No announcement yet.

Can I Make A Book For Your Game?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I Make A Book For Your Game?

    Perhaps you’ve seen that a different company or individual produced a product for one of our game lines, such as Mutants & Masterminds. That may have made you think, “Hey, I should make my own RPG book for Fantasy AGE, A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying, Dragon Age RPG, or [insert other game here]!” Well, it’s not quite that simple.

    For Mutants & Masterminds, we have the Super-Powered by M&M Trademark License Using that, as long as you read all the information and follow the rules, you can produce your own products using the Mutants & Masterminds Third Edition rules. Yay!

    If your favorite game system is True20, we have the True20 Adventure Roleplaying Trademark License Again, just read all the information at that link and follow the rules, and you are good to go with creating True20 products.

    Now, if you want to create game products for our other properties, such as Fantasy AGE, well, we don’t have any other free licenses. In order to produce Fantasy AGE materials, for example, you’d first need legal permission from Green Ronin Publishing, which means a license, but not a free one. We are not looking for licensees at this time, so you know. This means you can’t produce products for sale that use any of our rules systems which don’t have an associated free trademark license.

    If your dream is to create new materials for the Dragon Age RPG or A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying or another property which we have licensed from the rights holder, well, sorry, but you can’t legally do that. We licensed the rights from the owners of our licensed properties, be that BioWare, George R.R. Martin, or another company or person. To obtain the legal right to produce a book set in someone else’s world, you would have to first negotiate your own deal with the rights holder, and pay them money, just like we did.

    One more thing: If you see art in one of our products, or on Deviant Art, or on an artist’s web page, or really anywhere that isn’t coming out of the end of your own paintbrush, pen, stylus, or any other art-creating medium wielded by you, you can’t legally use the art without permission. The way to get permission is to ask whomever owns the rights to the art if it’s okay. And the best way to get them to say “Yeah, okay, sure!” is to offer to pay them money. If you haven’t asked, or if you asked and were told “No,” that means you shouldn't use the art.

    If you have questions about any of this, please feel free to contact us at
    Last edited by SassyRonin; 27th March 2017, 09:40 PM.
    Bit Wrangler, Chief Banhammerer
    Green Ronin Publishing, LLC