Neotropolis: Shattered Mirrors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neotropolis: Shattered Mirrors

The phone rings for a few nerve-wracking moments before Latasha manages to pick up. "Oh, Dr. Sung!" she greets cheerfully. How is it she's able to be so cheery when you're late? What does this woman know that you don't? "Just calling to say hi? Because I'm hoping this is a social call. I never get too many of those from you, dear."

Comment

Be honest with yourself and be honest with others.

"Latasha, it sounds like you're having a great day. I hope that I haven't interrupted anything fun?
      "I took your advice about getting a good night's sleep and it seems that I got too much rest.

Like six hours too much...

Comment

"Oh, don't worry about that, dear." Latasha seemed to chuckle. Don't worry? Don't worry?! Ludicrous! There was everything to worry about!

"I already marked you down as taking a personal health day. All your appointments have been rescheduled for later dates, and you have no reason to come in today other than to enjoy my pleasant company. Not that I mind that, but honey, you're taking today off. And no buts or complaints, I already put it in the system. So, have fun!"

Comment

Lillian thought for a moment, "Fudge brickle from Gordian's, right?" trying to remember the sweet nurse's favorite treat.

"Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you?" what an odd thing for a proud young doctor to say to a 'lesser'. A wise doctor knows the power of an experienced nurse.

Comment

"Not nearly enough, dear." Nurse Latasha laughed. "Now, go, have fun, enjoy your 'personal health day', doctor. Lord knows everyone needs one every now and then."

"And if I might make a suggestion?" she continued after another laugh.

Yes, please do.

Lillian turns to look over her shoulder where that voice came from. Masculine, snide and sarcastic. Familiar. Must be hearing things again.

Comment

Lillian takes a deep breath, this isn't real, it isn't real, her mind isn't playing tricks on her, it isn't real. It. Isn't. Real.

She smiles back into the phone. "I can't promise to take it."

It isn't real.

Comment

It's almost like you can hear the smile. Mostly because it's Latasha, and she smiles way too much for someone who spends their hours in a hospital, but also because there's something about her voice that makes you think there's a smile there. One could get into the psychology of vocal patterns and associations that one subconsciously picks up when you spend a lot of time around an individual, but frankly, why bother to say something in such complexity when you could be as simple as "you could hear her smile when she spoke"?

"There's a little bistro on Campbell which is supposed to be a couple blocks from you. It's called... ooh, what was it? Oh, yes, Coyote's Corner. Lovely little hole in the wall. Calm and relaxing. My cousin's daughter, Deanna, goes there all the time when she stresses about her finals at NIT. Have I ever mentioned Deanna? Oh, dearie, she's going places, yes she is. Bright young girl like that, always so polite and respectful, and she's-" Nurse Latasha goes off, and it takes a slight (almost unnoticeable) clearing of the throat to get her back on track. Good thing too, because the story she was about to start on her cousin's daughter, Deanna, involved a great deal many boys she was turning down left and right, which seemed a little awkward for Lillian who hasn't had anything romantic in... how long has it been?

"Oh, right, I'll tell you about her later, hon. You just want to ask for a barista named Antoine to make you something called a Doux Ręves On Ice. Make sure you get a comfy corner booth and just unwind, okay? Relax, and just have yourself a nice milkshake, and don't worry about a thing, hon. Get your head clear of everything, and you'd be surprised at what could happen."

Comment

Lillian couldn't help but smile, Latasha really was one of the sweetest people she had had the fortune to meet. Really, maternal? That could be a good word for it.

A little sigh while Deanna is described. Was Latasha trying to set her up? Was this proper pride of a family member with potential or.. matchmaking? Grandmother spoke of that often, trying to put neighbors together in happy marriages. Goodness, Lillian missed her Grandmother.

"Thank you for the recommendation. I'm going to get a shower and.. well, I was going to go for a run but that does sound delightfully tempting."

Comment

"Ah, well, don't let me keep you then. You freshen up you hear, and go to that cafe and unwind. Who knows, you might even meet an interesting boy while you're there. Oh, dearie, wouldn't that be something from a movie or tv show - on of those 'chance meetings' and 'meet cute's. If you run into a nice boy, though, I'm sure I'll be the first to hear about it, though, right?" Latasha joked around, a teasing encouragement that wouldn't take no for an answer. Something seems to tell you that she'll give you an earful about it one way or another. If you do go to the bistro, Latasha will talk your ear off about what you did there. If you don't, she'll talk your ear off about not listening to her.

"Oh, I'll have to talk to you later, hon. One of the doctors needs a hand. Now, relax, you hear? Bye now!" she quickly rushes to finish the conversation and get back to work, her advice ringing clear in your present thoughts.

Quick update to move things along - try and have your post move the backdrop away from the apartment, and on the move to wherever Lillian seems to be going.

Comment

Lillian takes a moment to get ready to go out. It's not quite a slouch day (mother would be mortified) but it's more relaxed than for work. What was the last day that she really had off? She might even cut back on her pickmeups, let things cycle back down, go back more towards a normal state. Again, not a work day...

But it was also a beautiful day out there, bright, beautiful, a great for a short walk through the mixed use neighborhood.

Or maybe a nice run as she took off, letting the pavement pound beneath her feet, letting the sun shine upon her face. This, this was beautiful. Hopefully, in just a few more years, she could have this on weekends. Maybe a nice apartment, a back yard.. this was wonderful.

So not really running anywhere right now, but with an eventual eye towards heading to the cafe, she took off. Letting the blood sing through her veins.

Comment

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. And as Lillian runs across the pavement of the calm city sidewalks, one can't help but feel that everything just seems right. People are going about their business, the city is thrumming with limitless potential, and the energy in the air today seems to set your spirits ablaze.

Or that's just the various chemicals and hormones that your body naturally produces, giving you a rush of energy as you run.

Enough so that running through the streets takes Lillian's mind off of things. Like the fact that the sky has weird lines going through it if you're not looking for them. Or that people seemed to give off their own vibrant hues, and that the scent of oranges from the carton by the grocery store Lillian just ran past seemed to hint at a scent of melancholy and longing. The roads run themselves with blurs left over as fragments of memory, and the glass windows of the shops and homes peer into stories of those that occurred beyond their panes, lingering in memory, reflect shades of those who gazed past their translucent veil.

For all the science that the city of Neotropolis is known for, it's so easy to forget that it's also magical.

That's simply the nature of having so many souls come together in one place. Impressions left by thousands, nay, millions of individuals moving here and there, revolving in and around the pulse of the beast formed by the thoughts and feelings of so many forwards and backwards in time that the present seems but only a culmination of all those microscopic touches that made the city feel alive.

It's so easy to forget that.

Coyote's Corner is one such place. Easily forgettable if you're not looking for it. The sort of place you just have to chance upon, or be pointed towards. The cafe is unobtrusive, such that you never see it unless you're paying attention to the small details. It doesn't have any magnanimous display, and is nestled between small shops that one would find themselves just walk right past the Corner if they weren't paying attention. As Lillian slows to a jog upon reaching the little cafe, she can't help but feel that it's a kind of secret in some respects. Not really a "secret" secret, but the sort that's public, but only a few people are in the know.

The window is plain and tinted in grey, with the etched image of a coyote curled up with a cup of joe beside it, looking very cozy and smug, with the cafe's name etched above: "Coyote's Corner". Upon entering the cafe, there's the tinkling of a tiny bell above the door, and Lillian is lush with the scent of old forest earth and the warmth of a hearth in the cold of winter. The wood of the counters and tables seemed worn but sturdy, and the the machines behind the counter thrummed with a low hum. A few beanbags and easy chairs were pulled up in one back corner of the cafe, where a bookshelf stood, a patron sitting in a one of the chairs, sipping a steaming cup of coffee as she read a worn paperback while a university student sat at one of the tables, scribbling away with the tiny sckritches of his pencil, and a couple laughed softly as they spoke at another. Soft music played over unseen speakers, but Lillian couldn't place the song.

"Hi, welcome to the Coyote's Corner, what would like to have?" came the voice of the young man behind the counter. He was on the shorter end of tall, and had the scruff of having not shaved for a few days, dark hair partially braided in dreads with highlights to blend and offset his mocha skin, with the rumbling voice of a bass, though he looked like he was only recently out of college. His name tag read "Antoine". What luck.

Comment

Lillian pauses and blinks a moment as her eyes play tricks upon her again.

As she's coming in, a perky blonde is going out. Now, this wouldn't be so strange except that the girl is wearing a very odd pair of leggings. Leggings covered in thick creamy fur. The last sight that our good Doctor getting of the girl is the flip of a doe's tail?

This.. this wasn't right. Surely it's a fashion trend that Lillian just didn't have time to follow. It looked so lifelike though.

Her eyes swept back over the crowd, wondering if someone that looked like a 'Deanna' was there.

Finally, her attention turns towards Antoine. Suddenly, an odd mix of being in control and that odd unfamiliar sensation of being flirty. "Hi! I've been told that I have to try to Doux Reyes on ice? I hope I'm saying that right?"

Comment

There is a moment of confusion before Antoine recognizes what Lillian is talking about. With a small smirk, the young man explained. "Ah, you mean Doux Reves. That sound ends with a 'V'. It's French for 'Sweet Dreams'. Would you like anything else to go with it?"

After paying for her drink and collecting it from the nice young man who made it - apparently that was something of a 'secret menu' item here - Lillian found herself getting comfortable near the bookshelf corner, settling into the coziness of the small cafe before turning her attention to the drink in her hands. It wasn't really coffee by the looks of it - but some blende of frappe or what-not with some faint, heavenly aroma that made the eyes flutter. The cream at the top was lightly dusted with what looked like sprinkles of stars and little crescent moons.

And with a sip, it was easy to see why the drink was called "Sweet Dreams". Latasha was right, this drink really did feel relaxing. Like all her troubles were slipping away as her head felt unburdened by her stress and worries. The world seemed to snap out of focus before coming back, and one could see with new clarity, free of the weight of worry. A sense of calm that accompanied the tingle of the taste of sweetness and the sparkle of dreams.

It seemed so relaxing that Lillian almost didn't notice the young Asian man sitting next to her, who certainly wasn't there a moment ago.

Comment

Lillian's eyes slide closed, her lips pursing to whistle a few bars of the old song. It was one that she had learned to play, illicitly, years ago. It sounded so beautiful upon a violin, even if it was most definitely not proper music for a violinist to profane her instrument with.

Sinking more and more relaxed, she plays the fluid across her tongue, trying to catalog just the chemistry involved with the rush of endorphins and relaxing elements. Why was this so effective? What could she learn from it. Ethnopsychopharmacology did have a place.. and had a delightful way of actually interfering with the ability to enjoy things. A painter sees the world upon canvas.. she sees the world through a lens of chemical interactions.

She comes back to herself with a blush, a tilt of her head at the young man that decided to share space with her. Perhaps he didn't mean for it to be rude, just.. convenient?

Comment

Working...
                              X