Page 38 of 80 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Rogue: Overrun

Re: Going Rogue: Prologe Vigil for the Vigilant

Flux

Before he gets to the door, Mace stops.

"Morpheus, I owe you an apology. I misjudged you at the beginning; I was looking at you from a very skewed perspective, and I didn't give you the chance to prove yourself. You have definitely proven yourself as a good leader for this group. I think they will succeed with you guiding them."

Mace then continues to the door.

Powerfist

"I'll clarify. I am suggesting that, we, and by that i mean anyone here, shouldn't be blindly following anyone. We need to be proactive, and use each others expertise, and we still have some leads to follow. As the Mechanic has had extensive dealings with the supercriminal community *, he might be the best to ask for a place to start recruitment." Susan answered

"Questions about the organisation, operations, personal, and assets aside for now. What kind of poison did she take, and is body retrieval likely? "she asked flicking though information on a tablet.

* Its in his background

OPA Belta

Sebastian Blackwood

"I don't believe we're looking for a replacement, Miss Sparky Gloves." Sebastian interjected. "Mr. Ford does not feel ready to handle any such surreptitious work. If and when he feels ready, I don't doubt I and the others would welcome him to this coterie with open arms. So if you would all stop being so melodramatic..."

"Mes confédérés," the man spread his arms wide to all of them. "We have a threat before us. And as le esprit supérieur with us in "Morpheus" notes, we are uniquely suited to deal with the threat."

But, Sebastian had to wonder, quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Finding all these people, performing enough background research, contacting them all, and providing the mansion, it's security, and all the resources within. This "Morpheus" could not have done it all. Not on his own, and he certainly didn't seem like the sort with that kind of money. No... there were others to be sure. Sebastian was confident in that guess. The wards around the building were not this man's, he figured, which meant either contracted help, or that this "Morpheus" was guided by the hand of an unknown puppeteer. One unknown to Sebastian, but also one he wanted to find out more about. In due time, he'd learn who was behind all this. Subtlety...

"So, I don't doubt that "Morpheus" already had an individual in mind." he continued, before casting a glance in the direction of the man with piercing eyes who decided to take on the name of a Dream God. "Don't you, Morpheus? Other candidates you had in mind, who you are currently thinking of contacting?"

Powerfist

"Thank you for repeating what i'd said moments ago, to me. That is going to save so much time."

Everyone

Before he gets to the door, Mace stops.

"Morpheus, I owe you an apology. I misjudged you at the beginning; I was looking at you from a very skewed perspective, and I didn't give you the chance to prove yourself. You have definitely proven yourself as a good leader for this group. I think they will succeed with you guiding them."

Mace then continues to the door.
    Morpheus catches Maces eye one last time, and nods a gesture of respect. Something in his body language tells Mace that Morpheus is hoping they will meet again sometime. Once mace leaves he addresses everyone else, after patting Oaf comfortingly on the shoulder.

"I do have several names, potential candidates I'd put aside in favor of the choices I made." he says evenly indicating the lot of you "Choices I feel more strongly about after this successful adventure."

For now though we should celebrate our small victory, and take stock of our situation, while I have taken steps to insure you are fully equipped, I'm certain our two resident geniuses would like to tinker and upgrade, and I imagine oaf would like to get in touch with his friend."

As he says this he nods to Sebastian who is fairly confident that Morpheus has some insight into his thoughts but if their benefactor does he does not mention it at this time.

"I thought you should know something as an aside." he mentions as he raises a small remote which causes the TV to switch channels to Bay Cities Channel 2 news where a young reporter Abby Battle, reports from the hospital.

"In the latest news the Vigilant has recovered from his injuries with remarkable speed, Hospital and Aegis Authorities report that a series of attempts were made on the heroes life last night but authorities were able to apprehend the culprits, including an arrest made of the Infamous Wrecking crew mere hours ago. The Vigilant had only this to say." the scene cuts to the Vigilant who looks a little pale but otherwise healthier then they had seen him prior.

"I was ina bad way there for a bit, but my life was saved by some real heroes." he pauses looking thoughtful "Not sure I'll ever be able to thank them all but I hope to one day, until then I'll be getting back to my own work as soon as I can." he gives his world famous smile and thumbs up which has become his trademark before the scene returns to the reporter who closes the report. A follow up report seems to show the hospital having a near miraculous rise in the number of cured and healthy patients, something Sebastian cant help but smirk at.

"Make no mistake, you have done a good thing today." Morpheus nods at Portia who follows him out of the room as he gives all of you a warm smile and nod of appreciation.

--ooOoo--

Elsewhere on a series of islands in the Atlantic ocean in a tall tower abuzz with activity as drones and robots and people swarm over it constructing what appears to be an enormous web around the structure. Inside it a man in dark black/brown armor snarls viciously as he puts a fist through a monitor showing the same report.

A woman in a dark body suit with red hair and a red hourglass on her chest cocks her head to the side slightly as she smirks "I take it they didn't kill him?"

The man rounds on her his helmeted heads glowing red eyes fixing on the woman who returns his stair without a hint of fear, as he growls. "All of them did, I should have sent you instead."

A pair of young women with similar looks one blond one black haired giggle nearby, while an enormous man nearly nine feet tall unwinds himself from a specially designed chai that supports his enormous weight.

The door slides open before anyone can say anything revealing a bespectacled man wearing an odd silver backpack.

"Doctor..." The armored man sneers slightly "How is construction proceeding on the web?"

"Why do you ask me foolish questions?" the man sneers back "We are still sorely lacking in vital components, however the infrastructure is proceeding apace, of course we are forced into interminable delays because of the need to take cover when enemy satellites fly overhead."

"Why don't you just shoot them down doc?" the blond woman sneers causing a giggle from her brunette sister and the be-spectacled man to round on them furiously. "Because it would draw attention you vacuous brained twit!" he roars the rebuke causing the two to snap to their feet, razor sharp blades snapping out of gauntleted housings. Meanwhile the silver backpack on the mans back unfolds eight long legs with nasty tips on them which point at the two women menacingly.

"ENOUGH!!" the armored man roars "Save your bickering, this failure was bad enough Doctor; Z force was your creation and they bare this failure." he snarls implying that the doctor bares this as well.

"We move forward for now, my vengeance against that fool Vigilant can wait, soon all the world well bow to me." he states imperiously as he turns to the window to look out over a wide square where thousands of men and women in black armor, stand beside spider legged tanks, drones and robots of various sizes, and a host of women dressed in red and purple. All lethal weapons of the armies at his command.

"So says Lord Recluse."

To be Continued

Good job guys that's the end of the prologue

everyone gets 2xp and a hero point that carries over into the next chapter which will begin soon.
    Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

OPA Belta

Uplift
    Back in his workshop, Uplift was working on repairs and upgrades for the villain Laser’s armour. He was keeping up the appearance of being semi-retired and he liked Laser as he had some professionalism, though unrepentant for his actions. Of course, he liked to talk shop and wouldn’t shut up, which made him a great resource for getting info from without him realising.

“You’ve been quiet in the system recently. Rumour had it you’d completely retired.” Laser’s voice was nasally, which is why the helmet modulated his voice into something more intimidating. He stood at one of the monitors, drinking a cup of coffee from a Hello Kitty mug. Oaf had given it as a present, so he didn’t have the heart to pitch it out.

“Well, after the incident with the Corrupted, I don’t feel comfortable with working for organisations at the moment,” Uplift adjusted some circuits in the right arm, “happy just to work for my reliable clients.” He tested a circuit and a blast of flame burst out of a nozzle at the end, engulfing a target, leaving it blackened. He sniffed and turned back to the circuits “not hot enough,” he said, adding a few new circuits.

“No complaints from me, the Corrupted are whackjobs and most people won’t touch their bounty, which leaves other whackjobs being the ones after you. Of course, the field does seem to be getting narrower at the moment for the old reliables; Viper is licking its wounds after that recent debacle, AIM keep losing facilities to that ex-scientist of theirs and nobody has come up with a proper replacement for Fabricators Inc., but we seem to be getting some new players. Not sure I’ve got a reading on them yet though.” Laser did like to go on a bit. ”I’ll let you know if any of them seem reliable and not a bunch of raving loonies.

Uplift grunted, a typical response from him when he was listening, but didn’t have a lot to say.

“Talking of debacles, be glad you stayed away from the Vigilant job. I was in Japan at the time with a few Geishas, you know what I mean, but it sounded like a complete clusterfuck. Gunning for a guy in the hospital is low at the best of times, but hiring thugs to go after your target because you’re too lazy to finish off what you started."

“Heard the Wrecking Crew got their butts kicked by somebody new.” Uplift said, adjusting the circuit a last time, this time incinerating the target completely.

“Just what we need, more heroes,” Laser rolled his eyes.

"Heard anything on them? Weren’t on the news and nobody has any footage.”

“Nah, the crew had their brains rattled, such as they are. Barely remember their own names I’ve heard.”

“No change there then,” Uplift smiled, remembering scrambling Piledriver’s brain cell, “where next for you?”

“Hunting some assassin that has gone rogue from …. Did a hero in and then bolted. They ain’t happy about it; rumour is that she has flipped to the other side. Want some help tracking her down before they eliminate her themselves.”

“Cash or charge?” Uplift held up a card reader, which accessed the black market cards that were becoming vogue. He thought that this person might be a suitable candidate for the team.

Ooc
    Slipped an inactive tracer into his armour as part of the repairs. Won’t do anything unless I activate it and appears to be part of the backup circuitry.

Skill mastery Technology roll +18 = 28

OPA Belta

Portia
    HP : 2
    Condition : practicing

Lian Mei - Portia - was in the combat simulator, trying to perfect another attack.

Her battle with her former student had brought a problem to her attention - her family's signature attack, the Disrupting Touch - was dangerous to use heroically.

In the 'old days' when she worked with Arachnos, she'd stay hidden from view and analyze her intended target. Then rush in, strike with the Disrupting Touch, then use her stealth to seemingly disappear. The focus needed to use the Touch left her with tunnel vision and vulnerable for a few moments, but if her opponents could not FIND her to hit her back, it wasn't much of a drawback. And they would usually be incapacitated or dying from the strike.

But in a fight where she had to stay put to protect someone, that drawback could be fatal. Especially against folk who use poisoned spikes routinely.

So she'd spent over an hour throwing two-fingered jabs into a target, at very precise spots in a very particular order.

She knew where to strike; the hard part was having the dexterity and speed to hit the spots properly with enough force to work without breaking her own fingers.

True, her Zhi Zhu Quan ('spider fist') style had some routines to toughen the striking fingers and develop speed and accuracy, but not as many as the Snake or Ten Thousand Bee stylists did. But she would make them work.

After practice, she returned to her quarters to meditate and rebalance herself. On a shelf were two wood carvings - one of her in a fighting stance, and another that looked like an abstract animal of some sort. Gifts from Oaf, and the only two items on the shelf - Mei didn't get many gifts in her former line of work.

Re: Going Rogue: Animal Hijinks and Murder

Animal Hijinks and Murder

Chapter 1

A month later the group has spent some time working together, and while still awkward at times for the most part they function well. Morpheus has kept a firm but gentle hand on the teams respective wheel but for the most part remains apart from them letting them guide their own actions.

During this time Portia and Up-lift engage in a little downtime namely chaperoning Oaf on a trip to the Bay City zoo and wildlife park, an expansion of a the original San Jose zoo expanded during the rebuilding of the city into Bay City with expanded enclosures and scenic views in the south hills between San Jose and Morgan Hill.

The sight of a majestic Lion named Ranna, roaring loudly enough to silence the entire zoo brought out the childlike wonder in the giant Oaf, who enjoyed his sojourn through the zoon.

Meanwhile Powerfist worked with Morpheus on getting the mansions systems and Laboratory more to her liking. Sebastian remained mysterious but showing up as he deemed fit which was his want.

This did not mean the shadow mage was idle, Darkholme had passed on warnings of troubling sensations in the aether, and worse something had actively tried to invade its territory, the stench of the infernal sorcerers-- Sebastian was almost positive it was the same one form earlier-- was all over the attempt. this was getting personal for the master of Darkholme, and he intended to see those responsible punished appropriately.

--ooOoo--

Later the next day finds a happy Oaf watching an afternoon television show while the others engage in their business. Its during this show that a news report breaks in as Jenny Landry the pretty anchor at Bay City news channel 2 says.

"Authorities report that the Lion named Ranna has vanished from its enclosure under mysterious circumstances."

"We go to Amanda Groves on the scene at the Bay City wildlife park; Amanda?" Jenny Landry says segueing to Amanda.

"Yes Jenny, were here on scene." the pretty brunette begins "Where authorities have declined to comment as yet on how the enormous predator escaped its secure enclosure. Officers on scene suspect theft of the animal which seems to have disappeared around midnight but would not confirm as the investigation is still ongoing." she explains as some background information, and interviews with a zoo official play before it goes back to Jenny in the studio.

"Police are advising folks in the surrounding area to stay indoors, and remain vigilant for any sighting of the Lion. If you see it do not attempt to trap or confront the lion but call police or animal control immediately at the following number shown at the bottom of the screen." Jenny finishes adding "We'll stay on top of this breaking news story as more details come in."

the news breaks off and returns to Oafs show.

Sorry for the delay guys thanks for the patience

reactions interactions as you will.

Hound will be joining us soon
    Last edited by catsi563; 07-23-2015 at 11:40 AM.
    Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

OPA Belta

Oaf
    HP: 2
    Condition: Getting it....slowly

Oaf is sitting watching his favorite kids show, Kid vs Kat, when it is interrupted with the news cast

"Huh! Someone was kidnapped? Maybe Oaf should look into it..... Hey thats the Zoo Oaf were in the other day!! Oaf liked that, the lion was really cute, but Oaf can't recall its name.... Oh yeah Ranna!" he says and snaps his fingers

"WAIT!!! RANNA HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED?!!" The behemoth suddenly becomes a mass of activity, running out of the television room he starts to look for anyone else to help him.

"Team!....TEAM!! Oaf have a kidnapping. Oaf need to go get Ranna back. Some monsters have kidnapped Ranna!. Hurry Oaf need to get them before they can do anything to her!"
    If anyone is in the building or heck maybe anything in 1 block radius have no doubt that Oaf is rather excited or upset.

OPA Belta

Uplift

He was hard at work; he had repaired the van, helped with the upgrade and had brought the mole miner over, though he had to explain to Oaf that it wasn't a digger toy. Installing tremor sensors to warn of tunnelling from below, the mansion shook as Oaf shouted, causing him to bang his head.

Walking up to the lounge, he saw an agitated Oaf, as he rubbed the lump on his head.

"Okay, could you start from the beginning?" Uplift sighed, "and not too loud as my head hurts."