X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrum
    started a topic ICONs Bundle of Holding until June 28th

ICONs Bundle of Holding until June 28th

Thought that people might be interested and didn't see it on the GR website...

Through Tuesday, June 28, we present the ICONS Bundle, featuring the fast-playing superpowered tabletop roleplaying game ICONS by Steve Kenson, designer ofMutants & Masterminds. ICONS adapts the spirit of classics like Marvel Super Heroes and Villains and Vigilantes to a modern narrative design loosely based on Stefan O'Sullivan's Fudge.

Compared to a lot of superhero RPGs, ICONS is fairly short and simple. You won't find exhaustive details or situational rules, and there's no built-in setting beyond "the world of comic book superheroes." The game targets the atmosphere of Silver Age comics and modern animated adventures like Batman Beyond. Mix-and-match heroes and villains from ICONS books, other games, your favorite comics, and your own imagination. The ICONS system provides a balancing mechanism so any group of heroes can work on relatively even footing.

This huge new collection presents everything you need for anything from a pick-up game to a complete four-color campaign. Pay just US$14.95 get all eight titles in ourPlayer's Collection (retail value $67) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:

• ICONS: The Assembled Edtion (retail price $15): The complete, comprehensive 232-page full-color rulebook. Includes the Game Master's Screen (retail $1) with helpful reference charts.
    • Great Power (retail $10): The super-powers sourcebook with new power options, dazzling devices, and ways to reskin existing powers.
    • Five Hero Packs (total retail $41): A total of 260 fully statted, ready-to-play characters.

And if you pay more than the threshold (average) price, which is set at $24.95 to start, you'll raise your Determination and also get our entire Game Master's Collection with nine more titles (retail value $61):
    • ICONS A to Z (retail $10): Steve Kenson's 26 essays on all things superheroic -- from Aliens, Battles, and Cosmic through X-Factors, Youth, and Zombies -- published biweekly in 2015 and newly collected.
    • The Villainomicon (retail $10): A rogues' gallery of antagonists from Auntie Social and Beastman to Yama King and Zergo.
    • Rise of the Phalanx (total retail $26): These four linked adventures by Dan Houser (Flight of the Nova-1, Cold War Conundrum, The Nemesis Crisis, andThe Metaskulk Invasion) kick off a new campaign or make great "special crossover events."
    • Three four-color adventures (total retail $15): Scenarios in the Silver Age style by Steve Kenson -- the introductory adventure The Sidereal Schemes of Dr. Zodiac, military battlesuit mayhem in The Skeletron Key, and the time-bendingThe RetConQuest.

That's a total retail value of US$128, enough to draw the interest of the greedy Corsair Queen or conceivably even Professor Hominid. But you'd better answer the headquarters alert fast -- this ICONS Bundle offer ends Tuesday, June 28.

http://bundleofholding.com/presents/Icons

• FuzzyBoots
    replied
    Re: ICONs Bundle of Holding until June 28th

I'm still reading through the rules, but I like the cut of Doc Impossible's jib, Micra as a second choice.

Leave a comment:

• kenmadragon
    replied

Hmn. You know, when I tried introducing my TT group to Icons (back around AE came out), I basically house-ruled that if you substituted a rolled power for an extra, you didn't get the level of the main-power: the extra had the level of the rolled power, or the main power (whichever was lower).

So, taking the example from the book and adding numbers, the player who rolled up Aquatic 5, Fire Control 7, Precognition 4, and Duplication 5 would end up having Fire Control 7 (extras: Flight 5, Force Field 4) and Duplication 5.

Might make things a bit more balanced than having the player just get their extras at their base power's level.

Leave a comment:

• badpenny
    replied

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
    Interest waning with premade characters.

Thank you for offering to run.
    Yeah, I knew someone was going to go that way. But, honestly, I don't know what the solution is. As I said, random doesn't end well, and the point buy approach is broken.

IME, players try to put 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bag getting all tricky with Extras and Limits like it's M&M and it doesn't work.

I suppose if you build a straight up hero without all kinds of mods, like the sample characters are constructed, I'd look that over. But, seriously, players who try to game the system are going to make me back out, but quick.

Leave a comment:

• Spectrum
    replied

Interest waning with premade characters.

Thank you for offering to run.

Leave a comment:

• kenmadragon
    replied

If you says so, BP. I mean, I get your points and understand them, even if I don't completely share them. Mostly, but not completely. Still, I'll drop that line of debate, if you're so settled on the matter.

Would I still be allowed to Drop Leadership to Expert and pick up Super-Senses (Comprehend Languages)? Otherwise the listed Determination 2 in Heracane's stat sheet is wrong. Comprehend Languages gives the whole "Chosen of the Gods" thing a bit of a Captain Marvel feel.

Will also be gender-flipping the thing, because it's easier for me to play Papa Wolf than Mama Bear. Especially when played with for comedy.

Leave a comment:

• badpenny
    replied

For being heroic--saving bystanders instead of, say, engaging in combat--I would award DP which you could use to save all those folks you're talking about protecting. That's more useful than DR. I mean, if your stated intention is to be heroic, you could play the Hangman and I'd write scenes for you to be heroic with your noose....

IOW, I'd rather see you want to be a hero with what you have and look forward to the challenge, rather than keep pushing for more. I'm VERY wary when players argue for more power and can't be dissuaded.

Leave a comment:

• kenmadragon
    replied

All American Girl also has similar Stamina levels to Heracane. Besides, Grudge and Warbride both have DR of 5, Troll an ungodly DR 9, so why limit someone "Chosen By The Gods" who's entire schtick is being an "Unstoppable Force" to being as resilient as someone wearing a suit of armor (p 112)? Like telling the Hulk that bullets can hurt him. It just doesn't make sense to me.

So, yeah, I understand your point badpenny. But, unless all we're doing is slugging things out in fight scene after fight scene, then I don't see why having DR 6 is such a huge deal when I plan on using that phenomenal strength and resistance to be doing things other than fighting.

Like protecting civilians with interposes, keeping crumbling buildings standing to get people out, shielding teammates from harm, and trying to talk a villain out of fighting if he can. Because what's the point of spending an action to Recover when I could be spending that action and advantage to help a civilian or protect a teammate?

Sure, using Recovery means I might be up longer, to be able to do that stuff, but by that point, I might be too late. If a civilian is falling from a building, and I burst out a window and grab them to use myself as a cushion, then I ought to be damned sure that fall won't knock me out. Spending an action to recover before jumping out the building might mean I'm too late.

If someone's in trouble, then yeah, definitely got somewhere to be.

And if it means that much, why not allow DR 5?
    Last edited by kenmadragon; 07-04-2016, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• badpenny
    replied

It's too much. Most of the characters in the back of the book don't even have DR. All-American Girl does, but her STR is lower. DR doesn't work like Impervious in M&M 2e where you ignore attacks lower than your rank. That might work for me if it did because then, sure, you can bounce bullets. But it subtracts from ALL attacks.

With good roleplaying, and a Recovery Maneuver, you could make your action look like bouncing bullets. The bad guys shoot you and score a big success. You roll your test and succeed and voila, damage gone. You spend an action, but so what. You got somewhere to be?

Second, changing the Specialty from Thrown to Improvised means you're going to be picking up things and bashing people with them looking to add to your already impressive 9 STR. As written, Thrown adds to what's typically going to be the material STR of something you throw, which will almost always be less than 9.

A rank of 9 should be appreciated for what it is: nearly godlike.

Leave a comment:

• kenmadragon
    replied

I was more going for increasing it by two levels to 6, simply because it just seemed more natural to me. You know, so I can describe bullet-bouncing. Not for mechanically gaming the system (it just doesn't sit right with me for someone capable of pressing a couple thousand tons to be remotely phased by conventional weaponry).

So, my suggested end result would be:
    Name: Herman Kolokythas
    Prowess 5, Coordination 5, Strength 9, Intellect 3, Awareness 6, Willpower 5
    Powers: Damage Resistance 6, Super Senses 1 (Comprehend Languages)
    Specialties: Athletics, Leadership Expert, Mental Resistance, Weapons: Improvised
    Qualities: "Chosen By The Gods", "Tall, Dark and Handsome", "Single Working Dad"

Leave a comment:

• badpenny
    replied

I don't want players to have absurd anything, which includes Invulnerability. There's nothing interesting about that in an RPG. While that may exist as a narrative quality in the source material, actual mechanically high DR means you just never get taken out. No drama.

You can take Recovery actions. You can spend DP or take an action an Maneuver for it. Plus, I'd introduce some optional rules to shift damage to Consequences as well as Environmental Consequences to give some more narrative impact.

Gender flipping is a roleplaying choice, and has minimal game impact for me. But I don't want a lot of hacking taking place where the emphasis is on gaming the system. I hate this. If that's what's fun for you, I'm so the wrong GM.

I didn't write those characters up, so if there are mistakes, we'll address them.

Leave a comment:

• kenmadragon
    replied

The random-generation isn't that bad... Okay, it can lead to some being more powerful than others, but that's sorta the genre I guess.

Besides, I'd gone and got my hopes up I could play this one character I made for an Icons conversion of the Emerald City Knights adventure which the GM disappeared in the middle of the intro for. Dr. Sin's grandson (Raven 2's cousin) gone rogue superhero after he becomes an immortal ninja. So, sort of a Shang Chi type, only with absurd Prowess and Coordination.

But, if we use the pre-built, can we tweak them? Example: I like the feel of playing a brick-house bruiser like Heracane, but Papa Wolf resonates with me more than Mama Bear. So, a gender-flipped version be alright? Herman instead of Helen, Evelyn instead of Ethan? And even then, would slight mechanical tweaks be fine? Like, dropping Mental Resistance for better Damage resist, for that "Invulnerable" aesthetic and to better protect civilians with "interposing"? And moving around the Specialties so Thrown becomes Improvised, and lowering the Leadership level (because IMO, only Captain America really has a Master level in that), to better suit the home-grown brawler?

Edit: And I also just noticed - those stat-sheets haven't been updated to Icons: AE. Shadow Strike's Acrobatics specialty no longer exists in AE, as it got bundled with Athletics.
    Last edited by kenmadragon; 07-04-2016, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• badpenny
    replied

Okay, I can do something with three players. Here's my issue with character creation. The game is built around randomly rolling up characters, and unlike the M&M Quickstart, there's no emphasis on playable characters. Steve has said on his blog that he has no interest in creating a fully realized point-buy for ICONS, and the existing one is broken. IME, randomly rolled characters are a nightmare.

Therefore, I prefer pre-built characters. I like this team created on the Google+ group as they're balanced and come with some team dynamics in place. The latter aspect is sometimes an issue for players, but I personally like it because you can hit the ground running with something that feels more like a team and less like running a series of solo adventures where the characters all happen to be in the same place.

I was also thinking of playing one of the remaining characters (y'all get first dibs) so we can have four.

There's a cheat sheet (also from the Google+ group) that I think is a handy resource.

If that's agreeable, we can start as soon as characters are chosen.

Leave a comment:

• FuzzyBoots
    replied

I am game to try.

Leave a comment:

• kenmadragon
    replied

Want to PM FuzzyBoots and some of the others who posted in the thread if they're interested?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X