Arcane Candle vs Arcane Lantern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcane Candle vs Arcane Lantern

Can we get clarification on the Arcane Candle spell? With 1 MP and no spell target number, you've got a mobile light source that can hover up to 10 yards away for 8 hours, versus Arcane Lantern which costs 2MP per hour, is always centered on the caster, emanates light within a 10 yard radius, and has a target number of 8.

As written, Arcane Candle is the far superior spell - cheaper, easier to cast, and further range, so if you are using Minor Arcana, there is no logical reason anyone would waste a spell choice on Arcane Lantern.

(For those thinking they have the same range, the spell states "The arcane candlelight hovers near the mage’s head or shoulder, but can move anywhere within 10 yards at the mage’s direction.". If the candle has a glow radius of even 5 yards, that radius starts where the candle is situated. So if the candle is 10 yards away, the light of the candle extends a further 5 yards, given the illumination and effective range of 15 yards.)

Re: Arcane Candle vs Arcane Lantern

Just reread the spell descriptions, and I presume that the Arcane Candle isn't equal to Arcane Lantern with regard to light intensity, although, as no rules for that are given, the narrator would have to improvise.

A single candle doesn't illuminate very much, giving only shapes and outlines.

In my games I would always rule: when a dark environment is to be illuminated magically, the Arcane Lantern reveals faces, features and textures, the Arcane Candle only flickering outlines.

Comment

Originally posted by rulandor View Post
      Just reread the spell descriptions, and I presume that the Arcane Candle isn't equal to Arcane Lantern with regard to light intensity, although, as no rules for that are given, the narrator would have to improvise.
      And really, that would be all the clarification required: give it an effective 1 yard radius, and it could be sufficiently nerfed. Make it cost a minor action to move the candle, and that also impedes it.

Hopefully, someone from GR has an "official" ruling.

Comment

Originally posted by dcoughler View Post

Hopefully, someone from GR has an "official" ruling.
        You are quite right, but until then I think you found the perfect house rule for the problem.

Comment

Not a direct answer but I would equate Arcane Candle with a Candle (a simple wax candle that illuminates a small 2-yard radius) and Arcane Lantern with a Lantern (it normally illuminates a wider area, a 10-yard radius).

If there was such a thing as an Arcane Lamp, then that might illuminate a 6-yard radius

As a matter of interest, where does Arcane Candle (and Minor Arcana) come from? I'm a newbie at Fantasy Age

Comment

Originally posted by xris View Post
            As a matter of interest, where does Arcane Candle (and Minor Arcana) come from? I'm a newbie at Fantasy Age
            The Minor Arcana (including Arcane Candle) are from the Fantasy Age Companion.

Comment

Originally posted by rulandor View Post
              The Minor Arcana (including Arcane Candle) are from the Fantasy Age Companion.
              Thanks. I haven't seen the Companion available in my LFGS so I ordered it on-line (I'm in the UK so ordered it from Wordery.com, another decent on-line book store like BookDespository, Booksetc, Blackwells).

Comment

Originally posted by xris View Post
                Thanks. I haven't seen the Companion available in my LFGS so I ordered it on-line (I'm in the UK so ordered it from Wordery.com, another decent on-line book store like BookDespository, Booksetc, Blackwells).
                Thank you very much for that information! I just visited the Wordery website, and they have free worldwide delivery! Currently the FAGE Companion is available there for a little over 28 Euro (an information for all the people who still try to get the book).

Comment

Working...
                X