Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Quick rules question, is this allowed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick rules question, is this allowed?

Just wanted to ask you guys about something real quick. I'm starting a one-shot of ICONS: Assembled Edition soon, and I've been going through and teaching the players how to make characters and such. One of them is trying a support-based hero, and I just want to be totally sure from people with experience if what he's doing is OK or not. We're doing point-buy, just to be clear.

Here's the way his hero's powers are set up right now:

HEALING 6, -Limit: Performance, -Limit: Exclusive, +Extra: Broadcast
    Extra Effect: Reflection, +Extra: Effects Others, -Limit: Performance

BINDING 7, -Limit: Performance, -Limit: Concentration, -Limit: Exclusive, +Extra: Burst
    Extra Effect: Flight
    Extra Effect: Mind Blast, -Limit: Exclusive, +Extra: Secondary Effect (Dazzle)

FAST ATTACK INCREASE 7, -Limit: Performance, -Limit: Only Effects Others, -Limit: Exclusive
    + Extra: Blast
    + Extra Effect: Coordination Increase 7
    + Extra Effect: Prowess Increase 7

Technically, I think this still means he ony pays for 3 powers, since his extras and limits balance out...

Basically, a lot of adding limits to his "primary" powers so that he can add additional powers as extras, and then putting additional limits on those additional powers. He says his intention is to have a lot of powers, but have it so he can only have one active at a time, so if he wants to keep somebody bound, he can't boost the abilities of his allies.

Is that a thing you're allowed to do? I admit, this'll be my first time running ICONS, or any superhero game, so if there's something weird going on, I want to be certain. Would any of you guys allow this? Thanks!

On further thought, I'm starting to think the "Magic" power would be a much easier way to do this, and I let the player know that he might try seeing if that works for him. Still, I leave the original question to sate my own curiosity.

Also, while I'm here: Is the Supervillian Handbook worth picking up? It sounds interesting, i'd just like to know what's in it.

Re: Quick rules question, is this allowed?

I wouldn't allow that in my game. I want things to be kept simple and not try to turn the game into M&M. My recommendation is to buy a base power and stunt what you need. I also encourage the use of Creating an Advantage as an expression of your power, e.g. applying Qualities to mimic various effects. This has a tactical benefit to teammates if you want to share activations. I also allow the use of an activation as a "fee" to use a Quality in the same round (normally that would end your action), e.g. you gain 2 activations: spend one to use it immediately, and one to apply the quality.

So Artemis (Young Justice archer) just has Blast 6. Since minions are easy to take out with plain ol' damage, you can narrate any special effects that you want, e.g. gas arrow, taser arrow, etc. as it doesn't matter.

When it comes to named characters, you can stunt a Stun effect, or add on an Area extra, etc. You can spend DP to guarantee it, or you can use a Maneuver and roll for it. Since she's a Weapon Master (+3) with Coordination 5, she's rolling her test starting at 8. There's hardly any reason not to go this route.

Also, and specifically with the Performance Limit, watch out for how players spam this. It doesn't add any additional time and is easily phoned-in/hand waved away by players. IMO, it's too easy for the benefit. The only time it comes up is if a character is held, e.g. Binding, where they can't gesture. But mostly they're free to use the power without much of a downside. Be warned.

As to point buy, Extras cost the same as the base power, and Limits either directly pay for the Limit or they reduce the cost by 2 points (minimum one).
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
      As to point buy, Extras cost the same as the base power, and Limits either directly pay for the Limit or they reduce the cost by 2 points (minimum one).
      Huh. Just to be sure, where is this said? I might have missed this, since a lot of parts about point buy in the book are kind of vague.

EDIT: Actually, I've got another question. Can you activate qualities outside of your turn? Like, if somebody was about to hit you, could you use an activation you already had to make it harder for them to hit you? Or, could you use an activation to increase your attack roll to hit somebody, AFTER making the roll?

EDIT 2: One another question: Do the bonuses you get from different origins still apply to point buy characters?
      Last edited by Bobinator; 6th August 2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
        Huh. Just to be sure, where is this said? I might have missed this, since a lot of parts about point buy in the book are kind of vague.
        Page 68 says re: point-buy, "Extras cost 1 point per level of the base power. A limit can counteract this cost."

Page 84 says re: Limits, "Increase the power’s rolled level by 2, to a maximum of 10."

EDIT: Actually, I've got another question. Can you activate qualities outside of your turn? Like, if somebody was about to hit you, could you use an activation you already had to make it harder for them to hit you? Or, could you use an activation to increase your attack roll to hit somebody, AFTER making the roll?
        You can't use a Maneuver outside of your turn because it requires an action, but you can spend DP to activate a Quality. And you can accept Trouble to do so, as well.

EDIT 2: One another question: Do the bonuses you get from different origins still apply to point buy characters?
        Those bonuses are not meant to be part of the point-buy. Of course, a generous GM could allow it. (Personally, I'd rather just allot more points.) The origin bonuses are just meant as ways to further randomize rolled-up characters.
        Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Working...
        X