[Chronicle of Sorcery] Sorcery & Destiny

Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

[Chronicle of Sorcery] Sorcery & Destiny

Post by Carriker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 am

Hey, folks. Just wanted to throw in another sidebar from the work-in-progress. It's very nearly done being written at this point. Though it still needs to see its way through to editing, art direction and layout, we're definitely in the home stretch.

To celebrate being able to see the finish line, I thought I'd throw another one of the sidebars from the Chronicle of Sorcery manuscript in, one that gives a good look at how we're making this system work within context of a low-fantasy system. Enjoy.

<sidebar>
<hsb>Sorcery & Destiny

The Chronicle System's use of a Destiny Point mechanic already provides a way for players (if not characters) to affect the outcome of play. Within this context, all sorcery does is provide a way for characters to do the same, albeit within a distinct occult context. To that end, the sorcery mechanics in Chronicle of Sorcery also utilizes Destiny Points as a "fuel" for the magics it invokes.

Though most Techniques have some kind of very basic benefit that is free or simply available through the use of an appropriate Ability test, the true power in sorcerous actions is only available through the use of Destiny Points. As with standard uses of Destiny, some effects require the simple expenditure of Destiny, while great feats of magic require that it be actually burnt.

Because the purchase of sorcery already requires the investiture of Destiny into the appropriate Benefits, many of those Benefits also provide points of what is called "Sorcerous Destiny." These points act as Destiny Points for the sole purpose of fueling acts of magic. They cannot be used in any of the other ways Destiny is used: those characters that come to rely on the power of magic to transform the world around them often find that the more power they gain, the less natural fate seems to favor them.
</sidebar>
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons

uncleho
Bystander
Bystander

Re: [Chronicle of Sorcery] Sorcery & Destiny

Post by uncleho » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks for posting this, I'm excited to see the final product!

omegonthesane
Cohort
Cohort

Post by omegonthesane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:07 am

Is it wg that my first thought is of whether an evil sorcerer has the option of sacrificing something worth about as much as a Destiny Point to work their magic? Such as burning alive a person who has Destiny Points remaining instead of burning one of their own, or offering up a Tertiary or Secondary Character or (for slightly less evil characters) an expensive animal in place of spending a DP.

vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Post by vonpenguin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:18 am

I would if nothing else allow it as a houserule, or perhaps a custom benefit to permit it. The difficulty capturing someone with a load of destiny points to spend on not dieing + the RP penalties should be enough of a deterrent that it won't happen all the time.

Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Post by Carriker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:48 am

There will definitely be rules for others using their Destiny in order to power magical rites, often through a symbolic sacrifice of some kind, yes.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons

Tao Jones
Dabbler
Dabbler

Post by Tao Jones » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:26 am

Glad to have you back, Joe!

Regarding sacrifice, I could even see a house rule that allows malevolent sorcerers to utilize the Destiny of other characters to power their rituals. Power in a king's blood and all that. Seems like it could explain a situation like Melisandre and Stannis.