Page 759 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 2596597097497577587597607617698098591259 ... LastLast
Results 7,581 to 7,590 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Amon

Tarrlok: Amon!
    Amon: It is time for you to be equalized.
    Tarrlok: You fool! You've never faced bending like mine.
    [tries to bloodbend Amon, without success]
    Tarrlok: What? What are you?
    Amon: I am the solution.
    [grabs him and takes his bending away]

AMON (aka Noatak)
    Role:
    The Big Bad, Terrorist Cult Leader
    Voice Actor: Lance Henriksen
    Finest Moment: Effortlessly removed the bending of hundreds of people, and took over all of Republic City with a small army of NON-POWERED people.
    PL 11 (318)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 6
    FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 4
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
    Acrobatics 9 (+15)
    Athletics 10 (+13)
    Deception 9 (+14)
    Expertise (Cult Leader & Terrorist) 12 (+14)
    Expertise (Oratory) 8 (+13)
    Insight 8 (+13)
    Intimidation 9 (+14)
    Investigation 1 (+6)
    Perception 7 (+12)
    Persuasion 9 (+14)
    Ranged Combat (Water) 4 (+13)
    Sleight of Hand 2 (+6)
    Stealth 8 (+14)

Advantages:
    Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit 4 (Cult Leader), Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Evasion 2, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Waterbending), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Leadership, Luck, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Seize Initiative, Startle, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
    "Waterbending Master"
    "Bloodbending" Affliction 11 (Strength; Dazed & Hindered/Compelled & Stunned/Controlled) (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Selective, Extra Condition) Linked to Linked to Move Object 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Living Creatures) Linked to Damage 5 (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Penetrating) (73) -- [81]
    • AE: "Ice Bonds" Affliction 8 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Ranged) (32)
    • AE: "Water/Ice Whip" Blast 8 (Feats: Precise, Variable- Blunt or Piercing) (Extras: Knockback) (26)
    • AE: "Waterbending" Move Object 10 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Water) (21)
    • AE: "Water Stream" Damage 10 (Feats: Variable- Blunt or Piercing) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (19)
    • AE: "Water Wave" Damage 10 (Feats: Variable- Blunt or Piercing) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (19)
    • AE: "Water to Ice" Transform 8 (Feats: Reversible) (17)
    • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 9 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (18)
    • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 9 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (18)

"Casual Bloodbending" Affliction 6 (Strength; Impaired/Disabled) (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Sustained +2, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited Degree) [20]
    "Resist Bloodbending" Immunity 2 (Bloodbending) (Flaws: Distracting) [1]
    "Remove the Impurity" Affliction 14 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Feats: Incurable) (Extras: Continuous +3) (Flaws: Requires Helpless Opponent) [43]

Offense:
    Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Water/Ice Whip +13 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
    Ice Bonds +13 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
    Area Attacks +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
    Ice Slicks +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
    Bloodbending +11 Area (+11 Affliction, DC 21)
    Casual Bloodbending +13 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
    Remove the Impurity xx (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
    Initiative +14

Defenses:
    Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +5 (+7 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
    Motivation (Destroying Bending)- Amon grew up under the cruel lordship of a father that forced him to learn Bloodbending. Feeling that this was evil, the boy grew up thinking that ALL Bending was evil, and decided to remove it from the world.
    Secret (Actually a Waterbender)- If his followers discover that Amon is actually "Noatak", a Water Tribe Bender, then his moral high ground will be destroyed.
    Power Loss (Remove the Impurity)- Amon can only remove the powers he's AWARE of- if he doesn't know you're a Bender of a certain element, he can't remove it.
    Power Loss (The Elements)- Waterbending requires actual water to be present- this is usually not a problem (most towns are close to water sources), but they can be locked inside of cells with no regular access. Most Waterbenders carry water in small pouches with them- however, this small amount will not allow for large damage or Area Effects- most attacks are limited to +4 Damage. More advanced Benders may utilize their own sweat or breath vapor for small effects.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 86--43 / Advantages: 29 / Powers: 145 / Defenses: 13 (318)

-One of the best parts of The Legend of Korra were the villains- while the original series had the awesome World-Destroyer Ozai, and the Psychotic People-Person Azula (and the Semi-Sympathetic Zuko, who later turned good), and that's great, LoK gave us some INSANELY-dangerous baddies who can easily stand alongside the original's. Note: Amon- the mysterious, masked figure behind Republic City's "Equalist Movement". His Mission: To remove the "impurity" of Bending from the world. He claims he's been given mystical powers by spirits, in order to de-power every single Bender in existence. Using the public's anti-bending sentiment as fuel, and his great speech-making and cult of personality as the spark, he proves to be a REAL danger, with his followers ready to spread to every form of power in Republic City, soon taking control of everything.

-Amon is a great study in the power of a Masked Villain- a non-emotive, never-changing face can be a real source of terror. It gives the impression of a villain who cannot be reasoned with- an inhuman force of destruction. It's made worse by the fact that he has REAL EYES, meaning he's ALSO got that cold stare down pat. It can be a tricky thing to pull off in a moving visual medium- characters tend to look like Power Rangers when they try to emote- but Amon works because he never HAS to emote: Even his VOICE doesn't betray any hint of passion.

-Amon possesses the horrifying power to remove someone's Bending, and uses this over the course of the series- he starts off with the obvious public menaces like Crime Bosses (Lightning Bolt Zolt, etc.) in order to get the public on his side. He even makes a public spectacle during a terrorist event, de-powering some asshole "Pro-Bender" athletes. But when the Metalbending Police Force goes against him, he manages to demonize THEM, and soon even the COPS are his victims. He even plans to depower the only Airbenders in existence (Tenzin and his family), and by the end of the season, he gets both LIN BEIFONG, and The Avatar herself!

-However, after an elaborate backstory by his evil brother Tarrlok, we discover that Amon was actually a Waterbender named Noatak, having been trained by Yakonne, an old enemy of Aang's (Korra gets the connection after getting some "Flashbacks" of Aang's memories)- the entire family proves to be skilled at Bloodbending, and MUCH moreso than Katara ever was! Both Tonraq and Amon are capable of Bloodbending ANY TIME THEY WANT (in the original series, both Katara & Hana are only capable of doing so during a Full Moon), and AMON is able to alter people's body chemistry to the point where he can cause people horrible pain, throw them about at-will, and remove their Bending permanently. Korra fights him sans-bending, he's forced to hurt his Lieutenant (who uncovers his secret by... well, by seeing him Bloodbend), and Mako zaps him with Lightning at close range- at which point Korra Ass-Pulls the ability to use AIRBENDING from nowhere (well, she'd been training in it, but had yet to utilize it). As Amon hadn't de-powered THAT, she can still fight. He ends up needing Waterbending to get out of danger, which results in the PUBLIC seeing him do so (and his fake "Firebender-related scars" wash off at the same time), so he's exposed as a fraud.

-In the end, Amon is taken away by his brother Tonraq, ready to start again and NOT be so evil, but Tonraq decides to repent for their mutual sins, and deliberately causes an explosion that kills them both.

-Amon is a serious, SERIOUS threat, fighting at PL 10.5 as a Waterbender, but being *PL 11* as a Bloodbender, able to control people at-will and at a distance (Area Effect means he can get more than one person, too). And since the stat that opposes his Bloodbending is STRENGTH, he's ESPECIALLY dangerous- not a single person in the [i]Avatar[i]-verse is above Strength 4. This means that he can effectively just snatch people out of mid-air and start throwing them around (Move Object), cause them pain (Blast), and Control their movements (standard Affliction). All of this is Subtle (the effects of what he's doing aren't clear), and Linked.

-And he's an expensive bugger thanks to having TWO powers exist outside the Array: he can "Casually Bloodbend", deftly avoiding people's attacks by controlling just enough of them to make them miss (Sustained, but Subtle- and limited to making them Disabled). And of course, a Continuous Affliction that leaves people de-powered permanently. And is Incurable (only the Deux Ex Machina State can reverse it). So he's a PL 11 (316) bad-ass. Oh, and he ALSO has a ton of interpersonal skills (he's so frightening that the ass-kicking KORRA is basically reduced to tears just by the thought of him, and he's good enough at bluffing to lead an entire Anti-Bending revolution WHILE BEING A WATERBENDER), and is a kick-ass fighter in his own right.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 08-16-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Re: Jab's Builds!

I have mixed opinions on Amon. He was quite terrifying and his design with the mask and the cold stare behind it was top notch, and his thing of being an evil with a valid point behind it was nice as well. However, the truth about him was a big let down for me, as I did not found it all that interesting or creative, especially after they already had his brother as a blood-bending villain. Still better than the obviously-evil uncle allied with satan in book 2, though. Pulling air-bending out of nowhere is also much more acceptable than the deus ex tree resulting in kaiju korra.

Re: Amon

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    -Amon is a great study in the power of a Masked Villain- a non-emotive, never-changing face can be a real source of terror. It gives the impression of a villain who cannot be reasoned with- an inhuman force of destruction. It's made worse by the fact that he has REAL EYES, meaning he's ALSO got that cold stare down pat. It can be a tricky thing to pull off in a moving visual medium- characters tend to look like Power Rangers when they try to emote- but Amon works because he never HAS to emote: Even his VOICE doesn't betray any hint of passion.
    Not to get off topic, but all of the above? My arguments for why Ultron in the last Avengers movie shouldn't have had so emotive a face, complete with the movie mouth, lips and eyebrows. Granted, Movie Ultron was more 'Evil Tony Stark' (constantly making quips and such), and much less comic book Ultron, but still, Ultron having an expressive face bugged the crap out of me in that film.

Flaws of having Joss Whedon making your stuff. EVERYBODY. MUST. SNARK.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    Benefit of having Joss Whedon making your stuff. EVERYBODY. MUST. SNARK.
    Fixed that for you.

OPA Belta

You know, back in season 1 a lot of people were really behind Amon and the Equalist movement. Hell, I think he was probably the most "Draco in Leather Pants" villain in the series since Admiral Zhao (No, don't ask, you don't want to know. Suffice to say I've seen some things man). I saw and heard of tons of people trying to defend and justify Amon and what he was doing.

But... he's a Nazi. I mean not to Godwin but the guy is basically a Nazi. He stirred up fear and hatred based on lies and half truths, he said that benders were the cause of every major war. Hell, the first time Korra see's the guy in person he was having a beer hall putsch. DUDE IS A FREAKING NAZI. I mean am I alone here? am I the only one seeing this?

Of course this gave me no small amount of satisfaction when the finale rolled around and we discovered that Amon was nothing but a lying hypocrite who didn't care ab out equality, but was only doing all of this so he could beat up the Avatar and prove he's better than daddy. Schadenfreude at its finest right there.

Of course, this is gonna come up again when we hit season 4 and get to Kuvira, but one bridge at a time.
    Urge to Stat Rising: My blog where I post write ups for monsters for the Pathfinder system.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    No, danelsan had it right the first time. I love a lot of Joss' work, I love a lot of his dialogue, and I really, really loved the first Avengers movie. But not every character needs to snark in Buffy-speak, and Ultron is definitely a poor fit for such characterization. It worked perfectly for Loki, it might have worked for a different Marvel villain, but not Ultron. I definitely wouldn't want to see Dr. Doom engaging in similar dialogue. Though I suppose it's worth specifying that Joss' characters all have the same kind of snark. I mean, it definitely isn't out of character to make some jibe at a foe, but he does it in a very different manner, with such arrogance, confidence and intelligence that it makes you feel inferior to the man. And while Ultron will insult organic beings, it shouldn't be funny, it should be terrifying, because you are faced with an indestructible atomic powered killer robot that HATES you the way the computer from I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream hates.

It's like if Ultron showed up and he was written like Warren Elis's Machine Man, who was like some combo of Bender and HK-47.

OPA Belta

I personally like the version of Ultron from Avengers: EMH.

Yeah, he wants to wipe out humanity, but its nothing personal: He wants world peace, and the only way to get that is to kill everybody.
    Urge to Stat Rising: My blog where I post write ups for monsters for the Pathfinder system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    No, danelsan had it right the first time. I love a lot of Joss' work, I love a lot of his dialogue, and I really, really loved the first Avengers movie. But not every character needs to snark in Buffy-speak, and Ultron is definitely a poor fit for such characterization. It worked perfectly for Loki, it might have worked for a different Marvel villain, but not Ultron. I definitely wouldn't want to see Dr. Doom engaging in similar dialogue. Though I suppose it's worth specifying that Joss' characters all have the same kind of snark. I mean, it definitely isn't out of character to make some jibe at a foe, but he does it in a very different manner, with such arrogance, confidence and intelligence that it makes you feel inferior to the man. And while Ultron will insult organic beings, it shouldn't be funny, it should be terrifying, because you are faced with an indestructible atomic powered killer robot that HATES you the way the computer from I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream hates.

It's like if Ultron showed up and he was written like Warren Elis's Machine Man, who was like some combo of Bender and HK-47.
    To be fair, while Loki snarked, he snarked in Loki's idiom.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Crinos View Post
    I personally like the version of Ultron from Avengers: EMH.

Yeah, he wants to wipe out humanity, but its nothing personal: He wants world peace, and the only way to get that is to kill everybody.
    No, the comics Ultron is the best. Ultron isn't skynet or a terminator. Ultron is AM.