Electronic Warfare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Warfare

I'm confused about the Electronic Warfare phase during space combat. The rulebook says:

Originally posted by The Expanse RPG, 132
    Roll an electronic warfare test for each ship involved in the combat. This is an opposed Intelligence (Technology) test plus the ship’s Sensors score, against a target number of 11.

The winner of the test gains a bonus equal to half the Drama Die (round up), which can be applied to either all defensive
    actions or the TN to evade the winning ship’s attacks that round.
    If it's an opposed test, why is there a TN? If it's a roll against a TN, how is the winner determined? Or is it meant that everyone who succeeds the roll against 11 gets the bonus?

Does only the ship with the highest roll gets a bonus or every ship per opposing party? Can that bonus be shared between friendly ships? What if three parties are involved, whose rolle are being compared then?

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by mrkwnzl; 06-01-2019, 01:16 AM. Reason: Typo
    My AGE Character Sheets: https://roninarmy.com/forum/dragon-age-rpg-age-system/modern-age/8450-age-fan-made-character-sheets

So for the first part of your question, the answer is on page 18 at the bottom. Essentially, since it is an opposed test, the highest roll wins (and the drama die is the tie breaker). However, since the target number is 11, you must roll at least that on your technology roll for your score to count. If neither player rolls at least an 11, neither can win the opposed test.

For the second part, the way I read it is that only one ship will get the bonus from electronic warfare, no matter how many ships are involved. I suppose you could house rule this for allied ships, but I interpret it as at most one ship getting the bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by alagron View Post
      So for the first part of your question, the answer is on page 18 at the bottom. Essentially, since it is an opposed test, the highest roll wins (and the drama die is the tie breaker). However, since the target number is 11, you must roll at least that on your technology roll for your score to count. If neither player rolls at least an 11, neither can win the opposed test.
      Oh yeah, I missed that. Thanks a lot!

But I've got to say, it's quite hidden. No mention of a possible TN in the general description of opposed rolls, but taken for granted (as if it was explained above) in the step-by-step explanation.

Originally posted by alagron View Post
      For the second part, the way I read it is that only one ship will get the bonus from electronic warfare, no matter how many ships are involved. I suppose you could house rule this for allied ships, but I interpret it as at most one ship getting the bonus.
      Given how opposed rolls work, that would be my understanding, too. What confuses me is the detailed example at the end of the chapter. There it says:

Originally posted by The Expanse RPG, 137
      Naomi begins broadcasting chatter to disrupt ladar scans from the station. The stealth ships also spray chaff and laser chatter as they move in opposite directions. This is an Intelligence (Technology) test, plus the Rocinante's Sensors. Naomi rolls poorly while the stealth ships roll well, giving them a bonus equal to half the Drama Die, or +2, to apply to either defensive actions or evasion target numbers this round.
      It sounds to me as if both stealth ships get the bonus or as if they can share that bonus, at least. But maybe it's meant that either of those stealth ships gets the bonus because it doesn't really matter which one it is. And sharing the bonus will probably not break anything.
      Last edited by mrkwnzl; 06-01-2019, 01:17 AM.
      My AGE Character Sheets: https://roninarmy.com/forum/dragon-age-rpg-age-system/modern-age/8450-age-fan-made-character-sheets

Comment

Originally posted by mrkwnzl View Post

It sounds to me as if both stealth ships get the bonus or as if they can share that bonus, at least. But maybe it's meant that either of those stealth ships gets the bonus because it doesn't really matter which one it is. And sharing the bonus will probably not break anything.
        I think that the rules as written are pretty clear that only one ship gets the bonus from Electronic Warfare. If I had to guess, I think the example from the book is handled similarly to how initiative is handled for minor NPCs. They basically get a single roll since they are not overly important. Like you said, it probably won't break anything , but that is not the way I interpret the rules as written. I don't think that rolling for 2-3 NPC ships would have been too overwhelming for a Game Master.

Hypothetically, maybe if you had half a dozen ships attacking something like the Donnager, I would switch to the example in the book and let the ships split their bonus however they choose. It would be nice to have a clause included in the rules to cover this, but while fighting a dozen NPCs is reasonably likely, taking on a dozen warships probably is not, unless the campaign is pretty grand in scale.

Comment

Working...
        X