ideas for House Fortunes adventures?

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!
Ileryios of Braavos
Bystander
Bystander

ideas for House Fortunes adventures?

Post by Ileryios of Braavos » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 am

Like, if you roll boon for example, is there any suggestions for that category of house fortune? I have trouble coming up with ideas on the spot for house fortunes. *-*

vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Re: ideas for House Fortunes adventures?

Post by vonpenguin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 am

Generally I wouldn't try to come up with something "on the spot". A fortune could come into play at any point in the month, and you can always milk your players for ideas by asking about their plans. "I think we should increase patrols" could inspire a adventure fighting bandits and routing out smugglers and raise law for example, or lower power if they do really poorly. Without knowing more about what kind of game/house you've got it would be hard for us to really give good suggestions. If you need time ask for fourtune rolls at the end of a session, or get your player who would normally make them to give permission for you to stockpile a few. If you have an idea what's in store you can craft a narrative round that.

Maosn25
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Maosn25 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:50 am

So what happens when they plan on raising law and have a successful roll, but roll very poorly when they fight the bandits and thus fail to get rid of them? Now you've got to come up with a way to make the law increase still work that doesn't render their failure pointless. The point being, be careful with how you plan any adventers that already have predetermined outcomes.

vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Post by vonpenguin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:12 pm

Shift the increase to something completely unrelated? "Well at least your farmers had an unusually good month!"

Maosn25
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Maosn25 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Yeah, but then your altering the outcome of their house fortune roll. Some players may be cool with that. Others may take that to mean that house fortune rolls aren't really significant because it all depends on how things play out. The extreme conclusion might be they stop house fortune rolls and instead just role play going around and doing things to increase their holdings in some manner. Not neccesarally a bad thing. Just a different "mechanic" entirely regarding increasing a houses stats.

Baldrick
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Baldrick » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33 pm

As a suggestion, why not allow an adventure to act as a modifier to a future House Fortunes roll? For instance, you could tell the players that there is a gang of outlaws robbing travellers on the road going through the realm, and they have been ordered by the lord of the house to find these bandits and bring them to justice. Depending on how successful they are, the next House Fortunes roll will have a -3 to +3 modifier (or whatever range you see fit). This would mean rooting out/failing to root out bandits would have a similar effect to having a godswood holding (i.e. it would act as a positive or negative modifier to House Fortunes for that month).

omegonthesane
Cohort
Cohort

Post by omegonthesane » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:58 am

Baldrick wrote:As a suggestion, why not allow an adventure to act as a modifier to a future House Fortunes roll? For instance, you could tell the players that there is a gang of outlaws robbing travellers on the road going through the realm, and they have been ordered by the lord of the house to find these bandits and bring them to justice. Depending on how successful they are, the next House Fortunes roll will have a -3 to +3 modifier (or whatever range you see fit). This would mean rooting out/failing to root out bandits would have a similar effect to having a godswood holding (i.e. it would act as a positive or negative modifier to House Fortunes for that month).
This seems like the best method of tying in actual adventures to house fortunes. Though, I'd be hesitant to allow a -3 from trying and failing to deal with bandits, simply because players are generally risk-averse if it isn't the final session. Maybe a -1 from ignoring them entirely and a +0 for failure, to encourage the players to at least try.

vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Post by vonpenguin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:44 am

Maosn25 wrote:Yeah, but then your altering the outcome of their house fortune roll. Some players may be cool with that. Others may take that to mean that house fortune rolls aren't really significant because it all depends on how things play out. The extreme conclusion might be they stop house fortune rolls and instead just role play going around and doing things to increase their holdings in some manner. Not neccesarally a bad thing. Just a different "mechanic" entirely regarding increasing a houses stats.
That's not really changing the outcome. The roll only determines if it is an increase or decrease, and by how much. In fact by the rules the players shouldn't even get to pick what is increased. It's common courtesy GMs extend to the players but there's not actually anything to support it. When I ran a game I tended to have them roll at the start of the month, tell me outlines of goals, work out anything that would directly tie in, and hand out the actual increase at the end of the month (Not like they could invest it until then anyway).

Maosn25
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Maosn25 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 pm

I was miss remembering then. In that case, your idea would work. I also like the idea of the modifiers mentioned. Specifically, the less severe ones Omegonthesane suggested. I've dealt with the same risk-aversion he(she?) has. I'm sure every GM has actually. It's never worse than after they finally take a big risk and fail. Players can practically turn their characters into hermits then. Not always, but I've seen it.

Kajani
Booster
Booster

Post by Kajani » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:32 am

We have several times combined house actions like investing money (wealth) to increase the power in some way (hiring soldiers/ build ships, "upgrade" existing units with better weapons and protection). Mainly this mean that the players had to deal with problems like negotiations and other intrigues (winning other lords to allow them to recruit, examining recruits that they buy not rotten eggs instead of potential reliable men and officers) etc. In most of this cases social qualities were most important. Although we made it so that they could influence smaller events (a market day, trade-negotiations with neighbours etc.). All that result in case of success in a small amount of extra money or in a decrease of benefits, but of course the sole house-fortune-roll did still matter. But they had the chance to increase or decrease success or failure, in a amount of perhaps 25 % or so.

Ser Ulfric
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Ser Ulfric » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:41 pm

WE actually use two house fortune rolls - one for the lord or steward - whoever is in charge.
The second roll is for things that they cannot Control. Heavy Rains, storms, sickness, fires burning down villages, etc etc.

We have made own lists of course.

Tendaros
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Tendaros » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:45 am

Just a quick little thing from my campaign.

My group rolled the 'Blessing' House Fortune and increased their Wealth. Their House is located in the Cape of Eagles, so they have frequent Ironborn problems. With that in mind, I had House Mallister(think Seagard) decide to give them a little monetary thank you. For the 'adventure', I'm planning on having them travel to Seagard to thank House Mallister, and there might be some political maneuvering and a small jousting tourney, combined with some uninvited guests from a rival house.