Threefold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threefold

Three days out, and nobody's talking about it? It's a lot to take in, but still ...
    Check out my new super hero/science fiction novel, [url=https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/618254]Unbelievable: A Tale of the Exotica Chronicles[/url].

I'm not through the book, yet, but I really like what I've read so far. The Metacosm seems well fleshed out, which is a plus. There's lots of room the the PCs and ideas how adventures in this setting could look like.

There's a system for rituals which let you use psionics over great distances and even psionics you haven't learned, yet. That is exceptionally cool and a great addition for every urban fantasy game.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the nomenclature and categorization. There's always not only one name for a thing and there's so much gods and forces and laws and organizations that I haven't got a good overview, yet. That's not bad, per se, but it makes reading through the history difficult for me. I need time and quiet to read through it.

Here and there there’s a bit ambiguity, I think. Most notably in the case of Incessanse. I read through the rules a few times and I'm not sure I get how it works. Not that the rules are difficult to grasp, but I'm not sure when to apply the rules. I don't have a tight enough grasp the the metaphysics of the game to decide that. For example, does someone with technological enhancements count as a cyborg? Do extraordinary powers get a penalty on planes other than Earth-worlds? Does the Occult get a penalty on Otherworlds? There are some spots in the rule that seem to contradict each other. The book doesn't do the best job explaining that, I think.
    My AGE Character Sheets: https://roninarmy.com/forum/dragon-age-rpg-age-system/modern-age/8450-age-fan-made-character-sheets

Comment

While there are general trends for what Incessance affects the final rules are always plane by plane, according to the rules box for a given plane.

Cyborgs are indeed technologically enhanced humans. Remember in AGE we try to stick to natural language instead of wacky object-oriented terminology that ends with Divine Thunder Latte bonuses. You are allowed to intuit.

I'm at Gencon right now so replies may be delayed. Lucky right now I am doing laundry!
      Last edited by Malcolm; 5th August 2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Got the preorder and PDF today. I've been reading through the PDF and hopefully we'll be playing a game soon!
        ᛬ᚼᛁᚾᛋᛁᚴᛁᚾ᛬ᛁᛘ᛬ᛁᚴ᛬

Comment

Originally posted by mrkwnzl View Post
          I'm not through the book, yet, but I really like what I've read so far. The Metacosm seems well fleshed out, which is a plus. There's lots of room the the PCs and ideas how adventures in this setting could look like.

There's a system for rituals which let you use psionics over great distances and even psionics you haven't learned, yet. That is exceptionally cool and a great addition for every urban fantasy game.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the nomenclature and categorization. There's always not only one name for a thing and there's so much gods and forces and laws and organizations that I haven't got a good overview, yet. That's not bad, per se, but it makes reading through the history difficult for me. I need time and quiet to read through it.

Here and there there’s a bit ambiguity, I think. Most notably in the case of Incessanse. I read through the rules a few times and I'm not sure I get how it works. Not that the rules are difficult to grasp, but I'm not sure when to apply the rules. I don't have a tight enough grasp the the metaphysics of the game to decide that. For example, does someone with technological enhancements count as a cyborg? Do extraordinary powers get a penalty on planes other than Earth-worlds? Does the Occult get a penalty on Otherworlds? There are some spots in the rule that seem to contradict each other. The book doesn't do the best job explaining that, I think.
          I'm really intrigued by what I'm reading in your post. I'll wait for the book to be available at my gaming store.
          marc c (also know as shesheyan on other forums)

Comment

I have a question about Incessance Tests. The DCs for a test seem a bit odd if rolling under it affects things, doesn't it? Am I just misinterpreting the rules?
            DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
            [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?manufacturers_id=648]Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchpad View Post
              I have a question about Incessance Tests. The DCs for a test seem a bit odd if rolling under it affects things, doesn't it? Am I just misinterpreting the rules?
              I believe there is no rolling under. The GM Rolls for Incessanse and objects which have a lower resistance than the roll (based on the table on page 116) are affected.

For example, if you bring a handgun and your laptop to Vigrith, the GM makes an Incessanse check. Let's say they roll a 10. On Vigrith, Incessanse checks get a +3 bonus, so the result is 13. That means your laptop (resistance 9) is affected, but your gun (resistance 15) is not.

I hope this helps.
              My AGE Character Sheets: https://roninarmy.com/forum/dragon-age-rpg-age-system/modern-age/8450-age-fan-made-character-sheets

Comment

Ah, okay. The wordage seems a bit odd in the book.
                DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
                [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?manufacturers_id=648]Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
                  While there are general trends for what Incessance affects the final rules are always plane by plane, according to the rules box for a given plane.

Cyborgs are indeed technologically enhanced humans. Remember in AGE we try to stick to natural language instead of wacky object-oriented terminology that ends with Divine Thunder Latte bonuses. You are allowed to intuit.
                  Sorry, I haven't had my book with me at the time. My point wasn't actually about enhanced humans being cyborgs in a technical term sense, but rather whether they fall in the same category as cyborgs, i.e. Technological Creatures. Sorry for being unclear.

I'll open another thread with my questions regarding Incessance. I don't want to highjack this thread.

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
                  I'm at Gencon right now so replies may be delayed. Lucky right now I am doing laundry!
                  I hope you've all had a great time.

Comment

My local game store had a copy in when I stopped by during a lunch break. I was all too happy to purchase it, and looking forward to digging into it. Just given it the briefest of skims, and looks great!

Comment

Threefold was the main reason I got into Modern AGE. I now have Modern AGE, the GM Kit, and Threefold plus I have the Companion on the way. Now to dive into lots of reading. (I am familiar with the AGE system as I also have Dragon AGE, Fantasy AGE, and the Expanse)

Comment

Found some time this morning and evening to read more deeply into Threefold. There is a some deep gnostic metaphysical technobabble going in this setting, and I am absolutely loving it. I think this is turning out to be my favorite of the planar / portal fantasy settings (The Strange, Lords of Gossamer & Shadow, etc.).

Comment

Started reading the book. Very interesting. The lexicon on page 8 is super helpful. This will tie in seamlessly with my current Pulp Weird Science 1910 campaign. Characters were tested by the local organisation to become Aethons. After four successful missions the offer will be made by the recruter at the start of the next session.
                          marc c (also know as shesheyan on other forums)

Comment

I'm gratified. One thing: If you like Threefold, get out there and talk about it. Introducing a major setting designed for long term support isn't something that happens too often these days, and for us to be able to give it everything I dream of giving it we need to spread the word!

Comment

I love this setting. Although, on considering possible campaign arcs, I noticed that I don't like the ideas of Aethon very much of what Primeline Earth should be or become, and I don't fancy the Vitane delivering Primeline Earth to Aethon.

So I'am thinking of my own smaller organization, resisting the Aethon idea of a Logos based Primeline Earth and wanting to protect some Abraxian influence on this plane. Let's call this organization the Humanidyne Institute, led by the mysterious Mrs. Fletcher, who is a rogue former AI of Aethon. The Humanidyne Institute has a planar sanctuary of sorts, a Heterarchy, where they wrestled a huge city out of the grip of the Optimate Margrave of Hullgrave and declaring the City of Gates neutral in the wars between Vitane, Peridexion and Nighthost. With the help of some other powerful Optimate the Foundation manipulated a dimension-jumping island into Primeline Earth, where this island, containing a powerful wellspring of Magic, is jumping around to avoid the Aethon. As long as the Foundation can stop Aethon from conquering and destroying or banishing the wellspring of magic, Abraxian principles maintain a strong foothold on Primeline Earth against the soulless schemes of the Machinors.

It deviates a bit from the Vitane and Aethon focus, but hey, this book is so tremendously inspiring, it get's you going even when you feel like massaging the setting a bit to your own liking!

Comment

Working...
                              X