Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

True20 Rebirth Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True20 Rebirth Project

What if as a community we take the True20 system and give it an overhaul..some updates...and barrowed ideas from other games...and make a new open source game system..

What do you say?

Who wants to tinker and build a new edition together...

Re: True20 Rebirth Project

The idea's interesting in principle, but what specifically is wrong with True20 as it stands? There are a bunch of alternative rules on the old forums (hit points instead of the wound system etc). Also, I'm not sure what licensing issues the community might run into!
    [url=http://vaelorn.wordpress.com]Vaelorn's Dragon Age Blog[/url] including [url=http://vaelorn.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/the-power-of-the-mind-psionics-in-age/]AGE Psionics[/url] and [url=http://vaelorn.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/age-of-conan-modification-draft-version/]AGE of Conan[/url]!

Comment

Originally posted by Vaelorn View Post
      The idea's interesting in principle, but what specifically is wrong with True20 as it stands?
      • More streamlined wound system. I liked the fan-hack that had lethal and non-lethal damage use the same check boxes on a single track, but IMO the doc wasn 't clear enough on how it intended it to be used.
      • More effective Defense stat. Attacks pretty much become auto-hits unless a target character is spec'd high in DEX. AGE inherited the same feature, but damage isn't nearly so lethal with it. On the other hand, Defense was a bit too much of a brick wall in the original T20 Blue Rose. Something that falls somewhere between would be better.
      • Less crunchy grappling system. Something along the lines of a lighter version of the CMB and CMD system in Pathfinder could work.
      • A Bestiary that isn't soley dedicated to the Fantasy genre. Also rules for simpler, quick to roll up mooks would be helpful.

Also, I'm not side what licensing issues the community might run into!
      True20 was derived from the D&D 3e SRD and the Open License Agreement 1.0 is quoted right in the CRB, so I doubt that's much of a problem.

Comment

Ah ok! Fair enough!

I don't remember the streamlined wounds hack, but it does sound interesting.

If you want to kick some ideas around I'd be happy to (try and!) contribute!
        [url=http://vaelorn.wordpress.com]Vaelorn's Dragon Age Blog[/url] including [url=http://vaelorn.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/the-power-of-the-mind-psionics-in-age/]AGE Psionics[/url] and [url=http://vaelorn.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/age-of-conan-modification-draft-version/]AGE of Conan[/url]!

Comment

I had to mess around with True20 when I put together the sample adventure for my sister's novel, and while I'm not a huge fan of OGL/d20 overall, I did always thing T20 had a lot of really great ideas blended in. I'd be willing to poke at it with people.

Comment

I too would be willing to kick around the notion of Rejuvenating True20. Its a great system as is, but with some extra flair it might be great.

Comment

I'm actually of the opinion that rules don't really need any extra flair. IMO there's already a fair amount of crunch in the CRB and heaps of extra flair in the 3 different role Handbooks. There lots of extra flair in the additional setting chapters in the True20 Adventure Roleplaying Rev. Ed version of the CRB too. And there's some decent flair even in the pocket edition CRB that I rarely saw utilized, such as Virtue & Vices and Conviction points. In some sense that was a prelude to the excellent backgrounds and inspiration dice in D&D 5e.

What I feel the rules need, is to be made lighter and more streamlined. In particular I found the wound system to be potentially too lethal and crunchy for many players tastes. Having to maintain the 2 tracks was always a point of confusion, even if most of the damage being dealt was lethal. I'd be in favor of just making it a much more simplified track like Savage Worlds or other RPGs with wound tracks. The Grappling and other hand-to-hand play mechanics are too crunchy with too many rolls and considerations - look really to be an incorporation of the confusing mess of D&D 3e. There could be a case for simplifying adept casting rules too. I like that they can choose the mental ability for the casting bonus and save, but that does intro a few too many options for some players. The constant and decent chance at acquiring fatigue was also a put-off for some players. IMO both of those should be in a chapter on advanced/optional rules.

Otherwise much of what there is good, like a more consolidated and effective skill lists with no class/role biased nonsense. I also think implementing some role-restricted feats was a good idea and can see where that might have had a bit of a rub on talents in AGE. The Heroic Paths in some of the handbooks and Freeport T20 were excellent and I think having some heroic paths right in the CRB would have really benefited it.
              Last edited by kronovan; 17th September 2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Replying to subscribe and see where this goes.
                ZENITH COMICS: BE HEROIC!
                Homepage Facebook Twitter Instagram DeviantArt YouTube

Comment

better just to collaborate on a setting and get playing. the more you play a game and get people to play with you, the more it makes the rounds!

Comment

My personal opinion is that the features that made Tr20 attractive to some people are exactly the ones that put off others, and that there's not much room to move from its current structure without losing as many people as you gain.

Comment

I am just getting the True20 Combat system down. I like T20 in general and want to use it for my generic system, for a while at least. :P I think it has a lot to offer. I am interested to see if anyone here would be interested in getting in touch to talk about this project, share some of their hacks, and or get a new player for Skype/Roll20 games. I hope some of the contributors to this thread are still using True20. Thanks!!!

~Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdreamer View Post
                        My personal opinion is that the features that made Tr20 attractive to some people are exactly the ones that put off others, and that there's not much room to move from its current structure without losing as many people as you gain.
                        Pretty much. I ended up using Call of Cthulhu d20 as my base for d20 gaming.

Comment

Working...
                        X