Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Freeport get its drinking water from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does Freeport get its drinking water from?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a port city and like the look of Freeport. I don't own the book yet but am keen to pick up the new Pathfinder version.

I had a couple of questions though...

First off, where does Freeport get its drinking water from as it doesn't seem to be near a river?

Also, would the city be an OK fit on the Sword Coast of the Forgotten Realms? Maybe between Neverwinter and Waterdeep.

Thank you

Re: Where does Freeport get its drinking water from?

Originally posted by dead View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm looking for a port city and like the look of Freeport. I don't own the book yet but am keen to pick up the new Pathfinder version.

I had a couple of questions though...

First off, where does Freeport get its drinking water from as it doesn't seem to be near a river?

Also, would the city be an OK fit on the Sword Coast of the Forgotten Realms? Maybe between Neverwinter and Waterdeep.

Thank you
    That's actually one of the great mysteries at the moment. Previously, Freeport got it's water from wells as well as rainfall. However, a year or two back, a curse was placed on the island of unknown origin that converts ALL freshwater into saltwater - no matter the origin. So, even magically created water turns to saltwater moments after its creation. Now the city relies off of the Rainmaker's Guild who provide all of the freshwater, but jealously guard the secret of how it's made.

As far as placing Freeport in the Forgotten Realms, the Sword Coast should be fine ... but I would recommend against placing it between Neverwinter and Waterdeep. Freeport is more of a tropical clime, with the island being almost a jungle. But Neverwinter and Waterdeep are a northern clime, and are a lot colder. So, if you want the city near them, be prepared to explain how you get cold weather in one area but tropical heat in the other. From what I've seen of people using Freeport in the realms, they reccomend you place it west of Chult, in the south.

Scott
    In Brightest Day,
    In Duckest Night

Comment

Originally posted by Mach5RR View Post
      That's actually one of the great mysteries at the moment. Previously, Freeport got it's water from wells as well as rainfall. However, a year or two back, a curse was placed on the island of unknown origin that converts ALL freshwater into saltwater - no matter the origin.
      Thanks, Mach5RR. That answers my question. I didn't know about the curse, though. Which supplement/adventure does that happen in?

I agree with your comments about the Forgotten Realms. It's just that I'm looking for a port city to put in between Neverwinter and Waterdeep. I placed a city there once without really thinking about it to run an adventure and now it's set in stone. So, I'm on the look out for a good port city. I might try Pathfinder's Absalom - see if that's any good. (Interestingly enough, Absalom doesn't seem to sit on a river either and it's meant to be many times the size of a normal city - I might ask the same question on the Paizo boards...)

Comment

The Salt Curse is introduced in the new Pathfinder edition of Freeport: The City of Adventure, which moves the timeline ahead 3-4 years from The Pirate's Guide to Freeport. (Backers of the Kickstarter have received the final PDF, and the physical book has been printed and should be available soon.)
        Tim Emrick, Freebooter, Keeper of the Freeport Errata
        Winds of Freeport: my Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
        Time of the Tarrasque: my next Pathfinder campaign (under development).
        Studded Plate: my blog about RPGs, LEGO, and other geeky subjects.
        Thastygliax's Vault: my other gaming pages.

Comment

Working...
        X