Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions and (possible) errata

Okay,

So I'm rerunning the Quickstart, and since I have it now, we used the character generation rules to generate some characters and a bunch of new questions arose,

I'm thinking that because we generated characters randomly that our game was pretty atypical... Characters generated no weapon talents or foci, so they didn't get any weapons at all before the game started! Consequently the first fight was focussed on fisticuffs and grappling (and we all know about grappling rules in RPGs...)

I gather that some errata have been incorporated into the final version, but it has not yet been released? If so then some of these may have already been addressed.

Since I gather things have gone to print now, I'm guessing that we're in the territory or FAQ / Errata?

---

1/ Evaluation Talent: One of my players rolled Scavenger as their profession (p37), scavenger lists Evaluation as a Talent option - but Evaluation is a Focus, not a Talent?

2/ Blockade Stunt: One player gained the Protector Talent (p57) which benefits the use of the Blockade stunt. Blockade only appears in the rulebook in the Talent description and the Veteran stat block (and does not appear in the GM Kit), though I note it was in the playtest document but appears to have been dropped? Was the stunt ommitted by mistake or has Protector changed? There doesn't seem to be any other similar stunts.

3/ Multiple Churn point gains on one roll: When players roll well, is it intended that they can generate several churn points on one roll (p189)? If a player spends Fortune to alter a die roll, has a six on the Stunt die when making a succesful roll, and spends stunt points on the roll that's three churn on one roll? Intentional?

4/ SP and Churn: On that note, when it says A character spends 4 or more stunt points to perform a stunt, does that mean a single stunt costing 4+ SP, or spends 4+ SP on a single test? (i.e.: if I buy two stunts worth 2SP each, is that +1 Churn)

5/ Self-Defence Talent: Regarding the Self-Defence Style Talent (p57), when making the free grapple do I just resolve the Grapple stunt, or is it treated as a Stunt Attack with all that entails (see question 9 below for more on grapples)?

6/ Follow-up attacks: The section on Stunt Points (p16) says or a follow-up test required by another action, do not generate stunt points, does this mean that attacks triggered by the Lightening Attack and Double-Team stunts cannot themselves benefit from SP?

7/ Knock-Out stunt: The Knock Out stunt (p.95) implies that the fortune scores of adversaries are public knowledge? Is this the case?

8/ Breathers and Constitution: Why does Constitution help when taking a breather (p89)? I'm guessing that this is an artefact left over from settings where Fortune was HP instead? Constitution seems somewhat counterintuitive though? As a house-rule I was considering using a players highest single attribute insead.

9/ Grappling: Grappling, I'm guessing that the process works like this:
    a) Declare a Stunt Attack, nominate a target and a Stunt (grapple)
    b) Roll dice, if succesful generate 1SP for the nominated stunt, and additional SP as per the usual rules
    c) Trigger the grapple stunt, make an opposed roll to see if you pull off the grapple

This seems harsh - most stunts require no follow-up rolls (you can do +2D6 damage with no additional roll, but grappling requires a roll and is a fairly weak stunt on top, if you generate extra SP you can consolidate on it, but with grapple alone they effectively 'escape' at the start of your next action - you don't even get the benefit of the defense penalty you imposed!).
    How does the grappling focus work here - there isn't a "grapple" action so when does it apply? When I use 'Stunt Attack' and select a Grappling Stunt?
    What if you nominate a Stunt worth more than 1SP and fail to make enough SP to perform the stunt? Can you reassign the free SP? Or did you just fail?

---

Many thanks for any thoughts,
    Last edited by GLazelle; 03-26-2019, 04:57 PM.

Re: Questions and (possible) errata

Originally posted by GLazelle View Post

3/ Multiple Churn point gains on one roll: When players roll well, is it intended that they can generate several churn points on one roll (p189)? If a player spends Fortune to alter a die roll, has a six on the Stunt die when making a succesful roll, and spends stunt points on the roll that's three churn on one roll? Intentional?
    I would say yes. The point of churn is that your luck evens out in the end.

6/ Follow-up attacks: The section on Stunt Points (p16) says or a follow-up test required by another action, do not generate stunt points, does this mean that attacks triggered by the Lightening Attack and Double-Team stunts cannot themselves benefit from SP?
    yes. That stops a potential infinite chain of lightning attacks

7/ Knock-Out stunt: The Knock Out stunt (p.95) implies that the fortune scores of adversaries are public knowledge? Is this the case?
    I'm not sure the official answer, but I'm not a fan of something like this being public. I'm going to house rule it, so that another metric is used to determine if it works. The alternative is that players can try it, and then it just fails. I believe in Fantasy Age (I've not played Modern Age) any stunts that did this kind of thing had an opposed role so there was a chance of failure. Presumably they are trying to streamline the rules to not have the extra roll.

b) Roll dice, if succesful generate 1SP for the nominated stunt, and additional SP as per the usual rules
    c) Trigger the grapple stunt, make an opposed roll to see if you pull off the grapple
    Yeah, I'd have the player declaring the stunt attack also have to declare what stunt they're aiming for, so that the 'roll to succeed would actually be the opposed grapple roll. It does mean they can't change their minds if the do really well and get 6 SP.

Comment

Re: Questions and (possible) errata

Hi there !

1/ Evaluation Talent: One of my players rolled Scavenger as their profession (p37), scavenger lists Evaluation as a Talent option - but Evaluation is a Focus, not a Talent?
      Either it means the Specialization talent in Evaluation, or it's a mistake. Maybe Fringer would be a better-fitting talent for a Scavenger.

2/ Blockade Stunt: One player gained the Protector Talent (p57) which benefits the use of the Blockade stunt. Blockade only appears in the rulebook in the Talent description and the Veteran stat block (and does not appear in the GM Kit), though I note it was in the playtest document but appears to have been dropped? Was the stunt ommitted by mistake or has Protector changed? There doesn't seem to be any other similar stunts.
      That's corrected in the v 1.0, "3:Blockade" is back in the general combat stunts.

3/ Multiple Churn point gains on one roll: When players roll well, is it intended that they can generate several churn points on one roll (p189)? If a player spends Fortune to alter a die roll, has a six on the Stunt die when making a successful roll, and spends stunt points on the roll that's three churn on one roll? Intentional?
      Hey, why not ? The more churn points in the pool, the merrier it gets for the GM.

4/ SP and Churn: On that note, when it says A character spends 4 or more stunt points to perform a stunt, does that mean a single stunt costing 4+ SP, or spends 4+ SP on a single test? (i.e.: if I buy two stunts worth 2SP each, is that +1 Churn)
      Clearly, it's when you use 4 points to perform a (ie : one) stunt. Then you will ask, what happens if a character uses 3 points to do a "3:Bad Form" stunts then gets 4 points and performs "4:Flirt" ? Well, that's still spending 4 points in the end.

5/ Self-Defense Talent: Regarding the Self-Defense Style Talent (p57), when making the free grapple do I just resolve the Grapple stunt, or is it treated as a Stunt Attack with all that entails (see question 9 below for more on grapples)?
      It's not an attack, it's a free action. The main point here is that if you succeed in your opposed test, now you have the lad by the collar, and you're going to hit him with his -2 defense malus before he can act again and get loose. The cherry on top of the cake : if your next attack gives you stunt points, you can use them on general combat or grappling tables, since you're already grappling him.
      The odd thing is that the Self-defense Style requires the Fighting (Brawling) focus, but uses the Fighting (Grappling) focus. A mistake, maybe ?

You're correct. These are clearly follow-ups triggered by the first action that allowed the stunts.

Not necessarily. You can just hope that you have weakened your target enough before performing this stunt (or Injure or Wound that work the same way). If your opponent still have plenty of luck/breath/mojo or whatever Fortune is, well, you just lose your SP.

8/ Breathers and Constitution: Why does Constitution help when taking a breather (p89)? I'm guessing that this is an artifact left over from settings where Fortune was HP instead? Constitution seems somewhat counter-intuitive though? As a house-rule I was considering using a players highest single attribute instead.
      Well, you're the GM. I bet you're correct when you guess this is an inheritance from Hit Points. Still, when you're taking your breath, this involves your Constitution. It's not a bad idea to let fighter-types characters who should have a good Constitution to benefit from it, since they tend to need their Fortune Points very much...

b) Roll dice, if successful generate 1SP for the nominated stunt, and additional SP as per the usual rules

This seems harsh - most stunts require no follow-up rolls (you can do +2D6 damage with no additional roll, but grappling requires a roll and is a fairly weak stunt on top, if you generate extra SP you can consolidate on it, but with grapple alone they effectively 'escape' at the start of your next action - you don't even get the benefit of the defense penalty you imposed!).
      How does the grappling focus work here - there isn't a "grapple" action so when does it apply? When I use 'Stunt Attack' and select a Grappling Stunt?
      What if you nominate a Stunt worth more than 1SP and fail to make enough SP to perform the stunt? Can you reassign the free SP? Or did you just fail?
      Actually, you don't have to choose the grappling stunt before throwing the dice. Focus here means that you focus on a grappling attack, not a grappling stunt.
      If your attack succeeds, you get at least 1 stunt point to perform a 1:Hinder or 1:Grapple. If you get a double, jackpot ! You can choose whatever stunt you can afford.
      That is however, risky. A normal melee attack would probably be more rewarding. Maybe the point is just that : grappling should be something attempted as a last resort, unless you are a Self-defense expert.
      Thomas Trolljaeger
      Du plomb dans le virtuel
      Caution, contains french gibberish and nonsense.

Comment

Working...
      X