Valyrian weapons

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!
jelliejones
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Valyrian weapons

Post by jelliejones » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Only the greatest weaponsmiths can reforge swords from existing Valyrian steel, but the secret of creating such an alloy was apparently lost with Valyria, making those remaining weapons highly treasured and extremely rare.

Thanatos911
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Thanatos911 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Just because more then one exists doesn't make it not rare. If everyone had one then it wouldn't be rare. Take a 1959 Ford Truck, In 1959 Ford made lots of these Vehicles, but in 2014 how many of these vehicles still exist and how many people still own them today. Can you still buy one sure if you find a person that wants to part with it. Rare is a term based on availabilty nothing more. Original Roman swords are rare, but in the days of the Roman Empire there where millions of these blades made, but you would be very hard pressed to find one today and own an original roman blade that was authentic. Another example is a fragment of a meteorite lots of them fall from the sky all the time but few, people own them which makes them very rare and valuable, same with the anything that is hard to acquire and can't be made today. The fact that you can't just go out and purchase a Valyrian blade or hove a smith make you one makes it rare in every sense of the world. The fact that the Metal that was used to create the weapons is long gone makes them even more rare yet. So if you don't want Valyrian blades in your game then just don't allow them.

/steps off his soap box.

omegonthesane
Cohort
Cohort

Post by omegonthesane » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:17 pm

jelliejones wrote:Only the greatest weaponsmiths can reforge swords from existing Valyrian steel, but the secret of creating such an alloy was apparently lost with Valyria, making those remaining weapons highly treasured and extremely rare.
The secret of forging Valyrian steel is an example TN 21 Knowledge check, which my maester with Knowledge Focus (Magic) was shockingly easily able to make. This led to a discussion with the GM in which we agreed that it seemed fair to say "You require 1 dragon" as the big reason why there hasn't been any more Valyrian steel for centuries even if the theory is known and recorded in some obscure texts, but this hasn't been confirmed in the books.

Canarr
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Canarr » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:21 am

omegonthesane wrote:
jelliejones wrote:Only the greatest weaponsmiths can reforge swords from existing Valyrian steel, but the secret of creating such an alloy was apparently lost with Valyria, making those remaining weapons highly treasured and extremely rare.
The secret of forging Valyrian steel is an example TN 21 Knowledge check, which my maester with Knowledge Focus (Magic) was shockingly easily able to make. This led to a discussion with the GM in which we agreed that it seemed fair to say "You require 1 dragon" as the big reason why there hasn't been any more Valyrian steel for centuries even if the theory is known and recorded in some obscure texts, but this hasn't been confirmed in the books.
I always took that example as the secret of reforging Valyrian steel, like Tywin had done with Ice. That's the reason why only a few smiths are even able to work with the steel - well, that, and the fact that they're not very likely to ever get the opportunity to try it in the first place...

The forging of Valyrian steel - as in, making entirely new steel - has been lost mostly due to the loss of magic in the world; at least, that's how I always understood it. With the return of the dragons, it might be possible again - but I guess, "We know how to do it, we just need a dragon..." works just as well as saying, "No, you can't!". ;)

omegonthesane
Cohort
Cohort

Post by omegonthesane » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:44 am

Canarr wrote:
omegonthesane wrote:
I always took that example as the secret of reforging Valyrian steel, like Tywin had done with Ice. That's the reason why only a few smiths are even able to work with the steel - well, that, and the fact that they're not very likely to ever get the opportunity to try it in the first place...

The forging of Valyrian steel - as in, making entirely new steel - has been lost mostly due to the loss of magic in the world; at least, that's how I always understood it. With the return of the dragons, it might be possible again - but I guess, "We know how to do it, we just need a dragon..." works just as well as saying, "No, you can't!". ;)
We kind of thought that too, but the GM had set a list of conditions that had to be achieved for a dragon's egg to hatch, and we managed to meet all of them through blind luck...

...which is admittedly a bit of a special case - he decided that Aerys' burning of Rickard was doing double duty as a failed attempt to hatch a dragon.

ceranko
Cohort
Cohort

Post by ceranko » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 am

I remember reading Westeros had some two hundred Valyrian weapons while Essos had a few thousand spread out over the continent. I have read the books numerous times. What is rare about them are the spells that make the swords magical. Its a forgotten art. Although Ice was reforged Im assuming the spells are imbued once the steel is forged. But Tywin knew of a Smith who could reforge them in Qohor. Im guessing once the blade is made the spells are permanent. I believe they use dragonglass obsidian powder for the swords carbon therefore it makes the swords deadly against undead and Others.