Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Beefing Up Adversaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kot the Protector
    replied
    Re: Beefing Up Adversaries

Templates are always fun!

Leave a comment:

• Sketchpad
    replied

Originally posted by mdlthree View Post
    They sort of did something like that in the Fantasy AGE Bestiary - starting on page 133 called "Modifying Monsters"
    I was thinking something with a bit more meat. Like the Advanced Bestiary GR made for Pathfinder.

Leave a comment:

• mdlthree
    replied

Originally posted by Sketchpad View Post
    I would love to see something like the Advanced Bestiary available in Fantasy AGE flavor.
    They sort of did something like that in the Fantasy AGE Bestiary - starting on page 133 called "Modifying Monsters"

Leave a comment:

• Sketchpad
    replied

I would love to see something like the Advanced Bestiary available in Fantasy AGE flavor.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied

Thanks all. That answers my query

Leave a comment:

• shonuff
    replied

Originally posted by Kot the Protector View Post
    I believe the intent was that you just add what the template asks you to add. Adding both is probably more than they intend for you to do with an adversary, but if you need a nasty challenge that stacking of templates can make a solid threat.
    Yeah. The templates are really a quick and dirty GM tool to make beefier adversaries. There's nothing to stop you from using multiple templates other than at that point you're really better off just making your own -- or customizing and applying templates to them.

Leave a comment:

• Kot the Protector
    replied

I believe the intent was that you just add what the template asks you to add. Adding both is probably more than they intend for you to do with an adversary, but if you need a nasty challenge that stacking of templates can make a solid threat.

Leave a comment:

• shonuff
    replied

You apply the template, so it would be to the base stats.

Leave a comment:

• rulandor
    replied

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Quick question regarding the adjustments for making creatures Elite, Heroic or Epic. (Page 104 of the Basic Rules). Are the modifications for each category cumulative?

For example if I want to make an Elite version of a creature I apply the modifications listed next to Elite. That is straightforward.

If I wanted to make a Heroic version of a creature, do I first apply the modifications for Elite, and then the modifications for Heroic? Or do I ignore the modifications for Elite and just apply the modifications for Heroic to the base creature?

I guess it does not matter either way so long as the creature is balanced against the player characters. But for the sake of completeness, I was wondering what the official way of doing it is (assuming there is one).

Thanks in Advance.
    I always applied the modifications in a cumulative way. Since I compared them with the rules for NPCs of different threat levels in the FAGE companion, however, I became doubtful. The cumulative approach seems a bit like overkill. An official ruling would be most welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    started a topic Beefing Up Adversaries

Beefing Up Adversaries

Quick question regarding the adjustments for making creatures Elite, Heroic or Epic. (Page 104 of the Basic Rules). Are the modifications for each category cumulative?

For example if I want to make an Elite version of a creature I apply the modifications listed next to Elite. That is straightforward.

If I wanted to make a Heroic version of a creature, do I first apply the modifications for Elite, and then the modifications for Heroic? Or do I ignore the modifications for Elite and just apply the modifications for Heroic to the base creature?

I guess it does not matter either way so long as the creature is balanced against the player characters. But for the sake of completeness, I was wondering what the official way of doing it is (assuming there is one).

Thanks in Advance.
Working...
X