Shattered Mirrors- a first character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shattered Mirrors- a first character

I'm really new to ICONs and still don't have a good grasp of it yet (at all).

I'm trying to convert this character over. One of the big questions is where my GM (kenma) wants to start things from.

Lillian Sung - PL 8
    a
    Strength 0, Stamina 5, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 7, Awareness 6, Presence 0

Advantages
    Attractive 2, Connected, Eidetic Memory, Fascinate (Expertise: Music), Favored Foe: Disturbed, Great Endurance, Languages 1, Second Chance: Insight, Skill Mastery: Insight, Skill Mastery: Treatment, Speed of Thought

Skills
    Athletics 5 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+5), Expertise: ???? 1 (+8), Expertise: Medicine 8 (+15), Expertise: Music 3 (+10), Expertise: Occult 3 (+10), Insight 4 (+10), Investigation 3 (+10), Perception 4 (+10), Persuasion 10 (+10), Technology 3 (+10), Treatment 8 (+15)

Powers
    Kaleidoscope eyes: Variable 1 (Limited: Senses and Communication, Uncontrolled)
    Life on the Pharm: Enhanced Trait 0 (Traits: Expertise +0 (+8); Variable Descriptor: close group - General specialization; Limited: Drugs and effects)

Offense
    Initiative +7
    Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)
    Throw, +0 (DC 15)
    Unarmed, +5 (DC 15)

Complications
    Disability- Hallucinations: Sometimes she sees or hears things that can't possibly be right. Thankfully, she knows how to threat things like that.
    Phobia- Madness: Her beloved grandmother believe in irrational things- and she's afraid of following the same pathway. She'll come to discover that Grandma was right.
    Relationship- Beloved Smother: Mother knows what's best and she'll be a good girl and do it.
    Responsibility- medical residency: Long hours, little pay and so close to her (mother's) dreams coming true!
    Secret- Pink Hair: It's always been important that she hide her pink hair. Good girl's don't do stand out for things like that.

Languages
    English, WuShan

Defense
    Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 8, Toughness 5, Will 8

Power Points
    Abilities 36 + Powers 6 + Advantages 12 + Skills 29 (57 ranks) + Defenses 17 = 100

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lillian Sung (ICON)

Origin: Birthright

Abilities:
    Prowess 2, Coordination 3, Strength 3, Intellect 4, Awareness 3, Willpower 4

Powers:
    Detection 6 {Extras: Magic and Spirit; Limits: Uncontrolled}
    Magic 5 {Limits: Ritualistic}
    Super-Senses 1 (True Sight)

Specialties:
    Medicine, Performance

Determination:4
    Stamina: 7

Qualities:
    Down The Rabbit Hole- Con: coming across bizarre creatures with strange logics and illogics pro: being able to come to accept such leaps of logic, as another possible interpretation, being able to make friends with the strange denizens and cross from pawn to queen

Life on the Pharm- psychopharmacology being a crutch to deny a new reality but also a knowledge and growing resistance, secondary: becoming involved (for will and woe) with the fringes of Neotropolis society chasing that next expanded moment of Brilliance.

Caught between the Tiger and the Shen: Showing the diversity between her tiger mother (overachieving) and her more spiritual grandmother. It brings conflict and flexibility. Stubbornness and obsession being your leaning towards the Tiger, and restraint and discipline making you more Shen. The Tiger being a more analytical Western direction. The Shen being more intuitive and Eastern.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 06-04-2016, 10:32 AM.

Re: Shattered Mirrors- a first character

Given Lillian's character description, her sheet would look more like so:

Origin: Birthright

Abilities:
    Prowess 2, Coordination 3, Strength 3, Intellect 5, Awareness 3, Willpower 4

Powers:
    Detection 6 {Extras: Magic and Spirit; Limits: Uncontrolled}
    Magic 5 {Limits: Ritualistic}
    Super-Senses 1 (True Sight)

Specialties:
    Medicine, Performance

Determination:4
    Stamina: 7

Qualities:
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    Life On The Pharm
    Far Beyond Driven

Notes:
    Okay, so first off - Origin. Birthright seems appropriate for Lillian because her power is something that she was born to have. As far as Neotropolis is concerned, the only people with the Unearthly origin would be the Lancaster's - they're not actually human.

Second, Intellect level typically corresponds to level of education in terms of benchmarks (unless you've got an advanced brain like the Lancaster boys or Gizmo Girl). So, I'm tempted to actually assign that as a 4, given a 5 is what one would give someone like Dr. Robert Wong (who's somewhere between a 5 and a 6). So, yeah, she could have a 5, but I have to wonder whether her misuse to pharmaceuticals in an ill-guided attempt to make her abilities stop might have taken a slight toll on her reason.

Which brings us to Specialties - I wouldn't give an Expert rank in a Specialty to Lillian in either Medicine or Psychiatry. Expert is typically the realm of true experts - people with that level of experience and skill in doing stuff like that. So, Dr. Wong would have Medicine Expert, but not Lillian, who's still in residency and hasn't had all too much experience in the field. Similarly with Psychiatry - which I removed entirely because Lillian studied medicine, not psychiatry, in school. If she were a liscenced psychiatrist, then sure it'd make sense for Lillian to have it, but she's training to be a physician.

Now, onto the powers. As you'll see, the Detection and Super-Senses powers are Uncontrolled. This means they're under GM control. True-Sight's the easy one - it lets you see what's normally concealed. Illusions, disguises, true natures, etc. Now, Detection is fun - it lets you sense magical energies and strengths, and also see ghosts and spirits, being able to detect their presence. With Detection, you also use that power level of 6 in place of Awareness when detecting that sort of thing.

And if you're curious as to why I already gave you Magic? Because frankly, this is a one shot, and if you decide to try and learn magic from the get go, I'm going to let that fly. So, you need the power - but it's highly restrictive. For one, you cast using Willpower to try and get a spell going. Also, you have to do some long rituals to get the magic flowing (she's not a sorcerer, just a ritualist).

Also, this is something I always ask my players: Explain your Qualities. For each one, give it a short explanation, then explain how you see it being used by everyone at the table, player and GM alike, as well as how it is both good and bad for the character. The best qualities are always double-edged swords, with one side just a smidge sharper than the other.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. You bring up a lot of points that need to be considered.

Comment

Most of the things that I was going to say last night are quibbly stuff.

Origins:
        I'd think that the Lancaster family is more Birthright than Unearthly. They weren't born in a different universe after all, right? Blitz is also probably here.

Trained, transformed and gimmick also are common Neotropolis origin points.

Dr Wong might be lower in Intellect than you think. However, I would also give him huge ranks in medicine and science (and maybe military). He's one of the foremost experts in his field but he's no rocket scientist.

I'm easy either way with Lillian's skills. I see her as specializing in psychopharmacology. In her original game, her area of magic was focused on using Taoist alchemy to develop the leading edge of designer drugs before they were made illegal.

The powers make sense. I was thinking that the information could come to her in other ways: the ficus tree in the corner actually telling her that it needs to be water, the neighbor's dog talking to her, or seeing into expanded parts of the spectrum. Really its more playing with the way that the senses work in ways that are unexpected or unsettling.

Some mood music before I start talking about the qualities.

Down the rabbit hole- Con: coming across bizarre creatures with strange logics and illogics pro: being able to come to accept such leaps of logic, as another possible interpretation, being able to make friends with the strange denizens and cross from pawn to queen

Life on the pharm- psychopharmacology being a crutch to deny a new reality but also a knowledge and growing resistance, secondary: becoming involved (for will and woe) with the fringes of Neotropolis society chasing that next expanded moment of Brilliance.

Far beyond driven- prone to be driven to obsession, but also able to go far beyond the normal in pursuit of those quests

Comment

On the topic of origins, I'm listing Blitz as a Birthright origin in my conversions - as a clone, she was born with her powers. And given Kenneth's proclivity for dimension-hopping in his youth, I was more suggesting that the Lancasters were descendants of some ancient race which traveled through the multi-verse, and settled in different worlds in ancient times. Ergo, where all those stories of demi-gods and the like living on earth come from. It's not really an important detail in the short term, but I kinda figured it'd be an interesting twist later on. (Plus, from a mechanical perspective, the Unearthly origin explains why the Lancasters are all so weird)

But yeah, Lillian's a Birthright because she's human, but inherits her magical gift from her grandmother. And virtually all of the other heroes are in those three. Basically, of the heroes I currently have made stats for (I'm still tinkering with the levels), the Origins are like so:

Trained - Dragon's Breath, Mr. Fix (mostly speculation)
          Transformed - Hardlight, The Shrike, Celestial, Shadowwalker
          Birthright - Blitz, Lillian Sung
          Gimmick - E-Lass, Gizmo Girl, ANUBIS
          Artificial - CADIE
          Unearthly - The Samaritan, Timothy & Kenneth Lancaster

And yeah, if you'd rate Doctor Wong as a 4 Intellect, then you might want to drop Lillian to match as well. I mostly based my benchmarks similarly to the old FASERIP system for Marvel, where Intellect was correlated to level of education (or intelligence comparable to someone with said education). Though, given the scale of Icons, you could be either way - a 4 makes you a good scholar, but a 5 makes you a great one. 6 is the level of world-class thinkers, like Professor Emil Hamilton from Superman.

Similarly, the Psychiatry specialty doesn't lend itself too well to psychopharmacology. But, it's up to you if you want to keep it or not.

Also, your third quality could be better phrased. As it is, it lacks a certain "oomph". It's good as it is, but there's always room for improvement.

Comment

I'm noticing that the ideas of trained and gimmick blend pretty closely in my version of Neotropolis. Several characters have equipment and specialized training- a bounty hunter/cyborg, a professional thief/hard light equipment, etc.

I'm notiicng several similarities between ICON and Fate. I'm tempted to see what Lillian would look like in the Dresden system.

Comment

Also... I have mental sketches of most of the Lancaster family. Big sis is being shy telling me about herself.

As you might expect, right now, it's all pretty spoilerific.

Comment

Originally posted by kenmadragon View Post
                Also, your third quality could be better phrased. As it is, it lacks a certain "oomph". It's good as it is, but there's always room for improvement.
                I'm good with obscure references that are too obscure and being surprised that nobody around me gets them

Is there a concept you like more?

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
                  I'm noticing that the ideas of trained and gimmick blend pretty closely in my version of Neotropolis. Several characters have equipment and specialized training- a bounty hunter/cyborg, a professional thief/hard light equipment, etc.

I'm notiicng several similarities between ICON and Fate. I'm tempted to see what Lillian would look like in the Dresden system.
                  Yeah, but it's somewhat usually easy to tell whether a character falls on one side of the line or another. Typically because Gimmick's tend to be characters with higher mental stats and focus upon a device. In that respect, Hardlight could actually be a Gimmick - but given the nanites sorta imbedded into his skin and permanently bonded with him, it feels almost like he was Transformed. *shrugs* He was borderline on that one, because he fits the category descriptions for both.

And given the creators of Icons have actually mentioned in their books that they drew inspirations from the FUDGE system and FATE, yeah, loads of similarities. Kinda why I wanted to use Icons - Fate-like social mechanics, but built for a supers setting.

Also... I have mental sketches of most of the Lancaster family. Big sis is being shy telling me about herself.

As you might expect, right now, it's all pretty spoilerific.
                  Lemme guess - you're using Icon's random tables to get ideas?

I'm good with obscure references that are too obscure and being surprised that nobody around me gets them

Is there a concept you like more?
                  Not one that comes to mind. I was more saying that it needs to be re-worded a little. At the moment, it's a little broad and needs to be honed on something. "Far Beyond Driven" makes you prone to obsession, but doesn't say about what, or what types of things Lillian'd get obsessed about. What makes her so obsessed?

Comment

I still like driven but I understand what you mean, it's overly general. While I like that and it fits, its too broad.

I've been looking over the Dresden game for aspect ideas. A few that pop out.

Caught between the Tiger and the Shen: Showing the diversity between her tiger mother (overachieving) and her more spiritual grandmother. It brings conflict and flexibility.

Eyes Wide Shut/The Lidless Eye/The Music of the Spheres: going back to the idea that her awareness is acute but also brings unwanted (or just confusing) truths as well.

And the family is based on characters/concepts that I've wanted to play for a long while, they were just too shallow or too narrow to fit into most games on the board. I've mentioned it before, but I think that it would be nifty to have a young Kenneth and Linda in love series.

Comment

I rather like "Caught Between The Tiger And The Shen". I'd definitely use that in place of "Far Beyond Driven" - stubbornness and obsession being your leaning towards the Tiger, and restraint and discipline making you more Shen. Also, it's a lot more poetic, which is always a plus.

And btw, I did NOT expect Linda to be the psychic. Wow! What a twist! Hell, I was thinking of saying that Linda's side of the family lived out somewhere in the country (so Dexter could have an excuse to do more super-man things), and that her brother worked for the government as an agent of some kind, so if the government ever turned against the Samaritan, it wouldn't just be his government going after him, but his own uncle. And that Linda's dad doesn't like Kenneth for reasons.

But that! That was wholly unexpected.

Also, yes. Young Kenneth and Linda - dear god, that would be something. So much yes! Tricky game to run, but would be a fun fic-series to write.

Comment

There is much still unsaid that one day we may touch upon. They are very different and yet together they are stronger.

Comment

Opening post character sheet has been updated.

Let's get this show on the road?

Comment

Let's.

But first, one question: what time-frame do you wish to start at, again?

Comment

For her, the start of Madness.

In relation to the main Neotropolis timeline- sufficient time for her to have dealt with her Madness and developed Third Eye. A few months? A year? before the main timeline.

Comment

Working...
                              X