How do i improve my writing skills?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i improve my writing skills?

I would like to improve my writing skills but don't know how to make my rp more interesting. Is there any tricks? I also won't mind how to create a story.
    "My people don't pick leaders from the strongest, or the smartest, or even the most talented. We pick the ones willing to make the hard decisions... and live with the consequences."

Re: How do i improve my writing skills?

Originally posted by IronBull View Post
    I would like to improve my writing skills but don't know how to make my rp more interesting. Is there any tricks? I also won't mind how to create a story.
    http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/20...writing-skills

http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Your-Writing-Skills

Here is the biggie:
    https://www.class-central.com/report...nline-courses/

Basically, just start writing a story. Then revise it. Write more. Rinse. Repeat.
    Last edited by Fildrigar; 12-28-2015, 07:58 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Comment

I would agree with just write and let it flow. When I write up my RP posts on these forms, I get into the voice of the character I am writing for and just start typing. By voice I mean perspective, thought process, personality, etc. In addition to describing his actions and what he says, I also add his thoughts. As for good examples to bring into your style, I would suggest reading novels or short stories.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by IronBull View Post
        Are you trying to improve your writing skills or your story telling skills? These two are very different prospects.
        “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

There are two really basic things that improve writing and storytelling and characterisation skills.

The first thing is to write. A lot. Like with all things writing is a skill, and practise makes perfect. Remember that it's okay to suck at first because you will get better.

The second thing is to read. A lot. More specifically reading examples of writing and storytelling done extremely well, and by you will more or less eventually learn by example.

Comment

Originally posted by Narsil View Post
            There are two really basic things that improve writing and storytelling and characterisation skills.

The first thing is to write. A lot. Like with all things writing is a skill, and practise makes perfect. Remember that it's okay to suck at first because you will get better.

The second thing is to read. A lot. More specifically reading examples of writing and storytelling done extremely well, and by you will more or less eventually learn by example.
            I wanted to reply with thoughts, but this person nailed it..write A LOT...read a LOT! and write every day. Even if it's just a paragraph, but those three things on a consistant basis will help emmensely.

Comment

Originally posted by MelanieShaman View Post
              write A LOT...read a LOT! and write every day.
              Where as a better, but harder to achieve piece of writing advice would be "live more." Life is the greatest teacher, if you haven't lived yet, you've got nothing to write about.... There's a reason why most of the more prolific authors are almost all utterly broken by a life of interest, an by interest I mean interest in the same manner as the old Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times."

On reflection there are very few successful writers whose lives have been clear sailing through open waters & the few that have fallen ass first into such success have a tendency to disappeared into obscurity soon after.

Edit: A great example of this would be the Sue Grafton "A is for Alibi" series. That book series only exists because Sue Grafton went through a nasty divorce & really REALLY wanted to kill her husband. Obviously dhe didn't, but she came up with many different ways to do it & from that came the A is for Alibi series.
              “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
                Where as a better, but harder to achieve piece of writing advice would be "live more." Life is the greatest teacher, if you haven't lived yet, you've got nothing to write about.... There's a reason why most of the more prolific authors are almost all utterly broken by a life of interest, an by interest I mean interest in the same manner as the old Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times."

On reflection there are very few successful writers whose lives have been clear sailing through open waters & the few that have fallen ass first into such success have a tendency to disappeared into obscurity soon after.

Edit: A great example of this would be the Sue Grafton "A is for Alibi" series. That book series only exists because Sue Grafton went through a nasty divorce & really REALLY wanted to kill her husband. Obviously dhe didn't, but she came up with many different ways to do it & from that came the A is for Alibi series.
                oh, i completely agree. I am SLOWLY working on a 3 part graphic novel (part one was done years ago), and it is loosely based in part on my life's experiences, and others like me. I am so close to the subject matter that when the intesity level of the story was ramped up in part two i had to step away. Then life got in the way.

but yeah, LIVE... that's a good addition.

Comment

Originally posted by Fildrigar
                  Originally posted by mrdent12
                  Originally posted by MelanieShaman
                  Originally posted by saint_matthew
                  Originally posted by Narsil
                  Thank you all for the advice
                  "My people don't pick leaders from the strongest, or the smartest, or even the most talented. We pick the ones willing to make the hard decisions... and live with the consequences."

Comment

Working...
                  X