This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Please Preserve This thread

For my part, these forums have been my connection to the game. Due to my personality type, too much noise is extremely bothersome to me and playing a forum with DnD, Pathfinder, and any number of games also going on takes away from my experience. On that of that, a forum such as this allows for dedicated communities to form that have tighter bonds, which also really appeals to me. Perhaps the biggest draw for me though is that time wise I don't have blocks of several hours to sit down at a table or over Skype anymore to game. Playing here allows me to indulge in the escape fantasy of a role playing game while not having to sit around a table with several other people who I only see occasionally when I have a family at home I would rather spend most of my free time.

All of that said though I understand the decision. Working in a professional capacity at one point as a moderator for a corporate internal message board and reading many other places on the internet I have learned that rude and inconsiderate behavior happens a lot more often on the internet. Its much easier to accidentally be a bit too harsh or not see someone's else points when you don't have to look them in the eye. Plus, insults or borderline mean jokes are easier to accidentally make since you don't have the facial cues or room reading.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Wow, this is the most upsetting news I think I've had all year. As someone from SE Asia in a country where nobody has ever seen a physical d20, far from the usual demographics of western superheroes and comics, these forums are the only way I get to experience the game. The Game Room is probably the best play-by-post community on the internet and nothing else I've seen compares. There's always a steady stream of new faces and amazing stories being told. I learned how to GM by reading people's games here, I taught myself the rules by watching their battles, I played my first game here and made friends that lasted till today, 4 years later. I can't put a value on any of this, and it's all irreplaceable. It's basically priceless and I'll be very sad to lose all of this.

I can be plenty abrasive when criticizing M&M 3e because I'm passionate and outspoken, but at heart I love the game and the work of the people who made it, and gladly lavish time and energy on the system they built. If I was part of anything that contributed to the decision to shut down the forums, I sincerely apologize and I'll happily edit/delete anything you feel is out of line.

Comment

I think most of the readership is baffled at what's happening. We're really just left guessing.

I've been a member of the ATT since the glory days of M&M2e. I can confidently say: it was often the best gaming forum I could find anywhere and had a community that was both unique and welcoming.

Having said that - if GR is ready to pull the plug, I won't argue for them not to.

I didn't see what happened that prompted this announcement. The tone used to describe it was pretty stark. If it was truly that bad - I certainly can't blame them for wanting to walk away.

And, honestly, everything online has a half-life. The forums have been sort of on a downward slope for a while now and there hasn't been a ton of publisher involvement (not like there was in the aforementioned glory days).

It might be time.
        Last edited by dirkgentry2000; 11-04-2016, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I largely avoided it and filtered it out, but I saw more than a few threads in the sidekicks lounge get rather heated with people screaming past each other in a sense creating a toxic discussion. In hindsight, I'm surprised they got as far they did with me partly at fault for filtering it out instead of reporting it to the mods.
          [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Just popping in here to say thank you to everyone here who is reaching out in a positive way. I appreciate it even if I can't take the time to fully engage right now.

We are having an Ops Team meeting tonight where some options for the boards will be discussed. Then I'm leaving town. Many, many months ago I bought myself tickets to Hamilton for my birthday and Pramas and I are going to take some time off to celebrate. We will roll straight into another trip and won't be back until the 15th. With the actual Green Ronin Business that will need my attention when I get back, don't expect anything drastic to happen before then, or more likely even later. I wanted to give people as much heads up as possible *in case* my final decision was to nuke things from orbit but I also know myself well enough to know that making a decision while angry won't benefit anyone. I hope to be sufficiently calmed down upon my return.

I don't know how many of you remember the old Blue Rose forums and the bad behavior of one certain Nisarg there but it was ugliness of a certain trollish pre-GamerGate sort. He was banned after MANY more polite warnings than he deserved and proceeded to rant, rave, and rail against GR as a company and me and Pramas personally. If he'd known who else to personally blame by name for the actual turning of the key that banned him, I have no doubt his campaign would have been expanded. It was after that experience that I instituted a zero tolerance policy for people who want to argue with or abuse our mods. If you're told to stop, STOP. Take a breath, have a drink, go away for a while. Whatever it takes. Argue? That just inflames things. Create sock puppets and new accounts to continue your behavior? NOT GOING TO FLY. Sic your friends and associates on the mods to act as your proxy? NOPE. NOT PLAYING THAT GAME. And once you start doing things like tracking down the *spouse* of the mod you're mad at (and someone who has been harassed and doxxed before) so you can spread your harassment around? OH HELL NO.

Comments of "if that's how Nikchick wants to run her forums" or "Well, you'll never get another dollar of my money after this" will absolutely not sway me. My people, my team, my family of coworkers and colleagues (not to mention my actual family) are more important and I will absolutely press the eject button before I stand by while they're abused. Green Ronin is three full-timers (the ownership) and a double handful of the most loyal, dedicated, and talented part-timers I've ever known. Most of our devs have other jobs, sometimes multiple other jobs. If there's nothing else I can provide them, I will stand in the way of their enduring abuse at the hands of "fans".

Ok, so I meant this to be brief but once I got going... well, I got going. I'm tagging out now because, as I mentioned at the beginning, I have a lot of things happening and it's best for everyone that I not make any big decisions when I'm angry. Please understand that I love most of you, who have been nothing but supportive and decent and I'm really torn up myself over the idea that a few supreme assholes might ruin it for everyone. I'll be back after my travel and we'll talk more then, I promise.

Nikchick
            ("The Sweetest Person You Never Want to Piss Off" is not just a cutsie title...)
            Sister Garrote of Warm Humanitarianism -- The Mean Ronin
            www.greenronin.com
            www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
            nicole@greenronin.com

Comment

Thanks for at least a loose timeline. Good to know it's at least a week and a half before anything happens. i was worried I'd have to spend this whole weekend archiving, when I've already got a bit planned and am stressed out.

Anyhow, if things do shutter, I just wanna say, I appreciate you all having this forum available. Having a smaller community made it easier to find people you could trust in a game, and easier to form relationships with them, than a place like RPG.net, where everything seems to move lightning fast. I got to have some great games, meet some great folks, and do a lot of playing and GMing I likely would never have gotten to do otherwise.

Here's to ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
                Thanks for at least a loose timeline. Good to know it's at least a week and a half before anything happens. i was worried I'd have to spend this whole weekend archiving, when I've already got a bit planned and am stressed out.

Anyhow, if things do shutter, I just wanna say, I appreciate you all having this forum available. Having a smaller community made it easier to find people you could trust in a game, and easier to form relationships with them, than a place like RPG.net, where everything seems to move lightning fast. I got to have some great games, meet some great folks, and do a lot of playing and GMing I likely would never have gotten to do otherwise.

Here's to ya'll.
                Please note that if the ultimate decision is to take the forums down, it will not be happening for a month or two. We absolutely will give you time to get everything you want off before we pull the plug.

Also, note that new registrations are currently disabled. The reason for that was a bunch of throwaway accounts being created to hassle the moderators. You haven't seen the posts, because they've been getting caught in the spam traps that we've cunningly laid out. These past few days have been trying, to say the least.
                ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Comment

Thank you for the news, Nikchick. I missed the old Blue Rose forums and never knew someone like that was around before. Yikes. And someone tracked down the spouse of a moderator here and harassed them as well over this, that is monstrous, I will never understand how people online can treat other people like that, like they aren't even human. It is ridiculous to the extreme to forget that there are other human beings on the other ends of computers and online accounts or to think making any kind of threat or harassment is appropriate. Makes me think a course in online ethics and manners needs to be taught in schools nowadays at the least.
                  Last edited by Psistrike; 11-04-2016, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Nikchick and Fildrigar.

Comment

Originally posted by Ysariel View Post
                      The Game Room is probably the best play-by-post community on the internet and nothing else I've seen compares.
                      I recommend RPOL and Myth-Weavers. I know it's not the same, but they're great PBP sites with a ton of features and dedicated staffers willing to go the extra mile. I myself am a moderator at the latter and I can assure that the sorts of problem elements the mods diligently smacked down here are treated with the same zero-tolerance policy there. It's a good place to be whomever, except for bigots of any kind.

Originally posted by Fildrigar View Post
                      Also, note that new registrations are currently disabled. The reason for that was a bunch of throwaway accounts being created to hassle the moderators. You haven't seen the posts, because they've been getting caught in the spam traps that we've cunningly laid out. These past few days have been trying, to say the least.
                      I noticed them, as well, but (for obvious reasons) didn't see the harassment PMs and stuff. I'm sorry you all had to deal with that. The people who want to be free to be a-holes to others really chafe against those who (rightly) stop them. "Freedom of speech" is often (incorrectly) brought up, as I'm sure you probably heard more than once. Here's hoping everything has calmed down or will calm down for you folks.

Comment

Heyo,

I know I'm not a regular any more and that M&M is two editions past it, but it would sadden me greatly if my Marvel Universe Handbook (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewt...80711f3b90f920) ceased to be. Please archive it.

Thank you!

Comment

I am glad to see from some of the recent posts there is a chance that these forums may be saved in one form or the another. For myself personally I came across the old Atomic Think Tank boards back in 2010 liked what I saw, brought the rule book and after lurking for a couple of months signed up and haven't looked back.

I have met so many amazing and friendly people over the years here who all share a similar passion for M&M and superheroes in general. From the builders in the roll call to the players in the game room I have learnt so much.

I would like to say thank you very much for all your hard effort and work in providing these forums for all of us for so long.

Comment

Another vote for Roll Call please. Having time to grab the resources I use, and my own write-ups, would be nice.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by proditor View Post
                              Another vote for Roll Call please. Having time to grab the resources I use, and my own write-ups, would be nice.

Thanks.
                              Your roll call entries were great, Proditor. I always enjoyed reading a lot of your 1980s era characters, especially all the V&V (my first superhero rpg ever) conversions.

Missed seeing you here. Hope you just got busy with even better things and everything is going well for you out in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreuzritter View Post
                                for many folks, the forums ARE the site, only learning of the cool stuff GR has coming down the pipe or has put up because it was mentioned here.

it's certainly that way in mine. the retailer for my FLGS doesn't list anything by GR in their catalogue, and these forums are the only place I know for good gaming, with many friends here I would not have made otherwise.

hell, when I posted the topic over on RPG.net to let folks know about this, someone there commented that we'd been an even more welcoming and positive forum, without for the need for RPG.net's level of moderation

this week has been a dumpster fire, no question. but while this is nikchik's house, so many of us call it home. could we move on and start our own forums, but we'd lose such a wonderful technicolor rainbow of a community that made this forum so much more than a mere message board, the kind of loss that would hang interminably.

throughout the internet, the actions of a few have proven time and again why we cannot have nice things.

if the forums continue in whatever fashion, let the rest of us bear the responsibility of proving why we can have nice things
                                i agreed with you
                                that exactly what i see in this forum

Comment

Working...
                                X