Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasting Power Stunt

Hello,

I was wondering about the Lasting Power Stunt. It says that powers which last for the rest of the encounter are extended by 1d6 minutes. I'm not sure I get the use of that. Most encounters in my games last way more than 6 minutes in-game time. For combat encounters, I don't see the point. Spells that last through the rest of the encounter last through the whole combat anyway, and 1d6 minutes won't last through the next encounter.

So what's the point of that Stunt for powers with a duration of one encounter? Or is that en error and the duration should be increased to 1d6 hours instead?

Thanks!
    My AGE Character Sheets: https://roninarmy.com/forum/dragon-age-rpg-age-system/modern-age/8450-age-fan-made-character-sheets

1d6 minutes is 4-24 rounds, which is significant in encounter/action time, especially at low levels where it is likely to effectively double a power's duration. Stretching and stacking this is not out of line at higher levels.

Comment

Thanks, Malcolm.

But I'm not sure how that stunt helps for powers which last the whole encounter anyway. I don't have my book with me, so I can't give a specific example right now. But let's say that one casts a spell which lasts the whole encounter, and wants to extend the duration with the Lasting Power Stunt. Even if the combat takes 24 rounds, the power lasts through the whole combat anyway (and if the encounter is longer than that the Stunt actually let's the power lasts shorter). Unless there is an immediate (like a few seconds later) second action encounter after the first one, the Lasting Power Stunt is pretty inconsequential, is it not?

What am I missing here?
      My AGE Character Sheets: https://roninarmy.com/forum/dragon-age-rpg-age-system/modern-age/8450-age-fan-made-character-sheets

Comment

The end of action time (combat, etc.) should be considered the end of an encounter, even if you're hanging around in the same place.

Comment

I think I failed at communicating my problem properly. I now have access to my book, so let me try again.

Here's what the Lasting Power stunt says:

Originally posted by Modern AGE Basic Rulebook, 93
          Lasting Power: If the power has a duration beyond instantaneous, it remains in effect twice as long with no additional PP cost. Burning Shield would last 2 rounds per point of Willpower instead of 1, for example. Powers that last until the end of the encounter are extended by 1d6 minutes instead.
          If I understand this correctly, there are two applications of this stunt:

(1) If the duration of the stunt is neither instantaneous nor until the end of the encounter, double the duration.

(2) If the duration if the stunt is until the end of the encounter, add 1d6 minutes to the duration.

I understand application (1). That makes sense to me. I'm not sure about application (2). The only real use I see for that is if one uses a power in an encounter (either social, action, or exploration), with an immediate action encounter following that first encounter. For all other uses, the extended duration seems way too short to matter.

For example, during a social encounter, Alice uses her the power Premonition and uses 3 SP to use the Lasting Power stunt. It now lasts for one encounter plus 1d6 minutes. Let's say she rolled a three, so her Premonition lasts for one encounter plus 3 minutes. Now there are some possibilities about what happens next.

(A) This is what happens most im my games. There is a little time gap between encounters, and usually more than 3 minutes. In this case the stunt has basically no effect for Alice. She needs to activate the power again in the next encounter.

(B) The next encounter happens immediately and it's either a social or exploration encounter. Since those encounters usually last way longer than three minutes in my game, Alice can barely get a use out of the stunt (if any) and she will need to activate the power again during the encounter.

(C) The next encounter happens immediately and it's an action encounter. She now can use the power for 12 rounds of action time.

My concern is that the additional time one gets for powers that lasts until the end of the encounter is so short that it only affects the game in a very specific set of circumstances (i.e., [C]). For that reason, I thought I might have missed something.

And maybe to give a little context as to how I came to ask myself this question: I'm a big fan of the occult rites rules from Threefold, but at first sight they lacked a way to extend the duration of the powers. I then realized that this could be achieved by using Gnosis on the Lasting Power Stunt, but then the time it takes to perform the ritual would be wasted when one wants to extend the duration of a power that lasts until the end of the encounter under most circumstances in my games.

Comment

Working...
          X