Rules Question: Defending from multiple attacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Question: Defending from multiple attacks

The Roci is headed to Io, and is intercepted by six destroyers. After some tense maneuvering, torpedoes are fired!

Naomi tries to practice EW! Does she roll versus one particular ship, all ships (potentially getting benefits from each one that fails), just against the highest of all opposing...?

Bobbie fires the PDC. Does she roll once and either shoots down all the incoming torpedoes, be it 1, 2, or 1,000? Does she roll individually versus each one, possibly with some sort of increasing penalty? If the Roci has sensors 6, because it's a hero ship, and the destroyers have sensor 1 or 0, is it possible for the Roci to shoot down 1,000,000,000 torpedoes a round?

Bobbie only shot down 999,999,994 torpedoes, Alex hits high-G maneuvers to try to dodge the remaining 6! How does he roll that? If he does six torpedoes at a +6 bonus, does that mean the crew has to take 6 Constitution (Stamina) TN14 tests, or just one because it's one period of high-G?

Re: Rules Question: Defending from multiple attacks

Hello,

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
    The Roci is headed to Io, and is intercepted by six destroyers. After some tense maneuvering, torpedoes are fired!

Naomi tries to practice EW! Does she roll versus one particular ship, all ships (potentially getting benefits from each one that fails), just against the highest of all opposing...?

Bobbie fires the PDC. Does she roll once and either shoots down all the incoming torpedoes, be it 1, 2, or 1,000? Does she roll individually versus each one, possibly with some sort of increasing penalty? If the Roci has sensors 6, because it's a hero ship, and the destroyers have sensor 1 or 0, is it possible for the Roci to shoot down 1,000,000,000 torpedoes a round?

Bobbie only shot down 999,999,994 torpedoes, Alex hits high-G maneuvers to try to dodge the remaining 6! How does he roll that? If he does six torpedoes at a +6 bonus, does that mean the crew has to take 6 Constitution (Stamina) TN14 tests, or just one because it's one period of high-G?
    I am not certain, but I would deal with your situation as follows:

Naomie rolls once against all ships, and I would go for the one with the highest Sensor Strength.
    Bobbie fires the PDC once.
    The high-G maneuver takes place once asking for each character to pass the Constitution check just once.

My solution is practically based on the combat example on pg 137 and 138 CRB, which describes how the Roci is attacked by two stealth ship, each one shooting a torpedo at the Roci, anf how the Roci handles the situation.

Having said that, though, maybe I would choose another ruling if the circumstances ask for a different treatment. My best guess is: go with your guts and your playstyle; the rule-set is open enough for any approach.

Best wishes!
    Cpt. Cthulhu
    The stars are right. Always. If you disagree, Cpt. Cthulhu swallows your soul.

Comment

Re: Rules Question: Defending from multiple attacks

Good find on page 137!

How I would personally run it, with my ~3 day old understanding of the rules, is for every full 2 points you exceed the TN you can dodge/shoot down an additional projectile, because RAW there's no difference to being targeting by an infinite number of torpedoes or one, the PDCs have an equal chance of protecting you and there's no chance of situations exactly like Io where some of the incoming projectiles are shot down and some need to be dodged. But, I'm very excited not to be running this game and am looking forwards to being a player for the first time in quite a while.

At the player level, I see multiple incoming attacks just depleting fortune, which makes sense to me - eventually your luck just runs out, and that's fine, but the system is a bit different in space so I'm looking for the rules-supported way of handling the interaction!

Comment

Working...
      X