Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Threefold] Questions regarding Incessance

Hello,

I have some questions regarding Incessance in Threefold. While the rules itself are pretty clear, I'm having troubles understanding which items, powers, or creatures are affected and how.

In the other thread, Malcolm clarified that each plane follows their own rules, while there is a general trend among types of planes. In the book, these are as follows:
    • Alatum (Otherwold): +5 vs. items and creatures of technology and the occult.
    • Alhadiqa (Earth): +5 vs. items and creatures of magic and +2 vs. items and creatures of the occult.
    • Earth (Earth): +4 vs. items and creatures of magic and the occult.
    • The Fetter (Netherworld): +3 vs. items and creatures of technology and magic.
    • Vigrith (Otherworld): +3 vs. items and creatures of technology and the occult.
    • Wartorn (Otherworld): +2 vs. items and creatures of technology and the occult.
    So far, this seems to be clear. On pages 115-6, this is generalized like this (as far as I understand this):
    • Earth and Alts: Incessance affects magic, but not extraordinary powers (except they are permanent or last longer than one encounter). Incessance affects the effects of magic or powers, but not the power itself or its user. It affects magical and occult extraordinary items. Technology is not affected.
    • Otherworlds: Incessance affects advanced technology because of Kanna.
    • Netherworlds: Incessance affects spells and technology if those effects don't fit the designed plane's intention for suffering. But never occult effects or powers.
    The effect of Incessance is a penalty of -1 to tests involving the use of an affected power, item, or creature, plus any effect of stunts. Assuming I got it right this far, here come my questions:

Question 1: The idea is that, in general, Incessance on Earth-Worlds affects Arcana and the Occult, on Otherwolds Augmentations and the Occult, and on Netherworlds Arcana and Augmentations. Is that right?

I am asking because the specific planes seem to work like that, but the more general description for Earth-Worlds mentions only magic (which usually seems to refer to Arcana only) and not the occult, while the description for Otherworlds only mentions technology and not the occult.

Question 2: Regarding Earth, it says that Incessance affects magic, but not extraordinary powers, except for powers which have a lasting or permanent effect, and only the effect, but not its users. What does that mean? Let's say I have a character from Vigrith with the Fire Arcana talent, call him Wizzy. Is Wizzy considered a partially supernatural creature when it comes to Incessance? If an Incessance roll of 15 or higher is rolled (and let's ignore Stunts at this point) on Earth, what happens? Does Wizzy get a -1 to all tests involving casting Flame Blast? Does the Flame Blast make -1 damage (as only the effect is affected, not the user or power itself)? Or does nothing happen, because Flame Blast is not a permanent or lasting effect?

Question 3: Is the limitation that only lasting effects as it seems to be the case on Earth-like worlds active on other planes? Take Wizzy again, but this time he's visiting The Fetter, again with an Incessance roll of 15 or higher. How is Wizzy or his Fire Arcana affected?

Question 4: How does in Incessance work with Augmentations? Most Augmentations don't require a roll. Are those only affected by stunts? Or is in this case the whole creature affected, giving them a penalty of -1 because they are partially technological creatures?

Question 5: On Netherworlds, are only powers, items, or creatures affected which go against the intended design of suffering? The Fetter seems to imply that all powers, items, or creatures of technology and magic are affected (as there is nothing else mentioned), but the more general description seems to contradict that.

Thanks a lot!
    My AGE Character Sheets: https://roninarmy.com/forum/dragon-age-rpg-age-system/modern-age/8450-age-fan-made-character-sheets

1) This is a good general look at it, yes.

2) Nothing would happen. The main control on Arcana is the lack of kanna itself. Magic items and creatures with innate magic, as opposed to learned stuff, would be affected, and magical effects that hang around would be affected without affecting the user per se.

3) It'd basically be the same, but you can rule otherwise and allow Incessance stunts to springboard on individual spells.

4) You'd use the very high difficulty for affecting creatures, and they would suffer penalties where their augmentations come into play, and be affected by stunts.

5) It depends on the Netherworld, but the occult tends to get a free pass.

Comment

Thank you, Malcolm! It's much clearer for me now. I'm looking forward to my first session next Tuesday.
      My AGE Character Sheets: https://roninarmy.com/forum/dragon-age-rpg-age-system/modern-age/8450-age-fan-made-character-sheets

Comment

After our last game, we were unsure about some things. I was hoping, you could clarify on those, Malcom.

1) If we understood correctly, human characters are not affected by Incessance per se. What about characters that have some kind of extraordinary ability, like Arcana, the occult and augmentations. Those are generally not affected, as you clarified for question 2 above. But there are Stunts which affect the access to spells or augmentations or which drain PP, such as Drain, Breakdown, Backlash, or Disjunction.

Are those stunts meant for such characters? If yes, do they have a resistance of 20 (for human) or 15 (for partially supernatural or technological creature)?

2) The stunt Disjunction permanently removes one extraordinary ability (spell or augmentation). Augmentations might be repaired or replaced, but is there a way to restore lost spells? If not, that seems really harsh, doesn’t it?

Thanks!

Comment

1) Unless the stunt specifies otherwise, special effects affect whatever the Incessance test was triggered by. So if an item triggered Drain, Drain affects the item. Thus, you would not select that stunt for an item that doesn't have PP.

2) The character should get back the talent slot (or equivalent option) for reassignment next level, at which point it could be regained or relearned.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
            1) Unless the stunt specifies otherwise, special effects affect whatever the Incessance test was triggered by. So if an item triggered Drain, Drain affects the item. Thus, you would not select that stunt for an item that doesn't have PP.
            Thank you very much! Two follow ups:

(1) What do you mean by triggered? I was under the impression that the GM rolls one Incessance test at the beginning of every encounter (or every 24 hours) for all things that could be affected (see Threefold, p. 116).

(2) And what about the characters? Let’s say there’s a PC that has an Arcana Talent and is on Earth. The GM rolls the Incessance test, beats the resistance score of the character (15, I guess, being partially supernatural) and rolls doubles, generating 6 SP. Could that character be affected by Drain to the effect that they lose 6 PP or even Disjunction to the effect that they permanently lose access to one spell?

I guess what I’m confused about is what Incessance affects and what not in the case of Arcana and the Occult. In the book, it says “Incessance does not affect extraordinary powers unless they have effects lasting longer than an encounter (beyond damaging or healing creatures, or wrecking or fixing existing objects), and Incessance applies to the effects, not the power or user” (p. 115). So no -1 for casting spells as the effect of Incessance (as you have clarified above). But then there are Stunts that affect the user directly, like Drain or Disjunction.
            Last edited by mrkwnzl; 11th November 2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrkwnzl View Post

Thank you very much! Two follow ups:

(1) What do you mean by triggered? I was under the impression that the GM rolls one Incessance test at the beginning of every encounter (or every 24 hours) for all things that could be affected (see Threefold, p. 116).
              The object or person that prompted the roll is its trigger.

(2) And what about the characters? Let’s say there’s a PC that has an Arcana Talent and is on Earth. The GM rolls the Incessance test, beats the resistance score of the character (15, I guess, being partially supernatural) and rolls doubles, generating 6 SP. Could that character be affected by Drain to the effect that they lose 6 PP or even Disjunction to the effect that they permanently lose access to one spell?

I guess what I’m confused about is what Incessance affects and what not in the case of Arcana and the Occult. In the book, it says “Incessance does not affect extraordinary powers unless they have effects lasting longer than an encounter (beyond damaging or healing creatures, or wrecking or fixing existing objects), and Incessance applies to the effects, not the power or user” (p. 115). So no -1 for casting spells as the effect of Incessance (as you have clarified above). But then there are Stunts that affect the user directly, like Drain or Disjunction.
              Those stunts may indeed follow you back in the rare situations they prompt a test, but it's largely a GM call as well. Remember that Incessance stunts are stunts, which mean they must have narrative grounding. In practical terms this means if I stunt feels inconsistent with your vision, don't implement it--and in most cases the GM picks Incessance stunts anyway.

Comment

Wait, are there different Incessance rolls for each item or creature that only occurs when it’s being used or uses some kind of ability, respectively? I thought there is one roll which affects all items at the same time, triggered only by the mere existence of the items or creatures in the plane.

I haven’t had the impression of something prompting the test.

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
                Remember that Incessance stunts are stunts, which mean they must have narrative grounding.
                There’s my problem. I don’t understand the metaphysics of Incessance, so I can’t make an informed decision about what’s appropriate for narrative grounding. It doesn’t really help that I as a GM could make up my own mind about it, because I need some guidelines to enable me to make that informed decision, to form a vision for my game in the first place.
                Last edited by mrkwnzl; 11th November 2019, 02:52 PM.

Comment

1) It's always one test, triggered by whatever violates local dictums, which are defined by what the Incessance bonus applies to. If multiple circumstances trigger the test, you choose what it specifically affects based on your understanding of the dictums in play.

2) It's about those dictums, which are based on individual planes, which are in turn based on trends by plane type, which are ultimately due to the Aions' influence. On a meta-level, dictums are based on the story theme of the plane, so as GM, you ask yourself whether something breaks that theme, as informed by all the other elements mentioned. It's a judgment call, but an informed one.

Comment

For me, it's real fun to play around with Incessance. For my campaign, I constructed a Heterarchy plane which had started as a Netherworld. Later hosts of the Divine Empire overrun it and killed the resident Alastor, and again later a renegade Optimate made the plane his personal estate. Then again, the Nighthost took an enclave from him. I wanted this plane to be Fantasy and Steampunk mishmash, and I consolidated the diverse influences in a dictum determining that Magic and Occult Powers are completely free, but any technology above steam power and crude and huge appliances of early electricity and early Zeppelins meets an Incessance of +4.

Comment

Working...
                    X