Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running the Quickstart Adventure

hello everyone

so this week we have a break from our main campaign so I am going to use this opportunity to run the quick start adventure

so my question to the group

Has anyone played this? and if so did you add anything to it?

thanks in advance
    Currently Playing:
    An Arl's Ransom - Xavier [url]http://roninarmy.com/threads/282-Characters-An-Arl-s-Ransom?p=8484&viewfull=1#post8484[/url]

Currently Running:
    Betrayer of Asgard - Conan converted over to Dragon Age <link to be added later>

Re: Running the Quickstart Adventure

I had a GM try to run it as a PbP but for various reasons, it did not get finished. Which is too bad as I was really enjoying RPing Casey Khatri and watching her come to life.

I am planning to run it for one or more of my home groups and from there launch a campaign.

How did it run for you? Did you change or add anything?

Comment

One of the characters doesn’t work. She has a talent but not the required skill focus for it. Casey Khitri has grapple talent, but a focus in brawl.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleHairedGamer View Post
        One of the characters doesn’t work. She has a talent but not the required skill focus for it. Casey Khitri has grapple talent, but a focus in brawl.
        During character creation you can end up with talents without the prereqs due to background choices. Once character creation has finished you have to follow prereqs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
          During character creation you can end up with talents without the prereqs due to background choices. Once character creation has finished you have to follow prereqs.
          On that note, do prerequisites only apply to acquiring talents, or do they apply to advancing them as well?

e.g.: If I gain the Agility talent at novice (req. Agility 2 and the Acrobatics focus) during character generation but lack the focus, dexterity score or both, can I improve the Talent, or is it "locked" until I gain the relevent focus and/or ability score?

Comment

I ran the QS a few months ago, during a gaming weekend with my group.

It ran pretty well, even for someone new to GRP and how they design and write adventures, thinking of their lead-clue-setup in particular.

The story is a good starting point for a group - whether using the pre-mades or making your own using the core rules. It is simple enough, with nice elements that any viewer or reader of the series would instantly recognise. It sets a nice tone.

I added nothing, just ran it straight as a written, was more than enough for my players to deal with - I did shorten the ending a bit, particularly because of actions on my players' part, and some ridiculous rolling and amount of stunt points produced on almost every roll.

I intend to tweak it for when I start a campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by GLazelle View Post
              On that note, do prerequisites only apply to acquiring talents, or do they apply to advancing them as well?

e.g.: If I gain the Agility talent at novice (req. Agility 2 and the Acrobatics focus) during character generation but lack the focus, dexterity score or both, can I improve the Talent, or is it "locked" until I gain the relevent focus and/or ability score?
              Page 45, under "Advancement", says you can only advance talents if you meet all the requirements, so it follows, at least to me, that if you got an "illegal" talent during char gen you would have to retroactively get the requirements before advancing it.

Comment

Ta Wombats, I'd missed that,

Comment

We ran "Cupbearer" last September, among friends, some of them already fans of The Expanse from the books or the series, in order to have a try with this new RPG.
                  I was the GM, here is a report (in French, sorry).
                  Neither of us knew the AGE system before, but it was quick to learn.

We had some problems with the stunt tables, since most of my players are a bit english challenged and I hadn't enough time to translate them.
                  Now it's done, next game sessions will be more easy.

The adventure is well designed to introduce the system to new players, even to a new GM, but lacks a bit of detail. Reading the novels up to the Caliban War helps a lot, since the second book takes place quite often on Ganymede.
                  According to my players, among the pre-generated characters, Ade and Casey were the funniest to play. If I were a player I myself would have loved to play Addison, the "talk softly, carry a big wench" way.
                  We ran the adventure to its end, and the characters succeded in bringing back a not-so-happy Kai Dardanus to its caring family, making some useful contacts (Parvati the OPA cell leader, Wendell the rent-a-cop from Pinkwater's), and bitter ennemies (Orn Aquilo and the Loca Greiga). The next time on Ganymede will be interesting.
                  With their hard-earned money, the characters paid up the mortgage of the Sommelier, and they now their own ship, albeit a small, old one. They are in the process of gaining a level, too. Maybe their Relation will get to level 2. We'll have a small bookkeeping phase just before the start of the next session, as it seems that Tycho station is missing some mormons...
                  Thomas Trolljaeger
                  Du plomb dans le virtuel
                  Caution, contains french gibberish and nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by GMLovlie View Post
                    It ran pretty well, even for someone new to GRP and how they design and write adventures, thinking of their lead-clue-setup in particular.
                    I'm running Cupbearer as a one-shot for Free RPG Day on Sunday. One thing that became apparent from my test-run and which I haven't come up with a good solution to is how to have a strong start with users who aren't familiar with the system, and may not be all that familiar with RPGing in general. Has anyone come up with a good way to introduce the concept of investigating and getting the PCs off on the right food? Also, i'm a little unclear about how the clues/leads system works in Scene 1. Is #1 automatic? How much do you dole out? How would players know what to search for? Anys hints would be appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                    X