Page 623 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 1235235736136216226236246256336737231123 ... LastLast
Results 6,221 to 6,230 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

OPA Belta

Re: Jab's Builds!

I'm still pulling for the Allosaur. I don't know why, but I just think it'd be nifty if the escapee from Jurassic Park squeaked out a win.

MCRN Admiral

Mollusks

PHYLUM- MOLLUSKS:
    -Here's another extremely varied and weird group of animals- the Mollusks! In fact, they're possibly THE most-varied grouping of animals ever! Multi-limbed Octopi, Clams & other Bivalves, Snails & Slugs, stuff that just looks like plants... it's all pretty messed-up. Of course, for statting purposes, all I really need to see are the Octopi & the Squid- their Class (Cephalopoda) are the largest, fastest and most intelligent of all invertebrates, capable of tremendous feats of strategy, learning (the Cuttlefish is believed to be one of the more intelligent animals out there in the world), and they've got dozens of little abilities, many of which are just being learned by science. For one, the Cuttlefish, quite small and looking like short-limbed Octopi, have THE greatest camouflage in history- they're basically the equivalent of what people often think CHAMELEONS can do (ie. morph completely into the surroundings), so much so that their apperance can be REALLY surprising.

Man, I loved you in "The Fisherman's Wife II: The Retentacling"!

GIANT PACIFIC OCTOPUS (Enteroctopus dolfeini)
    Role:
    Mid-Tier Carnivore
    PL 5 (74)- Minion Rank 5, Sidekick Rank 15
    Normal Version:
    PL 3
    STRENGTH 3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
    Athletics 4 (+7)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+6)
    Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
    Intimidation 5 (+2)
    Perception 5 (+5)
    Sleight of Tentacle 8 (+8)
    Stealth 8 (+11)

Advantages:
    Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Grab

Powers:
    "Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Direction Sense) [2]

"Octopus Features"
    "Eight Arms" Extra Limbs 4 [4]
    Unarmed Reach 3 [3]
    "Boneless Body" Insubstantial 1 (Flaws: Limited to Enough Space For Beak -2) [3]
    Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
    Features 3: May Taste Via Tentacles, Eject & Autonomously Move Limbs, Regrow Lost Limbs [3]

"Ink Jet" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Area- Cloud, Attack) [8]
    "Colour Change" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Flaws: Blending) [2]

"Sea Creature"
    Swimming 4 (8 mph) [4]
    Immunity 2 (Pressure, Drowning) [2]

Offense:
    Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
    Disabled (Animal)- Octopi cannot speak to humans.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 11 (74)

Era: Modern
    Range: Pacific Ocean
    Stereotypes: Mischievous handsy types.
    Colouring: Dark red
    Size: Up to 16-23 feet long (22-160 lbs.)
    Encounter Groups: Solitary
    Diet: Fish, Crabs & lobsters, mollusks
    Tactics: Sneak attack with arms, then pull prey in to lethal beak.

-Octopi are pretty sweet, and this is the largest of the species, a powerhouse roughly as strong as a human, with an incredible grip, eight limbs, a sharp beak, undersea adaptations, and several other odd effects. It's quite weird how many authentic super-powers these guys have: Extra Limbs (almost gave it eight before I realized that 4 was the default for all creatures), partial Insubstantial (they can get through tiny areas, but not like an actual liquid), Colour Change and an Ink Jet (both Concealment, but one allowing an Attack Cloud), taste via tentacles, a Direction Sense (they always know which way is up), etc. I even left in a Feature for their ability to separate a limb and have it kinda move around as a distraction- it's really only worth 1 point, AND they can regrow lost limbs (effectively Regeneration's old "Regrowth" Feat added as a Feature instead). They've got a helluva reach for a -2 Size Rank creature, and are half-decent at fighting, being PL 4.5. Not super-elite, but dangerous enough for humans. And Grappling? It's got a HUGE bonus thanks to it's Advantages & Limbs- much more than a small guy like this would normally have.

COLOSSAL SQUID (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni)
    Role:
    Huge Bottom-Feeder, Sperm Whale Bait
    PL 8 (86)- Minion Rank 6, Sidekick Rank 18
    Normal Version:
    PL 3
    STRENGTH 7 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 0
    FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+6)
    Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
    Intimidation 8 (+5, +7 Size)
    Perception 5 (+5)
    Stealth 14 (+14, +9 Size)

Advantages:
    Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Grab

Powers:
    "Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Direction Sense) [2]

"Squid Features"
    "Eight Arms" Extra Limbs 4 [4]
    Unarmed Reach 5 [5]
    "Boneless Body" Insubstantial 1 (Flaws: Half-Effect- Requires Some Space) [3]
    "Bioluminescence" Environment 1 (Light- 30 feet) [1]

"Ink Jet" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Area- Cloud, Attack) [8]

"Sea Creature"
    Swimming 3 (4 mph) [3]
    Immunity 3 (Pressure, Cold, Drowning) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 5 (Str & Sta +5, +5 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -5 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [11]
    Strength-Damage +2 [2]
    Protection 3 [3]

Offense:
    Unarmed +6 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +9, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
    Disabled (Animal)- Squid cannot speak to humans.

Total: Abilities: -4 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 24 (86)

Era: Modern
    Range: All Southern Oceans
    Stereotypes: Less human than Octopi.
    Colouring: Red
    Size: Up to 65 feet long (1,091 lbs.)
    Encounter Groups: Solitary
    Diet: Fish, other mollusks
    Tactics: Slow surprise-attacking predator, using limbs to hook prey.

-The Colossal Squid (even bigger than the Giant Squid) is a famous symbol of the weird relationship between Cryptozoology and actual Zoology. It's so extremely rare that we've witnessed all of two or three live ones in the past century, to the point that catching a live one a few years back was a MAJOR news story. We actually have known these things existed for decades, but ONLY as evidence collected from Sperm Whale intestines, and scars on their backs. THAT's how rare and stealthy these buggers are- living in the coldest oceans on Earth while being able to breathe water has left these monsters so hard to find that a SIXTY-FOOT CREATURE went unseen by our eyes for a long, long time.

-For stats, it's perhaps not as impressive as you'd think, given it's size, but they're not THAT tough. Sharks and Pilot Whales can still kill them, but they're dangerous enough to even cause some damage to a Sperm Whale, though I don't see one taking out a Bull anytime soon. PL 8's still pretty dangerous, anyhow. It loses a lot of the cool stuff Octopi had on their statline, but still keeps things like the Ink Jet. Oh, and apparently they kinda glow in the dark.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-10-2017 at 03:02 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Heh- reading '90s comics is always fun for weird Power Showings:

I just found Uncanny X-Men #275 in a back-issue bin, done by the superstar line-up of Chris Claremont & Jim Lee- it features the X-Men retaking the Shi'ar Empire from Deathbird, while Rogue, Nick Fury & Ka-Zar hunt Zaladane in the Savage Land. Well-drawn classic Lee stuff (though god help me so many of his women look alike that the Shi'ar females are clones, and Psylocke & Zaladane are twin sisters, made worse because they're often naked or wearing robes).

But the POWER SHOWINGS are all over the place. A ragtag band of X-Men (Storm, Gambit, Forge, Banshee, Xavier, Psylocke) & Starjammers invade Deathbird's base, and face down the Imperial Guard, this time including Gladiator, Oracle, Titan, Smasher, Earthquake, Tempest and Bolt (fire guy). We get this BIG Splash Page of everyone brawling. What happens? The X-Men win OFF-PANEL. You see friggin' GLADIATOR all chained-up and gagged after all of this- you don't even see how they win!

The same thing happens when the captive Wolverine & Jubilee escape confinement and go after Deathbird- she cheap-shots Logan with a spear and runs off, with Jubes criticizing him because "Even HEALTHY, you're no match for--" (pretty well over-rating the HELL out of D-Bird's capabilities) as he chases her down. What happens? Wolverine just casually shows up later, carrying an unconscious Deathbird- the X-Men basically trounced EVERYBODY off-panel.

The Savage Land stuff is a bit more clear and on-panel, though it features Claremont Fave Rogue basically steamrolling the entire Savage Land Mutates (she takes out Gaza, Barbarus and the other big guy in a single panel by charging them), despite having been DE-POWERED previously, and only now getting some of her powers back. Though at least there's an awesome bit where Magneto gets his powers back from Zaladane, threatens her, and despite Rogue & Fury's protestations about criminal acts and honor, Mags just straight-up murders her while she's helpless. And, because Claremont still wrote the best Magneto ever, even as he was nearly-leaving the series, he gives this awesome speech about how awful the world is, and how a "kinder, gentler Magneto" will be unable to save his people.

All of that sort of reminds me of how in the 1990s, many groups that used to be something were often casually disposed-of (this was around when we stopped seeing The Wrecking Crew and others showing up again and again). What's more odd is that the groups created to REPLACE THEM (The M.L.F., Dark Riders, Weapon PRIME, etc.) were usually trounced in EQUALLY-short order, effectively leaving a swath of villains with no credibility. Here, we were basically shown than the Imperial Guard were weakling Jobbers, as well as the Mutates. The Problem With Jobbin', I guess...

---

also: goddammit, now my thread is officially long enough that it's extended the length of my quick-find URLs by two digits. This means that now my "Master List" in the WordFile now will look weird, with some names projecting out further than others, making it harder to read. Same thing happened in the first couple months, but only a few builds were noticeably shorter than the others. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

Protomolecule Host

THE GAME - ROUND 5 - GROUP 1 Hosted by Jab!!

ROUND 5 – GROUP 1 – START

Everyone Gets a Fresh Heropoint!!!

Quick Links
    Round 1 Groups 1-4
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post95039
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post95098
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post95115
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post96334
    Round 2 Groups 1-4
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post96364
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post96392
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post96525
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post96532
    Round 3 Groups 1-4
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post96782
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post96787
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post96925
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post97131
    Round 4 Groups 1-4
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post97139
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post97593
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...ll=1#post97873
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab...l=1#post100233

AANG
    Aang awoke with a snort, outside the building he could see the glow of a fire and the sounds of screaming and violence. Frowning, he rose to his feet, looking about, he was surprised to find himself unharmed. Perhaps he misjudged his foe, or perhaps something worse had drawn him away before he could finish the job.

Pushing it out of his mind for a moment, he checked Iroh and found the older man sleeping soundly. Leaning down he shook the old dragon awake. Grumbling, the old warrior sat up blearily.

“Ah, Aang. I was just napping. Give a moment and we'll... wait what happened.”

(Aang Mechanics
    Aang Hearing Sentinel's Carnage Last Round Perception Roll:19+11=(30) vs (25)
    Move Action: Kick Iroh Awake
    Readies Action to Knock anyone coming out window:

CHUN LI

Still smoldering, Chun Li rushed her foe, she had to finish this quickly and get out of the area. Gambit was moving to intercept her even as she leaped over his head. Whirling around to strike her with his staff he was stunned find her gone. Having slid under him, she rose behind him and elbowed him sharply in the ribs. The blow blow sent him hobbling forward and gasping for air.

“Sneaky... very sneaky...” He grunted.
    “I'm just getting started.” She smirked as she put out a small fire on her shoulder.

(Chun Li Mechanics)
    Chun Li: Move Action: Acrobatic Feint 8+16=(24) vs (21)=7+16-2 (webbing) HIT
    Chun Li: Standard Action: 8-5+17=(20) vs (14) Hit -2 Vision Impaired
    Gambit: Toughness Roll: 13+5-1=(17) vs (23) -1 Dazed

HAWKEYE

Hawkeye, was steadily cursing as he broke the remaining ice from his clothes. Hurrying across to the next building via a hole in the wall he glanced into the lot and frowned. He saw a Sentinel hovering overhead and figures fighting below. Narrowing his eyes he could see Captain America below, and saw that he was in serious trouble. Shaking off the chill he reached for his bow.

(Hawkeye Mechanics)
    Hawkeye: Standard Action: Attempts to thaw out: Str roll: 20+3=(23) vs (17) Freedom!!
    Hawkeye: Move Action: Moves into the next building.

SNAKE EYES

Snake Eyes slipped onto the roof as silent as smoke. He'd noticed the large cyborg earlier and was somewhat pleased to find him severely damaged. If luck would have it, he could dispatch his foe with minimal fuss and move on. With frightening ease, his slipped behind Victor, took a powered stance and drove his blade through Cyborg's heart. Victor's face tightened, silent he turned to face his foe, Snake-Eye stepped back, surprised to find his foe still stood.

Victor's HUD lit up like a Christmas tree as his system rerouted the blood-flow through an secondary heart. Finally able to gasp, blood and oil sprayed from his mouth as he let out a single curse.

“You'll pay for that...” He managed, then staggered backwards.

Snake-Eyes: Move Action: Stealth on the Run:15+14=(29)
    Cyborg: Perception Check: 7+8=(15) vs (29) Failed
    Attack Action: Sneak Power Sword Attack (Maneuver Version) (20+14-2=(32) vs (21) Snikt Critical...
    Cyborg Toughness Roll 3+8-4=(7) vs (28) Good bye shiny new HEROPOINT
    Cyborg Toughness Reroll 5+10+8-4=(19) vs (28) -1 Dazed

SPIDER WOMAN
    Jessica's keen hearing allowed her to hear Danny's scream, and Captain America's voice. Scrambling over the rubble, she took a leap the glided to nearby roof. Scanning the scene she saw her friends in serious trouble. Without thinking, she let fly a Venom Bolt at the grotesque blob engulfing Stever Rogers. The searing blast melted a gaping hole in the figure.

Clayface shifted his head to resemble Captain America's and screamed wildly at her before letting it melt away grotesquely. The effect was horrific.

Jessica gagged slightly in revulsion then scowled. “Let him go.”

“Make me...” A voice gurgled from deep within the mass of roiling clay.

(Spider Woman Mechanics)
    Spider-Woman: Move Action: Fly to roof near Captain America:
    Spider-Woman: Attack Action: Power (Maneuver Version) Venom Bolts: 12+10-2=(20) vs (16)Hit
    Clayface Toughness Roll: 15+8-1=(22) vs (27) -1

CYBORG

Sparks erupted from Cyborg's chasi, he was damaged, bad. It was all he could do to even stand at this point. Stone faced and disgusted at the situation. He fired his rockets and launched himself out of range of the deadly Ninja.

Snake-Eyes watched him go, he toyed with the idea of shooting him, but thought better of it. Better to slip off into the shadows and continue the work.

(Cyborg Mechanics)
    Cyborg Move Action: Flies up and out of range

CHIMERA

The Chimera looked up at the Sentinel hover above. It had no idea what it was, nor did it care. Flapping it's burned and tattered wings it hauled it's massive frame into the sky to engage it's foe. Weakened as it was however, it was all it could to to reach it.

The Sentinel regarded it with mechanical detachment.
    “Scanning, unknown aberration, animal classification. Threat detected.” The robot bellowed.

The chimera roared in agreement.

(Chimera: Mechanics)
    Chimera Move Action: Flies to Engage the Sentinel

ROCKET RACOON

Rocket heard movement coming from nearby. Leaving the scorched mess of an X-man he saw figure in the shadows. With a certain amount of ridiculous flair, he burst into the room in a roll.

Hawkeye whirled at the new threat just in time to see Rocket tumble into the room and come up firing.

“What the!” He blurted as the blast narrowly missed his head.
    “Rocket, dude? What the hell?”
    “Oh... hey Clint, hows it hanging buddy...” Rocket winced, without lowering his gun.
    Clint noted it and frowned.
    “Seriously man, you gonna shoot me?”
    “If I gotta. I think I already killed a X-man.”
    “What do you mean, you think?”
    “Oh I killed him alright, I'm just not sure if it was one of them. Kinda hard to tell with just his legs. Hey you should come look, it's pretty F&*^& nasty.”
    “Rocket what did you do!”
    “I thought I was pretty clear honestly.” Rocket shrugged then held up his hands in defense. “Hey pal, don't judge, he rushed me, It's not my fault he put his head in my cannon.”
    “Never mind for now, Steve's in trouble.”
    “Steve? Steve who?”
    “F^*&*& Captain America!”
    “Oh, man how am I supposed to know his name, I'm not even from here.” Rocket grunted as he walked casually to Clint's side.

(Rocket Raccoon: Mechanics)
    Move Action: Heads Deeper into Building
    Attack Actionefensive Attack Shoots Hawkeye: 15+12-5=(22) vs (24)

ROUND 5 – GROUP 1 – END

Tale of the Tape

Not much to say here honestly, more people converging. Being staggered is a pain... if you can't heal or regenerate.

OPA Belta

Yay, octopuses, finally! and a chance to set that mammal-centric Jab straight.

Have we heard stories of monkeys wrapping around sharks in an aquarium and devouring them? To think that the foolish scientists were worried that the sharks were going to hurt the giant octopus.

Or a dog presenting a choking hazard to people trying to eat them? Yeah, you've got to be careful when eating fresh tentacles because they still have the ability to suction to the inside of your throat.

Or a rat unscrewing a lid from the inside?

Or a cheetah predicting FIFA worldcup winners?

Or a dolphin crawling from one pool to another, through hazardous conditions, to get some? Okay, maybe couldn't easy find a video of that, but look upon this!

I think not!

So many more stories to share, but you are not ready!

Anyway, yeah, major fan of the bizarre critters.

OPA Belta

To me, the cuttlefish is the most amazing creature in the oceans, because it feels like Nature watched a whole bunch of goofy Hollywood alien monster movies and went "pfft, rookies. Let me show you how it's done."

The finest color blending in nature? Check.

The ability to change the texture of its skin to blend in even further? Check.

The ability to hypnotize their prey through a series of flashing light patches of skin? Check.

A face that would creep out a Predator? Check.

Three hearts pumping green blood? Check.

A brain shaped like a donut? Okay, now nature's just showing off.

I mean, it might not have the finest control over it to do something like blend in with a tacky living room set but hey, it tried, and I think it gave the checkerboard floor a fair attempt.

Plus, they can mimic pictures of things. That's pretty awesome.

OPA Belta

Yes Octopus are very smart. Probably in the top ten smartest animals.

Even then the big Octopuses aren't really that much of a danger to humans compared to say the tiny Blue Ringed Octopus.

OPA Belta

My favorite Octopus tale is actually on film. This documentary team came across a medium sized fellow (about 3' tip to tip), who was toting a heavy glass jar along with him and whenever sharks would come around he'd pull it down over himself like a little suit of armor. The images of the sharks attempting to eat him and failing were kind of hilarious. When the predators left, he'd ooze back out and continue on his merry way, dragging his jar behind him.

OPA Belta

I didn't see the octopus using the jar video, but here are several using coconut shells.

Looking back, have to give it to Jab. At least he didn't use the can't use tools complication..Dex is a little low (but the idea of an octofiend wielding a handgun gives me the giggles) AND there is the sleight of tentacle skill.

Looking through videos, if permeate applied to a living critter- yep, this would be the right area.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 05-30-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Phrozen View Post
    Yes Octopus are very smart. Probably in the top ten smartest animals.

Even then the big Octopuses aren't really that much of a danger to humans compared to say the tiny Blue Ringed Octopus.
    I dunno. They're crazy strong, and there are stories of divers having giant octopusses pull off their masks and filters. An encounter like that could get pretty messy.

Are we going to see Wonderpuss? Those things show off how the animals in this family are true masters of disguise.