Rise of the Phalanx (OOC) - Cancelled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rise of the Phalanx (OOC) - Recruiting

Yeah, I'm thinking of replacing it with Adaptation or Life Support (Space-capable perhaps), or maybe a Super Sense (but that feels more like a Stunt).

Also, I kinda feel like having the acronym, if only to make the homage obvious, and for the "aspects of mythic figures" thing being pretty cool in my eyes. I mean, saying the acronym word makes for a flashy transformation with lightning strikes and all that, but if I activate the Quality to Push or Stunt or Insight or whatever, it'd be cool to just declare stuff like Insight as "the Wisdom of Solomon" and Flight stunts as "Speed of Mercury" and similar.

And I figure I'll be having him shout out stuff like "Holey Moley" and other such old-school oaths, so I kinda figured I'd get my alliteration that way. Though, at least it won't be so alliteratively bad as invoking the Hoary Hoasts of Hoggoth or the Fearsome Fangs or Farralloh. :P

Comment

Hope you guys aren't waiting too much on me

How about

Pro 8
      Coord 8
      Str 6
      Int 8
      Aware 6
      Will 6
      Determination 3
      Stamina 14
      Utility belt 3

So cool in a very pulp era eugenic ubermench sort of way.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
        Pro 8
        Coord 8
        Str 6
        Int 8
        Aware 6
        Will 6
        Determination 3
        Stamina 14
        Utility belt 3

So cool in a very pulp era eugenic ubermench sort of way.
        Stamina would be 12 : STR 6 + Will 6

Three Abilities at 8 with no Specialties is a little narrow for my taste. They're high superhuman, so less pulp hero and more Inhuman.

I'd rather see INT 5 and Specialty Master, which indicates an area of focus. I'd rather not see both Prow and Coord at 8, at least not without appropriate Specialties, e.g Prow 6 and Martial Arts Expert, or Coord 6 and Athletics Expert, etc. Not only is it more interesting because it fleshes the character out, but it means the character is really good at somethings and in other areas he's still peak human, but not superhuman.
        Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I may just end up doing a random build.

Comment

So, I noticed that the Icons: AE build for All-American Girl is roughly 44 points, and fits the right power-level I was aiming for with my hero, who I'm calling "Captain Thunder" for the time being until I get a better name for him. So, I decided to just pull the All-American Girl stats, and removed her Athletics to just up Coordination and Strength to where I figure the character would benchmark as a superhero.

The result is so:

Cool Image

Attributes: Prowess 5, Coordination 5, Strength 8, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Willpower 6

Powers: Damage Resistance 7, Flight 7

Stamina: 14
            Determination: 3

Qualities:
            The World's Mightiest Mortal
            An Ordinary Boy With Extraordinary Powers

Name: Adrian Anderson AKA "Captain Thunder" AKA "The Wizard's Champion"

Still not entirely sold on it. Part of me wonders if I ought to simply swap the DR and Will levels so I can use Willpower stunts as "magic" and stuff on account of being empowered by magic - throwing and manipulating magic lightning sort of stuff. But that just makes it another "power", and feels a bit much when I can accomplish the same thing with Willpower maneuvers and stunts off the much higher Strength. As well as being sorta shaky logic with regards to Willpower's description.

Background's actually pretty simple, and left a bit vague because it's supposed to be mystical and mysterious that way. But the point is that destiny is a fickle thing, and decided that one poor, downtrodden boy ought to be Earth's next Champion, and The Wizard (who is The Wizard of wizards) called him to take up the hero's mantle. Imbued with divine might, this slightly-more-than-human teenager can with a single word transform himself into Captain Thunder! The World's Mightiest Mortal! Defender of the people against the forces of evil and paragon of good!

Too bad the poor kid is still wet behind the ears when it comes to this "hero business".

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
              Thanks for the quick response.

I may just end up doing a random build.
              If you mean using the random character generator in the book, that's not balanced against a 45 point build.

Comment

Well, you could always start with a random char gen, then afterward tally up the points, and either lower or raise some levels till you get to 45. Because I'm thinking Spectrum was saying he kinda needed the random-ness to kickstart his creative juices to adapt to something unusual. Because that way you get a random concept, but can shaved the build down to 45 as you sculpt the character out of the randomness.

Comment

First, I wouldn't be trying so hard to make this work if I didn't really want to play with you guys

So far, I'm 2/2 failures. If the system won't support the kind of character I want to play, maybe I can want to play something that the system creates. Who knows, I might end up with an awesome random combination that really sparks my imagination.

Comment

You can create the character however you like--it just has to end up being 45 points. It's no different in M&M: you might want to play Superman, but if you have a 150 point budget, you have to compromise.

Comment

Re: Rise of the Phalanx (OOC) - Cancelled

I'm cancelling this game.

Comment

Re: Rise of the Phalanx (OOC) - Cancelled

I'm sorry to hear that but its probably for the best. Thank you for your willingness to run.

Comment

Working...
                        X