Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are introductions still cool? No? Ah well. Hi folks! New guy reporting in!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are introductions still cool? No? Ah well. Hi folks! New guy reporting in!

Hey there, capes, cowls and other assorted caped comrades!

I have no idea where else to post this, and since the tagline for General Discussion is 'Not sure where to post? This must be the place.'...This must be the place! So yeah! I'm Amondrask, but you can call me Amon, Drask, Hugh, or whatever strikes your fancy. I'm in the unfortunate situation of being a huge lover of pretty much anything remotely geeky, but I live in Ireland. Which is like some sort of geek no-fly zone, for the most part. We have extremely small numbers of people that are into the nerdier side of things, and those that we have are spread out and not particularly inclined towards going forth into the great beyond and seeking out others of their ilk. Which is depressing, because man does it suck not having anyone to play games or tabletop with, or heck, even talk about comics and not be looked at with confusion. So this is why I'm here! The internet has been my home away from home since I was a kid, but I'm fairly terrible at keeping in contact with people, so alas, my geeky friends even here are few and far between. But hey, I'm hoping to rectify that, as the Ronin forums seem to be my kinda place!

See, I got the Mutants and Masterminds Deluxe Hero's Handbook (Say that ten times fast...) for Christmas, but I haven't got anyone to play with. I thought the group I occasionally do fantasy tabletop with might be game, but they're not interested at all. I've browsed around on the various forums and LFG sites online, but M&M seems to be a niche interest within a niche interest, so it's really hard to find a game at all, let alone one that I like the vibe of, y'know? Hopefully I can find something here, but most of the games seem to be full up, and I have absolutely no idea where to ask if anyone's interested in starting one up so I can learn how to play. So I figured I'd do a little intro post, say hi and hopefully get to know some of you, and maybe I'll snag a game at some point in time!

As a forewarning, I'm pretty awful at these introduction things. I never know what to say, so I'll just ramble until I lose steam! Okay. So, as previously mentioned, I'm Hugh! Hi, good to meet you, utter stranger of the internet! I'm 23, live in Ireland, work in a little IT shop and life's been picking up lately. I just need to miraculously stumble across a hidden group of people who share my interests, and we'll be golden. Speaking interests! I'm really into video games. Like. Seriously. I've been playing them since I was four year olds, and while I don't play them as much these days, that's mostly due to a lack of time or people to play them with regularly. I've got a Steam, if anyone's interested, and I'm usually game to play something if anyone feels like it! Lessee...Comics. I loooove comics. But I've only recently properly gotten into them, as comics are nigh impossible to get in Ireland without going to one of the capital cities, and then they're hugely expensive. So I mostly read them online, which isn't as good, but hey. We do what we must. I'm a big fan of Superman-type heroes, the Paragon style ones, and I have to say that my out-and-out favourite comic has to be Invincible. I love me some coming of age, superhero just starting out stories that have actual growth to them. If I could get in a campaign or roleplay like that, man, I'd be deliriously happy. As for roleplay, I've been doing it since I was about ten or eleven, primarily through writing on forums, though I've dabbled in Neverwinter Nights roleplay servers, MMOS, MUDs, and online voice campaigns. If you wanna see some examples of my stuff, here's a couple samples for your perusing pleasure! Anywho. My original stomping grounds was always something fantasy-based, but I've been doing that for so long now I've kinda grown tired of it, and I'd kill for a really good, original superhero roleplay. The thing is, they seem to be virtually non-existent. Which is sad! But a man can dream. Aaanyway. I also like Magic The Gathering, Warhammer, Pokemon, Digimon, Transformers, Gundam, and lots, and lots of other stuff.

So yeah! That's a vague, rambling outline of me in a nutshell. If you're still with me, kudos for your patience and attention span! I'm hoping to get in on a long-lasting, roleplay-focused game here at some point, but to be honest with you at this stage I'd be happy to just get in a game to learn the ropes, and make some pals. If anyone can point me in the direction for that sort of thing, I would love you forever. Or until I forger, or change my mind. Either or. Looking forward to meeting and talking to some of you, and if you feel like chitchatting at me, feel free to add me on skype, PM me, or ask for other contact detail shtuff. I'm usually up for shooting the breeze, if nothing else!

Rock on, internetlanders!

Re: Are introductions still cool? No? Ah well. Hi folks! New guy reporting in!

Welcome, sounds like you will fit right in.

This site has a large Play By Post area. Th elast few years I was doing a lot of travelling for work and other members of my local group had life get in the way too, so that has been most of my gaming for a while. We have a good bunch here, some good games, and lots of helpful people (even if we do bicker over rules at times).

You mentioned your local group was mostly fantasy. M&M at lower power levels PL 3-8 range actually plays fantasy really well too, 2E (lethal damage, slower recovery, etc from 2E fits better for non-supers games) a little more than 3E but still OK with 3E. It might be a good way to get them introduced to the system mechanics and see if they are interested even if superheroes aren't really their thing. M&M has become my go to set of mechanics for most genres over the last few years, although every system has its ups and downs.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

I certainly hope so!

Aye, I've noticed that, and I've taken a look a few times, but most of the games seem to be ongoing ones from a long time ago, or are full by the time I see them. I guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on them and see if I can jump in before it shuts! Been in any games here that you were particularly fond of? I'm a sucker for anecdotes! And hearing about people's characters. Got any favourites that you've made?

Aye, but they're all fairly full up on games as it is, and it's more the genre rather than the system that they have an issue with. They're just not big fans of superheroes and the like, unfortunately, and they're not looking to learn new systems any time soon.

Comment

New ones start all the time. I think there are 3-4 either just starting or in active recruiting at the moment.
        Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
        [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Hi Amondrask,

I'm across in Yorkshire so welcome. Understand your problem, took me ages to get my current players together and only after a) advertising in a number of local shops and b) running a number of short adventures so people who'd never played M&M before could see if it was their thing. It can take time but I'm proof its possible even when located out in the boons.

Good luck

Comment

Hey, SignalGK! Nice to hear from someone a little closer to home. And yeah, that's a pretty good idea. By shops, do you just mean, like..Any shops at all, or tabletop shops? 'cause we don't have those anywhere remotely near me, hah.

Comment

Originally posted by Amondrask View Post
              Hey, SignalGK! Nice to hear from someone a little closer to home. And yeah, that's a pretty good idea. By shops, do you just mean, like..Any shops at all, or tabletop shops? 'cause we don't have those anywhere remotely near me, hah.
              My nearest RPG shop's in either Manchester or Leeds so no, I used a A5 leaflet in the laundry, nearest newsagent etc. and included a throwaway email address (yip, I got some spam and idiots but having set up a temp email address it didn't matter). I'd also used copies of the DC freebie intro combat sheet with a label with that email on it for people to take copies (M&M has an even better one now at http://freeronin.com/3e_files/MnM3_Quickstart.pdf ) and I also had a brief guide prepared as to the type of game I wanted to GM ready to send out as part of my introduction...

Comment

Hmm. That might actually be an idea for me to go for. We have a small college nearby, I could ask to pin something on their bulletin board, and then ask to drop it around the various shops in town. Can't hurt, I guess! Thanks for the idea, friend! How'd you mean you used it with a label with the email address? Did you send the links out to people who emailed you? The wording's kinda throwing me, man, sorry.

Comment

How'd you mean you used it with a label with the email address? Did you send the links out to people who emailed you? The wording's kinda throwing me, man, sorry.
                  Actually I printed about ten copies out on my printer and left in the local library for people to pick up and added a sticky label with a message stating planning a series of superhero games and the throwaway email - If I'd thought about it I should have just added an extra page instead. Yes I also sent out a copy with my guidelines to anyone interested.

You might want to check out some ideas such as St Michael's at http://roninarmy.com/threads/1047-Session-Design-and-Flow?p=37295&viewfull=1#post37295 to design your own guidelines.

Comment

Ahhh! Thaaat's whatcha meant, I get you now. My bad! And that's pretty clever. How's your group been going, since you kinda randomed it? Any troubles or was it fairly smooth sailing?

And that's a wonderfully helpful link, Signal, thanks ever so much. You've been really cool about this!

Comment

Originally posted by Amondrask View Post
                      Ahhh! Thaaat's whatcha meant, I get you now. My bad! And that's pretty clever. How's your group been going, since you kinda randomed it? Any troubles or was it fairly smooth sailing?
                      Don't think there is any such thing as smooth sailing when running a superhero campaign and when you live in the country you can't always choose who you get as players. My current campaign started off with three players just over a year ago, one of whom dropped out after only two games (amicably BTW) because he decided he wanted to play a killer/loner character which didn't fit my detective/teamwork with detailed background type of campaign (yes he knew beforehand and supposedly created a team character but during actual play of the second game decided his character would go his own way and just kill others). One of my players brought one of his friends in (and bickers incessantly with him as to who can shout the loudest) I re-advertised and got another player and one of my original players from an earlier (non-M&M) campaign got in touch and they basically between them team leader the other two. It's not perfect but we always make sure everyone has their moment of glory (by making sure every character has some specific power of skill they are the expert in).

I did have a real downer of an adventure recently when I tried to fit the adventure around the complications of one of the Bickering Friends only to have it fall flat because he just wasn't interested in resolving the mystery behind his reason for adventuring even leaving a mysterious sister to die because he wasn't willing to get in character. I misread both him and his character so now I always make sure he gets his moments of glory in every adventure but is not the focus.

My previous campaign had a bigger turnover with a couple of limelight hoggers at the beginning that didn't fit the team dynamic and left when the adventures weren't always focusing on them and a couple of players that effectively rewrote their characters mid-campaign (such as a telekenetic and telepath who used his abilities to become a major mystic in a series of off-stage adventures etc. because he decided he really didn't like his original concept that much). All good in the end though I did kill a character that became too vigilante (deliberately failed to save children and bystanders during super villain attacks and was subsequently killed by one of the parents) though we did have a great funeral for him and there was talk about a quest to resurrect him (though that never actually came off). His next character was more in line with the campaign I was running.

I do try and get my players to help me to design the background such as as important NPCs and locations and even some of the villains and I even hand over certain characters to them to roleplay which often adds unexpected twists to an adventure. It also builds buy-in to the background in my mind. With new to superhero players I prefer gamers who have played say Call of Cthulhu or a Sci-Fi game over D&D players as the D&Ders seem to have more difficulty adjusting but that is probably just my personal prejudice.

Quite fancy running a high school campaign at some point but haven't really got the right players for that at present though two of them would probably be up for it (guess which two..?)

Any help?

Comment

Working...
                      X