Let's speculate about the new setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's speculate about the new setting

Anyone care to speculate about the new setting by Jaym Gates and Jack Norris that is in the works at GR, just for the fun of it?

What are probably givens:
    The core races from FAGE (Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Gnomes ...)
    Races from the Companion will probably be regionally restricted/optional.

It probably won't stray to far towards ModernAGE turf (e.g. probably no or only very few Steampunk elements). And it will probably steer clear from other GR settings, including Blue Rose, Titansgrave, Freeport, Lost Citadel and DragonAge.

I also suppose GR will try not going totally eurocentric on us; however, doing a setting based on non-western mythology might be tough in several ways - they'd need to do it in a way that feels respectful, and they also need to make it accessible.

So, what would you like to see? And what do you suppose we will see? My guess: It won't be tolkienesque epic fantasy (actually, Blue Rose already has a lot of that covered with Kern), it won't be postapocalyptic (since Lost Citadel ist coming up), it won't be Science Fantasy (because Titansgrave, and also, ModernAGE). So they'll probably go for a setting with a Sword&Sorcery vibe, but maybe more multi-cultural than you would expect. I'd love some interesting variants of the standard races.

What I wonder is whether they'll be able to pull a Dark Sun or a Eberron and put all the preset standard tropes to a new and unique use.

Re: Let's speculate about the new setting

Personally, I would imagine that it is Freeport. Freeport AGE was Kickstarted like 5 or 6 years ago, and I donít think itís been released yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
      Personally, I would imagine that it is Freeport. Freeport AGE was Kickstarted like 5 or 6 years ago, and I donít think itís been released yet.
      I don't think so - then this quote (https://greenronin.com/blog/2019/01/...nd-modern-age/)

Later in the year we should have a setting book for Fantasy AGE. Jack Norris and Jaym Gates have been working on a new setting and youíll hear more about that as the year progresses.
      would at the very least be misleading - it explicitly says that there's a new Setting in the works.

Comment

True, but Freeport AGE was a stretch goal, and AFAIK GR is obligated to fulfil it.

Comment

Freeport AGE is being worked on now, but not by Jaym and Jack.
          ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Comment

Nice! So we are getting AGE Freeport AND a new fantasy setting.

If I remember correctly, some years ago there was talk about a planned FAGE setting were the three iconic characters from the covers of the three rulebooks are featuring - the human warrior, the elf rogue and the dwarf mage. Is that it, perhaps?
            Last edited by rulandor; 6th March 2019, 08:00 AM. Reason: Correcting an errror.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakob Schmidt View Post
              Anyone care to speculate about the new setting by Jaym Gates and Jack Norris that is in the works at GR, just for the fun of it?

It probably won't stray to far towards ModernAGE turf (e.g. probably no or only very few Steampunk elements). And it will probably steer clear from other GR settings, including Blue Rose, Titansgrave, Freeport, Lost Citadel and DragonAge.

I also suppose GR will try not going totally eurocentric on us; however, doing a setting based on non-western mythology might be tough in several ways - they'd need to do it in a way that feels respectful, and they also need to make it accessible.

So, what would you like to see? And what do you suppose we will see? My guess: It won't be tolkienesque epic fantasy (actually, Blue Rose already has a lot of that covered with Kern), it won't be postapocalyptic (since Lost Citadel ist coming up), it won't be Science Fantasy (because Titansgrave, and also, ModernAGE). So they'll probably go for a setting with a Sword&Sorcery vibe, but maybe more multi-cultural than you would expect. I'd love some interesting variants of the standard races.

What I wonder is whether they'll be able to pull a Dark Sun or a Eberron and put all the preset standard tropes to a new and unique use.
              Maybe we will finally get Dragon Fist!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_Sunday View Post
                Maybe we will finally get Dragon Fist!
                Heck, yeah! That would be fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Fildrigar View Post
                  Heck, yeah! That would be fantastic!
                  I still have a copy of the Dragon Fist PDF when WotC released it way back 1999 or so. Here is a link to the cover for a Green Ronin release on Amazon UK. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Fist.../dp/193244260X . The cover looks amazing!
                  Last edited by Jason_Sunday; 6th March 2019, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakob Schmidt View Post

So I'm not going to just lay everything out but...there's some good guess here.

I will say we are looking hard at what races to use. Originally I intended to use all the ones we've presented. Then, honestly? I realized we had good ideas for some races and others felt like they were being included for the sake of doing so. So it will be a mix of core races and companion races and maybe a couple new ones (okay definitely one or two new ones).

So it won't be too Modern AGE but...

I really want to allow use of all the Companion specializations. This means at least some setting elements of technology or magical enchantment need to be there, if only in some areas or regions. However, advanced tech or mystical elements may not be always widely used or well established.

Yes to "not entirely Eurocentric". There will be some European elements, but not exclusively. I'd generally like to keep most parts of the setting from not feeling just like "fantasy (insert Earth location and time here)".

Yes to sword and sorcery vibe. And yes, it won't be post-apocalyptic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
                      So, PRE-apocalyptic?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
                        Originally posted by Fildrigar View Post
                        So, PRE-apocalyptic?
                        Maybe post-post-apocalyptic? AKA what D&D always wants to be.

Comment

Working...
                        X