Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Homebrew Jousting Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Jousting Rules

I recently had a tourney in my Westeros-set campaign, so I had to homebrew some rules for a joust that I wanted to share.

Narratively, I said that the master of games declared that joust would last until one was unhorsed, however many clashes that took. Mechanically, I set it up as an opposed advanced test, with every successful test representing a hit to the shield or shoulder, testing the defender's resolve and getting closer to unseating him.

I created four stats for each contestant based on their character sheets. In some instances, I gave bonuses for talents that I thought seemed relevant but wouldn't normally mechanically come into play since it was an advance test and not full combat.

Attack: This is the primary 3d6 modifier for the test. It's basically the character's Fighting (lances) stat, but I also gave +1 bonuses for mounted combat talents.

Power: On successful hits, this is a bonus to add to the test total in addition to the stunt die. I gave +1 for a Strength (might) stat of 4 or more and for strength-based talents like Mighty Thews, and the Knight specialization since that normally increases mounted damage with lances.

Defense: This is the target number for the opponent to hit with attack rolls. But I didn't just take the character's defense. It's 10+Dexterity (Riding). This is because I didn't want to take shields into account--a hard hit to the shield could still unhorse you. I also gave +1 bonuses to talents in horsemanship.

Resistance: This is the test total that your opponent needs to reach to unhorse you. It can be thought of as analogous to health (and I found it easier for the character being hit to keep track of it, just like damage). I set this as level+constitution+dexterity (riding) with +1 bonuses for talents in armor training and weapon and shield. Note that armor doesn't reduce how much "damage" gets through here.

--------------

I also allowed the use of certain stunts at their normal value, with slightly different effects.

Might Blow: +1 to Power on this hit.
    Defensive Stance: +2 to Defense for this clash.
    Lethal Blow: +2 to Power on this hit.

----------------

Here are stat blocks for three knights designed to be easy, achievable but challenging, and difficult for a level 8 character.

Hedge Knight
    Attack: +5
    Power: +1
    Defense: 13
    Resistance: 10

Household Knight
    Attack: +7
    Power: +2
    Defense: 14
    Resistance: 16

Landed Knight
    Attack: +8
    Power: +4
    Defense: 15
    Resistance: 20

-----------------

I ran this yesterday and it worked really well. But I should say that I asked my PCs to give me their character sheets ahead of time and I generated their jousting stats ahead of time, but once they had them it was pretty easy to explain how it was going to work.
    I will say that I had no plan for what happened if there was a tie, which was very possible since the opposed tests were happening simultaneously. Fortunately it didn't come up!

Re: Homebrew Jousting Rules

Pretty cool. Maybe on a tie, both riders get unhorsed at the same time. I remember seeing this happen in a movie or two.

Comment

Working...
    X