Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel Movie Characters and Action Scenes

Hi all,

I was thinking of trying out the Icons system to model the characters and action sequences from the series of MCU Marvel movies. I've used M&M more than Icons and I thought this would be a good opportunity to put the system through its paces. I'd also appreciate input from other Icons fans to see how best to represent what we're seeing in the movies. I'm a big fan of them and I think Icons is the perfect system to run this kind of game.

I’m using Icons Assembled, Icons A-Z (particularly Knacks) and Great Power.

I'll set up an index to the content in the thread.

Builds
    Ant-Man
    Black Panther
    Black Widow
    Captain America
    Crossbones
    Daredevil
    Doctor Strange
    Drax The Destroyer
    Falcon
    Hawkeye
    Hulk
    Iron Man
    Loki
    Rocket
    The Scarlet Witch
    Spider-Man
    Star-Lord
    Thanos
    Thor
    The Vision
    War Machine
    The Wasp
    The Winter Soldier

Action Sequences
    Avengers Assemble
    Loki in Germany
    Thor vs Iron Man
    Battle of New York

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Elevator fight
    The Winter Soldier attacks on the highway

Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Capturing Loki's staff
    Avengers vs Ultron and the Twins
    Iron Man vs Hulk
    Ultron in Transit
    Battle of Sokovia

Captain America: Civil War
    Lagos lab heist
    The Winter Soldier is discovered in Bucharest
    The Winter Soldier escapes from custody
    The big airport fight!

Avengers: Infinity War
    Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian face Dr Strange, Iron Man, Wong, Spider-man and Bruce Banner
    Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight Ambush Vision and the Scarlet Witch
    Fighting Thanos on Titan
    Last edited by bluejay71; 19th December 2018, 03:28 PM. Reason: Building an index for the thread

Re: Marvel Movie Characters and Action Scenes

Ok so here's my first build: the movie version of Sam Wilson (as of The Winter Soldier).

Falcon
    Origin: Trained

Abilities
    Prowess: Fair (4)
    Coordination: Good (5)
    Strength: Good (5)
    Intellect: Average (3)
    Awareness: Fair (4)
    Willpower: Average (3)

Stamina: 8
    Determination: 4

Specialities:
    Aerial Combat (Expert)
    Weapons (Guns)

Powers
    Falcon Flight Harness
    Flight 6

Dual Heavy Pistols
    Blast 5 (Shooting Damage)

Qualities
    Loyal Soldier
    Cool Under Fire
    Seasoned Flier

Build notes
    This is how I envision Sam around The Winter Soldier. You could model his built-in parachute as a Knack or perhaps a DP spend. Personally I'd say a parachute is standard available equipment (although don't tell Rhodey ) I've kept some of his ability scores fairly low so that they can be enhanced either via Specialities (such as Aerial Combat) or through devices (such as his goggles in Civil War). He's not a bad combatant hand to hand but way better with guns. Got to say I liked Falcon in the comics but I really think he's amazing in the Cap movies.

Falcon in Civil War
    Sam adds a few features for Civil War.

Falcon Flight Harness
    Flight 6
    ->Extra: Defensive
    In Civil War it's really noticeable how often Falcon uses his Wings to defend himself. Alternatively this could be modelled as Damage Resistance.
    Also he uses the harness to stunt heatseeking rockets (Blast 6, Burst).

Redeye Goggles
    Ability Increase: Awareness (6)
    He uses the goggles for tracking Rumlow's team through the crowd at the market in Lagos and it felt like this was the best way to model that (although again a Quality could work). They look like they'd be shielded against bursts of light (Dazzle Resistance) but I don't think that is demonstrated anywhere in the movie.

I've been thinking about how I would model Redwing and I've come to the decision that I would simply make him a Quality (as described in Icons A-Z under pets). The main reason is because Redwing is only used in Civil War and is used 5 times: -

1. Scanning the truck with X-Rays (Quality used for Insight) in Lagos
    2. Scanning the building with IR (Quality either gives Insight or perhaps an Advantage which is passed to Cap).
    3. Shooting the guy holding the test tube in the stand off with Black Widow (probably countering Trouble)
    4. Dragging off Spider-man at the airport fight (DP spend to give Spider-man Trouble)
    5. I'm pretty sure Falcon fires Redwing to hit Iron Man in the head. This would either be a Stunt to give a Blasting attack or perhaps even just inflict a Quality (such as disoriented).

Having said that I know we could also model Redwing as a Servant. Maybe something like...

Redwing
    Servant 6 with Sensory Link extra

Prowess: 0
    Strength: Poor (2)
    Coordination: Great (6)

Stamina: 2

Life Support (full life support)
    Flight 4
    Super-senses 2: X-Ray Vision and Infrared Vision
    Stunning 5
    ->Limit: Close range only (poison dart)
    Shrinking 3
    -> Limit: Always on

I like this because it's really detailed but at the same time it's really expensive as a new power and Sam only uses it for the one movie (and not even that often).

Obviously he'll need to drop his Determination a few points to compensate for the extra powers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bluejay71; 31st August 2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Ok next up is movie Cap. Yeah this will be more contentious I'm sure. I'll put some build notes and reasoning at the bottom.

Captain America
      Origin: Transformed

Abilities
      Prowess: Amazing (8)
      Strength: Great (6)
      Intellect: Fair (4)
      Awareness: Good (5)
      Willpower: Great (6)

Stamina: 12
      Determination: 3

Specialities:
      Art: Drawing
      Martial Arts Expert
      Weapons (Shield) Expert
      Military Expert
      Leadership Master

Powers
      Star-Spangled Shield
      Damage Resistance 8
      ->Extra: Ranged

Qualities
      Man Out Of Time
      Super-Soldier Program
      More Than Just A Shield
      I can Do This All Day

Build notes
      Ok so it can be a little tough getting levels just right for Cap. It's tempting to put him very high in a lot of these areas but I'd prefer to boost him with Specialities. Also there has to be a reason to use the Shield and not just his raw strength. I decided to add "More Than Just a Shield" as a quality because the scene where Batroc says "I thought you were more than just a shield" is a textbook example of a bad guy using a hero's Quality to cause Trouble, specifically removing the shield from the fight. On that note, from the action sequences I've looked at it feels like Cap is going to be earning plenty of Determination from being deprived of his shield because he loses it in most fights.

This is basically Cap for most of the contemporary movies he's been in (The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Avengers, Age of Ultron). It doesn't feel like Cap changes much between these movies. For First Avenger he'd have a sidearm (Shooting 4) and his Shield would be much weaker (Damage Resistance 5 and no Ranged extra).

For Avengers: Infinity War, initially I'd remove the shield completely. Then for the battle in Wakanda I'd add back shield but remove the Ranged extra.

EDIT: Thanks to Talison I updated the character sheet to add Art as a speciality.
      Last edited by bluejay71; 31st August 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

And now here is The Black Widow, another character that works so well in the movies.

Black Widow

Abilities
        Prowess: Great (6)
        Strength: Fair (4)
        Intellect: Good (5)
        Willpower: Good (5)

Stamina: 9
        Determination: 4

Specialities:
        Athletics
        Drive
        Investigation
        Linguist
        Martial Arts
        Stealth Expert
        Weapons (Guns)

Powers
        Black Widow weaponry
        Gadgets 5
        ->Extra: Arsenal
        ->Limit: Weapons only
        Stunning 5
        ->Limit: Close range only, this is always available as either the Widow's Bite or Taser Discs.
        Other gadgets often used include: -
        Garotte
        Affliction 5
        Flash Grenades
        Dazzle 5
        ->Extra: Burst

Sidearm
        Blast 4 (Shooting)

Qualities
        Russian Spy
        Red in my ledger
        Seductive Assassin

Build notes
        I've decided that it's probably better to simply eyeball these up quickly and start running up some sequences instead of getting bogged down in details. Having rewatched the movies I realised it was worth giving Nat Gadgets to represent the various weapons she uses. I went back and forth on her Stunning power. In the end I decided it is close range only because she really can’t use it at much distance at all.

This is Black Widow as she is in most of the films (Iron Man 2, Avengers, The Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron and Civil War). For Infinity War I'd say she also has a Strike 5 bashing weapon (her fighting sticks) and maybe even light body armour.
        Last edited by bluejay71; 31st August 2018, 12:32 PM. Reason: Changed Stunning power

Comment

Weird, seems I got a double post. I'll use this for the Soldiers we see with The Winter Soldier.

Paramilitary Forces

Abilities
          Prowess: Fair (4)
          Coordination: Average (3)
          Strength: Fair (4)
          Awareness: Average (3)

Stamina: 7
          Determination: n/a

Specialities:
          Martial Arts
          Military
          Weapons (Guns)

They are typically using assault rifles (Shooting 5).

Build notes
          One thing I'm going to spend time playing around with is whether to use these 'full' or go with the Minions option (Icons Assembled p42).
          Last edited by bluejay71; 22nd August 2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Now the bad guy for the first sequence, The Winter Soldier.

The Winter Soldier

Abilities
            Prowess: Amazing (8)
            Willpower: Great (6)

Stamina: 12

Specialities:
            Martial Arts
            Weapons (Guns) Expert
            Military
            Stealth Expert

Powers
            Cybernetic Arm
            Ability Increase: Strength (8),
            ->Limit: Left Arm Only

Qualities
            Brainwashed
            Lethal Assassin
            A ghost

Build notes
            Ok so I'll be honest I started with Steve's stats here and went from there. Bucky's real power is his cybernetic arm plus he's largely as good a fighter as Cap. I didn't bother with his weaponry as I decided he can have what he needs for the job at hand. Typically he's using high powered assault weapons (Shooting damage 5) although he also uses a Grenade Launcher and a combat knife. I've given him Stealth Expert as he seems to regularly elude pursuers and gets the drop on the heroes a number of times.

This is Bucky as he appears in The Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity War.
            Last edited by bluejay71; 31st August 2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Well here we go with our first battle

Enter The Winter Soldier
              So the movie is Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Captain America, Falcon, Black Widow and a Hydra agent are driving in a car on a highway. Falcon is at the wheel.
              We start just after Sitwell's line "that is a terrible, terrible plan" at 1:16:40 in the movie.

Gonna say that The Winter Soldier (TWS from now on) gets the drop on everyone. He lands on the car roof and grabs Sitwell, throwing him out the window as a surprise. No rolls and Cap, Widow and Falcon each get a DP. Give Falcon an extra DP for not having his suit available (I assume it's in the trunk of the car).

TWS takes a pot shot through the car roof at the group but misses. Cap pulls the brake to give TWS an 'unbalanced' quality using Drive (his basic Coordination) vs Athletics and gets a major success. Falcon immediately uses it to create Trouble for TWS, throwing him off the roof of the car. TWS doesn't need any more trouble and uses his next action to counter the 'unbalanced' quality, successfully removing it.
              This is how I'd probably do it but I think it could it be as simple as a Drive vs Athletics test.

At this point the GM ain't quitting so he slams the car from behind again allowing TWS to get back on the roof, this time pulling out the steering wheel (DP for Trouble there). Cap uses the DP to stunt sharing his Shield protection with the other two.

One thing you notice in this fight is that characters often drop out for a while. For instance Sam isn't really present in the next section. Multiple ways this could be modelled in game: -
              1. Sam is unconscious from the car crash and recovers.
              2. Sam is momentarily stunned from the crash (Trouble worth a DP)
              3. Sam is doing something else off screen (sneaking into position, fighting other guys, etc)

So after a round or two of gunfire, TWS kicks it up a notch with a grenade launcher. Probably something like a concussion grenade (Blasting 6 damage). Cap interposes to save Black Widow and takes a huge Slam which knocks him off the bridge and through a bus. As with Sam above, this takes Cap out of the fight. I'd probably say he's unconscious this time.

Next few rounds sees Black Widow using Stealth, Athletics and heavy use of cover to get out of the firing line off the bridge and set up an ambush on TWS.

Another thing worth mentioning here is that I would be very tempted to have characters use the Recover action very regularly. Icon characters don't have a lot of Stamina and can get taken down with a couple of hits no problem. Whenever characters do take damage it's not unreasonable to have them drop back behind cover and take a breather.

At this point TWS and goons start heading off the bridge after Black Widow and Cap. Sam catches one off guard and takes him out effectively also grabbing his assault rifle.

TWS chases after Black Widow. Could use chase rules for this. She attempts to throw him off her scent with Stealth. Constant opposed roles to see how much of a lead she has. We'll come back to her...

Cap recovers and finds himself trapped in the bus without shield (DP for Trouble) and under fire from an automatic weapon. He spends a round on Defence going to retrieve the Shield. As he moves towards the soldiers he power stunts Redirection off his Shield to take out a couple of the soldiers. Once there's just the last guy he takes him out in melee.

Sam is now cleaning up the last few stragglers with the assault rifle.

Black Widow goes to set up an ambush using her phone. It's a great touch. A couple of ways this could be modelled, perhaps an existing Quality of hers or a new Quality imposed on TWS using Stealth or Sleight of Hand or something similar. She then attacks him while he's vulnerable going for a choke with her garotte gadget. Unfortunately it's not enough to beat TWS. He breaks out of the hold and attacks her with his cybernetic arm. She then power stunts with her Taser Disc to stop TWS' cybernetic arm working temporarily and runs. Either TWS loses the power for a panel or perhaps even loses the entire panel giving her the time to escape. Either works for me. Whichever it is, he then shoots her landing a serious hit on her.

At this point Cap arrives. I'd say this fight is reasonably straightforward. Their Prowess is relatively well matched and they can using Blocking with the Shield and cybernetic arm. Cap spends a lot of his time grabbing weapons off TWS but otherwise much of the fight is just interesting colour around straightforward attacks. Maybe a couple of uses of 'Tactics' to do power attacks and similar but it's fairly clean otherwise. The last move of the fight could be a successful hit from Cap resulting in a Slam.

Bucky's reveal could be modelled as Trouble for Cap (who loses a panel while TWS recovers). Black Widow and Falcon arrive and the GM gives out a DP to allow TWS to escape.

Again this isn't meant to be definitive but just an exploration of how these action scenes could be modelled to help inspire my own action scenes in my games.
              Last edited by bluejay71; 30th August 2018, 07:51 AM. Reason: Finished off the scene

Comment

Steve draws in First Avenger.

Comment

Thanks Talison! I'll go re-watch that movie and update the character writeup accordingly.

Comment

Iron Man
                    Origin: Gimmick

Abilities
                    Prowess: Good (5)
                    Strength: Incredible (7)
                    Intellect: Great (6)
                    Willpower: Fair (4)

Stamina: 11
                    Determination: 1

Specialities
                    Aerial Combat
                    Business Expert
                    Science
                    Technology Master
                    Weapons Platform Expert

Powers
                    Armoured Battlesuit
                    All powers derive from the Iron Man armour. Outside of this Tony's physical stats are all reduced to Average (3) and his Stamina drops to 7.
                    Damage Resistance 7
                    Flight 7
                    Life Support 5 :breathing, pressure, heat, cold, vacuum

Weapons Platform
                    Blast 7
                    ->Extra: Blasting or Shooting
                    I'd say Repulsors do blasting damage but Tony uses other weaponry (micro-rockets and so on) often enough to consider allowing him to regularly do shooting damage.

Knacks
                    Gadgeteer
                    Wealth

Qualities
                    Billionaire philanthropist genius playboy
                    Jarvis is my copilot
                    Sins of the past
                    Armoured Avenger

Build Notes
                    Tony is crazy versatile and definitely covers a huge amount of ground filling out skills, powers and knowledge within the Avengers. I had a few ideas as to how I might represent Jarvis (ESP, Interface, etc) but in the end I think the combination of Gadgeteer and the "Jarvis is my copilot" quality should suffice because for the most part Jarvis is just a conduit for the GM to supply info to the players. Once Jarvis becomes part of the Vision then replace the Quality with "His Girl Friday" which basically works the same way.

Most of what we see Tony do is either covered by his base powers or Stunts on the same powers. If not then Gadgeteer covers everything else (such as the cool transforming watch glove device in Civil War).

Sample stunts include: -
                    * Targeted mini rockets hitting all opponents in an area (Burst extra on Blast)
                    * Put all power into the thrusters (Increase Flight power level by 1)
                    * Chestplate beam, tank-busting rocket, etc (increase Blast power level by 1)
                    * Cutting beams to cut through objects (Corrosion 7)

It's also worth mentioning that Tony will use the armour as a constant source of Trouble to generate Determination Points. This Trouble typically takes the form of systems cutting out or getting damaged or even parts of his armour getting ripped open.

At some point soon I'll throw in the nanite version of the armour (and some of the other variations as well).

I threw in some sample Qualities but of all the Avengers I'd say Tony is driven the most by his Qualities and they change throughout the series. Initially he'd have something like "Death is close to my heart" or something similar which is used for all manner of Trouble and so on. It also helps him block Loki's mind control. After Iron Man 3 he drops that quality more or less. After Avengers Assemble he gets a new Quality, something like "It's out there and it's coming for us" representing his fear of an impending alien invasion.
                    Last edited by bluejay71; 26th November 2018, 04:38 PM. Reason: Limited this post to just Iron Man

Comment

Quick writeup of Agent Rumlow as of Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Brock Rumlow

Abilities
                      Prowess: Good (5)
                      Strength: Good (5)

Stamina: 8

Specialities
                      Leadership
                      Martial Arts Expert
                      Military
                      Stealth
                      Weapons (Guns)

Powers
                      Taser Rod
                      Stunning 5 (vs Willpower)
                      ->Limit: Close Range Only

Assault Rifle
                      Blast 5 (Shooting Damage)

Qualities
                      Loyal to HYDRA

Build Notes
                      Basic Soldier with a couple extra features. The toughest guy in the SHIELD tac team.

Crossbones
                      For Civil War, Rumlow has changed fairly significantly.

Powers
                      Armoured Gauntlets
                      Strike (6 bashing or 5 slashing)

Battlesuit
                      Damage Resistance 3

Qualities
                      "I don't work that way no more" - altered physiognomy

He also has access to vehicles, weapons and explosives.
                      Last edited by bluejay71; 31st August 2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Elevator Fight (WIP)
                        One of my favourite sequences in one of my favourite movies. I'm pretty sure this can be easily done with Icons. Although there is at least one other named character (Rumlow's lieutenant) I'm going to treat everyone but Rumlow as a Soldier and give them Martial Arts (as Rumlow would have picked his best hand-to-hand combatants for this). Also they have a couple of nifty gadgets. Two of them have the Taser Rod shown in Rumlow's writeup. They also have Magnetic Handcuffs disguised as suitcase handles which I'm going to handle as Binding 4. The main thing happening here is massive amounts of coordinated attacks from the Soldiers trying to overcome Captain America's insanely high natural ability. I was going to try and do this blow for blow but it's really hard to keep track of and honestly we can do this near enough and still highlight how well Icons handles a scene like this.

The Protagonists
                        Captain America
                        Rumlow
                        9 SHIELD tac team operatives

Setup
                        As the various tac team personnel enter the elevator, Steve gets an Awareness check (augmented by his Military training). He recognises a few giveaway cues: signs of nervousness, a coincidentally large number of operatives together at one time plus the way they position themselves around him. They do not get the element of surprise.

Steve kindly offers anyone the opportunity to leave the fight before it starts playing off his own qualities but also intimidating the group. He uses his Willpower for that manoeuvre gaining a free usage of the quality.

One soldier immediately attacks with the stun stick which Cap evades. Recognising how dangerous that is, Cap grabs it and drops it. A big guy grapples with Cap as another takes his Shield (Trouble worth a DP).

At this point they attack with close range Binding devices. A massive coordinated attack that Cap still manages to beat. Ok this has gone on way too long now and Cap comes out swinging.

A round of devastation as Cap batters down the group in seconds. His Prowess is so high that most attacks against him are Massive Failures and his counterattacks tear the tac team apart. Within 1-2 rounds he throws out 7 serious attacks. I'd likely treat everyone but Rumlow as a minion which means Cap's counterattacks should drop them.

A couple of areas of interest here...

1. Due to the nature of the Binding devices, I'm going to say they hit but didn't manage to Bind Cap. As they're just equipment, it seems fair to allow Rumlow to get an attack in where he kicks the Binder against the wall. So he uses his Prowess to retrigger the Binding roll. I guess this could be modelled by Trouble and might be worth a DP (the GM could suggest it as an auto-success and give Cap a Determination point for it).

2. Rumlow attacks Cap with the Taser Rod and gets a massive failure against Cap's Prowess. Instead of attacking back, Cap redirects the attack against another of the team instead, taking him out.

3. Once it's only the last two left, Rumlow creates a new Quality "This ain't personal" and gets two free uses. The first he uses to make Cap lose his go and the second he uses on his Taser Rod attack.

Again I really, really enjoy this fight and it shows how Icon can model it beautifully with some cool interesting touches here and there.
                        Last edited by bluejay71; 30th August 2018, 08:37 AM. Reason: Added more details

Comment

Ok I'll throw the Black Panther in while I'm doing the builds. Great character and again perfectly realised in the movies.

The Black Panther

Abilities
                          Prowess: Great (6)
                          Coordination: Incredible (7)
                          Awareness: Great (6)
                          Willpower: Fair (4)

Stamina: 10
                          Determination: 3

Specialities:
                          Athletics
                          Martial Arts Expert
                          Stealth Expert

Powers
                          Vibranium-laced costume
                          Damage Resistance 7
                          ->Limit: Shooting damage only

Claws
                          Strike 8 (Slashing damage)
                          He can stunt Wall-crawling off this

Qualities
                          Embodiment of the Panther spirit
                          Honour my father
                          Protect Wakanda

Build notes
                          I have to be honest this build is a little rushed but for the most part feels ok. In the movie they draw attention to the costume protecting T'Challa against gunfire but I'm not sure about it's defensive properties against other forms of damage. I think it's debatable although it makes him a lot tougher if he has full Damage Resistance.

For the Black Panther and Infinity War movies he has his new suit which I'd say replaces his Damage Resistance: -
                          Kinetic Absorption Vibranium-laced costume
                          Absorption 7 converts into Blast 7
                          ->Extra: Broad (all physical damage)
                          ->Extra: Burst (on blast damage)

He may have a stack of other cool abilities (like the comics or cartoons) but this is all we see in the movie so far.
                          Last edited by bluejay71; 31st August 2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Much appreciated on the time, effort and thought that was put into these writeups, bluejay71. About the only caveat I'd have - and this is purely personal - is that I'd stick with giving Cap and Bucky, as of Winter Soldier, a straight Great (6) in Prowess, reflecting that they're at the cusp of superhuman capabilities, but no further. Anything over and above that is the consequence of Specialities, Stunts, Qualities and so forth. Tony Stark, sans armour, I'd give a straight Fair (4) with regard to physical stats, giving him something notably over average, reflecting the training he engages in on an obviously regular basis.

Also, with regard to Winter Soldier's elevator scrap (agreed totally on the dramatic impact of that scene), I felt your take on the various devices, maneuvers and so forth were spot-on with regard to translation to the game system. Look forward to seeing more.

Comment

Thank you very much Black Talon, that's exceptionally encouraging feedback. Honestly I still feel like I'm learning the system and so all ideas and thoughts are very welcome. I'll take another look at this tomorrow and see if I refine these further.

Comment

Working...
                              X