NPC Character & NPC House Sharing for Narrators

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!
jaypinjp
Bystander
Bystander

NPC Character & NPC House Sharing for Narrators

Post by jaypinjp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:41 am

Hi all. Had a comment and a few questions here:

As a SIFRP Narrator, one of the most time consuming tasks (for me) is the creation of NPC Houses and NPC Characters. I'm pretty slow when it comes to writing the character personality/traits and rolling up stat blocks. For someone who is starting to run an online Sandbox-style game, creating 25+ NPC characters and a handful of NPC houses for the game is daunting. Does anyone else have the same issue?

(FYI - I own a few of the sourcebooks, plus the GoT edition and regularly use the NPC's inside, but am looking for more.)

So my questions are:

1. Are there any sites or live docs with a pool of NPC's that include stat blocks?
2. If no, would this be something that other Narrators might find useful?

I was thinking it would be cool to have some sort of living document(s) where people could add their own created NPC Characters and Houses in an effort to save some prep time and discover what others had created and used in their own games. I'd be willing to get things rolling by setting up the document and include some of my past NPC/Houses as long as we had a handful of others also contributing.

If so, what might be the best way to host this kind of document and organize it? (Character/House level/type, what details to include, etc.)

vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Re: NPC Character & NPC House Sharing for Narrators

Post by vonpenguin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 am

I would create a wiki on a fee site, possibly something like epic words or obsidian portal to host something like this. I personally love making houses and npcs so if you give me some basic guidelines of realm and power I can roll some for you.

jaypinjp
Bystander
Bystander

Post by jaypinjp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:13 am

vonpenguin wrote:I would create a wiki on a fee site, possibly something like epic words or obsidian portal to host something like this. I personally love making houses and npcs so if you give me some basic guidelines of realm and power I can roll some for you.
Awesome! Very nice of you to offer. :D

I have an Ascendant Membership on Obsidian Portal. I'll set something up tonight. Hopefully we can get more Narrators involved.

Canarr
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Canarr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:00 am

I'd be interested in joining such an endeavor. While the stat blocks aren't that much of a time drain for me (I just love rolling dice...), I find establishing backgrounds and history for both Houses and NCs extremely time-consuming.

There's just one small roadblock for me in this: my campaign is in German, so consequently, all my Houses and NCs are also in German. I'd be perfectly willing to upload them on a shared site, but the language barrier might be a problem for most...

rikch
Bystander
Bystander

Post by rikch » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 am

it's a great idea! where do you want to collect them? here? or in some site? i have 2 houses with npc ready.

Baldrick
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Baldrick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:27 am

You can have my campaign House if you want to use it, and if anyone creates an online collection of such houses, feel free to post it there too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/674 ... 0House.pdf

talavan
Bystander
Bystander

Post by talavan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:10 pm

This is a great idea. I would participate. I plan to start my campaign in dec. 2014. So dont expect my tribute right away. And i need to translate them.
@baldric: nice work! will definetly have use for it.

Wontkins
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Wontkins » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:13 am

I'll contribute my NPCs. I even have an Obsidian Portal account already. Can I get a link to the game page you set up?

Saap
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Saap » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 am

I would probably contribute but there are two problems. First same problem as Canarr. Second problem is that my group destroys everything that just looks like a Adventure hook with passion. So in most cases I need to invent my NPCs on the fly.