instead being attracted to characters closer to her own age. I thought it would have been a great sign of Aang maturing if he realized that she wasn't that into him and being cool about it. When they finally kissed at the end, it seemed very out of character for Katara.

By contrast, I thought there was a vibe between Korra and Asami starting around the time Asami took the rest of Team Avatar driving around the closed track. Maybe it's just because the characters immediately had much more chemistry together than Mako had with...anyone. Ever.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Horsenhero View Post
    Well, being pretty much an anti-fan of anime'/manga, I can't really say I've got anything more than a passing familiarity with any of the Avatar stuff, but the concept of being defined by your job is a near universal struggle that bridges cultures and history. That being said, even a good idea can be beaten to death*.

*Learn this lesson Grant Morrison!
    It's actually not Japanese, so it's not what you're thinking of when you say "anime." It is 100% an American show. You are not the first, nor will you be the last to think that it's Japanese though, as it has an art style that is very much anime looking and it's all about Asian mythology.

MCRN Admiral

I felt that Aang/Katara was very much treated like an "Aang is super-young and has a childlike crush on Katara" at first, but as Book Three moved on, you could see her shift a bit. It helps that it wasn't constantly brought up- a few episodes featured it as a major theme, with a few more bringing it up as a minor one.

And Katara's protectiveness of Aang is another case that it wasn't ALL one-sided, especially since Aang matured greatly as time went on, essentially proving himself. Hell, Katara threatened to MURDER Zuko if he betrayed Aang again!

Though I'm not really a "Kataang" Shipper- I felt it to be a minor part of the show, and was often handled a bit clumsily and treated like an afterthought. Certainly not one of TV's great romances. Definitely better than "Zutara" (which only has a foundation in the awful "Jerk who does one nice thing" effect that immature girls fall for), or the clumsy LoK Relationships early on, though.