Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FANTASY AGE: Accuracy (Arcane Blast) Focus: is it for free for 1st level mages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FANTASY AGE: Accuracy (Arcane Blast) Focus: is it for free for 1st level mages?

Hi everybody: is the Accuracy (Arcane Blast) for free at 1st level for mages? Do they receive it automatically, since they have the Arcane Blast Class Feature at 1st level? Many Thanks Again, happy life and good gaming to everyone

Re: FANTASY AGE: Accuracy (Arcane Blast) Focus: is it for free for 1st level mages?

No, mages do not receive the Accuracy (Arcane Blast) focus as part of their level 1 perks. They only receive the Arcane Blast class spell/ability which is not the same as the focus. This class ability is not like picking a journeyman talent tier in an arcana, where the focus comes with a new spell.
    [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Re: FANTASY AGE: Accuracy (Arcane Blast) Focus: is it for free for 1st level mages?

No, in the same way that Warriors and Rogues don't get a free Weapon Group focus at 1st level.

Now it probably wouldn't break the game if it was given, the same as giving Warriors/Rogues a free Weapon Group focus wouldn't break the game. But it would bump up the power of PCs a bit, most characters will have about four focuses at 1st level (2-3 racial, 1 background, maybe one from their class), and then gain one a level. The higher the character's level is the less the power boost, because the additional focus is a smaller proportion of the character's total number of focuses.

Although the game also doesn't break if you hand out a bunch of additional focuses. I'm considering making a lifepath system, where you pick/roll your character's social class, pick/roll your character's upbringing (get a focus) pick/roll your character's profession (get a focus), pick/roll your character's defining event (get a focus), and then pick/roll your character's most important relationship, possibly more if I decide to have it replace Race as well (in which case your social class will give +1 to an ability). So instead of just being a soldier with their choice of focuses you might have been born into the Upper Class, raised as a squire (focus Dexterity (Riding) or Intelligence (Tactics)), served as a military officer (focus Intelligence (Logistics)* or one weapon group), and had a defining event of failing to hold a fort against overwhelming odds (focus Dexterity (Stealth) or Willpower (Courage)), with your most important relationship being a family member. Or be born into the lower class, be brought up as a labourer, have a profession of tavern worker, a defining event of surviving tragedy, and your most important relationship being with a mentor.

But then again I think F-AGE gives too few focuses to 1st level characters. The point is the game isn't really unbalanced by an extra focus or two as long as everybody gets it.

* Yeah, I'm also including a bunch of new focuses

Comment

Working...
      X