Page 731 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 2316316817217297307317327337417818311231 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,310 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Charlie-27

These are the only two pictures of him where it doesn't look like he's trying to take a MONSTER dump.

CHARLIE-27
    Created By:
    Arnold Drake & Gene Colan
    First Appearance: Marvel Super-Heroes #18 (Jan. 1969)
    Role: The Powerhouse, The Military Guy
    Group Affiliations: The Guardians of the Galaxy
    PL 9 (134)
    STRENGTH
    9 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 0
    FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
    Deception 4 (+5)
    Expertise (Space Soldier) 8 (+10)
    Insight 4 (+6)
    Intimidation 6 (+7)
    Investigation 4 (+6)
    Perception 4 (+6)
    Technology 3 (+5)
    Vehicles 6 (+8)
    Vehicles 6 (+14) -- Flaws: Limited to Flying Vehicles

Advantages:*
    All-Out Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Equipment 12 (Guns +6, "The Captain America I" Spaceship), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Gun), Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 8, Teamwork

Powers:
    "Jovian Biology"
    Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 5) [6]
    Features 3: Increased Mass 3 [3]

Equipment:
    "Blasters" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)

Offense:
    Unarmed +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
    Blasters +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +8, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
    Responsibility (The Last Jovian Alive)- Charlie-27 is the sole-survivor of his race.
    Relationship (Nikki)
    Enemy (The Badoon)- The Badoon exterminated Charlie's people.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 12 (134)

-Charlie-27 would probably win any contest I can think of for "The Worst Super-Hero Name Ever". I mean, what kind of super-hero has a NUMBER in their name, let alone CHARLIE? Were they even trying? I get that it's more sci-fi than super-hero, but that doesn't make the name less stupid. So this guy is a super-dense army guy from Jupiter, acting as the team's resident powerhouse & gun-fighter, and he looks ridiculous as all hell, being a big square dude. I can see him being the "Ironhide" of a group, being a gruff & tough guy, but altogether, I think you can point to THIS precise character as the reason why the "Guardians of the Galaxy" has now come to mean the modern team and not the old one.

-I've read some comments by a fan of the original team that you could easily make the old team a cool group with some modern modifications, and I agree- Charlie-27 could just get his "Old Soldier" persona shifted into a bad-ass Brock Samson-type of character who kicks tons of ass and kills people while being funny and sarcastic. That would make "Charlie-27" a popular character and get him more "legit". The only problem is, YOU COULD DO THAT WITH ANY CHARACTER EVER. The whole "There are no bad characters, just bad writers/actors" thing extends everywhere, and with the new team, there's a whole lot less work.

-Charlie-27 is a standard PL 9 who can brawl it out with guys like The Thing for a short while, as well as blast away at range fairly well. I decided to give him the Equipment points for the Guardians' spaceship, since he's the only one who ever flew the damn thing, as well as a bunch of military-related Skills & Advantages. Altogether, he's not bad, but this whole team kinda stats out funny, with three semi-balanced PL 9s, an over-costed PL 9, and a slightly over-costed PL 10 so far.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 08-03-2015 at 05:40 PM.

OPA Belta

Re: Jab's Builds!

Brainiac 5
    Million Dollar Man
    V
    Seven Deadly Brothers
    Weapon X
    Nth Man

more than a few Greek numbers used in names- Alpha, Omega..
    Last edited by Spectrum; 08-03-2015 at 05:44 PM.

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Brainiac 5
    Million Dollar Man
    V
    Seven Deadly Brothers
    Weapon X
    Nth Man

Dog Brother #1 and Bride of Nine Spiders, too.

Still unusual. I can give these guys a pass, because they avoid also being named "Charlie" .

And I wouldn't count the Greek numbers. Is V even supposed to be a number?
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 08-03-2015 at 05:52 PM.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Brainiac 5
    Million Dollar Man
    V
    Seven Deadly Brothers
    Weapon X
    Nth Man

Most of those weren't used as names for the person in conversation, just being titles or code-names, not proper identities. Brainiac 5 being an exception, but even then most people he interacted with outside the Legion (EarthGov officials, Science Police, etc.) just called him Querl Dox or Dox and his friends all called him Brainy.

"Charlie" is part of the phonetic alphabet used by militaries, air traffic controllers, maritime radio men, and anyone else that needs to communicate clearly over often poor reception of radio. You know, the whole "Alfa, Bravo, Charlie... Whiskey, X-Ray, Zulu." routine. This is how all North Veitnamese soldiers and irregulars became "Charlie," taken from the phonetic alphabetized Viet Cong > V.C. > Victor Charlie > Charlie.
    Last edited by Batgirl III; 08-03-2015 at 05:55 PM.

OPA Belta

Yeeeah, Charlie is the hard part. Just painful. Given the time period, I also have to wonder if it's somehow a Vietnam reference? Maybe?

V is Alan Moore insanity. The name is deliberately vague but one of the answers he leads you towards was that V was in the 5th room, marked V, during his imprisonment.

It's also one of those really rare cases of the movie being better than the original source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsenhero View Post
    I do wish they hadn't walked back Quasar's death, since Phyla Vell made a perfectly acceptable replacement...but, it is what it is. Heck, one of the hallmarks of the modern GotG in my mind is how often characters die and resurrect. Quasar, Phyla Vell, Drax, Gamora, Adam Warlock, and Star Lord have all died and returned at least once.
    As one of the four fans of Quasar's solo series, I'm glad they did. If only because it was the one time fans got what they wanted by being nice. Hal's fans whined for a decade and issued death threats. Wendell's fans bought Marvel editors a cake and sent a politely worded note.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    Wow. It's like someone took Laurel Gand from Legion of Super Heroes and said, "Hmm... How can we tart her up a bit? Needs to be about 20% more skanky."

And considering Laurel's costume in this era involved a loin cloth that barely hid a unitard that was cut so high as to reveal her hip bones (and possibly her kidneys) that's saying something.

I'm very rarely one to complain about super-heroine costumes, but this ones just unoriginal and unnecessarily over-the-top.
    I liked Laurel's outfit... but then,I'm also a big fan of the Legion costumes of that period. It helps that they tended to not be skanky and covered up more than any other female character's costumes at the time.

OPA Belta

Considering Laurel's costume covers more than Starfire, Namorita, Wonder Woman, or several other female characters, I've got no problem with it. Heck, it's one cape short of Power Girl or Mary Marvel and a pair of thigh highs short of Carol Danvers' Warbird/Ms. Marvel costume, so I can't really call it particularly skanky or brief.

Note: I don't ever mention Tigra in discussions like this, because as she pointed out to Hank Pym: "I AM the costume. I wear the bikini so I don't get arrested for indecent exposure."

MCRN Admiral

Talon

"Jellicle songs for jellicle cats
    Jellicle songs for jellicle cats
    Jellicle songs for jellicle cats..."

TALON
    Created By:
    Jim Valentino
    First Appearance: Guardians of the Galaxy #18 (Nov. 1991)
    Role: Team Fun Guy, Claw Guy
    Group Affiliations: The Guardians of the Galaxy
    PL 9 (147)
    STRENGTH
    7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 7
    FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Acrobatics 5 (+12)
    Athletics 3 (+10)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
    Deception 4 (+6)
    Expertise (Arcane Lore) 4 (+4)
    Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
    Intimidation 4 (+6)
    Perception 5 (+5)
    Persuasion 5 (+7)
    Ranged Combat (Talons) 2 (+10)
    Stealth 3 (+10)
    Vehicles 2 (+7)

Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Claws & Teeth), Ranged Attack 3, Takedown, Taunt

Powers:
    "Inhuman Powers: Feline Anatomy"
    "Claws & Teeth"
    "Regrowing Talon Shot" Blast 5 (10) -- [11]
    AE: Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) (2)

"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
    Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
    Speed 2 (8 mph) [1]
    "Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Low-Level Magical Might"
    Blast 7 (Flaws: Unreliable) (7) -- [8]
    • AE: Flight 3 (16 mph) (6)

Offense:
    Unarmed +11 (+7 Damage, DC 21)
    Claws +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
    Talon Shot +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
    Magical Blast +8 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
    Initiative +7

Defenses:
    Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
    Reputation (Failed Screw-Up)
    Prejudice (Cat-Man)- Talon is orange and covered with fur- he stands out in a crowd.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 10 (147)

-Talon is one of the later additions to the Guardians of the Galaxy (he was a "Rookie Card" in the Marvel Cards Series III set), coming about because X-Editor Bob Harras nixed the planned use of a three-thousand year-old Wolverine in a story Jim Valentino (the book's main writer) was working on, reasoning that he didn't want to set in stone that Wolvie could live THAT long. Basically, Talon's a rip-off of every OTHER Cat-type clawed super-hero going around at that time, but he's given a personality more akin to The Beast's devil-may-care attitude, alongside a weird Magic-schtick as a protege of a Sorceror Supreme. He's also one of The Inhumans, who've survived to the 31st Century. An Inhuman? Acting as a replacement in-story for the role Mutants normally play? .... NAHHHHHHHHHHHH...

-Big Surprise: The character is so unknown he doesn't even show up in stories referring to the Guardians, and he vanished alongside most of the other Wolverine clones of the era. He wasn't BAD as far as those archetypes go, adding many original things to it, but he hardly seems like a fascinating character. He's pretty much just forgotten, as even the Cross-Overs with the MODERN Guardians tend to not include him.

-Talon's your every-day Claw Guy build at PL 9, but with some varied things to make him stand out. He's got a weak Magic power, usable for only one ability, but he can spend Hero Points for something else if need be. Unusually, his Claws can also fire out (and immediately regrow), but I don't think they were as powerful as if he'd just gone and slashed somebody. An odd little set-up.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 08-05-2015 at 11:07 PM.

MCRN Admiral

Adam Warlock

ADAM WARLOCK (Him)
    Created By:
    Stan Lee & Jack Kirby (Him), Roy Thomas & Gil Kane (Adam)
    First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #66 (Sept. 1967- Him), Marvel Premiere #1 (April 1972- Adam)
    Role: Alien Jesus, Smug Douchebag Supreme
    PL 12 (226)
    STRENGTH
    5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
    INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
    Deception 4 (+8, +10 Attractive)
    Expertise (Arcane Lore) 6 (+11)
    Expertise (Current Events) 2 (+7)
    Expertise (Space Traveller) 6 (+11)
    Expertise (Science) 2 (+7)
    Expertise (Theology & Philosophy) 6 (+11)
    Insight 4 (+9)
    Investigation 4 (+7)
    Intimidation 4 (+7)
    Perception 3 (+8)
    Persuasion 4 (+8, +10 Attractive)
    Technology 2 (+7)
    Vehicles 1 (+5)

Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Fascinate (Deception), Jack-of-All-Trades, Luck 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Taunt, Trance, Well-Informed

Powers:
    Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]

"Quantum Magic"*
    Cosmic Blast 13 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Multiattack) (39) -- [46]
    • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Burst" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (24)
      Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Wave" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (24)
      Dynamic AE: Force Field 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others) (18)
      AE: Teleport 11 (Feats: Increased Mass 4) (Extras: Accurate) (37)

Senses 11 (Detect Energy & Teleports- Ranged & Acute, Extended Vision 3, Darkvision) [11]
    Flight 10 (2,000 mph) [20]
    Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) [4]
    "Cocoon Resurrection" Immortality 1 (1 month) [2]

Offense:
    Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
    Cosmic Blast +11 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
    Cosmic Area Attacks +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5 (+14 Force Field), Fortitude +6, Will +14

Complications:
    Responsibility (The Guardians of the Galaxy)
    Enemy (The Magus)
    Secret (IS The Magus)- Warlock's arch-nemesis is actually himself, driven mad in the future by using the Soul Gem too often.
    Relationship (Gamora)

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 94 / Defenses: 12 (226)

-Ya know what? Out of all the characters in comic books, or in just about any genre I've ever seen, there has never been a character I wanted to see just utterly DESTROYED as Adam Warlock. There are worse characters to be sure, and dumber ideas, and more over-powered guys. But NONE of them have possessed Warlock's smug sense of self-assurance and overally face-punchability. I would pay hundreds of dollars to see a comic entitled "The Wrecking Crew Effortless Beat the Sh*t Out Of Adam Warlock Until His Head Is Caved In". Or just to see one of his plans fall apart and have everyone point and laugh at him while he cries.

-So you might say Adam Warlock is... one of those guys I've never really 'gotten'. He says some cryptic stuff, flies around with his motley crew of goofy characters (Miss Absolute Cleavage-ingly Woman in the Universe, a drunken troll, a green retarded guy and Sinead O'Connor with mentalism), beats cosmic beings, and eats souls. He's very weird, very hard to figure out, and I've never really been that attached to him as a character. He was a one-shot Stan & Jack creation (your standard "No, I have developed morality, so I will reject my evil creators" synthetic creation) who was altered by Roy Thomas (who went with a Christ Parallel and a Captain Marvel... sorry, "Shazam"-inspired costume), at which point Jim Starlin went off on a roll with the guy in an epic (and well-thought-of) series. Though as I've pointed out, the heavy subject matter (and unknown main hero/es) led to a short-lived series that didn't last more than a year.

-After that, Warlock was resurrected for Starlin's new epic, The Infinity Gauntlet, as a smarmy cocky guy who knew all this junk about Thanos because he'd been inside the Soul Gem for years, and he handily solved everything while all the other heroes trusted him implicitly. He kinda-sorta vanished from comics for a while (he had some one-shot appearances and Limited Series stuff here and there) once the bubble burst on "Cosmic Scene" comics, and he re-debuted in the Conquest portion of Annihilation, doing a bunch of damage after rebooting himself with new powers ("Quantum Magic"- because when Cosmic stuff just isn't enough- add the "I have every power" nature of Comic Book Magic), teaming with the High Evolutionary, but eventually just teaming with the rest of the gang in the Guardians of the Galaxy. He did a bit there (mainly being the tracker/detector and Blaster guy), before converting to his Magus persona, and setting off a big storm in that series.*

-Warlock is one of those classic pain in the ass guys. See, his OLD form had tons of power, including the obligatory "Cosmic Super-Strength" (about Strength & Stamina 8) guy on top of his Immunities & Cosmic Power. He also wielded the Soul Gem, capable of absorbing souls (essentially a Life Drain/Dimensional Travel Attack Device). But is the new guy really weaker? He doesn't punch anyone, but then, he rarely did anyways. So I stuck him with "Strong Human Guy" stats and used the powers I've noticed as regular-use things for his Quantum Magic (which is just Magic, obviously), as well as high levels of Super-Senses. His "Cocoon" thingie (whenever he dies, he wraps himself up in a cocoon to metamorphise or whatever) is there, as are his cosmically flying about (and related Immunities). He's smart, wise and charismatic, but arguably less so than his earlier, Thanos-fighting version. In any case, he's pricey as hell (for a non-Cosmic Entity) because of all his advantages.*
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 08-03-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Re: Adam Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    flies around with his motley crew of goofy characters (Miss Absolute Cleavage-ingly Woman in the Universe
    Which leads to more questions like how did Power Girl end up in the Marvel universe?
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who