Page 1097 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 975979971047108710951096109710981099110711471197 ... LastLast
Results 10,961 to 10,970 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

OPA Belta

Re: Jab's Builds!

Oh, yeah, I forgot about those guys too... And I'm a fan of Geo-Force! I own the debut issues of the guy in both The Brave and the Bold #200 and Batman and the Outsiders #1.

In my defense there, Geo-Force has such a wide array of powers it's easy to forget his little used gravity manipulation. Mostly he just used supehuman strength and lava blasts; heck he uses his lava blasts for his flying instead of his gravity powers. Now that he also has Terra's Earth manipulation suite too, the gravity thing is really tertiary to his build.

I always liked the Wingless Wizard, by I don't think I've seen him in anything since the Eighties...

MCRN Admiral

I swear, the weirdest part about Acts of Vengeance was that THE WIZARD was included in this Power Roster of bad guys that included Magneto, The Red Skull, The Kingpin, The Mandarin and Doctor Doom. THE WIZARD? In THAT group? Every one of those guys is a top-tier, Movie-Worthy Opponent. The Wizard once jobbed to some juvenile bicycle safety enthusiasts.

OPA Belta

Hey, those PSAs, educational spots, and promotional tie in comics can be brutal, man.

When Lex Luthor can job to the Tandy Computer Whiz Kids and their super advanced personal computer—now available at Radio-Shack™!— I can't be to hard on an actual jobber like the Wingless Wizard doing the job too.

The Key was able to takedown the entire JLA during Morrison's run –Superman was at his most powerful point post-Crisis in that book and this is also the title that fave us the "Batgod" meme. Every other Leaguer was similarly powered up by Morrison. But in 2012, the Key jobbed to a guy who was just really, really proud of his Craftsman Bolt-On Tool System!

MCRN Admiral

Arsenal

ARSENAL
    Created By:
    Bill Mantlo & Keith Giffen
    First Appearance: Iron Man #114 (Sept. 1978)
    Role: Kill-O-Bot
    PL 11 (155)
    STRENGTH
    12 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
    FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
    Expertise (History) 4 (+

Advantages:
    Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
    "Kill-O-Bot"
    Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
    Protection 14 (Extras: Impervious 11) [25]
    "Air Jets" Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]

"Laser Beam" Blast 12 (24) -- [29]
    • AE: "Inertia Darts" Affliction 6 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Ranged, Multiattack) (18)
    • AE: "Electro-Stun Field" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (16)
    • AE: "Flame-Thrower" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (16)
    • AE: "Gun Systems" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (24)
    • AE: "Toxic Gas" Weaken Strength 8 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud) (16)

Offense:
    Unarmed +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
    Laser Beam +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
    Inertia Darts +8 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
    Electro-Stun Field +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
    Flame-Thrower +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
    Guns +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
    Toxic Gas +8 Area (+8 Weaken, DC 18)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +14, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
    Motivation (Defeating The Nazis)- Arsenal units tend to think that it is a Nazi-controlled world, and lashes out at any authority figures.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 98 / Defenses: 8 (155)

-Arsenal is the creation of Howard Stark (Tony's father), meant to fight as a possible last line of defense in World War II (this is back when Tony having a dad who was alive during WWII wasn't weird), but was shut down post-War, only to be reactivated in modern times during a fight between The Avengers and The Unicorn. After beating many Avengers (thinking them Nazis or something- it believes that the Allies lost the war), it is kept from self-destructing by Tony, who unmasks and reveals that Arsenal's programming was based off of his dead mother- the situation resolves itself peacefully. However, later on, it returned, defeating She-Hulk before The Hulk smashed it. Another, "Alpha" unit, came alive to fight the team AGAIN, but Iron Man got Warbird (Carol Danvers) to deactivate its signal to it shut down- The Avengers would later reactivate one as a training drone, and surprisingly it DIDN'T come back to life and try to kill them all.

-Arsenal is high-tier enough to take on an entire Avengers squad and survive, as well as being able to beat someone as powerful as She-Hulk- it generally gets deactivated or beaten by a very powerful character (like Hulk), meaning it's a lot tougher than your typical Kill-O-Bot. This build also represents the varied attacks of the Alpha unit- the Beta only had the Beam, Darts & Stun Field.

He looks kinda like the Juggernaut went to a 1970's S&M shop.
    "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about those guys too... And I'm a fan of Geo-Force! I own the debut issues of the guy in both The Brave and the Bold #200 and Batman and the Outsiders #1.

In my defense there, Geo-Force has such a wide array of powers it's easy to forget his little used gravity manipulation. Mostly he just used supehuman strength and lava blasts; heck he uses his lava blasts for his flying instead of his gravity powers. Now that he also has Terra's Earth manipulation suite too, the gravity thing is really tertiary to his build.

I always liked the Wingless Wizard, by I don't think I've seen him in anything since the Eighties...
    If I remember right, Geo-Force flew by decreasing his weight to zero and then projected the lava blasts behind him to provide thrust, since at the time comics generally considered gravity as 'makes things heavier' or 'makes things lighter' without the kind self-propelled flight or telekinesis you see Graviton use. So Brian was basically using his gravity control all of the time, it was just in the least obvious way possible.

Still, it was cool when they did make use of it explicitly. I've mentioned it before, but one of my favorite Geo-Force moments was when, in an admittedly stupid move, he picked a fight with PRE-CRISIS Superman. Now, Geo-Force is a powerful hero in his own right, but physically he's probably around Ben Grimm level on his best days. Him punching Planet Moving Superman almost broke his hand. However, at the time Superman's powers had a very weird gravity component to them, so that his strength and invulnerability depended at least partially on the gravity of the world around him. In a gravity similar to Krypton, he'd only have the physical power of a normal man, though this varied from writer to writer. So Geo-Force messed with the gravity around his fist so that it had the gravitational properties similar to that of Krypton, with to Superman was basically like having Kryptonite brass knuckles, and then punched Superman again. This time Clark was sent flying out of the building and sporting a black eye. Superman eventually won the fight, but was very impressed with Geo-Force, and thought he'd make a top tier hero one day.

Which again, made it weird when they seemed to think giving Geo-Force Terra's powers was some kind of upgrade, when the guy could technically already do what she could, just via gravity instead of Earth Control. Really, Geo-Force should be potentially one of the most powerful heroes in DC, with Iron Man like stats and energy blasts, plus gravity control.

Re: Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post

ARSENAL
    They actually used Arsenal in the new Avengers Assemble cartoon. Here, Arsenal was a puny looking robot but who was none-the-less ultra-powerful, having been designed by Howard to be Tony's friend and protector. Here, Arsenal had the ability to shunt any amount of energy to a self-generated pocket dimension within itself, and then use that energy for whatever purpose it wanted. To the point where Ultron possessed Arsenal and used its power to completely drain the Infinity Gauntlet of all of its power.

I was just . . . . WHAT? Howard Stark had the tech to design that kind of robot? Something with near infinite energy capabilities to the point that something with supposedly limitless power could just have all its energy sucked out of it? God this show is stupid and lazy.

Re: Rumiko Fujikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    RUMIKO FUJIKAWA

-Rumiko and her father, a Japanese businessman who bought Tony Stark's company while he was in the "Heroes Reborn Universe", kind of came in a little late to capitalize on the whole Western fears of "The Japanese Will Rule Us All", regarding the power of Japanese companies (which reached a peak between the 1960s & '80s). In fact, the bubble burst on their economy by the time she'd appeared, and the country actually experienced DEFLATION, and numerous corporations lost a ton of money. Nonetheless, the time when I got back into reading comics (I kind of lost the thread in the mid-90s) actually resulted in me coming into the Iron Man book with Stark/Fujikawa being a thing, Tony's armor gaining sentience, and Rumiko being his new girlfriend.
    this was meant as a tie-in to the 2099 comics line, where one of the major megacorps is Stark-Fujikawa

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    If I remember right, Geo-Force flew by decreasing his weight to zero and then projected the lava blasts behind him to provide thrust, since at the time comics generally considered gravity as 'makes things heavier' or 'makes things lighter' without the kind self-propelled flight or telekinesis you see Graviton use. So Brian was basically using his gravity control all of the time, it was just in the least obvious way possible.

Still, it was cool when they did make use of it explicitly. I've mentioned it before, but one of my favorite Geo-Force moments was when, in an admittedly stupid move, he picked a fight with PRE-CRISIS Superman. Now, Geo-Force is a powerful hero in his own right, but physically he's probably around Ben Grimm level on his best days. Him punching Planet Moving Superman almost broke his hand. However, at the time Superman's powers had a very weird gravity component to them, so that his strength and invulnerability depended at least partially on the gravity of the world around him. In a gravity similar to Krypton, he'd only have the physical power of a normal man, though this varied from writer to writer. So Geo-Force messed with the gravity around his fist so that it had the gravitational properties similar to that of Krypton, with to Superman was basically like having Kryptonite brass knuckles, and then punched Superman again. This time Clark was sent flying out of the building and sporting a black eye. Superman eventually won the fight, but was very impressed with Geo-Force, and thought he'd make a top tier hero one day.

Which again, made it weird when they seemed to think giving Geo-Force Terra's powers was some kind of upgrade, when the guy could technically already do what she could, just via gravity instead of Earth Control. Really, Geo-Force should be potentially one of the most powerful heroes in DC, with Iron Man like stats and energy blasts, plus gravity control.
    You remember correctly.

The gravity component of Superman's powers was an artifact of the earliest explanations of his powers: Superman's great physical strength came from being born on a high gravity world, and then coming to Earth. Later the different coloured sun thing was added on top of that to explain the powers Superman had gained that couldn't be explained via strength alone.

As far as giving him Terra's powers is concerned, remember that this was done during the same era that inferred that Brion couldn't understand Markovian.

OPA Belta

I misplaced this thread for three or four days, so forgive the backtrack but I'm finding myself agreeing with Ares again in his critique of IM3. That was quite a letdown after Avengers.