Rise of the Phalanx (OOC) - Cancelled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of the Phalanx (OOC) - Cancelled

Okay, I've decided to go for this campaign after all. You guys will be the hero team of Victory City: The Phalanx. It's set in the greater ICONS universe, so characters like All-Star, The Hangman, and Saguaro all exist.

Character creation is based on 45 points. Please build a four-color costumed comic book character.
    • I'd like to use the Consequences rule from the Narrative chapter of ICONS A-Z.
    • I think one of ICONS greatest assets are Qualities and that chapter in A-Z is a must read. The Teams chapter builds on that and is highly recommended.
    Last edited by badpenny; 07-27-2016, 08:24 AM.
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Re: Rise of the Phalanx (OOC)

Interesting, I'll need to think on what would be cool to play.

Thank you!

Comment

Aw man... now I need to figure out the build rules.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
        Aw man... now I need to figure out the build rules.
        They are straight forward. Everything costs one point! There are benchmarks for Abilities in the book. Specialties fill the "skill" niche and are rated 1-3 (Trained, Expert, Master).

Powers can have Extras and Limits. Extras cost as much as the base power. You have two choices with Limits: either than directly balance (pay for) an Extra or when applied without an Extra give you two free ranks (or reduce the cost by two points, to a minimum of 1).

Aside from the characters throughout the ICONS material, there's the ICONS wiki with comic book conversions to help with benchmarks, too.

http://icons-truth-justice-and-gamin...rs+Conversions

There are no arrays and the like. Buy a base power and you can stunt whatever else you need. So, Spider-Man can stunt web parachutes, web balls, blinding webs, etc. but he has to have Danger Sense or he won't be able to react. For him he'd need Binding and Swinging as an Extra.

Devices don't reduce cost, but open you to Trouble (and earning DP).

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to address those.

P
        Last edited by badpenny; 07-13-2016, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Re: Rise of the Phalanx (OOC) - Recruiting

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
          I'd like to use the Consequences rule from the Narrative chapter of ICONS A-Z.
          I think one of ICONS greatest assets are Qualities and that chapter in A-Z is a must read. The Teams chapter builds on that and is highly recommended.
          Anything important those of us without that product need to know?

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
            Anything important those of us without that product need to know?
            Are you familiar with Consequences from Fate?

Qualities are moderately well covered in Icons, but the Qualities entry in the A-Z series is more substantial. If you are well versed with Aspects from Fate, you're on solid ground.

More generally, 45 point heroes in Icons is considered a novice, and that's what I'm looking for. To fit in with the overall Icons universe, I'm looking for good costumed heroes, rather than importing from other genres (urban fantasy, anime, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
              To fit in with the overall Icons universe, I'm looking for good costumed heroes, rather than importing from other genres (urban fantasy, anime, etc).
              It's good you specified that, as my natural state would do something non-costumed. I'm sure I can come up with one.

Comment

So what are you guys thinking about?

Right now, I'm thinking a very 4 color speedster/martial artist,

Comment

Oh, and at the start of the adventure, you guys are at best an ad hoc team, but without a name. It's also fine if you're just all in the same city as solo operatives, too. Of course, being willing to form a team is a key part of all this.

Edit: Oh, and this important: since you're Novice heroes, make sure you background reflects that and I'm going to implement a rank cap of 8 (no matter how you get there). So if you have a Master Specialty (+3) then the max rank of your Ability is 5.

It's only a 1-10 scale, and those upper ranks have to remain significant. Read those adjectives: rank 10 is Godlike.
                  Last edited by badpenny; 07-14-2016, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I can run up a powerhosue or a paragon build. I have a 45 point martial artist character lying around, but he's a bit much for this style of game.

Now, I just need to brainstorm some ideas, then spend a few hours of free time over the weekend writing everything down.

Comment

Before you self-censor, let me tell you a little about my influences and style as a GM.

I haven't read any comics as of late, but my absolute favorite model for a campaign would have to be the Young Justice animated series. It is has it all. That's not saying I'm looking to run a teen heroes series (though I'm also not opposed to it), but the action and personal interaction are wonderful.

As to GMing, I'm very four color and love heroism in my PCs. I view the game as a place to earn DP as well as spend it. That being said, I really don't want to see A) the game turned into M&M with complicated builds--not needed at all in this system--and B) builds that reflect the player's desire to "win" (or not "lose") with silly things like high DR and Regeneration kinds of things. As a side note, at this novice level, you really should concentrate on the absolute minimum powers that reflect your character and leave the rest to stunting because it's so easy.

Specifically, a martial artist would be great to see as I think Icons is brilliant in the way that stunting is handled, which actually makes martial artists viable.

Comment

Thanks for the additional information!

You've sent my creative juices in a different direction. I'm not very familiar with the system yet. Would a build that puts all of the points into attributes fit be too power geeking? I was thinking of it for a young Tom Strong type.

Comment

I've never read Tom Strong, but I don't see any problem with a character without powers, i.e. no entries in the power block (that would certainly apply to a martial artist as well). Of course, any ability over 7+ is a "power" at least as far as determining starting DP.

If you have any specific system questions, ask away!

Comment

So far I've come up with the desire to be extremely wealthy. One of their qualities will be "How does anyone have that much money?" Because we all know money is the best super power.

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
                              So far I've come up with the desire to be extremely wealthy. One of their qualities will be "How does anyone have that much money?" Because we all know money is the best super power.
                              Add in several levels of Gadgets, and you get some interesting conversations when you pull out something incredibly random.

"How the hell did you manage to get your hands on an interdimensional portal so quickly? We only asked for it two minutes ago!"

"Bought it."

"HOW?!?"

"Money. Honestly, how else would I buy things?"

But honestly, I'm kinda thinking of just playing a build like YJ's Superboy. Really simple and straight-forward, but probably with a different personality. Like, more Thing and Beast than Superboy's brutish attitudes.

Comment

Working...
                              X