7. THOU SHALT NOT BE "THAT GUY"
    8. Don't be afraid to make it up as you go
    9. Have an idea of how things should probably go
    10. Keep It Simple, Simon
    11. Everybody should be having fun

I now open the floor to other quick morsels of advice

Re: 101 pieces of Gaming Advice

For GM's
    12) Encourage players to build 3 dimensional characters, bribe them with free goodies, extra XP/PP/appropriate for the system is need be
    13) Make sure, especially if playing with people from different areas of the country/world, that when you use a term the players think it means the same as you do (even if Google or a dictionary say you may both be right). I had a game go off rails over this at one point that 4 years later my group still teases me about.
    14) Don't take yourself too seriously as GM.
    15) Take yourself seriously enough that the GM is not "THAT GUY". We have 1 person who is always so silly, the group as a whole has declared that they are no longer allowed to GM; oddly enough they aren't so bad as a player.
    16) Feel free to steal from other media for ideas.
    17) If stealing story from another source, do NOT feel that you have to stick strictly to the same plot. In fact beyond the first session or two trying to stick to the same plot only leaves players already familiar with it bored and does not leave room for your group to do their own thing.
    18) to go along with 17)do not railroad your players TOO much. Sometimes they need a nudge to get back on plot, but it is as much their game as yours.
    19) Do not let NPCs overshadow the PCs for more than brief periods of time and even then rarely.
    20) Do not be afraid to kill PCs if it makes for a good enough story.
    21) Do not spring character death on a player without talking to them about at least the possibility of it first without good reason. players constantly being "THAT GUY" counts as good reason, so does a really good story that everyone will remember down the road.
    22) Don't be afraid to try something new

For Players
    23) Because it bears repeating: Make sure, especially if playing with people from different areas of the country/world, that when you use a term the GM /other players think it means the same as you do (even if Google or a dictionary say you may both be right). I had a game go off rails over this at one point that 4 years later my group still teases me about.
    24) Feed and care for your GM. It might stop them from killing off your character/party or at the least it is an occasional thank you for all the hard work that goes into keeping a game going and interesting. If your group does not rotate GMing duties occasionally, this becomes even more important. In our face to face group it is usually a pot luck or everyone throws some money in the pot to pay for dinner; whoever is currently GMing is exempt from having to pay/bring something.
    25) DO NOT BE A RULES LAWYER. This is not the same thing as pointing out a mistake on a sheet or even during play, even if it is the GM's mistake.
    26) Make sure your characters have real personalities and backgrounds. Built in plot hooks make the GM's life easier and more makes them more likely to let your character shine.
    27) to go along with 26) do not complain that your character never gets much time in spot light, especially if they are as 2 dimensional as the paper the character sheet is written on.
    28) Do not let IC disagreements or suspicions between characters affect your OOC relationship with other players. This rule is null and void if said player is being "THATGUY".
    29) Do not try to always steal all the glory from the other PCs.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

30) Put your phone down.
      31) [When rolls are bad], Take a breath, take it in stride.. get back in there.
      32) Take your own notes, on buffs and other modifiers.. esp. if you're the buffer and your friends are the buffee.
      "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

33) Remember that bad decisions propel good storytelling.
        34) Apply this logic to rolls (especially if you're the GM). If the system doesn't already support this, try to make it so that it does.
        35) Remember that you aren't doing this alone. Your character might be extremely deep and interesting, but have a way to boil it down to brass tacks do you don't monopolize the spotlight.

Comment

36. To be a better GM, read the GM section of Dungeon World and the Beginner's Guide to Dungeon World.
          37. To be a better player, read Dungeon World and the Beginner's Guide to Dungeon World.
          38. Play and run rules-light games to see just how little the mechanics actually matter.
          39. Study dramatic structure.
          40. As a GM, you can make your fights infinitely more interesting by including a goal for the players that's not simply kicking the other guys' asses.
          41. Players, actually role-play your character.
          42. Don't forget your towel.
          Yes, superheroes should be played like paladins in capes.

Comment

Working...
          X