Running Freeport as a Demi Plane?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otog
    started a topic Running Freeport as a Demi Plane?

Running Freeport as a Demi Plane?

I am starting up a Pathfinder game using Freeport. The idea is that Freeport is a place out of space and time, playing up the Cthulhu aspects and portraying the Serpents Teeth as islands as a place for misfits and those lost at sea. The goal then for the players would be to find a way back home to Golarion.

I am just curious if anyone else has run Freeport in a similar way? If so, what are the ways you decided to get off the islands and back to the Prime Material? I was thinking that it would be a secret kept by the Sea Lord, the Serpent People, or both.

• timemrick
    replied
    Re: Running Freeport as a Demi Plane?

Originally posted by Otog View Post
    Anything more you could tell me about Mystic Navigators without giving too much away? Are they a guild? Do they answer to the Sea Lord or Captains' Council?
    They're not really common enough to be organized as a guild--at least, there's not anything in the book that explicitly says so. With your idea to put Freeport in a pocket dimension, though, you might want to have the navigators connected somehow to the Freeport's Pilot Guild and/or Wizards' Guild, both of which would have a vested interest in controlling the secrets of travel in and out.
    Originally posted by Otog View Post
    Also curious of how you feel about pulling in aspects from Golarion/Pathfinder? Like I said, I do not yet have possession of the book, but incorporating Serpentfolk seems like a no-brainer as does maybe involving the Aspis Consortium. I like using the Scarzni, so I will definitely be adding them in as well. Playing into the pocket dimension idea, I am kicking around the idea of having a refugee colony of halflings on one of the other islands that was established by former Cheliax slaves and now provides a sanctuary. Far-fetched? Also reading your site in the hope of maybe getting a few more ideas
    From the very beginning, Freeport was designed to be modular, so that GMs could use it with any setting. That's why all references to gods, kingdoms on "the Continent," etc., are kept generic. So by all means, use Golarion to fill in the rest of your world. There are plenty of regions with an active pirate presence, like the Shackles, that would be logical places to approach your secret pocket dimension. (Actually, the Eye of Abednego might be the perfect place to hide the way into Freeport! And might have something to do with it being there in the first place?)

Leave a comment:

• Otog
    replied

Thanks! I am waiting to receive my copy of the Freeport Companion for Pathfinder and definitely leaning towards the latter of the options. I had heard of Mystic Navigators on a podcast (I think the Tome Show?) and I have the older system generic setting book, which I do not think included them. Mainly, I just want to convey to the players that getting to and from Freeport is difficult but not impossible. You just have to have the particular or secret knowledge and skill to do it. Anything more you could tell me about Mystic Navigators without giving too much away? Are they a guild? Do they answer to the Sea Lord or Captains' Council?

Also curious of how you feel about pulling in aspects from Golarion/Pathfinder? Like I said, I do not yet have possession of the book, but incorporating Serpentfolk seems like a no-brainer as does maybe involving the Aspis Consortium. I like using the Scarzni, so I will definitely be adding them in as well. Playing into the pocket dimension idea, I am kicking around the idea of having a refugee colony of halflings on one of the other islands that was established by former Cheliax slaves and now provides a sanctuary. Far-fetched? Also reading your site in the hope of maybe getting a few more ideas
    Last edited by Otog; 02-03-2017, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• timemrick
    replied

Keep in mind that, as written, Freeport relies on its proximity to major trade routes for its success first as a pirate stronghold and later as a semi-legitimate merchantile power. If you hide it away in some sort of pocket dimension that doesn't allow for easy entrance and exit, then you'll need to give some serious thought to how that changes the basic assumptions of the setting.

You might want to look at the adventure Hell in Freeport for some ideas on that front. In that adventure, a strange echo of the city exists on one of the planes of Hell--and it's an even nastier place than the Material Plane original.

You could also make use of one bit of the World of Freeport cosmology that doesn't always get a lot of attention. Before Yig was wounded by the summoning of the Unspeakable One's avatar, his coils ensnared many worlds. The present-day World of Freeport remains more of a loose network of pieces of worlds than a single discreet planet--the farther you sail away from the Serpent's Teeth, the less dependable mundane navigation becomes. Mystic navigators are needed to reach the more distant lands and return from them without getting lost. These experts in arcane travel eventually learn how to travel between the planes, so their skills would be in even greater demand if you decide that Freeport isn't part of the Material Plane.

The v.3.5 and Pathfinder Freeport Companions included rules for a mystic navigator prestige class, but sadly, the new Pathfinder edition of Freeport: The City of Adventure did not include it. (I keep hoping that Owen will update it for a future Pathfinder Short Cuts article, but that hasn't happened yet.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X