Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Resolve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolve

I am toying with the idea of introducing a new characteristic called Resolve, essentially mental Health, which reflects a characters mental stamina, magical reserves, and sanity.

Mage
    Starting Resolve: 30+ Willpower + 1d6

Rogue
    Starting Resolve: 25+ Willpower + 1d6

Warrior
    Starting Resolve: 20+ Willpower + 1d6

Resolve replaces Magic Points for Mages, and increases at the same rate as Health. This makes Mages more powerful in terms of their magical stamina, but Resolve is also used for social combat and reduced by fear.

Resolve recovers at the same rate as Magic Points. Dropping to zero Resolve means that your character is mentally exhausted, or brow beaten. They are open to manipulation and in a fragile state of mind, and depending on how they they got to zero Resolve may flee in terror, hide and rock in a corner or collapse exhausted and listless. In horror games involving insanity, the character may even gain disorders and psychological conditions.

Social Combat
    Utilising Resolve, social combat involves a series of tests just like a physical conflict, except the purpose is to reduce a target's Resolve to zero, through social skills. Social combat plays out round by round, but its a little more abstract. To begin with everyone makes Perception (Empathy) rolls to determine what order everyone acts in.

Social Attacks
    Make a test based on your approach (Communication (Deception) to lie, Strength (Intimidation) to threaten etc). The target number is your targets Willpower plus 10 (+2 for a suitable focus to resist). If equal or greater, you have inflicted 1d6 + Willpower damage to your foes Resolve. Social Combat Stunts can modify this damage as do combat stunts. For example:

Cutting Remark (2SP: Inflict an extra 1d6 Resolve on your social attack
    Scathing Remark (5SP): inflict an extra 2d6 Resolve on your social attack

Anyway, just some thoughts. I need to flesh these out with more concrete rules. The Witcher RPG is my inspiration here, which has excellent social conflict rules.
    Last edited by Phantomdoodler; 1st April 2019, 03:54 AM.

Re: Resolve

Just looking at the numbers here, I think you might have the social encounter going on for longer than you'd want it to, if you treat resolve like HP--especially if it's your intention to have your players actually roleplay out their statements and arguments. I would probably do this as an opposed, advanced test of communication vs willpower with the TN set variably based on the quality of the roleplaying.

I use the "Conviction" rules from Blue Rose (these are essentially the same as Action Points in the companion except you get a few more but they don't regenerate at the start of the session). I've thought about implementing a system where losing a social encounter (losing face through an opposed advanced test) causes you to lose a point of conviction. This way, all players are in danger of using a valuable resource--not just mages. And it makes sense narratively--if you're publicly shamed or something, you likely have less ability to push through with force of will to succeed where you would have failed.

When I mentioned the idea of "conviction damage" to my players they started yelling in open revolt against me. Maybe next campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by redpandaalex View Post
      Just looking at the numbers here, I think you might have the social encounter going on for longer than you'd want it to, if you treat resolve like HP--especially if it's your intention to have your players actually roleplay out their statements and arguments. I would probably do this as an opposed, advanced test of communication vs willpower with the TN set variably based on the quality of the roleplaying.

I use the "Conviction" rules from Blue Rose (these are essentially the same as Action Points in the companion except you get a few more but they don't regenerate at the start of the session). I've thought about implementing a system where losing a social encounter (losing face through an opposed advanced test) causes you to lose a point of conviction. This way, all players are in danger of using a valuable resource--not just mages. And it makes sense narratively--if you're publicly shamed or something, you likely have less ability to push through with force of will to succeed where you would have failed.

When I mentioned the idea of "conviction damage" to my players they started yelling in open revolt against me. Maybe next campaign.
      Well to be honest, I havn't fleshed out Social combat yet and perhaps it could be handled as you suggest. I think Resolve is , however, still a worthy attribute for a magic point/mental damage system.

Comment

I worry that making your Social Encounter HP equivalent to your Mageís MP will make Mages very wary of getting involved in social encounters. Since they lose their spellcasting ability when they lose Resolve, I would see Mages working hard to avoid this encounters to work with a VERY LARGE amount of MP for spellcasting.

Personally I would make Resolve a separate score, represented like Health, and giving Rogues the most (say 15+Communication+1d6). They also have a Defense score for social encounters equal to 10+Willpower. Maybe call it Morale, and it can be increased by taking the Willpower (Morale) focus? Damage rolls would be anywhere between 1d6 to 3d6 depending on tactics used in the social encounter, and you could have a whole stunt table just for this kind of encounter!
        If you enjoy the AGE system you might enjoy our podcast, The Adventure Game Engine Interest Series (The AGEIS)! Formerly known as the Wonders of Thedas, we talk about all iterations of the AGE system from Dragon Age to the Expanse! We do actual plays as well as discussion episodes where we take listener questions, feature fan creations, and share news about the AGE systems! Step through the portals to see the many worlds they hide!

You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter, listen to us on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, and other places you get podcasts! You can contact us through our social media, Soundcloud, or by emailing us at ageipodcast@gmail.com !

Comment

Thinking about this again, I think I will leave social combat out of it and have Resolve purely as magic points and mental health, reduced by fear and terror based hazards.

Comment

Having a Resolve for mental/social damage is ok. But tying it to casting is a poor choice, IMO.

It cripples early level casting. And magic just really doesnít need the balancing check added - itís not as strong as in other systems.

Will there be a similar check for martial classes? If not, Iíd pass.

Comment

Working...
            X