No announcement yet.

Modern AGE. Anyone played it? Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern AGE. Anyone played it? Thoughts?

A thread over on another forum in which I came to the realization that I'm so burned out on the Fantasy Pseudo-Medieval Genre got me thinking about what I'd like to play/run in the future. I'd supported the The Expanse RPG over on kickstarter and it dawned on me that it seems to be sorta based around the Modern Age RPG by Green Ronin.

I've played a little Fantasy AGE so have some idea how the AGE system works but was curious if any others have experienced/used the Modern AGE version and what their experiences were with it.

Thanks!
    [B]ArtWend[/B]
    Doors and Corners
    Excitedly [B]READING[/B] The Expanse RPG

Re: Modern AGE. Anyone played it? Thoughts?

I am running a Modern Age campaign (three game sessions so far). The game works fine, even elegantly. The rules are very similar to the previous Age games, but not identical.

The only somewhat difficult aspect of the rules are the class requirements for backgrounds and profession. I decided to handle them loosely; if a player has a character concept that I think viable, they can have it, even when class requirements as written are not quite compatible.

Our group prefers exploration/investigation and social encounters to combat. Even that approach works very well; there is a stupendous selection of stunts for that sort of game and very decent rules for investigating and negotiating.

I recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Klueless View Post
      I've played a little Fantasy AGE so have some idea how the AGE system works but was curious if any others have experienced/used the Modern AGE version and what their experiences were with it.
      Currently running two different genre games with it, and playing in two more. I am running a Modern AGE Urban Fantasy, which I have been running since August, as well as a Modern AGE crime drama (no magic). I am working on converting a Savage Worlds / d20 Modern setting I created a while back as well, because it's a great system. It's easily customizable, and diverse enough to represent a myriad different genres, each using the same core mechanics but feeling different from each other enough that it doesn't feel like a different coat of paint on the same game. I really enjoy it and highly recommend it for anyone wanting to play something modern

I am a little behind in posting notes, but here is the campaign I have been running since August
      Last edited by Kythkyn; 02-25-2019, 12:38 PM.
      Signatures are broken?

Comment

Originally posted by rulandor View Post
        Our group prefers exploration/investigation and social encounters to combat. Even that approach works very well; there is a stupendous selection of stunts for that sort of game and very decent rules for investigating and negotiating.
        They must have really expanded this section, as I seem to recall there were few stunts outside of combat. Thanks for the info!

I recommend it.
        Thanks!
        [B]ArtWend[/B]
        Doors and Corners

Comment

Originally posted by Kythkyn View Post
          Currently running two different genre games with it, and playing in two more. I am running a Modern AGE Urban Fantasy, which I have been running since August, as well as a Modern AGE crime drama (no magic). I am working on converting a Savage Worlds / d20 Modern setting I created a while back as well, because it's a great system. It's easily customizable, and diverse enough to represent a myriad different genres, each using the same core mechanics but feeling different from each other enough that it doesn't feel like a different coat of paint on the same game. I really enjoy it and highly recommend it for anyone wanting to play something modern
          These sorts of comments fill me with hope. I've ordered it to take a closer look. Thanks!

I am a little behind in posting notes, but here is the campaign I have been running since August
          Very nice!
          [B]ArtWend[/B]
          Doors and Corners

Comment

Originally posted by rulandor View Post
            I am running a Modern Age campaign (three game sessions so far). The game works fine, even elegantly. The rules are very similar to the previous Age games, but not identical.

The only somewhat difficult aspect of the rules are the class requirements for backgrounds and profession. I decided to handle them loosely; if a player has a character concept that I think viable, they can have it, even when class requirements as written are not quite compatible.

I recommend it.
            Remember that prerequisites for talents are not required at level 1.

Comment

I've run 2 sessions of a Cthulhu/Cyberpunk mashup, and I'm planning a 3rd. Rules work well and stay out of the way, which is what rules should do. I need to get a copy of the Lazarus book so I can look at cybernetics.

Comment

The Modern AGE Companion will have rules for extraordinary abilities which can be done as cyberware, and the Threefold setting will include posthuman augmentation as a character option.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
                  The Modern AGE Companion will have rules for extraordinary abilities which can be done as cyberware, and the Threefold setting will include posthuman augmentation as a character option.
                  Any idea when we might see that Malcolm? I'm looking forward to the MAGE Companion.
                  DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
                  [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?manufacturers_id=648]Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.[/url]

Comment

Sounds great, can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchpad View Post
                      Any idea when we might see that Malcolm? I'm looking forward to the MAGE Companion.
                      It's currently in layout with art coming in and a cover prototype, so sooner rather than later. Months. It'll be the first print release for the game after the core and GM kit.

Comment

It's currently in layout with art coming in and a cover prototype, so sooner rather than later. Months. It'll be the first print release for the game after the core and GM kit.
                        Awesome! Thanks for the info, Malcolm.
                        DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
                        [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?manufacturers_id=648]Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.[/url]

Comment

I can't wait!
                          Signatures are broken?

Comment

Working...
                          X