Page 645 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 1455455956356436446456466476556957451145 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,450 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Re: Jab's Builds!

Yeah, it's funny... she's this high-end, all-business type. The classic "Un-fun Career Woman" stereotype. But usually in action movies the women do TONS of cool stuff these days- prove themselves bad-asses or whatever, to avert that old cliché. Your Michelle Rodriguez types. Instead, this girl's just COMICAL in her ineptitude. She gets to do a few cool things like drive around well, but she's basically this helpless woman before Chris Pratt's Alpha Male. And he even WORKS HIS MOJO ON HER because of how awesome and heroic and manly he is! It's like an '80s movie or a 1940s Superman story in terms of sheer "Man Saving Woman" factor. The kind of stuff that made stuff like Get Smart so revolutionary back in the 1960s (where the Competent Woman, Stupid Man thing hadn't become a cliché in and of itself just yet).

MCRN Admiral

Jetta

JETTA (Sheila Burns)
    Created By:
    Christy Marx
    Role: Extreme Liar, Consummate Thief
    Voice Actor: Louise Dorsey
    PL 2 (44)
    STRENGTH
    0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
    FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 3
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Deception 6 (+8)
    Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
    Expertise (Rock Star- Saxophone) 11 (+13)
    Intimidation 3 (+5)
    Persuasion 4 (+6)
    Sleight of Hand 2 (+5)
    Stealth 2 (+4)
    Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages:
    Benefit (Wealth) 1, Daze (Deception), Fascination (Deception)

Offense:
    Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
    Initiative +2

Defenses:
    Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +2

Complications:
    Motivation (Fame)
    Enemy (Jem and the Holograms)- As the most-famous and successful band in the world, The Holograms are standing in the way of Jetta's fame.
    Secret (Poor)- Coming from a poor family, Jetta habitually makes up a lie that she's actually wealthy, and that her family is close to the Royal Family. Even to her closest "friends" this comes out.
    Relationship (The Misfits)- Jetta is a Misfit, but barely seems to care about it.
    Rivalry (Roxy)- Jetta and Roxy often compete for Pizzazz's attention.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (44)

-When Jem introduced a new member, The Misfits were to get one, too. Writer Christy Marx attempted to make one of them black, but she was greeted with a HORRIFIED response by her producers, who flat-out said that you couldn't make evil black people in the show. Marx laughed in shock ("which I think embarassed them a bit"), but she conceded to making the new member a Brit. Marx goes into detail on the DVD sets about the casting decisions going in to Jetta- she was given her pick of four actresses. Three had embarassing Dick Van Dyke-style fake Cockney accents (though I swear to God I've heard people use Cockney accents in real life that sound EXACTLY like Van Dyke as the chimneysweep), while the fourth was *gasp* ACTUALLY ENGLISH. Thankfully, that one got the job.

-Jetta was discovered when The Misfits went member-hunting (naturally, to counter-act The Holograms' publicity for their own Talent Search). After rejecting various ideas, Stormer heard a "Wicked Sax!" coming from a club where The Tinkerbillies (British slang for "wannabe rockers" more or less) were playing. Jetta reacted to a rowdy crowd by threatening to beat every single one of them senseless, and sure enough, we had our new Misfit. Now, while Stormer was kind-hearted, Pizzazz was attention-grabbing to appease her childhood self, and Roxy was acting out to impress others, Jetta was pretty much established right away as a patholigical liar who made up a history for her poor family (I've actually met several people who are kind of like that). One episode actually has her trying to bilk Pizzazz- ostensibly one of HER CLOSEST FRIENDS- out of millions of dollars.

-I always thought it was funny that an '80s group would have a devoted SAXOPHONIST. They're the f***ing punk-rocking MISFITS, not the Dave Matthews Band! Never mind that most Misfits songs never HAD a sax in them in the first place. Though Sax Solos could be pretty common back in that era, I suppose. And I can't BELIEVE the show's writers failed to capitalize on an easy "No Sax, Please- We're English" joke. The Comic Book Jetta is actually black, as Marx had inquired about at first (though the creators seem to be exaggerating Marx's point and said she INTENDED for Jetta to be black), effectively only changing the colour of the character's skin. And I mean that- she looks almost identical to Cartoon Jetta, but has a darker hue. It kind of doesn't "go" with her outfit and make-up, actually. And she just looks like a white chick who's been dipped in tea.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-07-2017 at 02:24 AM.

OPA Belta

This was the decade where one of the most popular-among-teens horror movies pauses during all the vampire action for a massive rock concert with a shirtless bodybuilder playing a saxophone solo to a screaming crowd.

My only explanation for much of the Eighties is that the drugs from the Seventies clearly hasn't worn out yet.

MCRN Admiral

Rio Pacheco

RIO PACHECO
    Created By:
    Christy Marx
    Role: The Love Interest, Angry Boyfriend
    Voice Actor: Michael Sheehan
    PL 4 (61)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 2 (+5)
    Athletics 4 (+6)
    Expertise (Musical Engineer) 6 (+8)
    Intimidation 2 (+5)
    Perception 2 (+3)
    Persuasion 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)
    Technology 4 (+6)
    Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages:
    Attractive, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Inspire, Teamwork

Offense:
    Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
    Relationship (Jerrica Benton)- Jerrica & Rio have been together since they were children. Rio loves her deeply, but...
    Relationship (Jem)- Rio is also becoming increasingly-obsessed with the mysterious Jem. He can't decide between either woman, and BOTH know that he cares for the other as well.
    Enemy (The Misfits, Eric Raymond)- As Jerrica's boyfriend, Rio is similarly-wrapped-up in the schemes of The Misfits.
    Rivalry (The Stingers)- When Riot and the Stingers arrive in town, there's yet ANOTHER rival band on the docket. Riot specifically wants Jem for himself, earning him Rio's ire (and punches).
    Hatred ("I despise liars, and I HATE deception!")- Rio flies off the handle if he finds out somebody is lying to him- he once tore Kimber apart for making two dates at the same time. This is why Jerrica has never told him that she is also Jem.
    Temper- Rio likes to punch people in the face, especially if they do something to Jerrica or Jem.
    Hatred (Potted Plants)
    Responsibility (Starlight House & Starlight Music)
    Relationship (The Holograms)- Rio is the Hologram's Stage Manager/Engineer, and he cares for each of them.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (61)

-Rio is the Official Love Interest of Jem, and he was introduced as the Stage Manager of the Holograms- a catch-all term for "whatever it is that a band needs that the band themselves can't do". This meant he worked on their equipment, set up tours, did stuff in the studio, etc. Seriously, I'm pretty sure that all the work involved in starting up a band would normally be done by like THIRTY people, and Rio did it all himself. Dude's got a habit for multi-tasking, you see- must take after Alfred Pennyworth (seriously, Alfred cleans that ENTIRE HOUSE by himself, and still has time to make quips to Bruce).

-Because yes, Rio is also the "Lois Lane" of the series. He loved Jerrica Benton AND her alter-ego, Jem. Now, there was NO REASON for Jerrica to keep this fact from Rio- she trusted him as much as her foster sisters in the band. The show justified it later by showing that Rio was a hard-ass because "I DESPISE liars and I HATE deception!", and that's TRUE and Jerrica wisely hides the fact, but... ther was NO REASON why she didn't tell him immediately. She kept him in the dark, and just jumped all over him while in Jem form one day, and the dumbass (who didn't recognize that Jem had the SAME VOICE as Jerrica... nor that her HOLOGRAPHIC HAIR couldn't possibly stand up to the "touch test", as Jerrica had short '80s hair) was all "hey woah this chick is hot and is into me OH CRAP WHAT DO I DO?!?" Seriously, at no point did they explain why Jerrica never told Rio immediately.

-This left Rio looking like a cad, except that BOTH GIRLS knew that he was into the other (I mean, obviously they did, but BOTH of them pointed out to him that they knew about the other... Rio must have been driven insane by all this), so he really wasn't sneaking around on them. There was a hilarious episode where Jerrica tests Rio's love for her by creating a THIRD persona, and MAKES HIM FALL IN LOVE WITH THAT ONE, TOO!! Then she smiles, because this PROVES to her that his love for her is real! JERRICA BENTON IS INSANE! RIO PACHECO IS IN LOVE WITH A CRAZY PERSON!

-Rio's OTHER character traits are that he's got a hair-trigger temper (a frequent occurence is him taking a slight at something another dude said and just punching him square in the face- though sometimes the guy deserves it, like when Eric Raymond slapped Jerrica... another time he just cold-cocked a dude for kissing Jem IN A MOVIE SCENE), and he's really defensive of his friends. But mostly just the temper- the infamous "Rio has an argument with Jerrica, then kicks a potted plant in a huff" scene has been replayed in the fans' memories for years- even Christy Marx (who points out that Rio is her only creation that she's authentically lusted over) points out in a DVD commentary that that scene was RIDICULOUS ("I just want everyone to know that I did NOT write that into the script!"), and made him look like a goober.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-07-2017 at 02:24 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Eric Raymond

ERIC RAYMOND
    Created By:
    Christy Marx
    Role: Corrupt 1980s Businessman
    Voice Actor: Charlie Adler
    PL 2 (34)
    STRENGTH
    1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Deception 6 (+8)
    Expertise (Business) 5 (+8)
    Insight 3 (+6)
    Persuasion 5 (+7)
    Vehicles 1 (+1)

Advantages:
    Benefit 2 (Wealth), Daze (Deception)

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Complications:
    Motivation (Greed)- Raymond is just a greedy corporate executive, and will do just about anything for money. He tolerates people only so long as they bring him profits.
    Reputation (Asshole)- Raymond is TOTAL scum.
    Enemy (Jem and the Holograms)- As the most-famous and successful band in the world, The Holograms are standing in the way of Raymond's fortunes- in particular, Jerrica cost him controlling interest in Starlight Music, which lost him a TON of money.
    Relationship (The Misfits)- Raymond's biggest money-makers are The Misfits. Unfortunately for him, they are uncontrollable, prone to trashing things (that Raymond had to pay for), and untrustworthy. He can't stand any of them on a personal level, actively insults them to their faces (and receives the same), and yet is forced to do their bidding, as he can't make money without them.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (34)

-Eric Raymond has got to be up there in the top ranks of the greatest assholes in all of fiction. See, for the most part he's no worse than any OTHER 1980s Businessman archetype, what with his blatant greed and vindictiveness ruling his emotions, willing to lie, cheat and steal his way to the top of the Music recording world. However, he has ONE true dick-headed moment of sheer, unadulterated evil, that truly puts him into the elite ranks.

-See, Jerrica/Jem uncovers knowledge of demo tapes recorded by her late mother many years ago- her mother is long since dead, going back at least a decade. She becomes desperate to find these tapes, so that she can release her mother's album as a tribute. After an exhaustive search with a public appeal (which Eric sees). Turns out, Eric has the master tapes (through fleecing Jerrica's company years ago after he was fired, he found them in a warehouse). So what does he do? Demand $1 million up front for them, or she'll "never see them".

-Dickhead, right? So Jerrica goes up to him, and instead of paying him (she can't afford it), desperately pleads to any sense of decency he has, telling him how much getting those songs would mean to her. She's basically got TEARS in her eyes as she's begging him. So what does Eric do? Is he so moved by her tearful outcry that he gives in? Does he have a heart after all?

-Motherf*cker just coldly THROWS THE TAPES INTO A FIRE while Jerrica watches in horror. And then he LAUGHS about it while she cries. In a freaking EIGHTIES CARTOON. Freakin' Megatron & Cobra Commander should BOW before that level of unbelievable evil. Thank God that they got the songs in the end (turns out the super-computer her daddy built before HE died allowed Jerrica to get the songs after all). This kind of unadulterated exceptional evil is to be APPLAUDED in a villain- and best of all, it's semi-grounded so the evil just seems so much MORE excessive by comparison! Ares has compared it to an evil act of Skeletor's... but Skeletor is an evil dictator who wants to KILL He-Man & Company! He's over-the-top, cartoonishly-evil, and is a giant super-villain murderer. Eric is a RECORD EXECUTIVE. And his only beef with Jerrica involves money and competition in the music business. He has NO REASON to be such a dick, and he's never unleashed cartoonish supervillainy before. His act isn't even this grand scheme, or particularly-manipulative or anything- this is easily something a real person could do. That's why the scene resonates so much with me- it's just pointlessly nasty, and paints him as this vicious, petty piece of slime. Beautiful.

-Eric Raymond only has a few major advantages, and he uses them well. A wheeling, dealing, greasy-as-all-hell record executive, he managed to fool Emmett Benton into giving him half-power in his company, and nearly took the whole thing if it wasn't for his classic ego, and his lack of Awareness enough to reign in Pizzazz and the other Misfits enough times. His business sense is pretty nasty, as is his Deception (how he makes his deals, as we've seen AGAIN AND AGAIN on the show... he's nearly inked a whole lot of nasty iron-clad contracts, only to fail at the last moment). Unfortunately, unlike almost every male character in the history of '80s cartoons, he's a COMPLETE wuss in combat, as one punch from Jem's boy-toy Rio is enough to flat-out K.O. him, and he fears Pizzazz's wrath more than almost anything in the world. Spineless in every way, but oh-so-greasy, he's one of the central characters in Jem & The Holograms for good reason; almost no conflict would happen without him.

-He gets some of the best lines and moments, too, like when he's trying to gain sales for Misfits records to win a contest, and he starts literally pulling money out of his own pockets to force old ladies to "buy a Misfits record" (she buys a Holograms one instead, because "these look like such NICE girls!"). And when Techrat is getting the girls to test out a new laser device he created, Eric just looks at him sternly and goes "you gave PIZZAZZ a LASER weapon?"
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-07-2017 at 02:25 AM.

Re: Eric Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post

ERIC RAYMOND
    This face . . . this face was designed by God for people of virtue to punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    -Motherf*cker just coldly THROWS THE TAPES INTO A FIRE while Jerrica watches in horror. And then he LAUGHS about it while she cries. In a freaking EIGHTIES CARTOON. Freakin' Megatron & Cobra Commander should BOW before that level of unbelievable evil. Thank God that they got the songs in the end (turns out the super-computer her daddy built before HE died allowed Jerrica to get the songs after all). This kind of unadulterated exceptional evil is to be APPLAUDED in a villain- and best of all, it's semi-grounded so the evil just seems so much MORE excessive by comparison! Ares has compared it to an evil act of Skeletor's... but Skeletor is an evil dictator who wants to KILL He-Man & Company! He's over-the-top, cartoonishly-evil, and is a giant super-villain murderer. Eric is a RECORD EXECUTIVE. And his only beef with Jerrica involves money and competition in the music business. He has NO REASON to be such a dick, and he's never unleashed cartoonish supervillainy before. His act isn't even this grand scheme, or particularly-manipulative or anything- this is easily something a real person could do. That's why the scene resonates so much with me- it's just pointlessly nasty, and paints him as this vicious, petty piece of slime. Beautiful.
    Heh, yeah, Eric basically is the personification of 'Evil is Petty'.

For those interested, the instance I brought up with Skeletor? In one episode, he managed to trick He-Man into thinking that he(He-Man) had accidentally killed an innocent bystander through careless use of his superstrength.

Let me repeat that: In an 80's era cartoon, the villain made the hero think that the hero had killed a completely innocent person through misuse of his his superpowers. This sent He-Man into this existential angst that . . . well, frankly, was handled realistically. He had been given this great power to help people, but by misusing that power, someone had died, and died solely because he took what felt like a quick and easy route to victory. It was fairly heavy stuff for its time.

But yeah, in terms of outright cartoonish villainy, nothing beats Eric's act for sheer, pointless cruelty.

OPA Belta

I used to have a theory, as a kid... okay, and as an adult... that Eric was the long-lost triplet of COBRA's identical twin ruthless evil businessmen, Tomax and Xamot.

MCRN Admiral

Of course, it would have been more evil of Skeletor to, you know, ACTUALLY KILL TEELA instead. I mean, she IS his enemy, and he IS evil. Seemed like the illusion was an unnecessary step. Course, I didn't watch that episode.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 06-20-2016 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    I used to have a theory, as a kid... okay, and as an adult... that Eric was the long-lost triplet of COBRA's identical twin ruthless evil businessmen, Tomax and Xamot.
    That . . . makes a lot of sense, actually. I wonder if Jem was part of the same universe as Transformers, GI Joe, the Inhumanoids and a few other 80's shows, all linked by a few things, including Hector Ramirez, the Marvel/Sunbow universe's parody of Geraldo Rivera.

MCRN Admiral

Eric's Goons

TECHRAT
    Created By:
    Christy Marx
    Role: Weird Scientist
    PL 2 (37), PL 8 (37) Scientist
    STRENGTH
    0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
    Deception 4 (+3)
    Expertise (Science) 10 (+18)
    Perception 2 (+3)
    Technology 10 (+18)
    Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
    Inventor, Ultimate Technology Skill

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Complications:
    Motivation (Science)- Techrat really just kinda does stuff for the sheer hell of creating it.
    Responsibility (Doesn't Like to be Touched)- Techrat will have a five-alarm freak-out if somebody touches him. The only one to break through his anti-social exterior is Minx- a kindred soul.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (37)

-Techrat was kind of a means to an end in Jem. He's an anti-social ("Don't TOUCH ME!") super-genius working out of a garage, and Eric Raymond has hired him on to be his resident go-to guy for high-tech stuff. Initially he was to give The Misfits "A Gimmick" (like a flying platform or a laser weapon), but occasionally the show delved into COMPLETE weirdness, such as when he built a TIME MACHINE (in his GARAGE, no less), sending The Holograms through the ages to meet various famous acts in music history (like a Jimi Hendrix Expy), and eventually brought a dinosaur back to our timeline. And that's the funniest thing about his whole deal- the guy can BUILD A TIME MACHINE (in a CAVE! Out of SCRAPS!), and his job is specifically to harass a popular rock band.

-Techrat's goofy exterior was good for a laugh as well- he talked kind of like Peter Lorre, had one of those "Mohawk/Bangs" combo things, and generally looked like an '80s-style punk.

ZIPPER
    Created By:
    Christy Marx
    Role: The Goon
    PL 3 (30)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
    Athletics 2 (+4)
    Deception 3 (+3)
    Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
    Intimidation 4 (+4)
    Stealth 2 (+3)

Advantages:
    None

Offense:
    Unarmed +3 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +0

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (30)

-Zipper was utilized in the early seasons as Eric Raymond's personal hired goon. He was responsible for burning down the first Starlight House (they later got Starlight Mansion, which had a lot less character to it, really), and actually tied Kimber up in an ACTIVE VOLCANO once- an act of sheer criminal malice that resulted in him being beaten down by Rio, arrested, and then gone from the series. The show was relatively careful to make sure the Misfits never ACTUALLY tried to commit murder, despite often endangering them- at one point they actually warned The Holograms about a bomb that'd been placed under their stage (during "The Princess and the Rock Star"), and pointed out that they may HATE Jem, but killing them is too far. Of course, there was the time they trapped them in the timestream, but that's what happens when you have multiple writers on one series.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-07-2017 at 02:25 AM.