Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Recruiting] Argon City In Need Of Heroes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Recruiting] Argon City In Need Of Heroes!

Argon City In Need Of Heroes!

Welcome to lovely, scenic Argon City. A city of tomorrow, where the future is bright and shining. A city where things happen. Citizens love her. Other cities want to be her. Argon City is the place to be. A city on the edge of world - a world where evil lurks in every shadow.

The World of Argon City needs saving.

Plagued by crooks and criminals, and beset by villains of nefarious sorts, the Earth and its people are in need of heroes to save them.

So, the only question is...

Do you have what it takes to be a Hero?

Coming Soon To A Forum Near You...

What game system are we using?
    Icons: Assembled Edition. If you only have the Icons rules, and not the Assembled Edition, please say so. Things from Great Power may be used on request, but the rules in I:AE overrule those in GP.

What setting is being used?
    Once you've voiced interest and joined as a player, we'll go through the Universe-Building rules to craft the world of Argon City. So, the setting itself hasn't been created just yet. However, there are a few guidelines for it. The tone should be a mix of Four-Color and Silver Age. Grayscale should be used sparingly. The time is the Modern Era, with a slight nod towards Superman:TAS style of being somewhat more advanced than what we have in the real world. Stick to the classics. If you can envision it happening in a comic book, and it's sufficiently Golden or Silver to actually happen, then cool. A good example of this is Timmverse stuff.

How Many Players Are Being Taken?
    I don't really see a reason why everyone shouldn't at least have a shot. But, for the sake of keeping things simple - if you haven't pitched in by the Interest Deadline, then you may or may not be able to participate in world-building. You can still create a character if the GM is willing, but the world-building takes time, and requires a modicum of investment into the setting you'll be creating/playing in.

How Will We Be Playing This?
    I'd honestly prefer PbP. If this proves unfeasible, then we'll see, but for now, it's play-by-post.

When Is The Interest Deadline?
    I'm tentatively setting that to 2400 hours UTC on Sunday, August 23. That should be sufficient time to gauge how many people are actually interesting in participating in world-building.

How Do I Show Interest?
    Just post a reply telling us your username, what time-zone you're in, and that you can commit to posting at least once a day (more would be better, of course). A promise that you won't go AWOL without warning would be nice, too. Also, if you have any experience with Icons (any edition, either playing or GMing), then just say so!

So, Who's Running This Shindig Then?
    Well, since the ideal is to start up a round of GMs via troupe-play, the "current" game-master is variable. But, as the guy who's starting it up and presiding over character creation, I, kenmadragon, will be the Head-Honcho who's "running the show". That means veto-power, baby! But in all honesty, I'm a nice guy, and we're all here to have fun. I'm just here to make sure everything stays on track, and will be the first to put on the GM-hat.

Anything Else We Need To Know?
    We're all friends here. So, Be Cool. If there are problems, we will deal with it like civilized individuals.

More Info To Come Shortly.
    Last edited by kenmadragon; 15th August 2015, 06:35 PM.

Re: [Recruiting] Argon City In Need Of Heroes!

Reserved.

Comment

Setting Features

Organization (Terror)

The "Sons of Entropy" are a secretive and malignant group of terrorists devoted to the destabliization of world governments and the establishment of a global society run under pseudo-anarchic principles. Though their existence is known to the world at large, and they have made several magnanimous attempts at achieving their goals (and been thwarted), the cells still operate underground, and their members are mostly unknown. Intelligence communities world-wide are on the case, and have managed to trace the Sons of Entropy's activities back to the Great War, though the true origins of the terrorist organization is as of yet unknown. The Sons of Entropy are currently led by a man known to the world solely as "Novum", a masked demagogue and skilled agent rumored to have metahuman abilities.

Artificial Intelligence

Created by world-renown scientist Dr. Hubert Romaine nearly a decade ago, the android known as "Clockwork" was initially created as a means of calculating theoretical means of accessing extra-dimensional energy for public use. Corruption to it's programming occurred when Blockbuster of the Magna Guard retrieved him for Dr. Romaine after having been stolen by The Tempo Terror. Developing sentience, Clockwork turned on his creator, and attempted to drag world monuments through an dimensional rift. Stopped by the Magna Guard, Clockwork's corrupted programming was fixed, but his sentience and free will remained. Clockwork departed Earth to explore other dimensions - his current whereabouts are unknown.

Alien Race

After encountering the team of Earth explorers known as the Journeyers on a chance meeting in the Oort Cloud, the alien race known as the Khelbanians grew interested in Earth. After a tentative invasion force was repelled by mighty Earth heroes, the Khelbanian Empire has since had a growing appreciation for Earthlings, and after lengthy negotiations, decided to leave Earth out of their designs for Imperial Expansion. While the aliens of Khelban are not friends of Earth, there are still many on both sides who feel like the peace between the two races is wrong.

Alternate Species

The Aquarians are an ancient race of humanoids who have adapted to amphibious life. On their secret archipelago hidden under an advanced cloaking field in the middle of the Pacific, the Aquarians are a tenacious lot. Despite their seclusion, the Aquarians boast incredible technological capabilities within their almost utopian society. However, they are fearful of outsiders, which proved to be a problem as they were revealed to the world by the villainous Riptide - an Aquarian villain who unveiled the Aquarians to the world. Now known to the human world, the Aquarians have begun to tentatively get in touch with human society - but still guard they're secrets and their home very carefully.

Super-School

With the rise of super-beings around the globe, Argon City has found the need for ways of handling these threats. While prisons are still being updated with the technology necessary for supervillain containment, issues now arise from the fact that certain individuals develop their abilities as children. Given that these children may not be able to fit into normal classrooms and still need education fit to their "unusual" needs, Argon City's Department of Education came up with fitting solution - a special school designed to cater to metahuman children. Mayview Elementary School was created for just that purpose - a safe place for metahuman children in Argon City to go through the standard educational curriculum, as well as special courses on ethics and justice, as well as meta-ability control, self-restraint, and discipline. The school is to all appearance a normal elementary school, for its status as a 'super'-school is kept secret from the public.

Glimpse of the Future

Jordan McCrow, now going by Timekeeper, claims to be from the 25th Century. After chancing upon a temporal gateway in her own time, Timekeeper ended up in Argon City, where she has joined Super-Society. While she swears to never abuse her knowledge of the future, it is Timekeeper's personal secret that she doesn't actually know much more about history beyond what happened in the 24th and 25th centuries, and is quite lost in this time. Fortunately for her, she has fallen in love with the "quaint" 21st century, and has decided she likes being a superhero of sorts, making do with being stuck in the past.

Occult Entities

Kh'menomentotalp was an ancient MesoAmerican King and powerful sorcerer, known for his cruelty and megalomania. Deciding that death would not be the end of his reign, Kh'menomentotalp enacted forbidden blood-magic rituals to ascend to the level of gods as an immortal. Things did not go well as his rituals were interrupted by his own son. Mortally wounded from the backlash of the interrupted rituals, Kh'menomentotalp ordered himself to be mummified upon his actual death - if his body would die, then he would ensure his soul lived own, leaving his son to watch over his corpse, not knowing his son's treachery. Kh'menomentotalp was hidden in a secret tomb and sealed behind great wards, then buried beneath the Earth to never see the light of day. Centuries later, anthropologists discovered the remains of a buried pyramid underground, and unearthed the secret tomb. As the foolish explorers and scholars entered the tomb and accidentally broke the wards, Kh'menomentotalp awakened from death, and unleashed his fury upon the nearby area. Defeated by the Earth's Master Magician, Dr. Curio, Kh'menomentotalp has been trapped in magical stone coffin after coffin, breaking out each time to plot his rise back to power and the subjugation of the world.
      Last edited by kenmadragon; 5th September 2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Quite Possibly Reserved.

Comment

Reserved Until Further Notice.

Comment

SilvercatMoonpaw, CDT, can definitely commit to once per day (can probably commit to more frequently, to be honest). I can guarantee I won't quit or have a delay without saying so, but experience has taught me that sometimes I lose interest in things rather suddenly.

I tried GMing an ICONS (original) game once, but found it tricky to judge how the numbers related to the challenge NPCs provided. That shouldn't be a problem with PCs.

Are you going to want us to roll? Do you want us to post our character creation rolls from some online system, or are we on the honor system?
            Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 16th August 2015, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I'm interested in both world building, playing and GMing.

lazygm UTC+2

I can post at least once per day Mondays to Fridays but hopefully more often but I can't commit to that.

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
                Are you going to want us to roll? Do you want us to post our character creation rolls from some online system, or are we on the honor system?
                I'm actually planning on holding off on rolling up characters till we have a decent group of players for the troupe, so we can do universe-creation together. But when we do create characters, I'm fine with players rolling. Point-buy is optional, but there's something appealing about a randomly generated character tailored to a player's tastes.

Rolls will probably be an honor-system thing, but I do like the documentation of rolls idea. I dunno, it's up to you guys. I'd really rather not clog up the threads with badly-formed tags to dice rolls, so if you do document, wrap the tags around the rolls numbers, and don't just post the links. Not really sure what the proper terms are for that, though...

Comment

Been a while since I did PBP, but I rather liked it. Have done the Icons world building thing for the last in-person game I played, and frankly didn't particularly enjoy that process, so if there's space after that's done I'd like to be considered.

Comment

Well, if the general consensus is to not engage in universe-creation, than that's fine by me. We can just have players roll up one character, and I'll do the universe-creation myself. Still, it helps to know how many people are actually interested/willing to play. That way, details of the universe can be easily tailored to the players' characters, allowing for greater integration of the characters into the setting.

Comment

I'm okay with trying to contribute to world-building, but doesn't that usually happen by players writing world details into their backgrounds?

For some people it is easier to fiddle around with existing details than to create wholly new ones.
                      Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 20th August 2015, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Well, a week has passed, so if you're all still interested, then go ahead with rolling up characters. Just means we won't have a large team roster, but more of a heroic trio, banding together to save the fair Argon City!

And as you guys wish, I'll be adding more details to the front page for use in helping to flesh out your characters.

Comment

Lightning, EDT, and once a day should be no problem. So should not being a dick. At least not intentionally.

Might I suggest a common origin? Even family? Sounds like Argon City might have enough variety already, and having firm connections can help us skip over the trustbuilding and "why are these people together" parts. Not that they aren't potentially great parts, but I generally find them tedious in PBP.

Do we want already recognized heroes?

Personally I like the idea of working for some agency (or if we go with family, elders) that can brief us and whom we can report back to. Always good to have some NPC brains that can make sense of things if we're slow.

I hereby commit to not playing a loner. I want to like the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning View Post
                            Lightning, EDT, and once a day should be no problem. So should not being a dick. At least not intentionally.

Might I suggest a common origin? Even family? Sounds like Argon City might have enough variety already, and having firm connections can help us skip over the trustbuilding and "why are these people together" parts. Not that they aren't potentially great parts, but I generally find them tedious in PBP.

Do we want already recognized heroes?

Personally I like the idea of working for some agency (or if we go with family, elders) that can brief us and whom we can report back to. Always good to have some NPC brains that can make sense of things if we're slow.

I hereby commit to not playing a loner. I want to like the others.
                            I find that a common origin is stifling. But I wouldn't mind if our heroes already had formed a team and a trust in each other.

At the moment I'm looking into a "What if Bruce Wayne had gotten spider powers" type of character or Detective Spiderman if you prefer. Going for brooding team player rather then lone wolf.

Comment

Okay, but I'm curious, stifling in which way?

Comment

Working...
                              X