Rules Question: Running and Moving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Question: Running and Moving

Each turn a player gets a major and minor action. Can a PC Run/Chase as their major action and move as their minor action for three times their speed movement?

Re: Rules Question: Running and Moving

Hello,

Originally posted by DMLeitch View Post
    Each turn a player gets a major and minor action. Can a PC Run/Chase as their major action and move as their minor action for three times their speed movement?
    RAW:
    Pg 84 CRB tells you that you may choose actions as follows: either no action, or one minor action, or two minor actions, or one major and one minor action. If you choose more than one action you may choose which one is first.

The exemplary major and minor actions on pg 85 CRB describe RUN as major action and MOVE as minor action. The descriptions don‘t provide information which makes any one an exclusive.

To the contrary: While RUN cannot be combined with standing up from prone, MOVE allows you to do so by sacrificing half your speed for this MOVE (minor) action. Now imagine a situation where someone is prone and wants to jump-start into a flight in order to avoid serious harm or danger - s/he MOVEs while getting up as the first (minor) action and RUNs with the second (major) action.

Another typical scene: you RUN and dive for cover; MOVE describes that you may sacrifice half your speed while falling prone or whatever. I would assume that RUN is just that and would require a (minor) action MOVE to combine running with jumping into a cover.

Thus: You may combine both movement styles - even without additional things like dropping to the ground, getting up or whatever. Therefore you are able to move up to three times your speed during a single combat round.

Just my understanding; I may be proven wrong.

Best wishes!
    Cpt. Cthulhu
    The stars are right. Always. If you disagree, Cpt. Cthulhu swallows your soul.

Comment

Re: Rules Question: Running and Moving

Our interpretations align. Your explanation is percise and appreciated.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X